Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

woodyg wrote:
    Well lets start getting realistic here. For the pool to sign the top players were going to have to pay a little over the top in wages which is acceptable.

I think it might be in the pools best interest to of load Baros specially since his contract is up next season (redspider is this correct?).
    6 to 8 million for him would be acceptable.

I agree that Liverpool will have to pay decent wages to attract the players they want. But when doing financial comparisons, a simple mistake is to look at the headline transfer fee only, and not at the whole package which includes the salary and bonuses, etc. The total package is the real cost to Liverpool. The information on salaries is not so readily available and rumours can be wrong.

In terms of the length of Baros' contract, according to this, its onw more year:
    ++
    Dalibor Lacina, one of Baros' representatives, said: "Milan is now on holidays in the Czech Republic and he doesn't think it would be good to leave Liverpool now.

"At Liverpool there is still a lot of euphoria after that unexpected Champions League triumph, and also the club has been awarded a place in next season's Champions League.

"So Baros prefers to stay at Liverpool these days.

"There are many calls from the Lyon representatives to our agency, but as I hinted that meeting would have been good for nothing at present.

"And also Milan is not under pressure to make a transfer as he still has one year certainly at Liverpool and as I know he wants to fight for his place in the squad."
    ++

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭tel922001

This is getting rediculious, this is what some guy wrote about spanish players and liverpool

http://footballcommentator.blogspot.com/2005/06/exclusive-liverpool-buys-entire.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just seen something which I wont give details on but if its true then its a bit of a shock (it involves a new player signing for Pool).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

mike65 wrote:
    Just seen something which I wont give details on but if its true then its a bit of a shock (it involves a new player signing for Pool).

Mike.

Aah go on. is it glen fitzpatrick? :) am i even remotely close? can we do a hotter/colder thing till i get it?

Well I'm keeping quite on this one (as I could be soooooooo wrong) but I'll say this much - he was linked to us a few seasons ago before another club made a better offer.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

easy ;) Duffer

and ill wet myself if we get him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Go on mike65, is that it? How reliable is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Sure just say it! Put a big disclaimer after it though, it is a rumours thread.

seems to be doin the rounds,

dunno if its speculation as chelsea seem to have the wright phillips deal sealed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Why would Chelsea sell Duff? Mourinho's 'best player' in many matches according to Mourinho himself.
    If they were to sell him, would they really sell him to another club in the premiership?
    And if so, do ya not think that he'd
    A. Have a problem going to a team that isn't in the top 3
    B. Go to his childhood hated team

That said, now we're talking about speculation on a rumour that is very dodgy, which i think is kinda funny :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

More likely to be Kezman no?

pool were in for him along with chelsea when he was at psv. and duff going anywhere near liverpool after his performances last year isnt going to happen.

so if its any chelsea player its Kezman, rather him than kuyt tbh

Kezman is an absolutly quality player and would score 20+ goals a season at Liverpool no doubt if he gotta run.
    Hope it ain't Kezman :)

Okay its Duff*!

Mike.

*may not be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

PHB wrote:
    :)

is he not a liverpool supporter? i thought he was

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

PHB wrote:
    Why would Chelsea sell Duff? Mourinho's 'best player' in many matches according to Mourinho himself.
    If they were to sell him, would they really sell him to another club in the premiership?
    And if so, do ya not think that he'd
    A. Have a problem going to a team that isn't in the top 3

That said, now we're talking about speculation on a rumour that is very dodgy, which i think is kinda funny :)

Maybe if Chelsea were to acquire Joaquin? I don't think Duff hating Liverpool as a child matters a toss. Lovely thought, mike65, thanks!

• Advertisement

He is a United supporter afaik.
    Hence why he was so pissed off that United didn't offer the money when CHelsea ewre buying him, also why the deal took so long

Also why imo he was such a **** to Ronaldo in the Irish game, cause United bought Ronaldo instead of Duff

d'oh! would prefer joaquin at pool instead of duff AND swp, would much rather kezman to kuyt too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote:
    Okay its Duff*!

Mike.

*may not be true

Jesus Mike thats some ***** your talking ;) you are so full of *****

*Messing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PHB wrote:

anyone for Alan smith? no? okay.

as for him kicking lumps out out ronadlo cos united bought him instead, priceless! :D

Kezman can be good against weaker opposition but I dont think he has it as a top striker. He was very successful in NL with PSV I think it was but the defences in the english league are tougher, although half of those are weak. I cant see Chelsea selling him to Liverpool though.

Parry is now confident of keeping Gerrard, so there goes any chance of an extra 30m ukp, and half a new team:

Liverpool Chief Executive Rick Parry has said he is confident that captain Steven Gerrard will be staying at the club and has told supporters there is no need to panic.

On Monday Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said he was confident that Gerrard would commit his long term future to Anfield and Parry echoed that sentiment.

Parry said: "There is nothing new about Gerrard but there will be an announcement in due course. We're happy we want Steven to stay and hope he's going to stay and there's no cause for concern on our part.

"We've always said we hope Steven's going to be with us, we want to win trophies and Steven wants to win trophies.

If Baros also stays, Liverpool are not likely to make a lot of signings.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

It'll be interesting to see if Rafa plays Baros in the Champions League qualifying rounds as this would cup tie him and put off any clubs who may bid for him.

Can't see him warming the bench either. And with Cisse and Morientes now available Rafa has more striking options. It's well known that Baros wants away and had the Valencia deal gone through he'd have raced out the door. Doesn't seem to want to play for us so maybe we're better off getting rid of him now.

As regards Dudek, there is a player that is desparate to hold onto his Liverpool place. He has stated that he has wants to stay and fight for his place but Rafa seems intent on using him as a makeweight in the deal for Kuyt.

Kezman can be good against weaker opposition but I dont think he has it as a top striker

i seem to remember him scoring against united in the champions league a couple of years ago.

and did RVN not build his reputation in the dutch league? Kezmans record in the same league is better than RVN's. uniteds team is built to support his strengths as a striker, whereas Kezman didnt even get a run of more than 2 starts. i bet if he goes to la liga he'll bag 20 goals or there abouts, and it will be chelseas loss

Yeh, he will score umpteen goals in la liga and it will be CHelsea's loss.
    Kezman has the positional instincts of Van Nist, but hasn't had the encourage and coaching that Van Nist got.
    I'd love for United to sign him in a second, and Madrid are in for a treat next year with him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If United signed him, Ruud would leave..

liverpool have signed stelios for 2m apparently, not a bad signing, not too many out and out right wingers with prem experience going

now for the duffer, its all over kop talk

please let it be true!

Just saw that! He had been linked in January. The number I see is £1.7 million, decent value and he's a good player.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Mike whats your source on the Duff thing?

Can you reveal any more?

Emmo

koptalk insider has it

The clues posted on Koptalk were a bit convoluted but it made reference to the man who discovered Duffer (Pat Devlin) and a pint of Stout!

Mike.

it actually makes sense if chelsea get SWP. they claim rick parry has been in talks with Pat Devlin (duffs agent) for 3 months now??

• Advertisement

Wonder what could possibly make Mourhino sell Duff?
    And how much will cost as Chelsea spent 17m bringing Duff to Stamford bridge?

Can't see Rafa wanting to blow so much of his transfer budget on one player who is injury prone.

cerbeus wrote:

Can't see Rafa wanting to blow so much of his transfer budget on one player who is injury prone.

hes played 54 games this season hasnt he? thats really injury prone.

Would have thought Kewell was enough. :D

cerbeus wrote:
    Wonder what could possibly make Mourhino sell Duff?
    And how much will cost as Chelsea spent 17m bringing Duff to Stamford bridge?

the fact that he rates robben above him and that he is going to sign swp to replace him

He has stated on multiple occasions that Duff was Chelsea's best player.
    He has not said this about Robben.
    He has dropped Robben for Duff.
    And there has been no bid whatsoever from CHelsea for SWp, thats just made up.

p.s.
    Duff wouldn't join Liverpool anyway, he expects to compete for the quadruple next year

PHB wrote:
    He has stated on multiple occasions that Duff was Chelsea's best player.
    He has not said this about Robben.
    He has dropped Robben for Duff.
    And there has been no bid whatsoever from CHelsea for SWp, thats just made up.

p.s.
    Duff wouldn't join Liverpool anyway, he expects to compete for the quadruple next year

when did he say duff was chelseas best player? when did he drop robben for duff? SWP will goto chelsea in all likelyhood, and he can compete for a quadruple with liverpool just as much as he can with chelsea.

Any liverpool, chelsea, man u (re) :D, or arsenal player will be competing for the quadruple next year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Cyrus wrote:
    Any liverpool, chelsea, man u (re) :D, or arsenal player will be competing for the quadruple next year

Dont forget Everton.

scuse me :D

and everton ;)

Ok, well thats just dellusional but you can think that if you want.
    If you think Liverpool are going to compete at anywhere near the same level as CHelsea for the four trophies next year, well theres nothing i can say.

He said it on multiple occasions, the one i remember him actually saying it word for word was before the Liverpool game when he was injured

Robben was dropped for Duff because Joe Cole had been on form, and it was decided Duff is a better team player by Mourinho.
    Also hints were given out that Mourinho was pissed off at Robben not taking it for the team, Duff's commitment and respect is best shown by Mourinho putting him at left back in one match.

What have you got to suggest SWP will go to CHelsea that wasn't just made up, and then just rebuffed instantly by Man City.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    Ok, well thats just dellusional but you can think that if you want.
    If you think Liverpool are going to compete at anywhere near the same level as CHelsea for the four trophies next year, well theres nothing i can say.

He said it on multiple occasions, the one i remember him actually saying it word for word was before the Liverpool game when he was injured

Robben was dropped for Duff because Joe Cole had been on form, and it was decided Duff is a better team player by Mourinho.
    Also hints were given out that Mourinho was pissed off at Robben not taking it for the team, Duff's commitment and respect is best shown by Mourinho putting him at left back in one match.

What have you got to suggest SWP will go to CHelsea that wasn't just made up, and then just rebuffed instantly by Man City.

How do you know whats going to happen next season, no one thought arsenal would fall apart last year, but they did

Chelsea wont have it as easy next year and at the start of the season liverpool will entered in the same four trophies as chelsea. Last season chelsea won the premiership (one of them) Liverpool won the CL (another one of them) and they played each other in the final of the league cup which chelsea won (another one of the 4 trophies) neither team made much of an impression on the FA cup admittedly liverpool even less so. They did a pretty okay job of competing last year having lost there star striker, got a new manager and then having a 14m striker ruled out for the season on top of that (as well as our best midfielder for another 4 months)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

woodyg wrote:

from all i can see anywhere its advanced but not done.

My hunch is that Gerrard will stay, with talks just getting under way. 80k a week is 4m per year, quite a wad out of the salary budget:

Liverpool are expected to open talks with Steven Gerrard today over an extension to his contract in an effort to deflect long-standing interest from Real Madrid and Chelsea.
    Gerrard, who has two years left on his contract, is due to report back with the first-team squad for training at Melwood this morning, with discussions likely to begin in the afternoon.

The 25-year-old has been confused by the delay in starting talks, though his instinct is to remain at the club he has supported since his youth. Yet the outcome of the initial round of talks may be pivotal.

"Of course I want to stay here," he has said. "I don't know how long the talks will go on for, but the sooner they start the better because I want my future sorted before the start of the new season."

Gerrard is aware of Real's interest, which prompted two telephone calls from the Spanish club's director of football Arrigo Sacchi to Rafael Benitez. Chelsea's admiration has been constant though he rejected a move to Stamford Bridge last summer. Yet Liverpool have reiterated throughout the summer that they have no intention of losing their captain.

The England midfielder will seek evidence of that in his negotiations, with Liverpool likely to offer an improved package that would take his salary beyond 80,000 a week and establish him as the highest earner in the club's history.

The delay in talks was partly due to the absence of Gerrard's agent, Struan Marshall of SFX, who has been abroad on honeymoon. The player himself has been away, and the club's chief executive Rick Parry returned from a holiday in Barbados before attending the Champions League qualifying draw in Nyon.

Last season chelsea won the premiership (one of them) Liverpool won the CL (another one of them) and they played each other in the final of the league cup which chelsea won (another one of the 4 trophies) neither team made much of an impression on the FA cup admittedly liverpool even less so.

1st in Premiership vs. 5th in Premiership(30 points behind?)
    CL Semi Finalists vs. CL Winners.
    FA Cup 5th round vs. FA Cup 3rd Round
    Winners of League Cup vs. Runners up in league cup

Liverpool competeted in two of those compos, two.
    And they were cups.
    They did not compete in the league whatsoever and there was never a period during the enitre season where people thought, hey Liverpool could win this.
    I don't think anybody expects Liverpool to do as well next year in the CL, cause very few teams ever have been able to achieve that, so they'll really only be competing one cup next year unless they turn it around.
    They have done nothing to suggest that they can.
    How do you know whats going to happen next season, no one thought arsenal would fall apart last year, but they did
    Chelsea wont have it as easy next year

Arsenal fell apart ending up on 80+ points :)
    Chelsea won't have it easy next year, it'll be tougher.
    at the start of the season liverpool will entered in the same four trophies as chelsea.

Yes, but thats not what Duffers would expect when you he wants to play in all four trophies.
    I'm talking about being odds on favorites, or in the top 5 teams to win all the compos, which I'm sure CHelsea are.
    Liverpool are 16/1 to win the premiership!
    Nobody but die hard Liverpool supporters think they have a chance.
    They did a pretty okay job of competing last year having lost there star striker, got a new manager and then having a 14m striker ruled out for the season on top of that (as well as our best midfielder for another 4 months)

Well first off to say he is your best midfielder isn't fair at all on the man who won you the CL final.
    You did lose owen, and get a injured replacement.
    To say that getting a new manager was a negative is odd :)
    I think Benetiz did a fantastic job, and I can't sing his praises highly enough. I was incredibly annoyed when he signed for Lvierpool cause frankly I wanted him to replace Fergie.
    I think he did great last year

Look this isn't a dissing Liverpool thread, I think they did an amazing job this year.
    That said,
    Liverpool are not in contention for the Premiership next year. THey do not have the consistancy.
    Maybe they'll break into the top 4(i.e. only loss out on top 3 by 5 or 10 points) but that is optimistic imo, and there have been no signs of Liverpool showing the ability to beat Wigan in the winter.
    Sure they are in the FA Cup and League Cup, and they might win them, so they have a chance, and I'd say a similar chance to Chelsea, but not a great chance.
    They are in the CL, and I think after Porto and Liverpool nobody is gona write off any half decent team, but I doubt even Liverpool fans expect them to be up there again.

The simple fact of the matter is Duff is out of Liverpools league for a couple of years.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

PHB really will you stop posting anything about liverpool every single thing you write about them is the same bias tripe.
    Really you're just wreckin my head.
    Liverpool can compete they didnt last year because they were playing a new system not unlike Ferigies early years when they could of been relegated and if winning the CL in your 1st season isnt a decent sign of things to come then i just dont know what is.

• Advertisement

It is a sign of things to come, but those things to come are about 2 or 3 years down the line when he replaces the majority of the deadweight, which can't be done instantly, and can only be done over a couple of seasons

PHB wrote:

The simple fact of the matter is Duff is out of Liverpools league for a couple of years.

NO he isnt. If chelsea accept a bid, duff will go to liverpool. Personnaly i dont think they will, but you cant say duff would never go to chelsea.

The Reina purchase is looking ever more likely now given that Kirkland is going out on loan, probably happening on Friday:

+
    Rafael Benitez will clinch his first signing of the summer when he brings in Spanish goalkeeper Jose Reina on Friday.
    Reina will arrive from Villarreal in an 8 million deal and will meet up with his new team-mates at Melwood on Monday week.
    +

I would have preferred to see the 8m spent in other departments on the pitch. Lets hope Reina is consistent and consistemtly good at that. A pity for Dudek in a way who is now likely to be the 2nd choice from the start of the season, and probably wont get many starts until Reina has a bad run, if he does.

Another step in the "Spanish-isation" of Liverpool, which if overdone can only be a bad thing for Liverpool. We've been there with the french-ification under Houllier, and now those players are being offloaded (Cheyrou, La Tallec, Diarra, etc) and it would be ironic that say in 3 years time or so that a new manager was offloading the likes of Josemi, Nunez, Reina, Morientes, etc.

In terms of the Duff discussion, I dont think that Mourinho would even dream about selling him, given the way he performed last year. Every player has a price of course, but Duff is not for sale so his valuation would be prohibitive.

In terms of Liverpool competing, well they did very well last season in the CL, and did ok in the league cup, so clearly have capability to challenge. I dont think they will be a top-2 team next season, as they were a few seasons ago, lest we forget. They should be in the top-4 at least. A lot will depend on players individual motivation. They should have it given that they can now see what they can do once they apply themselves.

Redspider

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

redspider wrote:
    The Reina purchase is looking ever more likely now given that Kirkland is going out on loan, probably happening on Friday:

+
    Rafael Benitez will clinch his first signing of the summer when he brings in Spanish goalkeeper Jose Reina on Friday.
    Reina will arrive from Villarreal in an 8 million deal and will meet up with his new team-mates at Melwood on Monday week.
    +

I would have preferred to see the 8m spent in other departments on the pitch.

A good keeper is worth its weight in gold, just look at what Cech did for chelsea last year. He wasn't needed for a lot of games but whenever he was called upon he could always be relied on and in the end was responsible just as much as lampard terry and duff for chelsea winning the league. Personally I have never seen Reina play (at least I dont think I have) but I have only read/heard good things about him. The last few seasons have seen Dudek cost liverpool too many points because of errors, unforced errors at that. If he is as good/reliable as he is made out to be then it can only be a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

SBS-6 have announced we have signed Kuyt for 7.6M on a four year deal.
    He was reportedly hanging around melwood this morning.

Spanish radio have announced Figo has signed on a 2 year deal for free

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement