Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

zabbo wrote:
    Kromkamp looked out of sorts on saturday
    How does he normally look? Can't expect much from him, he won't have played since whenever their winter break started and needs to get up to speed e.t.c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Technically this is the 2000th reply

technically, maybe. but in reality, mine was :)
    Any word on a right winger? Kromkamp looked out of sorts on saturday

he was playing on the right of midfield as a wing back, not really his postion. and it was a stupid decision to put him on in that match to be honest

sometimes rafa makes subs that boggle the mind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

el rabitos wrote:
    and it was a stupid decision to put him on in that match to be honest

sometimes rafa makes subs that boggle the mind

Ehhh, what? Could you explain how that was a 'stupid' decision? I think rafa made a tactical decision to introduce him and it worked. It also gave him a brief introduction to the physical side of the game in england. Now he didn't look overly fantastic but I'm willing to give him a chance considering he's played less than a half a game for the club....

Ehhh, what? Could you explain how that was a 'stupid' decision? I think rafa made a tactical decision to introduce him and it worked. It also gave him a brief introduction to the physical side of the game in england. Now he didn't look overly fantastic but I'm willing to give him a chance considering he's played less than a half a game for the club....

a player coming from the spanish league who hasnt played a match since before xmas, would not be the first player i'd be looking to stick on in a match of that nature, theres plenty of teams in the premiership that play in a physical manner that he could have been played against.

to think kronkamp would make any impression on the game is mind boggling imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I was only saying kromkamp looked out of sorts to have something to post for the 2000th reply ;)

Didn't expect much from him, and thought it was a good idea to bring him on as an introduction to English football, maybe he'll get another run out on Saturday.

FA Premiership
    Liverpool -VS- Tottenham
    14 Jan 06 — 3.00pm — LIVE RTE Two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

FA Premiership
    Liverpool -VS- Tottenham
    14 Jan 06 — 3.00pm — LIVE RTE Two

I'd say komcramp will get a run out on this one, nice to see a new face in the squad also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Thats a quality game there on Sat. Hope it matches the quality of last season's game.

Kudos to RTE.

Martin poised for Liverpool move
    MK Dons goalkeeper David Martin will travel to Anfield on Wednesday to discuss a move to Liverpool.
    The 19-year-old has made three LDV Vans Trophy appearances for the Dons but Reds boss Rafael Benitez has earmarked him as a star of the future.

Martin, the son of former West Ham defender Alvin Martin, spent four days on trial at Liverpool before Christmas, playing in one reserve game.

A nominal fee is believed to have been agreed between the clubs.

Martin would join fellow goalkeepers Jerzy Dudek, Scott Carson and Jose Reina at the club.

Another Liverpool keeper, Chris Kirkland, is currently on loan at West Brom.

Rafa's plans for the club are becoming alot clearer, we shall build a team of goalkeepers! then no strikeforce in the land will penetrate our defence made up entirely of the worlds finest shot stoppers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

The Agger deal is pretty much done at this stage. Everyone knows he had agreed personal terms and the stumbling block was the fee. This now seems to have been sorted. Agger was interviewed on Danish TV today and his response was:

"I cant really say anything but i know whats going to happen."

Good enough for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

A €15 million deal to bring Simao Sabrosa to anfield is rumoured to be complete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

That'll be news to many, maybe Rafa was playing it cool but everything seemed to be pointing in the opposite direction.

Mike.

If we get both Agger and Simao I'll be delighted. I can't claim to know too much about either but they seem to fit the bill for what we're looking for in terms of position perfectly, after that it's often down to luck whether a player comes good or not.

The latest spanner in the Agger move is that he's been called up to a 3 week Danish u-21 training camp in Chile (ffs!).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

From SSN

"Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has confirmed his interest in Deportivo La Coruna duo Fabricio Coloccini and Cesar.

Benitez is keen to bolster his squad during this month's transfer window and has not hidden his desire to bring in a new central defender.

A number of players have been linked with Liverpool including Brondby's Daniel Agger and Benitez has now revealed Coloccini and Cesar are on his list of targets. "

I wonder if this is just a smoke screen to push the agger deal through with Bronby reportedly looking for an increased fee. Although Rafa was looking at Coloccini in the summer iirc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Yeah, read a quote from Bronby today saying they'd like to keep him and it puts them in a good position should they sell... typical! Nice to see Rafa's having none of it.

yom 1 wrote:
    From SSN

"Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez has confirmed his interest in Deportivo La Coruna duo Fabricio Coloccini and Cesar.

Benitez is keen to bolster his squad during this month's transfer window and has not hidden his desire to bring in a new central defender.

A number of players have been linked with Liverpool including Brondby's Daniel Agger and Benitez has now revealed Coloccini and Cesar are on his list of targets. "

I wonder if this is just a smoke screen to push the agger deal through with Bronby reportedly looking for an increased fee. Although Rafa was looking at Coloccini in the summer iirc.

He stated that about 6 weeks ago. I think it is smokescreen stuff alright but you just never know. There was a strong rumour we had agreed a loan deal for galletti but that died recently too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

rondeco wrote:

Rondeco, I agree with el rabitos. That was not a game to blood Kromkamp. Give him a sub role at Anfield, in his preferred position. If he comes on at RB for Finnan, so be it.

I'll be giving him at least 600 mins of football before I cast my final vote on how well he fits into the team, but no doubt like all of you, I'll have a trend of where my opinion is heading long before that. It also remains to be seen where Rafa will play him in hos formation and what his exact plans are for him, utility and ideal as a sub, or else CB, RB or midfield.

redspider

ps: Thanks Call_me_Al for changing your sig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

FRom skysports news looks like Rafa is looking at other options now that the Simao deal seems to have stalled!
    Liverpool are believed to have turned their attentions to Italian international Aimo Diana as they search for a new midfielder.

Reports emanating from Italy claim Liverpool have made an offer for the Sampdoria star.

Liverpool are in the market for a right-sided midfielder with Rafa Benitez scouring the transfer market since last summer for a player to fill the problematic position.

It seems likely that Liverpool are set to miss out on top target Simao Sabrosa with Benfica keen to keep the Portuguese international.

The European champions are now thought to be considering a move to lure Diana to Anfield.

The 28-year-old is highly rated at Sampdoria and is in the running to make the Italy squad for this summer's World Cup finals.

Another option for Liverpool could be Sevilla's Daniel Alves.

Liverpool have been long-term admirers of Alves and tried to sign him in the summer, but without success.

The Reds could make a new move for Alves this month, but they could face fierce competition from Barcelona with the Camp Nou titans believed to have first refusal on the player.

Meanwhile, one player who seems set to be on his way to Anfield is MK Dons youngster David Martin.

Martin enjoyed a trial at Liverpool at the end of last year and he is believed to have impressed the coaching staff at Anfield.

Liverpool have now decided to offer Martin a deal and he is expected to sign a contract in the near future.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Rafa should keep his options open...we got stung in the summer when a few deals fell through.

redspider wrote:
    Rondeco, I agree with el rabitos. That was not a game to blood Kromkamp. Give him a sub role at Anfield, in his preferred position. If he comes on at RB for Finnan, so be it.

I'll be giving him at least 600 mins of football before I cast my final vote on how well he fits into the team, but no doubt like all of you, I'll have a trend of where my opinion is heading long before that. It also remains to be seen where Rafa will play him in hos formation and what his exact plans are for him, utility and ideal as a sub, or else CB, RB or midfield.

I personally think he was brought in just to cover for finnan in case of injury and the necessity to have competition for places. If Josemi wasn't happy with life at Anfield, his football would definitely have suffered. I agree with you about having an opinion on him forming over time. I just thought that his decision to bring him on on saturday was a correct one and one that worked in stifling their midfield.

I wanted him to start the match, so I was happy that he got the small amount of time that he did. If it's true that he's the main starter at right back for Holland then I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to take Finnan's place and not just be there to provide decent cover. Certainly approaching the World Cup he's not going to be content to join the club with the purpose of sitting on the bench.

Seems we're no clearer to buying anybody in any of the other positions but I'm happy to be patient if it means we get the right people in 6 or 12 months down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

If Kromkamp comes into the team almost straight away at RB, I'd have no problem seeing Finnan play at RM, which frees SG up to going back in the middle. Finnan is more than capable of playing out wide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Im not so sure, Lex Luthor. I mean ive yet to see Kromkamp passing ability. But for me one of the most important parts of Liverpool's attack is the quality of Finnan's passing & crossing ability from that deep position at Right Back. Im not so sure that if he were on the Right wing that the oppostion's full back would give him the time to deliver the same sort of quality from there.

Anyways, it looks like Sinama will be staying on, so he could still do a job there if need be, although he has impressed upfront.

Liverpool have after letting that Depor. Saprissa winger go. His trial has finished but must not have done enough to impress.

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=16566749&method=full&siteid=50061&headline=liverpool-conclude-bolanos-trial-spell-name_page.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The Agger deal is pretty much done at this stage. Everyone knows he had agreed personal terms and the stumbling block was the fee. This now seems to have been sorted. Agger was interviewed on Danish TV today and his response was:

"I cant really say anything but i know whats going to happen."

Good enough for me.

Danish TV seems to think it ain't so clear cut.

http://www.liverpool4ever.dk/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=138
    According to several danish media, Tottenham have joined Liverpool in the race to sign Brondby defender Daniel Agger.
    Chief executive, Per Bjerregaard Brondby, confirmed that two Premier League clubs are in the race for Agger.

The 21-year-old Danish international remains high on the wanted list of Rafael Benitez, but also Tottenham, Juventus and Bayern Munich have reportedly joined Liverpool in the race.

Allegedly one of the Danish networks have said that Spurs enquired about his price, and where willing to meet the asking price. TBH, its come out of nowhere so I'd take it with a pinch of salt, but might be an attempt by Brondby to light a fire under Liverpool (though what they can achieve with the fella in Chile I don't know)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Just leave the deal, hes not worth 7 million. Spurs are entitled to him. Its getting abit tedious everytime we go to sign a player then magically 20 teams join the race for his signature, tell em to go and whistle, rafa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

mellor in talks with hearts

Yes, I read that Mellor is in talks so is likely to head off.
    p.pete wrote:
    (on Kromkamp) If it's true that he's the main starter at right back for Holland then I wouldn't be surprised if he manages to take Finnan's place and not just be there to provide decent cover.

Dont let positions of players in the Dutch team confuse. Holland have a history of playing midfielders, even attacking ones at left back and right back. Van Bronckhurst for example played LB and he is clearly not a defender.

Kromkamp is a utility player as he can play in several positions. For a Centre Back, he did ok last week as right midfield. But for a right midfielder, he wasnt great, although we wont judge! What Rafa has in store for him is not clear to me.

I think Rafa would be mad to put Kromkamp in at RB and remove Finnan, who is now established in the team this year and playing well. Dont fix whats not broke.

And Finnan is not good enough for RM, RB is his position, lets keep him there.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Regarding Mellor, saw a rumour somewhere that Mellor could be used as a possible makeweight in a deal to bring Walcott to Anfield from Southampton.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Looks like Agger is after signing, there is a rumour going around that we are in negotiations with Benefica over Simano now.
    Anfield bound Agger jets in

Jan 11 2006

Exclusive By Chris Bascombe, Liverpool Echo

DANIEL AGGER arrived at Anfield today to complete a £5.8m transfer from Brondby.

The Danish club gave the European Champions permission to meet the 21-year-old international defender after Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry flew out to Denmark earlier this week.

A fee was finally agreed this morning, allowing Agger the chance to become the second Anfield recruit of the transfer window, subject to a medical.

Rafa Benitez believes the youngster can offer an instant threat to the places of Sami Hyypia and Jamie Carragher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

wo0T!!

• Advertisement

Agger-do-do-do! Sorry. :o

Mike.

Looks like Flo-Po is going nowhere this transfer window

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4601458.stm

Good stuff, I'd keep him and sell Cisse (in the summer) if it came down to a choice.

Mike.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    wo0T!!
    x 2 :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

mike65 wrote:
    Agger-do-do-do! Sorry. :o

Mike.

Put the pineapple down and step away from the tree ;)

Benitez: New boy Agger can step straight in Previous 1 2

"We've been told he's one of the best centre-halves in Denmark for 20 years. A lot of scouts have spoken highly of him and there has been lots of interest from other clubs.

"People will remember he played particularly well in an international against England earlier this season. We'd already watched and asked about the player before then.

"That match surprised a lot of people, but it confirmed to us he could play at a particularly high level, which is why we've continued to follow him.

Agger would strengthen Benitez's defensive options which have been stretched due to a dependency on Carragher and Hyypia.

Last weekend's thrilling FA Cup win underlined why the overworked pair need some help, and Benitez will have no hesitation thrusting the Dane into immediate action.

Linkage.

Hopefully we can swap Traore for a right midfielder next :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

RAFA BENITEZ today revealed why Liverpool were prepared to break their club record for a centre half by pursuing Brondby's Daniel Agger.

Benitez has trailed numerous centre-halves since last August, but all roads finally led to the 21-year-old who ticked every box on the Liverpool's manager's checklist.

The Reds originally failed in a bid to sign Agger during the summer and feared Brondby's valuation would price them out of a deal.

Uncertain of Agger's availability, Benitez turned his attention elsewhere and briefly pursued Manchester United's new recruit Nemanja Vidic.

When that interest cooled following talks with the Serbian, Benitez decided his initial instincts were correct.

He turned his attentions back to Agger.

Providing there are no last minute hitches Benitez has backed his imminent recruit to mount an immediate challenge to the bedrocks of Liverpool's defence, Jamie Carragher and Sami Hyypia.

"Daniel is a player we have been following for a long time," revealed Benitez today.

"We first spoke to Brondby about the player when we were in Monaco playing the Super Cup final. At that time, their chairman said he wasn't for sale.

"We scouted Daniel for a long time but then he picked up an injury. When he returned to fitness we watched his first game back and we knew he was at the kind of level we require, even though he played only 25 minutes.
    "We've been told he's one of the best centre-halves in Denmark for 20 years. A lot of scouts have spoken highly of him and there has been lots of interest from other clubs.

"People will remember he played particularly well in an international against England earlier this season. We'd already watched and asked about the player before then.

"That match surprised a lot of people, but it confirmed to us he could play at a particularly high level, which is why we've continued to follow him.

Agger would strengthen Benitez's defensive options which have been stretched due to a dependency on Carragher and Hyypia.

Last weekend's thrilling FA Cup win underlined why the overworked pair need some help, and Benitez will have no hesitation thrusting the Dane into immediate action.

So what kind of qualities will be bring to the back four?

"I wouldn't say he was a particularly aggressive style of player," said Benitez.

"I think he is a very clever type of defender. His positional sense is very good, for example, and he reads the game well. Of course, there are areas he needs to improve, but he is young and we will help him.

"He will be an option for the first team within a short space of time. First he will need to improve his

physical condition but then he will put both Sami and Carra under pressure for their place. This is an area where we've had no competition until now.

"He can't play in the Champions League, but when you sign a player who's only 21 years old, he is for the future of the club, not for a competition in which we have a maximum of seven games left.

"If we have to play seven more games in Europe without players who are cup-tied, it will be a welcome problem."

I have a good feeling about this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

me too. Now Rafa, buy a right midfielder and I will be mucho happy!

not a damn thing about it on the official site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Lets hope he doesn't turn out to be like Kvarme...he was supposed to be an up & coming aggressive Scandanavian defender also

• Advertisement

Lets hope he doesn't turn out to be like Kvarme...he was supposed to be an up & coming aggressive Scandanavian defender also

i hear that. lets hope for another stig inge bjyornabie (or however the hell its spelt) :p

You mean hope he is as unlucky with injury!?

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Except this guy is an up-and-coming non-aggressive, intelligent defender, which is what I'd much prefer to see... a young player in the Hyypia mould. We've got the aggression and passion of Carragher for the next few years, he'll need somebody calm next to him to compliment his "heart on his sleeve" style of play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

el rabitos wrote:
    not a damn thing about it on the official site

Nor will there be until it's completely done & dusted, they don't usually comment until a player has signed on the dotted line for obvious reasons.

Delighted Agger has signed, I've read nothing but good things about him from a range of sources over the last month or so. Now let's get this right wing sorted:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

EDIT: Snap Pete:)

• Advertisement

what can i say, i just like it to be official before i start going all man u fan-like and saying he's the best defendor evor :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Now for a right midfielder....

Seems like a reasonable deal for Agger. He could turn out to be a decent player as he is a mere 21-year old.

The only downside I see with this deal is the price. The guts of 6m is a lot to give away for such a player. Like many signings of this type, it may turn out to be a bargain, but its a bit of a gamble, although one that Rafa/Liverpool Board have to take. Maybe 3m or 4m would have been better.

redspider

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Have to agree with Red Spider but remember everyone said that about sissoko and he is shapping up to be a fantastic player!!
    Any1 got anything on our right sided midfielder yet??

redspider wrote:

The only downside I see with this deal is the price. The guts of 6m is a lot to give away for such a player. Like many signings of this type, it may turn out to be a bargain, but its a bit of a gamble, although one that Rafa/Liverpool Board have to take. Maybe 3m or 4m would have been better.

redspider

Its been reported that a large % of the payment is dependant on Agger making 100 appearances for us. Now that is top class business!:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement