Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

apart from the obvious (traore...) who would people like to see gtten rid of this summer from the club? and any suggestions on replacements, barring the players already signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

morientes,dudek and hyppia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Hobart wrote:
    morientes,dudek and hyppia

Agree with Dudek and Morientes.

However, Hyppia should be kept with any doubt.

do you not think that hypia provides some decent cover at the back. i can't see him being as much of a keyfigure any more, but during a long and hopefully sucessful season, experienced cover might be useful.

agree with the other 2 tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hyypia signed a 3 year deal last summer so he's not going anywhere.

Salif Diao still has to be sold, no?

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Kirkland
    Le Tallec
    Traore
    Warnock
    Cisse
    Morientes
    Dudek
    Diao

i reckon only 1 of the 4 strikers will be sold. cisse or mori. probably cisse.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

el rabitos wrote:
    Kirkland

Traore
    Warnock

sell both and leave no versitility for riise to move into the midfield? riise will also never get injured? keep warnock, sell djimi

i'm basing it on the hope of signing fabio aurelio. keep warnock maybe if he'll be content to play backup, he hasnt got it when it comes to playing regualr first team football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hypia is a weakness, and because he used to be good, its hard to let him drop in estimation. Also I'd imagine he is on fairly decent wages.
    Agger is a top quality CB for the future, might as well sell Hypia and buy another youngie in his place

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hyppia has a lot to teach Agger. There's no way Agger is ready for a 40+ game season at the moment.

Hypia is a weakness, and because he used to be good, its hard to let him drop in estimation. Also I'd imagine he is on fairly decent wages.

no offence man, but i'd start hyypia ahead of rio ferdinand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Don't write off Hyypia yet, slow as fcuk, but solid as fcuk as well. He was MOM against ManUre at home this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

hyppia is an excellent centre back. I'd rate him up there with the old-schoolers like Tony Adams / Martin Keown. He has lost some pace (not that he ever had loads) - but that's not his game anyway. He reads the game well, he's great in the air - and he has great understanding with Carragher.

Agger looks good alright, very good on the ball, but he's not as good as Hyppia defensively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Like to see a new left back. Riisse isnt good enough defensivly.

Will someone tell him? ;)

Mike.

• Advertisement

i'd agree with those who said that hypia can be a good teacher to agger, who looks a good buy for the future. i can't se him starting/playing as many games next season though.

as for the others, moro is the striker i'd prefer to see go if it was a choice between him and cisse. he just doesn't seem to have that something he had before, with Real and Monaco. Its suprosed me alright that it hasnt worked out for him, so i'd say get rid now, while we still might get a few quid for him. in saying that thought i can see him and cisse going if the money comes in and rafa has targets in mind.

luis garcia is another that although he has his moments, i wouldnt be too sorry if he went. He's infuriating sometimes and i think if money came in, prob from spain, rafa should let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I'd like to see more of Garcia as a support striker, he seems to do well there. Hopefully with the arrival of a decent right-winger, this'll happen. His versatility is a bonus too, we're going to be playing a lot of games next season if we're to win back our cup! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Garcia isnt really that versatile, tbh he is not a great winger and in most games he plays he is non-existent but may score a peach of a goal. has to be said his first touch is amazing, but he has no strength and his passing must have less than a 50% success rate. if someone came in with good money i would say he would go.

So is everybody happy to keep kewell? he used to be on everybody's "first out the door lists". I would say he will play less next season if Gonzalez settles in well, also i would say we will see less of riise at left wing.

Also realistically, do you all think fowler will get a new contract? would love to see it but i dont think rafa is as much as an admirer as I am.

Finally what is the futures of Mellor, Potter, FSP, Whitbread and the rest of our reserves that Rafa inherited?

btw el rabitos - we still own Cheryou!!!

thats a terrible post for to read at this time. i need to study for my exam tomorrow but i want to give that a rely!!!

kewell - playing much better now. though that wouldn't be hard, not all his fault i know but i see something in his play that i would like to see developed

gonzalez - looks the business, but as soon often before time will tell. could be a real find if he works out.

reserves - i'd hang onto mellor for another year see how he does. value for him won't change that much in 12 months, and i doubt he's on big wages.
    FSP hasn't been gettin his game i understand so his trip on loan may have been wasted. still i rate him. problem is, that with new buys over the summer how many strikers can we realistically have in the squad. depends on who comes and goes i guess

btw el rabitos - we still own Cheryou

i thought he was out of contract this summer. maybe i'm wrong.
    Finally what is the futures of Mellor, Potter, FSP, Whitbread and the rest of our reserves that Rafa inherited?

get rid. with players like traore and cisse in the squad, the less baggage being carried the better.

hang on to pongolle for another year maybe, see how he goes.

carl medjani will probably be sold off aswell. another houlier flop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Call_me_al wrote:
    Also realistically, do you all think fowler will get a new contract? would love to see it but i dont think rafa is as much as an admirer as I am.
    I would have agreed with you except for the fact that he went and brought Fowler in in the first place. The glut of goals we're getting at the moment, Fowler got the first of them.

He was free, he's on lower wages then before, he's hugely motivated and a good person to have in the squad - if he's up to it I'd say he'll be still around.

With regards to Hyypia, I'd agree he has a lot he could teach to Agger. Also I'm happy with him in the team, despite the lack of pace - wouldn't like to see him in the role of cover defender though. He lives on match fitness I think, so he was trying to keep himself going to be used for one match in every six or seven he would be absolutely crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Great goal by mark gonzalez for real sociedad yesterday, second one in this clip - LINK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I was a bit surprised by Rafa and his blow-up about Defoe. I'm not sure who started it, Spurs or Liverpool, but that shouldnt matter really and its the first time I think I've seen Benitez get involved with another manager/club with an exchange of words.

I think that Defoe is a better player than Cisse, but I thought before the recent comments by managers and CEO's/Chairmen that there would be no deal for either player. It just wouldnt make any sense.

I think that Spurs could get around 8m for Defoe but who. Would Chelsea take him for 12m?

redspider

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/4849110.stm
    By Phil McNulty

Spanish tycoon Juan Villalonga's interest in investing in Liverpool is unlikely to lead to him buying a stake in the Anfield club.

The former president of Telecoms giants Telefonica has been linked with Liverpool after the club admitted they were searching for fresh investment.

Liverpool have been linked with a variety of potential suitors

But BBC Sport understands that while Villalonga may be keen on Liverpool, a deal is not expected to materialise.

It is understood Liverpool are aware of his interest, but claims that he has held talks with chairman David Moores are wide of the mark.

Villalonga received a reported £14m pay-off when he left Telefonica last year, and Liverpool are a major source of interest in Spain, with Rafael Benitez as manager and internationals Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia and Fernando Morientes in their side.

Liverpool appointed financial advisors Hawkpoint in March 2004 to seek out potential investors, but the search has so far proved fruitless.

Local building magnate Steve Morgan failed in his bid to buy into the club, and Liverpool have also been linked with American billionaire Robert Kraft.

Chief executive Rick Parry held talks in the US with the Krafts, who own New England Patriots NFL team, but Liverpool insisted he was merely fulfilling a long-standing invitation.

But it is understood talks are still continuing with a number of parties as Liverpool attempt to fund a £170m ground move and provide cash for Benitez to strengthen his squad.

And a very different story from Football365's Rumour Page
    'Flamboyant' Spanish multi-millionaire Juan Villalonga wants to buy a substantial stake in Liverpool, according to the Daily Express. Villalonga heads a consortium interested in the European Champions, and says he wants "Liverpool to change from a domestically focused club into a global force." Liverpool are currently valued at just over £100m, but a takeover bid might cost more than double that. Liverpool are desperately seeking a takeover to raise money for a £200m ground move, as well as to raise funds for transfers.

And they also had this:
    STEED TO LEAVE
    Steed Malbranque finally looks set to leave Fulham this summer. Long-term suitors Aston Villa are interested in the midfielder, but he is more likely to favour a move to the apparently interested Liverpool, and Manchester City are also in the chase...

All very interesting...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I have met Villalonga in business, and I have to say the episode is not remembered fondly. His decision-making leaves a lot to be desired. Not only was he involved in insider dealing and got caught, but there are many deals he has been involved in and hasnt got caught! One of the rumours (;-) ) where he was caught literally with his pants down was where he was caught bonking a female member of staff at the office. Needless to say this did not win him many kudos in the ultra-conservative board of Telefonica. Villalonga was a child of the dot-com era and the Telecoms explosion so when that bubble burst in 2000, many of his super-deals began to unravel and look very expensive and he got the chop. He was/is brash, egotisical etc, and his investment experience is all based on a bubble market.

He is no billionaire, but no doubt he has cash/assets stashed away. Overall, I would think that Liverpool would do well to stay clear of him.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Looks like Gonzalez scored again for Sociedad

have a look:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uTijSy1IKeI

its the second goal in the clip (the one from about 35 yards, after the penalty)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

redspider wrote:
    I have met Villalonga in business, and I have to say the episode is not remembered fondly. His decision-making leaves a lot to be desired. Not only was he involved in insider dealing and got caught, but there are many deals he has been involved in and hasnt got caught! One of the rumours (;-) ) where he was caught literally with his pants down was where he was caught bonking a female member of staff at the office. Needless to say this did not win him many kudos in the ultra-conservative board of Telefonica. Villalonga was a child of the dot-com era and the Telecoms explosion so when that bubble burst in 2000, many of his super-deals began to unravel and look very expensive and he got the chop. He was/is brash, egotisical etc, and his investment experience is all based on a bubble market.

He is no billionaire, but no doubt he has cash/assets stashed away. Overall, I would think that Liverpool would do well to stay clear of him.

redspider
    thanks redspider very interesting.... if true i hope we stay well clear of him. but i having said that if he was part of a consortium who were just investing cash and not excersing control i can't say i'd av much of a prob.

nice goal by gonzalez, you'd have to wonder how the keeper didn't get to it, great strike though. looks like a good prospect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Great goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Whats the deal with Gonzalez.
    Does he get his spanish passport in the Summer or not?
    If he does he's coming bak right?

woodyg wrote:

He had to play for a season in Spain so he would be able to get a work permit to play in England afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

woodyg wrote:
    AFAIK we applied for a work permit and that failed - we can only apply once per year so we have to wait before applying again.
    Soon he should have been in Spain five years or six years, whichever the requirement is to become a national. This doesn't mean we're home and dry though because as I understand it the paperwork required to push this through usually takes quite some time. So it's conceivable that we'd apply again for a work visa while waiting for the Spanish side of things to fall into place.

Hopefully he's definitely coming back, just a matter of when.

p.pete wrote:
    AFAIK we applied for a work permit and that failed - we can only apply once per year so we have to wait before applying again.
    you can only APPEAL once every year. look for faircloughs article on the lfc.tv website about the issue froma couple of months ago. he explained the procedure perfectly as he a member of the committee that decides these things, along with Alex Ferguson and a few others.

EDIT: Found it...
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/archivedirs/news/2005/aug/16/N149680050816-1240.htm

just read this from sporting life.com nt sure how accurate it is, but food for thought. maybe rafa will keep faith with him and ship out cisse???

Misfiring Liverpool striker Fernando Morientes has dismissed speculation linking him with a summer move away from Anfield.

The Spain international has failed to recapture the form which made him one of Europe's most feared marksmen, scoring just 11 goals in 53 appearances since his £6.3million transfer from Real Madrid last January.

But Morientes, who has been linked with moves to Espanyol and an unnamed Turkish club has vowed to show his true worth and promised to show the Kop faithful "the true Morientes".

He told the Daily Post: "I'm not thinking about leaving. I've heard the rumours about Turkey but they don't interest me.

"People here have yet to see the true Fernando Morientes."

I think he'll be one of the players leaving Anfield this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

scoring just 11 goals in 53 appearances since his £6.3million transfer from Real Madrid last January
    Yowch.
    People here have yet to see the true Fernando Morientes
    Show us Nando. Please :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Does anybody know anything about this kid?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0330/liverpool.html
    Argentine wonderkid Sergio Aguero has revealed his desire to join European Champions Liverpool in the summer.

The 17-year-old attacker is currently at Independiente but has attracted a host of European clubs, with Bayern Munich already signalling their interest in the player.

Aguero, who has been compared with Barclona's Lionel Messi said: "If I had to choose a league then it would be the Premier League.

"I have been a Liverpool fan for as long as I can remember and it would be a dream to play there. I watched the Champions League final and celebrated every goal as if it was for Independiente," he told German newspaper Munich TZ.

Aguero is under contract with Independiente but is expected to leave them for Europe in the summer with a price-tag of €15million being mentioned.

Bayern Munich chairman Karl-Heinz Rummennigge has already signalled his intention to make a bid for the player.

"Aguero has great ability and we need to make a move before the Spanish and Italian clubs join the race, otherwise he will be expensive," he said.

"He certainly would not be a snip but for a young player of his quality you sometimes have to be prepared to take a risk."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Bugger, typical, the next young prodigy wants to come to us and i very much doubt we can afford to shell out that kinda money on a 17 year old..unless we get a deal like Arsenal did for Walcott..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Messi said the two most skillful players he's seen are Ronaldinho and that guy. Bit of a wonderkind, great control, midget, scored some very good goals for Independiente judging by the compilations I've seen. Scored 9 in 18 this season from what I can make out from the bizarre setup the Argentinian league has. Definately a prospect, worth a look at to determine wheter he's a Messi or an Ortega.

i can see it now, he skips and dribbles past 4 midfielders then gets squashed by generic english defender #3

• Advertisement

heres a vid
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7533284602074478271&q=aguero

In fairness from this looks pretty class alright, fingers crossed!

59,895 views! :eek:

Mike.

Kirkland not coming back the season and I suspect ever.

Proberly wise (if it does'nt happen) has any other keeper been so injury prone?

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=16881984%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=no-way-back-for-jinxed-kirkland-name_page.html

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Hydromonkey

Here's another vid of Sergio Aguero scoring a couple against River Plate:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kxb8l0vzsPE

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

mike65 wrote:
    59,895 views! :eek:

Yea this is now the 6th most viewed thread in the history of Boards,which is some achievement.

• Advertisement

Anyone any idea how much this kid would actually cost in real terms up front? Would be great if pool could steal a march on the others since hes a pool fan..

Don't believe all this pool fan crap,he could easily be a life long Chelsea fan by this time next week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dub13 wrote:
    Don't believe all this pool fan crap,he could easily be a life long Chelsea fan by this time next week.

Why not? What does he gain by saying hes a liverpool fan?

Yeah, it does seem that its him mentioning liverpool, not the other way around. why would someone do this with Liverpool unless they meant it, its not like pool are flushed with cash!

First off always be wary of someone who invites a bid,its never a good sign.It could be a over active agent or a player who is to big for his boots.

I have lost count of the amount of big money moves to "my boyhood team",IMO its used as another way of engineering a move.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement