Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

el rabitos wrote:
    might have something to do with spurs being interested in cisse

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=373057&CPID=8&clid=&lid=&title=Tottenham+tracking+Cisse

i've no interest in seeing defoe joining liverpool. his goal scoring touch is hardly legendary and i remember his hasty need for a move out of west ham 2seconds after they were relegated. no thanks spurs.

what you meant to say was, 'no thanks liverpool'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Apparently a deal has been agreed for aurelio. Superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hang on I thought we'd signed him already or is that another Brazilian defender....(does Brazil have 2 defenders!) ?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

what you meant to say was, 'no thanks liverpool'.

eh....no. i'm pretty positive i meant no thanks spurs. keep your non scoring, moany, i cant get a game for spurs, player. cisse can go where he likes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

More good news on the transfer front

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4832022.stm
    Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse may move to Tottenham in the summer, according to the player's agent.

The 24-year-old has scored in his last two games but is rumoured to be surplus to requirements at Anfield.

"Tottenham should be in touch again this summer and Djibril is very interested," Ranko Stojic told The Sun.

"Spurs are a club on the way up which can offer him more time on the pitch. The situation will sort itself out at the end of the season."

Cisse cost Liverpool £14m when he was signed from Auxerre two years ago and Stojic expects the Reds to accept a £6m loss.

He said: "I don't think the club will oppose his leaving if they can get £8m as they will need to sell in order to buy this summer.

"He has a very good relationship with the Liverpool fans.

"He gets on well with everyone and doesn't want to put everything in question by asking to leave now.

"We know Tottenham are very interested. They got in touch with us on 31 January at 3pm.

"That was only a few hours before the market closed and we did not want to do business."

• Advertisement

Agents, don't you love them?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

mike65 wrote:
    Agents, don't you love them?.

To answer your question....No....

But I think most Liverpool fans would hope he is right. Not sure why Spurs would want Cisse? did they not see him play?

You know how it is, a manager thinks he can see something about a player in a certain system and says 'hell I'll take a chance!' Fans groan.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    You know how it is, a manager thinks he can see something about a player in a certain system and says 'hell I'll take a chance!' Fans groan.

Mike.

Talk of 8million, that is some chance to take. I would rate Keane and Defoe twice the player Cisse is, I know if I was buying would give maybe 4mil max, nothing close to 8million

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Agent Scum wrote:
    "We know Tottenham are very interested. They got in touch with us on 31 January at 3pm.

I don't believe this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I think Defoe is a good player and could be good in a team like Liverpool. However, getting players intra-premiership is not easy. I cant see Spurs taking Cisse and off-loading Defoe, that doesnt add up. Perhaps someone in France will buy back Cisse if he can get a goal or two in the World Cup. I can imagine Benitez wanting to hold on to him and use that as a shop window of sorts. We wont get anywhere near 14m for him though, maybe 8m. Thats 6m for 2 years of service, one of which was ruled out by and large through injury, and a lot of the other one by just not being good enough. Between that amount and the amount spent on wages, a very bad business deal all round.

Any other forwards playing in England who people think that Rafa would like?

redspider

Thiery Henry! :D

Mike.

bit off topic, came across this the other day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyHNQciSKgg&search=rafa%20benitez

rafa's talking cricket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

he's got some skills too!! check out the videos on the left...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

remeber hearing during the newcastle match on sky that liverpoo youths have qualified for the fa youth cup final for the first time in 10years. We won the semi on penos.

Playing either newcastle or man city i think. Great too see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

redspider wrote:
    Any other forwards playing in England who people think that Rafa would like?
    redspider

Aside from a certain Newcastle player.....For a bit of squad cover, why not Yakubu at Boro? Fast, strong and score a few as well. As far as big money signing is concerned, probably not. No first teamers that we can afford anyway. Could be Kuyt and Defoe in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

You'd be willing to spend over the 7 or so million that middlesborough forked out to have Yakubu as squad cover.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

What would folks think of Beckham for the RW?

Just throwing it out there really, no rumours, just a thought.

What would folks think of Beckham for the RW?

short term solution, he comes with too much baggage and a media circus. rafa hot-shotted owen out of the club when he was acting the megastar, he was also tiring of the media circus about gerrard, so beckham wouldnt be his kinda player imo.

i think liverpool sell plenty of shirts already tbh and he's not needed. joaquin/simao/victor/pennant, one of those would be who i'd expect to join in the summer. anyone else would be a suprise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I will eat my hat if Beckham ever played for Liverpool. I can see it possible he might consider playing for Arsenal, but what the hell is an out and out right midfielder whipping balls to nobody who is in the box gona do for Arsenal?

People forget that Beckham is UNited through and through, has been there since he was 14.

and he is a big spurs fan afaik

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Fernando Torres has said that Newcastle are trying to buy him and he is leaving Athletico in the summer. Surely he would be an ideal target for Liverpool? This could also mean that Owen wants out and they are trying to buy a replacement?
    They made an offer for him last summer.

Bannor wrote:
    They made an offer for him last summer.

Long time no see Bannor, hope you back to stay:D

Dub13 wrote:
    I don't believe this.
    Liverpool made an offer of £10M for Defoe, Spurs asked about Cisse in part exchange. The two clubs couldn't come to an agreement on the value of the two players. Liverpool valued them both at £10M. Spurs valued Defoe at £12M and Cisse at £8M. A deal could be done before the summer but if Liverpool secure another target before the World Cup it could be off.

DaBreno wrote:
    Could be Kuyt and Defoe in the summer.
    Kuyt should be secured before the summer, Chelsea are trying to poison the deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Bannor wrote:
    Kuyt should be secured before the summer, Chelsea are trying to poison the deal.
    Bannor, I heard a rumour about Beckham flying about in the last week... any truth (please say no...)?

Anything else of note? SWP?

Any word on investment?

el rabitos wrote:
    joaquin/simao/victor/pennant, one of those would be who i'd expect to join in the summer. anyone else would be a suprise
    Joaquin - Real Betis want too much money. A part exchange deal might be possible but Betis will need to avoid relegation.

Simao - After the fiasco last summer and Benfica pulling out of the agreed transfer in January and trying to use Chelsea to drive up the price it's unlikely that Liverpool will deal with them again.

Victor - won't happen. He was offered a rolling contract by Liverpool in January. One year with the option of another etc. but he wanted a guaranteed two year contract with the option of a third. He also wanted £20k a week more than what was on offer.

Pennant - There was a deal in place for the January transfer window but Steve Bruce pulled the plug on it at the last minute. Might still happen in the summer but there are other targets.

Others:

Mark Gonzalez is a Liverpool player now. He can play right or left wing.

Daniel Alves (Sevilla) - I've posted about him since Benitez joined the club, but it could be happening this summer. There's another €12M offer for him on the table, Sevilla are holding out for more money and are hoping that there will be more interest if he secures Spanish citizenship. If they don't qualify for Europe next season they will have to sell some players.

Xabi Prieto (Real Sociedad) - He's the reason Mark Gonzalez was sent on loan for the rest of the season to Sociedad.

And there are a few more 'possibilities'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Good to see you back Bannor, keep up the good work.

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Bannor, I heard a rumour about Beckham flying about in the last week... any truth (please say no...)?

Anything else of note? SWP?

Any word on investment?
    Real are looking to rebuild the team this summer and Beckham is still part of the plan from what I've heard. Raul and Ronaldo have been offered to various clubs at knock down prices but there are no takers. Ronaldo was verbally offered a pay as you play contract by Liverpool but it's not likely to amount to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

How is Mark Gonzalez getting on at Real Socidead? Is he getting his game? What position has he been playing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I saw him briefly a couple of weeks ago - looked great - he got a great shot on him, very quick too.

Scored on his first game back from injury.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Welcome back Bannor.. Cheers for the updates..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Welcome back Bannor.. Cheers for the updates..

Here, Here!

SofaKing wrote:
    How is Mark Gonzalez getting on at Real Socidead? Is he getting his game? What position has he been playing?
    He's not fully match fit yet but he's improving. He was only used as a substitute in games in February but has been starting games since the beginning of March. He has yet to complete 90 minutes.

Gonzalez was their best player against Barcelona last weekend and gave the Barca defense quite a problem - he was unlucky not to score when he smacked the ball against a post after beating 2/3 players. The previous week against Deportivo he whipped in a cross from the left wing reminiscent of what Beckham used to deliver from the right wing for RVN.

He plays on the left wing mostly and his biggest problem is that the team can't get the ball to him enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Good to see you back Bannor. I hope you will be the bearer of good news/rumour in terms of Liverpool's attack line. It takes more than a 7-0 win against Brum to satisfy my qualms!

Kuyt - I see two things with him. The first is that he is pricey and the 2nd is that he is not really good enough, unless he develops more after he arrives.

Beckham - a move to Liverpool is very unlikely. Real Madrid make too much money off him as it is. Spurs may be a good place for him to return to some year soon.

Defoe - I like his style, but 12m is pricey. A swap for Cisse is doable but why would Spurs do that. It doesnt make any sense.

redspider

i would pay 2million + cisse for defoe as long as he never has to play on the right!!! but seriously we have to forget about the 14m spent on him, take a real world valuation and cut our losses. imho that would be a good deal - although 4m + cisse may be pushing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Spurs are desperate to sell Defoe according to Benetiz, interesting!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4842262.stm
    Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez claims Tottenham are "desperate" to sell England international Jermain Defoe.

Benitez made his comments after Spurs boss Martin Jol denied he wanted to sign Liverpool striker Djibril Cisse.

The French striker's agent has suggested talks may resume in the summer and has floated the possibility of a swap deal involving Defoe.

Benitez said: "Spurs are desperate to sell Defoe, they're trying to sell the player and Cisse is in the middle."

Benitez added: "But he is our player - and at the moment I am happy with my strikers. Spurs talk about Cisse, they are desperate to sell."

Rafael Benitez claims Tottenham are "desperate" to sell Jermain Defoe.

The Liverpool boss, speaking on the eve of the 203rd Merseyside derby at Anfield, made his stunning revelation just 24 hours after Spurs boss Martin Jol denied any interest in signing Reds striker Djibril Cisse.

Cisse's agent reported this week there was a failed transfer-window deadline-day move from Spurs to sign the Frenchman - adding negotiations may resume in the summer, with the possibility of a swap deal with Defoe.

Benitez has shed a new light on the situation, though, saying: "They [Spurs] are desperate to sell Jermain Defoe, and Cisse is in the middle.

"But he is our player - and at the moment I am happy with my strikers. They [Spurs] talk about Cisse, they are desperate to sell."

C

very strange this one, dont know why Beitez would tell the world this, alot of club could moake a move for Defoe leaving Liverpool high and dry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

1. Why would spurs want Cisse
    2 Defoe wont solve pools goal scoring problems. If he cant get a game for spurs he wont start for liverpool

• Advertisement

Spurs are desperate to sell Defoe according to Benetiz, interesting!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/4842262.stm

damn, benetiz must have a mole on the inside at spurs! amazing how he knows these things!

what a silly thing for him to say. must be worried about us taking 3rd spot :)

ohhhhh, when managers and charimen go bad......

In response to Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez's comments today during his pre-match press conference, that we are 'desperate to sell Defoe', our Club Chairman, Daniel Levy, has responded swiftly and angrily:

"I find today's reported comments by Rafael Benitez beyond belief. Not only are they completely untrue, but it is unprecedented that any manager should comment in this way on another team's player. It could in fact be interpreted as a direct and blatant attempt to unsettle Jermain.

There is absolutely no basis, let alone any element of truth whatsoever, in Benitez's claim today that we are looking to sell Jermain. We have not had a single conversation on this point with Liverpool or any other club so I fail to see how he can make this statement. Additionally, for the avoidance of all doubt, we have previously said and I repeat, we have absolutely no intention of making an offer for Cisse or Saha. On all these issues, I resent having to put the record straight when it should never have been put into question.

I should expect that Mr Benitez on reflection, withdraws his wholly inappropriate, unprofessional and inaccurate comments. They do him no credit."

http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/chairmansresponse.html

Tis a strange one alright.

Mike.

personally i think cisse's agent is trying to up his players price by linking him with a club thats improving.
    by associating him with a team like spurs will, i reckon he is trying to get interest in the player but also to increase his sale value as well.

who knows. as you say, strange one indeed.
    maybe rafa is just losing the cool and letting off steam? or maybe its a big psychological thing :)

Well he was talking about cricket the other day so anythings possible! :p

Mike.

personally i think cisse's agent is trying to up his players price by linking him with a club thats improving.
    by associating him with a team like spurs will, i reckon he is trying to get interest in the player but also to increase his sale value as well.

who knows. as you say, strange one indeed.
    maybe rafa is just losing the cool and letting off steam? or maybe its a big psychological thing

because we all know that linking a player to spurs, those throphy mongers, will increase a players value. cisse has won more in his short carreer than spurs have in that period.

liverpool are quoted prices of 7 million for crouch (division 1 player at the time) and 12 million for Kuyt (who's won nothing essentially) and now liverpool need (or cisse's agent) needs to link cisse to spurs to bump up his value?

cisse has what? 16 or 17 goals this year and he's a champions league winner. linking him to spurs wont do much to add some value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Djimi Traore is part of the second best def in the premiership AND has a cl medal. They should try link him to Real Madrid tbh

Djimi Traore is part of the second best def in the premiership AND has a cl medal. They should try link him to Real Madrid tbh

and if they want him they can pay over the odds for him. liverpool seem to be quoted ridiculous prices for players, they should start doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,097 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well if they want HIM, then leave him go for any price! But agreed with respect to everyone else, they want anybody, they pay a decent price for them. No more getting screwed on sales.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

tbh, im a bit drunk right now and things seems clearer

basically defoe > cisse
    simple as, i would let cisse go in a heartbeat to get defoe

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement