Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Riise has signed a contract extension as well

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151196060120-1318.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I would take Anelka if we could get him cheap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Shred wrote:

BTW, did anyone see the pictures from training today on the LFC.TV website http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151209060120-1107.htm I'm nearly sure Mark Gonzales is in the 4th picture from bottom standing in front of Cisse, I'd heard he was training with squad but there was nothing definate about this. I wish they'd release something solid on his situation TBH (I know he's supposed to be going on loan for the rest of the season etc but there's no real official word on it...).
    Thats Daniel Agger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Didn't even think he was just on loan anymore, was sure pool bought him bout a month or so ago when he showed he'd pretty much returned from injury. I think he's actually an out and out liverpool player now, pending work permit. He made a statement back then saying he would be at anfield two weeks later and would play his first practice match in january..been very little about him though. he was also in the directors box for the match last weekend. I Agree they should really just put out a proper report on whats going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Well I think there's no disputing that he's a Liverpool player. The player however was trying to give the suggestion that he'd be playing sooner rather then later for Liverpool (about 2 months ago?) however the management were of the opinion that these things take time and that he'll be in Spain until the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

zabbo wrote:
    Thats Daniel Agger

Well for some reason they've removed some of the pictures from that page including the one I was talking about. Almost positive it was Gonzales, he's a lot smaller tha Agger, tanned and and with a different hairstyle...Have it on me PC in work will take another look on Monday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

Sorry this is OT but I'm hoping you might find it on your heart of hearts to forgive me.

Does anyone know if Paul Ince's young lad is still at Liverpool? He was in the same team as Paul McGrath's son a year or two ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

meldrew wrote:
    I'd love to see Fowler back he never should have gone in the first place

I'd love that too. Damn Houllier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

If we're looking at former strikers, what about Nicolas Anelka? He was pretty good when he played for us, albeit he's messed every other club he's ever been with around. But even disregarding his football ability his comments yesterday make him worthy of consideration :D :(from the Times):D :D
    NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. I would'nt care if he paid me personally to let him come back. His attitude is totally wrong, to the point where he could delrail the club.

Troare on the pitch seems to immediatly half the confidence level of the defence. I think Anelka would do much more damage moral wise to the whole club. he's a selfish money grabber that we can do without.I'd take fowler on 3 times the wages before I'd take anelka.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

well mellor grabbed a goal today, lets hope its the first of many but not against us!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

cant play against pool. its against premiership rules

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

what if we get em in the fa cup?

er...then it will be a hard fought match with liverpool winning 2 -1 with a late goal from steven gerrard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

delighted for him, hope he get loads of goals for them, he'll win his place for next season replacing I hope morientes or cisse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

delighted for him, hope he get loads of goals for them, he'll win his place for next season replacing I hope morientes or cisse.

...yethink ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I suspect a successful loan spell will end with a sale. He'd be right with Wigan.

Le Tallec also scored a winner today with Sunderland.

Mike.

Shred wrote:
    Well for some reason they've removed some of the pictures from that page including the one I was talking about. Almost positive it was Gonzales, he's a lot smaller tha Agger, tanned and and with a different hairstyle...Have it on me PC in work will take another look on Monday

Here ya go, he's standing in front of Cisse:)

Gonzales.jpg

whos the guy on stilts talking to cisse?

Ah he's just some circus freak that was invited to the training ground:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Morientes probably. I'm guessing Rafa will give him to the end of the season to start scoring. I can see Mellor grabbing 7 or 8 goals for Wigan before the end of the season. At 5.8m, he's a candidate for my Fantasy Footie team

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Going back on topic to the general rumours thread.. the News of the World are reporting this morning that Liverpool are lining up a move for Shaun Wright-Phillips, under Mourinho's "If you're not happy at Chelsea, we will let you leave" policy..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

ahem, cant see him featuring in rafa's setup, I mean how would the So Solid crew get to liverpool. Wonder if mourinho's gonna gave him 21 seconds to go.

Can't see Maureen letting anyone leave Chelsea to come to Pool even if only on loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

I would take Wright Philips if we could get him for < £15mil. Can seeing him slotting into the right wing, no problem, right away.

BBC 5Live saying SWP to Pool for 12m, Chelsea willing to lose 9m on the original deal.

Would be a good buy, can we afford that money on 1 player though?

Honestly, BBC said that?! :eek: Awesome.

I would be absolutely chuffed to see SWP come to Liverpool but can't see Chelsea selling him to a rival and at a loss either, even though they did pay over the odds for him. Quality right sided player, just what the pool need.

Shred wrote:
    I would be absolutely chuffed to see SWP come to Liverpool but can't see Chelsea selling him to a rival and at a loss either, even though they did pay over the odds for him.

I'd agree, but with Jose you never know what's going to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why would Jose sell SWP to Liverpool for 12 million?
    None of those 3 parts make any sense.
    Firstly, SWP choose Chelsea, so he obviously wants to win titles, so moving to any other club is probably a bad idea unless he moves abroad.
    Secondly, Liverpool are in the top 4, and are not particuarly good friends players wise, although the bosses are. I'm fairly sure Jose seriously rates Benetiz, and I doubt he wants to give him such a good young player.
    Thirdly, 12 million? You mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

PHB wrote:
    Why would Jose sell SWP to Liverpool for 12 million?
    None of those 3 parts make any sense.
    Firstly, SWP choose Chelsea, so he obviously wants to win titles, so moving to any other club is probably a bad idea unless he moves abroad.
    Secondly, Liverpool are in the top 4, and are not particuarly good friends players wise, although the bosses are. I'm fairly sure Jose seriously rates Benetiz, and I doubt he wants to give him such a good young player.
    Thirdly, 12 million? You mad!

I agree with you, it doesnt make sense. That doesnt mean I would ****ing love to see him come to Liverpool. He has so much more poetential and hes not gonna be able to show it at Chelsea, too much competition.

• Advertisement

I don't buy it either yet Parry has been spotted looking to tie up a deal within UK and if right winger is on the menu then could it be SWP? Also Morientes to Espanyol is doing the rounds but its not very convincing.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

No way would I want to see SWP as the right mid 'solution', he can't pass the ball, and while he may be exciting to watch, we need someone with an end product.

He does have an end product - he can beat the fullback and cross the ball. Something Cisse can't do when he's pushed out to the right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

If we sign an english right winger my money would be on pennant

He has been mentioned a bit lately alright.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

Would have thought that Bruce would be trying to hold on to Pennant with all the injury problems he has at Birmingham. And even if he did decide to sell what would be a reasonable price? 5mill? Would Rafa spend that on him with his track record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

dcarroll wrote:
    If we sign an english right winger my money would be on pennant
    I'm a fan of Pennant too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There's been a lot of focus on the right wing, and obviously its a problem area, but I think of more pressing concern is up front. We really need to invest in a proper partner for Crouch. Neither Morientes nor Cissé are cutting the mustard. I think this was highlighted by the fact that we had 4 different players up front in the manu match. Crouch, Cissé, Mori and Pongolle. There was a sense of grasping at straws I thought. I for one think that Fowler would be a better partner for Crouch than any of the other 3. Not likely, but underlines the problem.

One week to go in the transfer window. I have a bad feeling that all our dealings are done tbh.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    There's been a lot of focus on the right wing, and obviously its a problem area, but I think of more pressing concern is up front. We really need to invest in a proper partner for Crouch. Neither Morientes nor Cissé are cutting the mustard. I think this was highlighted by the fact that we had 4 different players up front in the manu match. Crouch, Cissé, Mori and Pongolle. There was a sense of grasping at straws I thought. I for one think that Fowler would be a better partner for Crouch than any of the other 3. Not likely, but underlines the problem.

One week to go in the transfer window. I have a bad feeling that all our dealings are done tbh.
    I'm inclined to agree with a lot of that. Obviously SG is better for us in the middle but we still have a very strong midfield with him on the right. It's taken some convincing but I'm starting to see up front as being the bigger problem then right midfield (obviously purchases are needed for both).

I remain hopeful that someone good comes in before the end of the transfer window but only if its a good purchase...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Strikers are a problem but as RB seems to keep saying the forwards that are there need a good supply of the ball!! I would imagine buying a RW is 1st order then maybe another striker!! We shouldn't have let Mellor outon loan in my opinion cos if everyone else in the front line why not give him a shot??

jonny24ie wrote:
    Strikers are a problem but as RB seems to keep saying the forwards that are there need a good supply of the ball!! I would imagine buying a RW is 1st order then maybe another striker!! We shouldn't have let Mellor outon loan in my opinion cos if everyone else in the front line why not give him a shot??
    I fully agree that a good supply is needed but are you saying that Gerrard isn't able to provide that (ignoring any opinions good or bad on Kewell as we're not considering a left midfielder)? There was one or two sitters that were squandered yesterday and also Cisse's movement off the ball was in general shocking.

The only positives I see at the moment for our attack at the moment is Crouch and the fact that Pongolle 'might' develop into a good attacker. Morrientes is quality but that's of little consolation if he's not scoring. Cisse is capable of being good too but he's not suited to the way we play and that's unlikely to change.

Yes a right midfielder is needed but with Alonso, Kewell, Gerrard and Finnan able to put balls in from the centre, left and right I think the supply argument is a bit thin at this stage...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I for one think that Fowler would be a better partner for Crouch than any of the other 3. Not likely, but underlines the problem.

I'll second the return of god and i don't think i'd be the last fan to agree,
    but i also don't think the management will bring him back,
    i do think there will be 1 more signing, it's needed but we'll see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

I have some pretty sensational news.

Fowler is to sign a short-term contract this week.

I have no linkable source, i have been told.

Use it whatever way you like.

believe it when i see it tbh

i'd exhange cisse for him, useless

*edit* it would be an insult to crap if i said what i want to say about cisse

Thats a bit over the top, cisse cost us £14m.

Its what i have been told and this guy has proven to be pretty reliable in the past.

• Advertisement

Thats a bit over the top, cisse cost us £14m

that just means we paid 10 million more than he's worth

he's so beyond useless at times in his contribution to the team that its painful to watch

his sole job when he plays it to use his pace to exploit slower defences and to score goals.

notice how sparingly rafa uses him these days, he's only used against teams that need to win or against teams with slower defences.

when cisse plays against teams that need to win, these teams have to play futher up the pitch so they can score, so cisse is used to exploit this

against teams with slower defences his job is to make the defenders turn and then use his pace to exploit them and score.

simple really, considering his talent. but does he do this? no. he waits around for the ball to come to him, he complains when he doesnt get it. he gets fouled, then sits on his ass moaning

(like yesterday for example, got fouled, sat on his ass moaning, the ball game to him, he jumped up and missed an open goal)

now, fowler is clearly slower than cisse, not as strong etc, but he's 100 times smarter than him and he'll offer liverpool something none of the strikers seem to have...a brain and composure in the box

Nothing to see here.

el rabitos wrote:
    that just means we paid 10 million more than he's worth

he's so beyond useless at times in his contribution to the team that its painful to watch

his sole job when he plays it to use his pace to exploit slower defences and to score goals.

notice how sparingly rafa uses him these days, he's only used against teams that need to win or against teams with slower defences.

when cisse plays against teams that need to win, these teams have to play futher up the pitch so they can score, so cisse is used to exploit this

against teams with slower defences his job is to make the defenders turn and then use his pace to exploit them and score.

simple really, considering his talent. but does he do this? no. he waits around for the ball to come to him, he complains when he doesnt get it. he gets fouled, then sits on his ass moaning

(like yesterday for example, got fouled, sat on his ass moaning, the ball game to him, he jumped up and missed an open goal)

now, fowler is clearly slower than cisse, not as strong etc, but he's 100 times smarter than him and he'll offer liverpool something none of the strikers seem to have...a brain and composure in the box

You dont need to tell me why Rafa uses Cisse, its obvious for anyone to see. He his far from a team player and not the type of striker Rafa is usually associated with. Very poor miss yesterday.

Re: Fowler, lets see what happens.

Cisse will be gone after the world cup no doubt (I imagine Parry is praying for a Golden Boot level performance).

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

i really hope you are right.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement