Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=361931&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=Reds+close+on+Argentine+swoop

From SSN

Liverpool appear to have won the race for the much sought after Banfield defender Gabriel Paletta.

Despite considerable interest from Argentine clubs - most notably River Plate - it is The Reds who are believed to have agreed a fee of €3 million (£2 million) with Banfield.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

i deffo want to see Cisse go this summer ("I suggest feathered stroke, you've selected - POWER DRIVE!"), not too sure about morientes leaving though as he has experiance and would be handy if fowler doesnt work out (like most pool fans have already ordained him to). we wouldnt get as much as we paid for moro either as I doubt he will make ne impact in the world cup. torres and raul up front... and besides, spain will only play 4 games in it to get knocked out in the 2nd round ;) .
    if pool have the money in the summer they need to go all out and sign a WORLD class player... not just one with a reputation and "potential" i.e. - cisse. perhaps waiting for chelski to sign a striker is wats needed as if pool go for torres then the media will go into a frenzy of "chelski - pool bidding war".
    pool have made enough "good" signings, now they need to go for one that will make the difference and keep them in the running with the top 2 PL teams (utd & chelski)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Gabriel Paletta possible move in the summer. For anyone who doesn't know him he's a defender. I'd be a bit more excited if we were chasing a striker. All this talk of defenders and wingers is doing my nut.

Heres the link -> http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,1776_1008881,00.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

is paletta a left back by any chance?

("I suggest feathered stroke, you've selected - POWER DRIVE!") - lol. another obscure reference that made me laugh.

a request: has anyone got a high res jpeg of stevie gerrard, with the lads, lifting the cup in istanbul?
    i got one off sky at the time but lost it while upgrading the computer
    1280x1024 would be good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=video&file=Trophy_Presentation.avi

This is a fans eye view.(only just realised after downloading!)

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=363221&CPID=8&clid=&lid=&title=Reds+eye+Valencia+ace
    Reds eye Valencia ace

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez is reported to be ready to raid his old club Valencia for Yago Fernandez.

Reports in Portugal claim Liverpool have expressed an interest in the 18-year-old.

Fernandez is highly regarded within the corridors of La Mestalla and is tied down until 2011.

Liverpool are believed to have watched Fernandez in action and are thought to be weighing up an offer for the youngster.

The player's father Carlos Fernandez claims that Fernandez is not happy with Valencia and that he would be interested in a move to Liverpool.

"We are going to see what Liverpool can offer in sporting terms," said Carlos Fernandez.

"If it is good for him then maybe a transfer can happen because Valencia promised him things that have not happened. They will have to speak to Valencia first."

Anybody know anything at all about this guy? Or even his position? Good t oknow Rafa's keeping his eyes open all the time anyway. Building a very impressive young reserves team.

Also whats the deal with skysports calling everyone "Ace". When i saw the link my heart jumped with visions of David Villa or Aimar coming over!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Yeah they're a joke like that alright, they really infuse everything with outrageously over the top hype without any sense of irony. A recent article in the January transfer window comes to mind called "Bolton swoop for Spanish star". By which of course they meant a back-up back-up 24 year old
    midfielder named Oscar Perez, signed on a free transfer from Cordoba. Who incidently, I've yet to discover what division they actually play in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Jazzy wrote:
    i deffo want to see Cisse go this summer ("I suggest feathered stroke, you've selected - POWER DRIVE!"), not too sure about morientes leaving though as he has experiance and would be handy if fowler doesnt work out (like most pool fans have already ordained him to). we wouldnt get as much as we paid for moro either as I doubt he will make ne impact in the world cup. torres and raul up front... and besides, spain will only play 4 games in it to get knocked out in the 2nd round ;) .
    if pool have the money in the summer they need to go all out and sign a WORLD class player... not just one with a reputation and "potential" i.e. - cisse. perhaps waiting for chelski to sign a striker is wats needed as if pool go for torres then the media will go into a frenzy of "chelski - pool bidding war".
    pool have made enough "good" signings, now they need to go for one that will make the difference and keep them in the running with the top 2 PL teams (utd & chelski)
    the only way chelsea will sign a striker is if united, arsenal or pool want 2 sign him first

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

dcarroll wrote:
    the only way chelsea will sign a striker is if united, arsenal or pool want 2 sign him first

doubt that.
    after chelski's profit loss i think they have had their "spree" of buying non-essential players for ludicrous money (poor SWP).
    the time will be ripe in the summer to actually make a signing that counts instead of a "Cisse gamble".
    an established english striker seems the way to go after talking with me bro.
    except andy johnson of course! :p

Defoe being a very good maybe... even Darren Bent might be worth a look in... though he will prob be another AJ.
    right wing first imo... then striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Liverpool have agread a deal for Paletta. He'll sign on a four year deal at the end of the season.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4707816.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Well we officially have another defender
    Argentine defender Gabriel Paletta has agreed a four-year deal to join Liverpool at the end of the season.

The player's current club Atletico Banfield had claimed on Monday that talks over the move had been postponed until the summer.

However, Liverpool revealed on their website that a deal has now been finalised, subject to a medical.

Paletta, who turns 20 on Wednesday, helped Argentina win the Under-20 World Cup in 2005.

He has made 33 appearances for Banfield and scored five goals.

still no word on which position in the defense?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

eyerer wrote:
    still no word on which position in the defense?
    central defender who can also fill in as a defensive midfielder if required

Gabriel Paletta has passed his medical according to RAWK source.

Mike.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote:
    Gabriel Paletta has passed his medical according to RAWK source.

Yea Rafa confirmed this at the pre match interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I reckon he will be a good signing for the pool, good cover for hypia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

swalsh wrote:
    I reckon he will be a good signing for the pool, good cover for hypia
    He is supposed to be more like carragher and agger is similar to hyypia

Hyypia has not got long left in him IMO....he looks like he is getting slower by the week.So looks like one of these new defenders will be playing a lot next season.

Marco van Baston shoots his mouth off.
    Marco van Basten has launched an extraordinary attack on Liverpool defender Jan Kromkamp.

The Holland boss believes the 25-year-old made a mistake in leaving AZ Alkmaar for Villarreal last summer, and after a disappointing time in Spain, moved to Anfield in January.

However, van Basten believes both moves have been made in error, and as a result the player has lost his place in the Dutch squad as the World Cup Finals draw ever nearer.

"It is annoying that Kromkamp, who is a good player, made the wrong choices for his career," van Basten said. "It is sad when someone throws away his own chances and also doesn't help us.

"It seems to us that Jan is more busy with peripheral events. Jan has to make choices. I have no influence on that but, if he wanted my advice, that was possible.

Riddle me this, how is moving from a makeweight Dutch side to the cream of the Prem bad?

Mike.

sounds like an attempt at manipulating dutch players to stay in the dutch league to preserve their place in the national team
    i can understand why he wants his own national league to be stronger, blows for kromp though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

How many players in the dutch squad actually play in the netherlands?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

mike65 wrote:
    Marco van Baston shoots his mouth off.

Riddle me this, how is moving from a makeweight Dutch side to the cream of the Prem bad?

Mike.

If you're not getting your game, its bad for your international ambitions. He hasn't been getting his game since he left the dutch league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

exactly right - playing at any level(within reason) is more important for an international manager than being a squad player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

i can understand why he wants his own national league to be stronger, blows for kromp though

Works very well in Italy, but that isn't it.
    It blows for Kromp because he moved to somewhere to become a backup player, and it is bad for him and the national squad. It's a fairly stupid decesion to make in the january before the WC

Not sure about back up, I suspect he could be our right midfielder for the rest of this season.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Not sure about back up, I suspect he could be our right midfielder for the rest of this season.

doubtfull, i reckon garcia will start ahead of him everytime, if not kewel, who can play on the right if needed.

kronkamp hasnt made much of an impression on me, seems like a lost puppy running around sometimes, nothing about him inspires me with confidence, the only thing he has going for him better than josemi is that he can speak english, and thats not much of a compliment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

el rabitos wrote:
    doubtfull, i reckon garcia will start ahead of him everytime, if not kewel, who can play on the right if needed.

kronkamp hasnt made much of an impression on me, seems like a lost puppy running around sometimes, nothing about him inspires me with confidence, the only thing he has going for him better than josemi is that he can speak english, and thats not much of a compliment.
    Totally disagree (with pretty much everything).
    Kewell is playing on the left, granted he can switch during the game with whoevers on the right but that's mor a tactic then a position. Simple fact is he's not playing on the right this year.
    Gerrard on the other hand has been playing on the right. With Sisoko injured and Alonso having picked up a knock options are starting to get limited in the centre so he's becoming more important there. Which means for the right you have Garcia and Kromkamp. I'd certainly start Garcia ahead of Kromkamp more often for the moment, try to ease him into the team as much as possible as it'll take time.
    If he's looking like a lost kitten I think it's understandable. He's probably playing at the highest level of his career in the premierleague, coming from being a bit-part player in Spain, so if he's going to be playing regularly then he not only has to get used to that but also get used to playing in a new team and a new league which is already in full swing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Totally disagree (with pretty much everything).
    Kewell is playing on the left, granted he can switch during the game with whoevers on the right but that's mor a tactic then a position. Simple fact is he's not playing on the right this year.
    Gerrard on the other hand has been playing on the right. With Sisoko injured and Alonso having picked up a knock options are starting to get limited in the centre so he's becoming more important there. Which means for the right you have Garcia and Kromkamp. I'd certainly start Garcia ahead of Kromkamp more often for the moment, try to ease him into the team as much as possible as it'll take time.
    If he's looking like a lost kitten I think it's understandable. He's probably playing at the highest level of his career in the premierleague, coming from being a bit-part player in Spain, so if he's going to be playing regularly then he not only has to get used to that but also get used to playing in a new team and a new league which is already in full swing.

totally disagree, i said lost puppy, not lost kitten :p

i hear what your saying in regards to kewell, but to be honest. the goal are just not coming, and with gerrard on the right, the goals dont even look like coming.

kewell might not be perfect on the right, but he would be a better option than kronkamp or garcia (who just cant keep the ball in the premiership) i would only be happy to see kewell on the right if it was a crisis, and i reckon thats what it is right now.

liverpool could very well be gone from the champions league next week, and birmingham in the fa cup is not going to be easy at all. you only have to look back a couple of weeks to when liverpool were winning 1 - 0 and blew it against them.

with the progress liverpool have made this year, the performances, the amount of clean sheets, i'd be dissapointed with finishing 3rd behind that piss poor man united side tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

el rabitos wrote:
    totally disagree, i said lost puppy, not lost kitten :p

i hear what your saying in regards to kewell, but to be honest. the goal are just not coming, and with gerrard on the right, the goals dont even look like coming.

kewell might not be perfect on the right, but he would be a better option than kronkamp or garcia (who just cant keep the ball in the premiership) i would only be happy to see kewell on the right if it was a crisis, and i reckon thats what it is right now.

liverpool could very well be gone from the champions league next week, and birmingham in the fa cup is not going to be easy at all. you only have to look back a couple of weeks to when liverpool were winning 1 - 0 and blew it against them.

with the progress liverpool have made this year, the performances, the amount of clean sheets, i'd be dissapointed with finishing 3rd behind that piss poor man united side tbh.
    Puppys, rabbits, whatever :p
    So if we put Kewell on the right would we then move Riise to midfield and use warnock a bit more? Couldn't hurt to try I guess. BTW, think Zenden is hoping to be back before the end of the season :)

The goals ain't coming and I don't expect them to before the end of the season - there's something basicly wrong with the chemistry at the front half of the team. I'm hoping we continue to iron out results til the end of the season through solid defending and the occasional goal - any 2 from 3 of 2nd in the league, reaching CL final or winning FA Cup and I'll be delighted with the season.

I'm afraid for goals we're going to have to wait until Rafa takes stock at the end of the season and decides what direction he wants to go in, should be interesting :)

• Advertisement

Reina
    Finnan---Cara---Agger---Riise
    Kronkamp-Gerrard-Alonso-Kewell
    Luis Garcia
    Crouch

would be my starting prem 11

Leaving Hamann and Hyppia mainly for Europe, if Benifca dont put the kybosh on that.

Mike.

Looking at Duff playing tonight for Ireland makes you think what a great singing he would have been for us.If only....

yeah, but it didn't happen and i prefer not to think about it :)

Are you saying Kewell is'nt as good!? ;)

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Flicked onto the england game after the Irish one finished just as SWP was coming on. He was outstanding and would absolutely love to see rafa go all out to get him to fill the right wing void that we have been missing for so long. He is wasted at Chelsea.

IMO SWP made a very bad move going to Chelsea,if we had him we would be close to the finished article.He is definitely wasted at Chelsea....and in a world cup year.

• Advertisement

This is slightly OT but I just read that Gary Macs wife who's been ill for some time has passed away.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    This is slightly OT but I just read that Gary Macs wife who's been ill for some time has passed away.

Thats so sad.

Y.N.W.A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Tragic :(.

Click Here to post a message of support for Gary McAllister.

• Advertisement

Inter Milan now after Rafa in todays Sunday Times.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Good news Sissoko expects to play again before the end of the season

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151660060305-1137.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I have a nasty feeling about this round of Rafa stories. The way I see it is that he is not content managing a club competing for 2nd and 3rd spot and he realises that he will need roughly 30 million to get some quality in. If he wont get it. He will go.

Its Sunday, the papers have much space to fill. Anyway I think rafa will get the money he wants, which may or may not be 30 million.

Mike.

Sajan wrote:
    I have a nasty feeling about this round of Rafa stories. The way I see it is that he is not content managing a club competing for 2nd and 3rd spot and he realises that he will need roughly 30 million to get some quality in. If he wont get it. He will go.

looking at the italian and spainish league tables, if he goes to inter and real he will be battling for 2nd or 3rd spot with them aswell.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

they have to give him the money or else we'll have to be content with playing second fiddle to chelsea again next season! i reckon rafa with some money to spend who knows what we could do in the prem!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

looking at the italian and spainish league tables, if he goes to inter and real he will be battling for 2nd or 3rd spot with them aswell.

Money is the key. I think he will stay at liverpool if he gets the money to buy the strikers he wants. He has done very well in his time there and would more than likely want to see if he can bring the team on further but to do that he definitly needs a considerable amount of money to buy a couple of world class strikers and they dont come cheap.

Maybe he'll Buy Ruud in the summer.

lol, dont think so

i did see the figure of 30mil in a paper today, with obvious emphasis on strikers
    i'd love it if he did get enough to bring in at least one -world class- striker

do whatever, just dont lose rafa (or bankrupt the club :p)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭Iceman_5000

Arn't liverpool 70million odd in debt. I think liverpool need to find an investor before they spend 30 million in the summer. Or we may have to sell one or two players..

Arn't liverpool 70million odd in debt. I think liverpool need to find an investor before they spend 30 million in the summer. Or we may have to sell one or two players..

Anyone have a link to this "70million in debt"?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement