Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

"Anfield chief executive Rick Parry, however, revealed today: "There are difficulties with that transfer and it does not look like it is going to happen.""

This'd be the same Rick Parry that said there were no talks with Manchester City, and the Fowler move categorically wouldn't happen? I'm not saying that this *is* happening but...wait and see...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

first figo backs out of a move last minute, then simao and now victor. What is it with getting a decent right winger.

And finally bloody chelsea look like they will sign simao in the summer:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Liverpool need to get this sorted now. It's ridiculous that the european champions don't have a proper right-sided midfielder in their ranks.
    On Kromkamp, he impressed me to a certain degree but it was only his first full start....good things may come
    I wasn't too impressed with his high dive, i gave him a 9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Since God is back, does that mean we can sell Crouch now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Why would we sell our best forward O_o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cisse to go, not Crouch! Tsk! some people are not reading the script!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Our best forward in Stevie G...17 goals this season so far

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

p.pete wrote:
    I watched the full 90 minutes, he didn't amaze me and hasn't instantly settled into the team or the English style of football. I say get rid.

Are you for real? You watch a man play football for 90 minutes and think we should get rid of him?

For the record he was excellent for the ressies against wolves. MOTM.

p.pete's only pulling your leg, surely you can tell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Are you for real? You watch a man play football for 90 minutes and think we should get rid of him?

For the record he was excellent for the ressies against wolves. MOTM.

em, no he wasn't. Not even near. Hamann was a class apart followed by young anderson and then potter. Kromkamp was.....above average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

SofaKing wrote:
    p.pete's only pulling your leg, surely you can tell!
    Not his leg specifically

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

rondeco wrote:
    em, no he wasn't. Not even near. Hamann was a class apart followed by young anderson and then potter. Kromkamp was.....above average.

Hamann scored the goal and done his usual solid job. Anderson was excellent in the first half aided by some excellent overlapping and link play from Kromkamp. Kromhamp showed that given the chance he can certainly give us plenty of options at RB and at RM. On the night Anderson was very encouraging and has been in all his ressie outings this season. Nice to see agger play too, and what a surging run from CB and very unlucky not to finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

so not looking like any last deal to be done today then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    so not looking like any last deal to be done today then?

Watched Robbies press conference and Raf was asked about the Victor transfer, he said that it was very messy and that it was now not looking good to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

David Raven has joined Tranmere on loan for the rest of the season. I've always liked him any time I've seen him play.

Not looking good for Victor, but maybe we have someone already. Very young I know, but he wouldnt be the first 17 year old ever to make an impression in the top flight.
    A scintillating second half performance saw Liverpool coast to a deserved victory in the FA Youth Cup fifth round against Burnley at Turf Moor on Monday night.

Inspired by the brilliant wing play of Paul Anderson, a goal from Michael Nardiello and two from substitute Craig Lindfield secured a comprehensive 3-0 win that guarantees the young Reds a quarter-final time at home to Carlisle United.

The best of the attacking play came from Liverpool and just after the 20-minute mark Paul Anderson forced a corner with some determined play down the right flank.

Early in the second half, an electric burst of pace and trickery from Anderson saw him get beyond the Burnley full-back and accurate delivery fell invitingly for Nardiello who gratefully slotted the ball home from close-range.

The second goal game from substitute Craig Lindfield in the 77th minute. Anderson skinned the full-back once again and his centre was scrambled home in untidy fashion.

Former Hull trainee Anderson was now running riot and after gaining possession out on the right touchline he sent over a raking ball that evaded the home defenders and found the head of Lindfield who crashed a powerful header into the roof of the net from the edge of the six-yard box to make it 3-0.

Man-of-the-Match Anderson later left the field to a standing ovation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Is FSP on the move to Lyon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Ill scream if we sell him, loan him out for first team football but dont sell him. Argh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Lex Luthor wrote:
    Is FSP on the move to Lyon?
    Seems odd to me that after coming on and playing brilliantly against Luton he's had feck all action since. His performance deserved a start in at least one of the following 3 games. Instead he was left with two very brief sub appearances and he didnt even make the bench v Pompey.

I'd certainly sooner see Cisse go to Lyon than PingPong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I'm pretty sure Rafa sees Flo in his long term plans. As do the majority of supporters at the club. And the fact that there has been so much interest in him shows that he is still highly regarded.

A run with a club like Blackburn will do him good. I know that they dont play attractive football to be exact but it will be a good experience to be in a team regularly and pushing for a start week in week out.

I'm not sure I see Flo in long-term plans. Like Cissé, he has never grabbed the nettle in a serious way. Now and then we see flashes of talent, but that's useless unless it can be reproduced consistently. I wouldn't care if we sold him tbh.

So, to all intents and purposes it looks as though we have not bought a right winger. This probably means that StevieG is going to spend a large proportion of the rest of the season playing on the right. While he has done excellently out there, I feel he is growing tired of playing out there. Plus, if he were to return to the center, it would have the added bonus of not having to play Sissoko (who cannot pass).

Our most meaningful (and only) purchase, is of course Robbie. While I welcome this with open arms, it remains a bit of a gamble. Hopefully his desire to succeed at Anfield will drive him to recapture some of his better form. Although in fairness, he would struggle to be worse than Cissé and to an extent Morientes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Flo is absolutely adored at Anfield, certainly by the fans anyway, and I think that the only reason that he has not grasped the nettle as it were is because he has not had a chance to. He has not had any kind of run in the team despite playing well and scoring some crucial goals. Unfortunately that will not suit a young striker as he will thrive on confidence which he will only get from being consistently selected and and consistently banging in the goals. I think that he is a better option than Cisse, he certainly has more to him, pace, creativity, some of the tricks (anybody remember viera last season in the corner:)) and a cool head on him, which he can use to nod in the odd goal too.

I do not see Cisse sticking much longer than the end of the season with Liverpool if he is not getting played and regardless of the loss we make on his sale it would be a saving in both wages and possibly in results if he is let off to pastures new.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Gary O'Neill is reportedly at Anfield for talks (according to bbc radio1)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Shelbournes Gary O'Neill ??? or the skinny scrawny little pompey player ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

LizardKing wrote:
    the skinny scrawny little pompey player
    yes the england u-21 player

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I

Our most meaningful (and only) purchase, is of course Robbie.

Eh? Paul Anderson (who is a very good prospect it seems), Dan Agger...? Hello!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

flo is gone to blackburn on loan now for the rest of the season.

Is paul anderson a right winger then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

pongolle could get a real run of games at blackburn which would be of great benefit to him and hopefully to his crarrer in the long run at the Pool.

im a bit disapointed that the victor deal has died out, the right side is a problem area and should have been addressed.

it looks like nothing will be done till the Summer now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Our most meaningful (and only) purchase

Also bought Paul Anderson, Daniel Agger and Jan Kromkamp.

oh and to galwaydude yea anderson is a right midfielder. seems class so far, but obviously against inferier opposition.

At this point praying rafa pulls something out of the bag, though i have a feeling he must have something in the pipeline if he was willing to let pongolle (one of the only options we have for the right,even if its not his favourite) go.
    Would be happy out to see Jermaine Pennant arive, been really impressed with him, seems to have really turned himself around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

A bit gutted that flo is gone :( I always thought he was faaaaar better than Cisse. Even though he only came on the odd time he always impressed me, linked up well, rarely made mistakes, pace and quite an accurate powerful shot. IMO he should have been giving a run of games starting up front with Crouch.

p.s I <3 Benitez but shame on him if he doesnt sign a winger. seriously.

Stupid decision. He can play either up front or on the wing. He's quick but also clever unlike you-know-who. While I can see that he's about 5th choice in Rafas mind, he should'nt be.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

we have what looks like a good prospect winger in the reserves, Paul Anderson, watched the Pool v Wolves reserve match, he impressed as did the other new signings (it was only wolves reserves tho, but they shone out). Rafa will not buy players unless the price is right, fair play to him. Gonzales should also be available next season work permit permitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

we have what looks like a good prospect winger in the reserves, Paul Anderson, watched the Pool v Wolves reserve match, he impressed as did the other new signings (it was only wolves reserves tho, but they shone out). Rafa will not buy players unless the price is right, fair play to him. Gonzales should also be available next season work permit permitting.

Yep, Gonzales & Anderson are prospects for next season...its this season that im worrying about though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

yeha i just want a winger to come in now, praying for some last minute news, but doesn't look good i guess. One thing im sure of though, is that tomorrow if there isn't a new signing, we'll hear that a last minute bid for someone didn't work out. i very much doubt rafa is sitting on his laurels. We';ll see, but fingers crossed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

i dont see anyone else coming, but then i never saw robbie coming back, so its not impossible
    just highly unlikely imo

its a shame because i feel the right midfield position really unbalances the team atm. i remember in the luton game, finnan repeatedly had the ball at right back with noone anywhere near the wide right position, which left him to just hoof it
    pongolle came on, cisse went wide right and 4 goals went in

also disappointed pongolle was loaned out, but its better that than him never getting used, which like others, i think he should
    i rate him above nando and cisse no doubt

i don't know why my brain stopped working regarding kromkamp and agger. yeah they might be good - haven't seen enough of either to be sure. I suppose since defense wasn't our major problem, I wasn't thinking in that area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I'm not sure I see Flo in long-term plans. Like Cissé, he has never grabbed the nettle in a serious way. Now and then we see flashes of talent, but that's useless unless it can be reproduced consistently.

Robbie. While I welcome .. with open arms, it remains a bit of a gamble. Hopefully his desire to succeed at Anfield will drive him to recapture some of his better form. Although in fairness, he would struggle to be worse than Cissé and to an extent Morientes.

I agree with your sentiments. Sinama-Pongolle is ok at times but cant produce it on a regular basis. Maybe a loan spell and pitch time will improve him. But like all loan deals, its also a case of putting him in the shop window. In general, if Rafa wasnt going to play him much, although I think he is a very useful back-up, then he may as well loan him out. But whether Blackburn is the best place for him is another story. Mr Blackburn (Lemlin) may have some thoughts.

Robbie wont be back to his "God" form, at least I would be very surprised by that. And he certainly lacks pace and speed of reaction. Hopefully the adrenalin of playing in a Liverpool shirt and at Anfield will drive him up to some new heights and I would expect him to be better than Morientes, although perhaps not in the air. Lets just see ih his guile can come up trumps. He will certainly need it.

It will be interesting to see what combinations work out best with two strikers out of the 4 of: Crouch, Cisse, Morientes, Fowler. For example, there is no dead cert pick out of that bunch, and I think Rafa feels the same. That is very much unlike Liverpool who should have at least two strikers that pick themselves and two very strong back-ups.

The miss-buys of Morientes and Crouch are coming back to haunt Benitez. Some of us you may remember predicted this before it started ;-)

redspider

redspider wrote:
    The miss-buys of Morientes and Crouch are coming back to haunt Benitez. Some of us you may remember predicted this before it started ;-)

redspider

I remember you doomsaying about Crouch alright, but I think he's largely been a success, and had played a key role in Liverpool's improving form. If for nothing else his ability to hold on to the ball and play a secondary pass has made his signing wortwhile.

redspider wrote:
    I agree with your sentiments. Sinama-Pongolle is ok at times but cant produce it on a regular basis.
    Largely due to not being given the chance (as per Thanx 4 The Fish's previous post).
    RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I remember you doomsaying about Crouch alright, but I think he's largely been a success, and had played a key role in Liverpool's improving form. If for nothing else his ability to hold on to the ball and play a secondary pass has made his signing wortwhile.
    Yup, of the 4 main strikers there currently Crouch is the only one deserving of commanding a regular starting place. Hopefully Fowler starts coming strongly into that mix - he's a better prospect then Cisse or Morientes at the moment unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

No right winger AGAIN, how annoying is that

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

My god....this is now the 8th most viewed thread on Boards....!!!

The papers today have two stories - that Cisse would have gone to Spurs in a straight swap! and that Real Madrid are after Alonso. Well they can feck off!

Mike.

Dub13 wrote:
    My god....this is now the 8th most viewed thread on Boards....!!!

Scary is'nt it? All Irelands bandwidth will be sucked into this thread and then the lights will go out.

Mike.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

zabbo wrote:
    No right winger AGAIN, how annoying is that

well with garcia still to return,
    and mark gonzales coming in the summer any winger would have to be a loan deal or a waste of money,
    lets hope he decides to give the likes of anderson a go in the first team see if he can take his game up to that level.
    mike65 wrote:
    The papers today have two stories - that Cisse would have gone to Spurs in a straight swap! and that Real Madrid are after Alonso. Well they can feck off!

Mike.

in a straight swap for???????
    and hands off alonso thanks.

Straight swap for Defoe.

Mike.

mayordenis wrote:
    in a straight swap for???????

For spurs - the club, not sure Cissé is THAT bad though.

• Advertisement

Alonso has a strong Basque background afaik, shouldn't take too much convincing for him to ignore Madrid. If Barca started chasing him it could be a tougher situation perhaps...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Gonzalez is a left winger? no. Any chance Rafa will fastrack Anderson or any Reserve player into the first team ? Gerrard won't be happy playing right side for the rest of the season, he's not even happy doing it for a whole match.

Rafa could do alot worse then use Finnan wide right with Barragan/Kronkamp at RB

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

mike65 wrote:
    Scary is'nt it? All Irelands bandwidth will be sucked into this thread and then the lights will go out.

Mike.

gotta keep the bandwidth free to push those 1s and 0s into the filaments :p

i think it was the beginning of last season, i saw some highlights of defoe for spurs and he looked very good. good pace, powerful shot and often gets his shot in. thought it was gonna be the end of keane at spurs when he was kept on the bench.
    was surprised that jol dropped defoe, but i dont watch spurs much. in short he looks(ed) a hell of a lot better than cisse
    dunno about defoe's attitude though

Id like to see this Anderson lad get some time on the subs bench maybe, some of you guys here seem to think highly of him.

Was reading the official LFC magazine this morning. There was a feature on the youth team and their match in the FA Youth Cup against Ipswich (i think). Anderson and a young Ghanian CB were two players that stood out apparently.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement