Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I dont want Defoe and would sooner se a deal was done to bring back GOD!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hear hear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

mike65 wrote:
    I dont want Defoe and would sooner se a deal was done to bring back GOD!

Mike.

Definitely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

By GOD I assume you mean Fowler?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

theres another god? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

el rabitos wrote:
    theres another god? :)
    Yeah he's playing up front for Birmingham City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

What would be the best way to bring back Fowler to Anfield?
    Pay as you play scheme?

Assuming that City were going to allow him to leave and that Rafa wanted him, would his legs still hold up for 90 minutes or would he be used as a last throw of the match type player?

Yeah he's playing up front for Birmingham City

birmingham have a goal difference of -16, whatever god ur on about must be scratching his arse in the dressing room

I was under the impression it was owen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Nahh, its Fowler.

From Wikipedia:
    Fowler joined FA Premier League club Liverpool F.C. as a trainee in 1992 and made his Liverpool debut in 1993, scoring against Fulham in the League Cup. Selected for the starting line-up in the return leg at Anfield, Fowler scored five goals to endear himself to the Kop, which soon gave him the nickname "God".

• Advertisement

nah, thats judas :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sadly Rafa would not be intersted, Fowler is 'old' Liverpool not new Liverpool.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Davei141 wrote:

:D:D:D:D

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

And Fowler is still adding to his God status every time City play Utd, by holding up 5 fingers (this season) the utd fans. Recently upgraded from the traditional 4 finger salute :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Rumour on a few websites is that he is going to be signed back, the only thing that will mess up the deal is if city want demand a transfer fee. Probably a load of rubbish but it cheered up my Monday morning. :) I going to believe it even if it is probably a load or cr**!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I would be shocked if Liverpool signed Fowler. Although a better finisher than perhaps some that we have now, he is well past his best.

We need a striker, but someone else. Defoe is good, breathtaking at times, but I cant see Spurs selling him to Liverpool. They will probably keep him until the summer and offload him to a "mid-table" team. I would take him though if he was reasonably priced.

Getting a new striker is not easy, and I'm sure Liverpool have a large database of potentials. Would Charlton sell their starlet, a swap for Cisse? A bold move perhaps.

redspider

I was thinking about Bent aswell, hes fast, great control and a brilliant finisher.

I was watching Sinclair vs Utd and couldnt help but think "I hope Rafa's watching this match" ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Davei141 wrote:
    I was watching Sinclair vs Utd and couldnt help but think "I hope Rafa's watching this match" ;).
    We're playing United on Sunday, you can be sure it'll be watched ;)

Apparently we are in for fowler. We have approached city for him on free transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

rondeco wrote:
    Apparently we are in for fowler. We have approached city for him on free transfer.

Errr..I hope Liverpool dont sign Fowler. Hes too old. Liverpool need a top class striker not a has been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

rondeco wrote:
    Source?

BTW - my two cents... would love to see him back - he still has the talent - could be developed into a more canny, elder statesman type forward - with the right guidance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭meldrew

I'd love to see Fowler back he never should have gone in the first place

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Source?

BTW - my two cents... would love to see him back - he still has the talent - could be developed into a more canny, elder statesman type forward - with the right guidance.
    Is that the type of striker we want / need? And I endorse the "Source?" comment, I've had a look and all I can see is that 2 championship sides want him on loan and he'll probably not get another contract at city...

Its from a reliable poster on koptalk. He's been correct a good few times before. I know its not 100% reliable but at least it has put me in great form for the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

If Fowler rejoined on a free, on sensible wages, then it wouldn't be a bad move for pool. Crouch & Fowler would be an interesting front two, worth a try in the short term if its not costing much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Reports that Chelsea are trying to steal Simao from Liverpool. They are willing to pay 15m and leave him play with Benfica for the rest of the season.
    This means that they will buy him and let him play against us in the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Fowler won't be brought back, it doesnt fit in with Rafa's policy on players.
    i.e. to old. It's a shame it wont happen but hey we move on.

Simao deal seems umder threat which is a problem. Chelsea interest will push the price through the roof so the plug will more than likely be pulled.

but the resolution could be most interesting

Theo Walcott
    http://www.football365.com/teams/liverpool/story_174517.shtml

would be over the moon to get him. Right side of mid field fixed for the next 10-14 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Benitez did bring in Pellegrino. Didnt work, but doesnt mean he wouldnt try something similar again. He'll know how successful McAllister was. I can't see it happening, but if it did he'd certainly be the best finisher at the club.

Lawrenson mentioned on the BBC over the weekend (Football Focus I think) that Walcott's Dad is a "massive Liverpool fan".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

There are also rumours that fowler is going to Tranmere, which makes more sense....

• Advertisement

Benitez did bring in Pellegrino. Didnt work, but doesnt mean he wouldnt try something similar again. He'll know how successful McAllister was. I can't see it happening, but if it did he'd certainly be the best finisher at the club.
    Pellegrinho and McAllister were completely different characters and had no previous history at the club. Fowler has a massive history - we'd all (most/some of us anyway) love to see him bang in a few goals. It'd be a massive headache for Benitez though, everytime he didn't play the ageing frontman there'd be disappointment. He could prove disruptive and overall I don't see why Benitez would want to take on the problem...
    Lawrenson mentioned on the BBC over the weekend (Football Focus I think) that Walcott's Dad is a "massive Liverpool fan".
    Yeah, that's what I heard - the Da's a fan and the kid idolises Henry.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Maybe fowler is returning in more of a player/coach role to help younger players develop??

jonny24ie wrote:
    Maybe fowler is returning in more of a player/coach role to help younger players develop??
    Why? he has rent to collect and horses to run...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

rondeco wrote:
    Its from a reliable poster on koptalk. He's been correct a good few times before. I know its not 100% reliable but at least it has put me in great form for the day.

Reliable and Koptalk in the same sentance? Wow. Can't see it happening for 100s of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,091 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I personally would absolutely love to see GOD return. Massive respect for the guy, but i know its probably unlikely. To say its against Benitez's transfer policies though? I dunno, pellegrino was exactly the same, a bit of a risk on an aging player to be a short term solution to a problem. And what about Morientes, our current starter up front? Theres 4 days less then a year in age between Fowler and him. Also considering Rafa really wanted Figo, it actually seems to be a very plausible thing for him to do considering his transfer history. All the same i know there would be problems, but if he was on a free, i wouldn't write it off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

Walcott's dad (Don Walcott) worked for the company I provide tech support for and recently quit his job suddenly, I wonder why:p

With regards to Fowler, I'd absolutely love to see him back at the club especially if he can be got on a free. I really think he'd have something to offer in a Benitez team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While I wouldn't be incredibly disappointed if Fowler were to come back, I don't think it is the right decision to make even on a free.

Fowler is synonymous with everything that was wrong with LFC in the 90s. Tonnes of ability, but the wrong attitude. I have not read his book yet but from talking to other people who have he seems to point the finger at everyone else for the failings in his career. Fowler is one of the most naturally gifted footballers I've seen. A quick glance at the stature of the man indicates this, short, slow, overweight, how could he be so good with that physique? Pure ability.

He had huge injury problems in his final years at Liverpool but never came back well enough to make the team. This is his own fault, and this has continued at his more recent clubs.

Since his departure you can see his heart is not in the game anymore, and while it is arguable that his desire for football may return on return to his real club is it worth that risk? It's not in keeping with Benetiz's strategy, I wouldn't want to change that to statisfy the whim of any nostalgic supporter.

I am a huge fan of Fowler, I still love to see him score. I remember him so fondly for countless reasons. A double against United at Anfield, countless hat-tricks against Arsenal, the UEFA cup final, five against Fulham, and many more, but I don't think he is what is needed at LFC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Reports that Chelsea are trying to steal Simao from Liverpool. They are willing to pay 15m and leave him play with Benfica for the rest of the season.
    This means that they will buy him and let him play against us in the CL
    Chelsea, **** OFF (from all football fans)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Yea my thoughts exactly. Its ridiculous now at this stage. They dont even need the players they are buying. Its a case of oh, X is looking at him so we should get him before they do.

Yea my thoughts exactly. Its ridiculous now at this stage. They dont even need the players they are buying. Its a case of oh, X is looking at him so we should get him before they do.
    I think Chelsea pay too much for their players (possibly Kenyon's fault?) but to say they buy up players for the sake of it is a bit unfair. I haven't actually seen any reports appart from here linking Chelsea and Simao and any report regarding Liverpool and the player is saying interest has cooled. It doesn't mean we're not still chasing the player but perhaps with the CL match coming up we're less likely to court him anyway.

Jose has typically kept his squad small since taking over at Chelsea, yes they've one or two players out on loan which increases their overall numbers but generally these are either Russian or players that were there from before Jose took over (and perhaps some youth players).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

If we're looking at former strikers, what about Nicolas Anelka? He was pretty good when he played for us, albeit he's messed every other club he's ever been with around. But even disregarding his football ability his comments yesterday make him worthy of consideration :D :

(from the Times)
    Anelka said leaving Fenerbache to join "a smaller club" like Everton is "absolutely impossible".

"Having played for Liverpool and worn Liverpool's jersey, I will never wear Everton's, " he said. "Everton should stop dreaming about me coming"

:D:D

• Advertisement

I never believed he was worthy of wearing the great shirt.

keep the frogs legs away from the club, liverpool and french is not the most successful combo

Anelka played alright for us but I don't want him back personally.
    Apparently we've had a bid rejected for Daniel Alaves, could be a good signing if negotiations continue - see how a Brazilian fits in at Anfield :)

Looks like Mellor is off to Wigan:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wigan_athletic/4628366.stm

All the best to him, it could be a good move for him although he'll probably be down the pecking order behind Camara/Roberts/Connolly.

Edit - It's only a loan:

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151190060119-1541.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I've always liked Mellor and I wasn't happy to hear that he could be goin to Hearts. But to stay in the premiership could be a very good move for him.

Hope he does well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Shred wrote:
    Looks like Mellor is off to Wigan:

All the best to him, it could be a good move for him although he'll probably be down the pecking order behind Camara/Roberts/Connolly.

Edit - It's only a loan:
    Camara on African Nations duty and Connolly is injured, he will be straight into the first team

zabbo wrote:
    Camara on African Nations duty and Connolly is injured, he will be straight into the first team

Forgot about Camara, didn't know Connolly was injured though:o

BTW, did anyone see the pictures from training today on the LFC.TV website (http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151209060120-1107.htm)? I'm nearly sure Mark Gonzales is in the 4th picture from bottom standing in front of Cisse, I'd heard he was training with squad but there was nothing definate about this. I wish they'd release something solid on his situation TBH (I know he's supposed to be going on loan for the rest of the season etc but there's no real official word on it...).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,091 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

actually really happy with this move. Was impressed with his workrate when he played last year and while im still not sure he's good enough for liverpool,I cant wait to see what he does when he gets a run of games behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Indeed, the significant sub-plot which accompanied Kewell's match-winning performance against Spurs was the presence of Chilean winger Mark Gonzalez in the Directors Box.

Kewell may have been a successful work permit application away from being surplus to requirements last summer.

Gonzalez's presence underlined his mission is ongoing. Even in this moment of triumph, the manager won't shy away from reminding the Aussie how contributions like this must be the rule, not the exception.
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=16590679&method=full&siteid=50061&headline=liverpool-1--tottenham-0--echo--name_page.html

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement