Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

eyerer wrote:
    looks interesting, a LB is needed
    traore is woeful and should be shipped out

on a free that would possibly be a good move

Giving him away and paying his wages for a few years would be good business imo. Just as long as he's as far away from Anfield as possible, (although I'd welcome him back in an opposition defence :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

warnock has been terrible as well - the guy looks like a bag of nerves on the ball and hardly seems to even try and get forward and on the odd occassion he does he cant cross for sh1t... all lbs would be welcome.
    i think this season has shown that the squad isn't in need of just 2/3 players but we need a new left back, two wingers, another centre midfielder(we have really missed sissoko - which surprised me!) and two top quality strikers (assuming Agger, Kromkamp and this new CB are up to it)

not gonna do that with 30m :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

yeah sissoko's absence has been evident in the results
    hope gonzalez is good, i'm tired of kewell tbh. even his resurrgence still is nowhere near what he used to be. my patience is gone with a lot of underperformers

why does it seem like every summer about 8 players need to be replaced

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

warnock has been terrible as well - the guy looks like a bag of nerves on the ball and hardly seems to even try and get forward and on the odd occassion he does he cant cross for sh1t...

i thought i would be panned for suggesting warnock should be sold. good to see i'm not the only one that noticed he's terrible on the ball and cant string 2passes together.

i like to see english players and scousers in the team, but theres enough complacency in the team and it just has to be shipped out. simple as. warnock and traore and the like wont win what we all want liverpool to win.
    why does it seem like every summer about 8 players need to be replaced

why do top players that arrive at the club suddenly turn ****?

why do the team liverpool are about to play have they're top player(s) coming back from injury or suspension just in time for the liverpool match?

why do these previously injured or suspended players score the winning goal that beats liverpool

why can liverpool beat all the average&crap teams then lose to the top teams in one season or beat all the top teams and lose to the crap teams in the next season?

it seems that since 1990 liverpool fc has 2 gears, crap or complacency

....maybe to fans of other clubs that just seems like alot of moaning, or maybe those are the things that happens to every club and i shouldnt expect more from liverpool, oh well :p

some good points, dont forget that keepers always have the game of their lives against liverpool's **** strikers :)

or that our incoming keeper is the next schmiecal or de goey but after half a season they cant get near a cross??

[MANUFAN]what a bunch of whining bastards[/MANUFAN] :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Saw that, good news. Also saw yet another Real to bid for Alonso story

http://www.football365.com/teams/liverpool/story_179940.shtml

Won't happen. Gerrard to Real would be more likely under Rafa.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

It says in that report that Aureilo will be the first Brazillian to sign for Liverpool, did GH not buy some crap Brazillian years ago? Adilson or somethin was his name, dont think he ever got his game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

Would newcastle sell Owen for less than they bought him for 6 months later? I doubt it.. Liverpool won't pay £15m+ for him.

He has a get out clause of 12m that is most definietly in our range.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

My concern would be for Owen's wage packet. He is used to large wages at Newcastle to entice him to sign so he would expect to be paid a hefty sum if he did transfer. Can't see Michael taking a drop in salary to play for Liverpool.
    Unlike Robbie Fowler who would have crawled over hot coals to re-sign.

someone said that he's an england player first and whatever club is an after thought. i then read a news article after he was injured where he commented about how he should be ok in time to play for england.

injured for half the season and has numerous dry spells. well, i just dont like him as well.

hope to see that aurelio news confirmed on a real site :)

reina

finnan - carra - agger/paletta - aurelio
    simao? - gerrard - alonso - gonzalez
    crouch/kuyt/owen/bent/defoe/my cousin gerry?

at ~10mil a piece maybe those 3 needed players could be had

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Is Gonzalez not a right winger?

If he is (and provided he's as good as Rafa claims he is) this would be my first team...

Reina
    Finnan - Carra - Agger - Aurelio
    Gonzalez - Gerrard - Alonso - Risse
    ? - ?

Subs: Paletta, Kromkamp, Sissoko, Garcia, ?

As you can see, I think the strike force is still the biggest problem. I'd like to keep Crouch and get rid of the rest of them. Bring in two top strikers and recall Pongolle from loan.
    Obviously Agger, Kromkamp, Gonzalez, Paletta and Aurelio have yet to prove themselves.
    To anyone thinking WTF is Garcia doing in the squad, I think he could be a great supersub. He has a knack of getting the goals when we need them (even if he is ****e for the other 89 minutes he's on the pitch).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

Kromcrap more like, stupid playing him in midfield, hes a right full.

I'd save the team a few mill by playing Kromkamp at RB and Finnan at RW then buy someone as back for him, like Victor. Finnan can get forwards with ball at feet and knows how to cross.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

mike65 wrote:
    I'd save the team a few mill by playing Kromkamp at RB and Finnan at RW then buy someone as back for him, like Victor. Finnan can get forwards with ball at feet and knows how to cross.

Mike.

If we want to seriously challenge chelsea next season we need a quality right winger. Finnan isnt good enough. Hes a great crosser, but he cant dribble or beat a player one on one. He wouldnt score enough goals aswell.

Rafa signs contract extension! 3 years according to Sky.

Mike.

excellent
    best signing of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

definately the best news in this mini crisis liverpool are in atm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭cerbeus

If this is indeed true does this mean that somehow, somewhere the board have managed to put together a substantial amount of money for the next batch of players that Rafa wants to bring in?

Also what happens to the new stadium funding? Is that where the money is coming from?

according to rafa they're talking about an extension, not signed anything yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

From tomorrows Times
    BENÍTEZ TO STAY

RAFAEL BENÍTEZ has ended weeks of speculation about his future by signing a one-year extension to his contract at Liverpool that will keep him at the club until 2010. The news will come as a huge relief to the club’s supporters, who were fearful that their manager could be prised away in the summer by either Inter Milan or Real Madrid.

Also what happens to the new stadium funding? Is that where the money is coming from?

theres not going to be a new stadium, not within the next 5 years at least unless theres some outside investment found

tbh i'm suprised that parry and moores are having so much difficulty finding investment for a club with the fan base internationally that liverpool have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

There's a few things going on with the stadium situation. The club need a bigger stadium if they are to keep up their income levels in comparison to Man U, Chelea, Arsenal and Newcastle. Moores has also indicated that he wants out if the right bid came along for his 51% share. LFC could go to the banks and get money on loan to fund a new stadium, but that would cost in interest and could be a long-term burden. It would be better for those involved if a new investor came in, bought out Moores share or most of it and put in extra money to fund a new stadium. There are also issues with the go-ahead/location/size of the new stadium with the City council I understood.

To me it sounds like they are trying to choose very carefully what happens and not rush in but also they are not pushing things at all costs and with urgency, perhaps as it is needed and are not risking it, such as Abramovich and the Glaziers.

redspider

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Fernando Torres has said that Newcastle are trying to buy him and he is leaving Athletico in the summer. Surely he would be an ideal target for Liverpool? This could also mean that Owen wants out and they are trying to buy a replacement?

i think newcastle think they're a bigger club than they actually are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

el rabitos wrote:
    i think newcastle think they're a bigger club than they actually are.

Certainly have the ambition and money to be bigger that they are currently. They may not be doing too well in the league but they are still one of the biggest clubs in England. No one in their right mind can dispute this.

i must not be in my right mind then.

they've won nothing. having money doesnt make a club big.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

having a big fanbase makes a big club, which makes Newcastle a big club.

• Advertisement

they have a big fanbase in newcastle. they're a huge club in newcastle

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

They only have a big fan base because there are not many clubs in the North East.Compared to the North West.....Liverpool, Everton, Manchester United, Blackburn Rovers,Manchester City,Tranmere Rovers,Bolton and Wigan to name a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

Did ye see that momo was back in training this morning which is a huge boast for us, considering it was thought that he mightn`t ever play again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

el rabitos wrote:
    they have a big fanbase in newcastle. they're a huge club in newcastle

They have a massive fan base. Have a 50,000 seater stadium. Have lots of money. Their squad consists of the some class players:

- Given
    - Boumsong
    - Carr
    - Solano
    - Emre
    - Bowyer
    - Dyer
    - Parker
    - Luque
    - Owen
    - Shearer

They have just had a series of ****e managers and their chairman, although provides alot of cash, is a ****ing nutjob..

They are a big club in a worldwide scale and are probably the 5th or 6th biggest in the PL when you consider all factors.

Boumsong

:eek:

They are in for Torres from Real. So thats who's replacing Owen then! ;)

Mike.

:rolleyes: here we go, i'm not ANTI-newcastle or anything, and this is the liverpool thread, not the lets talk about the credibility of newcastle thread. but i'll humour u.

- Given - great keeper, won nothing
    - Boumsong - awful player, won nothing significant
    - Carr - nothing again
    - Solano - nothing
    - Emre - nothing significant
    - Bowyer - nothing + waster
    - Dyer - good player, won nothing
    - Parker - good player, bit over rated, won nothing(chelsea won, he watched)
    - Luque - good player, there for the money i reckon
    - Owen - only there because rafa got rid of him and wouldnt buy him back for 2 times the amout he sold him.
    - Shearer - won nothing at newcastle
    They have just had a series of ****e managers and their chairman, although provides alot of cash, is a ****ing nutjob..

Kenny Dagleish + Bobby Robson + Ruud Guillet, All won throphys with previous clubs, couldnt get newcastle anything

keegan got them promoted

souness is dire, jiven turkey will dissagree, then lemilin will dissagree with him, then jivin turkey will list his achievements and this will no longer be the liverpool thread, so i'll leave it at that.

newcastle are a top 10 team with a big stadium and a chairman with half a peanut as a brain imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Were Manu a big club when they first won the premiership? they hadn't won the league for 24 years at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

astrofool wrote:
    Were Manu a big club when they first won the premiership? they hadn't won the league for 24 years at that stage.
    of course they were but they had a very successful past and i don't think anyone would describe newcastle's past as very successful which imo is neccessary for a club to be considered big

are liverpool not a big club? they havent won it in 15

liverpool have never fluctuated outside of the top 4 or out of top flight football for decades.

consistancy, fan base, and the size of the trophy cabinet make a big club imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

Seed God scores 1 for the reserves against Wigan last evening in a 2 nil win. Anyone have a link to the goals?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭MrPillowTalk

Have it from a good source in Liverpool that Jermaine Defoe is a done deal for the summer.

Im not a pool fan so I dont know wheither this has been mentioned further back on the thread, if it has apologies for the repeat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

el rabitos wrote:
    souness is dire, jiven turkey will dissagree, then lemilin will dissagree with him, then jivin turkey will list his achievements and this will no longer be the liverpool thread, so i'll leave it at that.

:-)

Btw, I've put my comments about Newcastle's success and how they rate at being a "big club" in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054905601

redspider

might have something to do with spurs being interested in cisse

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=373057&CPID=8&clid=&lid=&title=Tottenham+tracking+Cisse

i've no interest in seeing defoe joining liverpool. his goal scoring touch is hardly legendary and i remember his hasty need for a move out of west ham 2seconds after they were relegated. no thanks spurs.

I think defoe is a en excellent player and a great goal scorer. I not to sure about his attitude though. But i would be willing to give him a chance.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N151780060321-1111.htm

very interesting interview with liverpool's club doctor about momo eye injury. Great too see him back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Should be back for this evening. Nothing short of miraculous.

would like to see us pick up pennant on a cheap when birmingham go down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Call_me_al wrote:
    would like to see us pick up pennant on a cheap when birmingham go down.
    There is no doubting that Pennant has talent. But is he worth the risk? Does he have the right attitude? I don't think so, and don't think he is THAT good that his ability outweights his attitude.

That said, he is young, and talented, if he were available at the right price I would not be upset if he were signed. He would have to step it up though.

well i think benitez would be able to get the best out of him, and in fairness i would perfer him on the wing than gerrard, we need gerrard in the middle with alonso and sissoko.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Call_me_al wrote:
    well i think benitez would be able to get the best out of him, and in fairness i would perfer him on the wing than gerrard, we need gerrard in the middle with alonso and sissoko.
    I personally prefer seeing the team lining up with two up front. Who loses out then out of those three?

The team has put in its best performances this year playing those three with Gerrard wide. And most of Gerrards best performances have come when playing wide. Tonight being a prime example.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement