Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Godwin Antwi, have seen him a couple of times on the Eseason ticket, seems solid, only time will tell I suppose but he can certainly kick a ball well and he seems to have a bit of patience about him, not always looking to get rid of it, passes out from the back and can go at a player too. He has had a few MoM performances since he joined.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

You can watch the highlights of the FA youth cup match here: http://www.thefa.com/TheFACup/TheFAYouthCup/NewsAndFeatures/Postings/2006/01/FAYouthCup_Liverpoolwin.htm
    Anderson looks a very good prospect, doubt we'll see him in the first team for a while though

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Dub13 wrote:
    My god....this is now the 8th most viewed thread on Boards....!!!

How many posts to get to No. 1 Dub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Our most meaningful (and only) purchase, is of course Robbie. While I welcome this with open arms, it remains a bit of a gamble. Hopefully his desire to succeed at Anfield will drive him to recapture some of his better form. Although in fairness, he would struggle to be worse than Cissé and to an extent Morientes.

Firstly, Agger and Kromkamp are new signings. Secondly, are all signings not a gamble?...
    Sorry, missed your after comment. Bit tired and cranky and all that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

5starpool wrote:
    How many posts to get to No. 1 Dub?

A good few...:( If you want to see the top ten click Boards.ie on the menu at the top of the Boards home page,then Top Statistics/Threads Most Views.We should be able to get this into the top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Saw highlights of last nights game v brum , Agger made a few mistakes but it's too early to slate him .. was sick new signing Robbie got called offside in last minute .. would have been a good 3 points considering other results .. ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Dub13 wrote:
    A good few...:( If you want to see the top ten click Boards.ie on the menu at the top of the Boards home page,then Top Statistics/Threads Most Views.We should be able to get this into the top 4.

The quality in this thread beats a lot of the quality in some of those other most viewed threads. Its hard to measure quality though.

By the way, I noticed that mike65 and whitewashman are among the most prolific posters. I wont comment on aspects of quality in relation to either ;-).

Another thing I noticed. They are discussing on the Christianity forum whether God exists or not! Maybe someone should post them a link to this thread. GOD (as in Fowler) definitely does exist and even appeared on tv last night ;-)

Agger was just ok last night and of course the forwards still have their problems.

I think the pecking order for release during the summer will be:

Cisse (most likely to go)
    Morientes
    Crouch (most likely to stay)
    Fowler

A hypothetical question: rate these players in descending order of overall effectiveness when played as a central striker as part of a 4-4-2 system?

Baros, Cisse, Crouch, Fowler, Heskey, Morientes, Owen, Sinama-Pongolle

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

redspider wrote:
    The quality in this thread beats a lot of the quality in some of those other most viewed threads. Its hard to measure quality though.

By the way, I noticed that mike65 and whitewashman are among the most prolific posters. I wont comment on aspects of quality in relation to either ;-).

Another thing I noticed. They are discussing on the Christianity forum whether God exists or not! Maybe someone should post them a link to this thread. GOD (as in Fowler) definitely does exist and even appeared on tv last night ;-)

Agger was just ok last night and of course the forwards still have their problems.

I think the pecking order for release during the summer will be:

Cisse (most likely to go)
    Morientes
    Crouch (most likely to stay)
    Fowler

A hypothetical question: rate these players in descending order of overall effectiveness when played as a central striker as part of a 4-4-2 system?

Baros, Cisse, Crouch, Fowler, Heskey, Morientes, Owen, Sinama-Pongolle

redspider

Owen
    Crouch
    Baros
    Sinama
    Fowler
    Morientes
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    Cisse

Not really sure where Heskey comes into it. Its a tought thing to do...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Red spider, the cheek!

I think trying to fit players into a strict formation is a mistake. Rafa's Liverpool is meant to be a multi-dimensional affair with goals comming from all angles and many players. I'm sure Rafa does'nt care who scores hense signing Fowler which if one was being 100% objective would'nt have happened.

I think Benitez was thinking lateraly, namely the effect of signing him on the squad and the fans while knowing his has the talent to make a positve contribution which might only be on the margins in many games ie super sub.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

I think trying to fit players into a strict formation is a mistake. Rafa's Liverpool is meant to be a multi-dimensional affair with goals comming from all angles and many players. I'm sure Rafa does'nt care who scores hense signing Fowler which if one was being 100% objective would'nt have happened.

yeah i agree, the current bunch of striker all offer different options, baros was sold because he and cisse were too alike in their styles. i still think baros was only sold because it was so impossible to offload cisse, 1 year, 14 million and 1 broken leg after joining the club

so yeah i dont think theres neccesarily a peking order, just different options work better for different games. having said that, if cisse isnt sold at the end of the season i'll eat my hat.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

I hope we don't regret Pongolle heading to Blackburn, there was a t-shirt ready for him with "I saved Liverpool's bacon in the second half against Benfica at Anfield" printed on the front of it. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

^^^ I hear ye mate.

I think next season, if sinama gets an extended run at blackburn, we will have a player up to the standard required and so our right wing problem will be solved. He is such a skilful player.

Now this is just nutzzzzzzzz

I metioned that Madrid are supposedly after Alonso earlier (page 77-ish) I saw a price today of 11 million! Where do the papers get this junk? If they said 50 mill I doubt Rafa would sell him. I doubt Xabi would want to go frankly.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Xabi is a life long Madrid fan afaik, and I'm sure he eventually plans to go there, just like Ronaldo i'm sure eventually plans to go to Madrid or Barca.
    I imagine if they do get him, it'll be for 30 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    Xabi is a life long Madrid fan afaik, and I'm sure he eventually plans to go there, just like Ronaldo i'm sure eventually plans to go to Madrid or Barca.

Apparently hes staunchly Basque so I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

in either case, i cant see him leaving for a few years yet anyway

11mil .....lol

he'll be at pool as long as benitez is in charge.

liverpool will win the champions league and they're own domestic league before real madrid do either again

PHB wrote:

Eh, ronaldo? One is at madrid and the other is portugese. I'm confused.

• Advertisement

Both Xabi and Ronaldo grew up watching Barca and Madrid, much like Irish kids dream of playing for Utd Liverpool, iberian kids dream of playing for Barca/Madrid.
    The big challenge for United and Liverpool is to keep a hold of Ronaldo/Xabi, as they both dreamed of palying for one of those big spanish clubs.
    It's the challenge when signing any kid who grew up watching Real/Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

PHB wrote:
    Both Xabi and Ronaldo grew up watching Barca and Madrid, much like Irish kids dream of playing for Utd Liverpool, iberian kids dream of playing for Barca/Madrid.
    The big challenge for United and Liverpool is to keep a hold of Ronaldo/Xabi, as they both dreamed of palying for one of those big spanish clubs.
    Basque kids do not dream of playing for Real Madrid, thats like Dundalk kids dreaming of playing for Glasgow Rangers. As for C.Ronaldo, he wouldn't make either team.

Sorted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

zabbo wrote:
    Basque kids do not dream of playing for Real Madrid, thats like Dundalk kids dreaming of playing for Glasgow Rangers. As for C.Ronaldo, he wouldn't make either team.

Post of the year there lads...

haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Arf, somehow deleted that when i was editing it, quoted for truth though :)

Not sure how talk of C.Ronaldo entered this conversation, but meh. Alonso is going nowhere and certainly not for a measily 11mil, he cost 10.5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I guess thats all a champions league medal and the tag of "best passer in the premiership" gets ya, an extra 500k :D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Hes a defender, traore would make their team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

zabbo wrote:
    As for C.Ronaldo, he wouldn't make either team.

Sorted
    I dunno about that...I saw last night Silvinho (ex Arsenal) playing for Barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Right, im starting a rumour about liverpool making a 15million pound bid for torres. Maybe if its spread around enough, it just might happen!...worked with GOD!

McBride of Fulham would not be a bad option if he was available..

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Right, im starting a rumour about liverpool making a 15million pound bid for torres. Maybe if its spread around enough, it just might happen!...worked with GOD!

its a twenty mill bid. And he has said he wants to join us.;)

• Advertisement

http://www.football365.com/teams/liverpool/story_176456.shtml
    Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is reportedly set to offload misfiring strike duo Djibril Cisse and Fernando Morientes at the end of the season.

The Reds have scored just 30 goals in 23 league games this term, a statistic which has hindered their hopes of keeping pace with Chelsea at the top of the Premiership.

And Benitez knows he needs more from his frontmen if he is to mount a serious title challenge next season.

"It is true we need to score more goals," he said.

"Our statistics in terms of creating chances and shots are good, but it is clear we need to take more of them.

"I have told the players this is a long race and we cannot dwell too long on all the things we have done badly."

If the pair were to leave Anfield, Benitez may look to bring Newcastle's Michael Owen back to the club, potentially re-uniting him with Kop legend Robbie Fowler.

He is also said to be a fan of Feyenoord's Dirk Kuyt, as well as Tottenham's Jermain Defoe and Andrew Johnson of Crystal Palace.

Cisse has long been linked with a return to France, while there are no shortage of clubs in Spain that would be interested in bringing Morientes back to La Liga if the Reds made him available.

From a financial perspective, if Rafa hangs onto robbie for another year pool could easily afford to get rid of Nando and Cisse for as much as he can get after the world cup (probably a decent amount as both are playing well and scoring with the national teams), then we could afford to get one top class goalscorer considering the money thats already there to spend and the wages saved by offloading them. That would still leave a potentially good strike force with ????, Crouch, Fowler, Pongolle, maybe Mellor. With the right main striker that could work pretty well..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

~Rebel~ wrote:
    http://www.football365.com/teams/liverpool/story_176456.shtml

From a financial perspective, if Rafa hangs onto robbie for another year pool could easily afford to get rid of Nando and Cisse for as much as he can get after the world cup (probably a decent amount as both are playing well and scoring with the national teams), then we could afford to get one top class goalscorer considering the money thats already there to spend and the wages saved by offloading them. That would still leave a potentially good strike force with ????, Crouch, Fowler, Pongolle, maybe Mellor. With the right main striker that could work pretty well..

Would Owen and Defoe not be too similar to play in the same team? Owen or Defoe playing off Crouch might work but I would still have doubts about Crouch at the very top level of the game. I,m not sure Owen would be welcome back despite Raffas comments to the contrary, IMO Defoe would be a better and more likely target for the long term.

johnson good enough for pool?
    i really hope rafa gets rid of cisse and moro though, moro still looks no better for pool than i have seen him in the past...just doesn't suit the PL it would appear.
    cisse...lumbering goat. imo he's had his chances.

dunno much (anything) about this kuyt type, but a lot of people seem interested in him. how much would he cost roughly, for those in the know...

The Muppet wrote:
    Would Owen and Defoe not be too similar to play in the same team? Owen or Defoe playing off Crouch might work but I would still have doubts about Crouch at the very top level of the game. I,m not sure Owen would be welcome back despite Raffas comments to the contrary, IMO Defoe would be a better and more likely target for the long term.

i think it meant they are different possibilities, rather than he wants both
    i for one would not be delighted to have owen back, but if he knocked 20+ goals i would reluctantly let him stay

I'd have to agree that Defoe is the better option. I think Owen has kinda blown it with liverpool, but much more important then this, i dont think its worth paying big money and relying heavily on a striker who you know will be injured for half a season. Its just not worth it. If anything the Toon have saved us from a potentially big mistake. Kuyt/Kuijt looks good. He's a bit of a Nando himself in style i think, strong bustling striker. He's been starting a lot for holland of late and has 16 goals in 22 league appearances for Feyenord so far this year. No idea what he'd cost really but id imagine less then 15mill would get him maybe?

eyerer wrote:
    johnson good enough for pool?

no.

Kuyt is a combination of crouch and cisee - literally take the good aspect of both and you are onto a winner..

Just anote, Gerrard is crook and will miss the Charlton game and possibly the weekend match too! Thats it we're fecked. ;)

I guess it'll be Cisse or Luis Garcia wide right.

Mike.

I'd like to see McBride of Fulham looked at...he's a quick strong forward who can head well and has played in the PL for many seasons and done well...Mellor back aswell should help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Let's pray that Newcastle get relegated this season so Owen can be brought back for a knock down price maybe! Owen and Fowler up front again :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

literally take the good aspect of both and you are onto a winner..

So he's tall?

Thats all the good points covered so.

There are no short Dutch men by law.

Mike.

Owen is a world class striker, and if he was playing in the current liverpool team he'd have scored at least 10 goals this season so far easily, probably 15.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

PHB wrote:
    Owen is a world class striker, and if he was playing in the current liverpool team he'd have scored at least 10 goals this season so far easily, probably 15.
    Any player capable of scoring that many goals while injured is obviously world class :rolleyes:
    TBH I was always annoyed with how he spent half the season injured then took a few games to get scoring again - once he was fit and settled in the team he was excellent though. Now he's not long back in England and he's injured again, I've said it before - good riddance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Was never a consistent 20 or more a season man for the pool though, wi would play Ian Rush if he came back and just played smart ala Sherringham and Shearer, not massive pace but knowledge of the game and ability to create space serves them and the team no end. TBH i would take anybody who could be like Ian Wright was for Arsenal, not the most skilful but still scored the goals.

i think what frustrates rafa and liverpool fans about cisse is when he gets a one on one with a keeper he opts to just blast it and hope for the best....whereas, players like fowler, owen, shearer, henry, defoe and the like would pick they're spot and shoot.

he has no composure in front of the goal, he'd been nothing but a frustration since he arrived. and in a time when the rest of the team has improved and goals are the only thing lacking, cisse and morientes have become very expendable

how old is rush?

/contemplates starting rumours

desperately need someone to basically just stand there and ping them in

44 I think. He was deadly in the Tsunami match.

Mike.

dont suppose theres anywhere i could download that match is there?
    i wanted to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

eyerer wrote:
    dont suppose theres anywhere i could download that match is there?
    i wanted to see it.

Go to http://video.google.com. Search for "Liverpool". That's where I saw highlights of it, video quality wasn't great though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement