Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

el rabitos wrote:

is that the same ex chelsea player who didn't cut it at the bridge. tbh i didn't see a lot of him during his year there, but in that vid he looks tasty. certainly can see why he was signed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dub13 wrote:
    First off always be wary of someone who invites a bid,its never a good sign.It could be a over active agent or a player who is to big for his boots.

I have lost count of the amount of big money moves to "my boyhood team",IMO its used as another way of engineering a move.

Obviously wouldnt get my hopes up. But its still great to see him say that. Heitzfeld(sp) said he wanted to sign him before the italian and spainish got involved. So if he was just going it to engineer a move he would of probaly said how a spainish or Italian club was his ideal place to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

is that the same ex chelsea player who didn't cut it at the bridge. tbh i didn't see a lot of him during his year there, but in that vid he looks tasty. certainly can see why he was signed

all his goals are the ugly poacher type of goals liverpool need. i just think he's be lethal playing for pool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

wonder how much they'd look for? from the vid i'd agree with your assumption that he gets the poacher type of goals.

that young Sergio Aguero looks the business though. would need to see what he was like over the course of a season though. we could do a showreel of luis garcia and make him look amazing.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

el rabitos wrote:
    all his goals are the ugly poacher type of goals liverpool need. i just think he's be lethal playing for pool

is this sarcasm if so then you're good, if not you're a little bit mental he scores some absolute screamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i always liked kezman, he just neede an extended run in the team, its a big step up from dutch league to the premier league and he needed more time to settle and much more match time. another forlan if you ask me.

@futuredeath he is talking bout kezman...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

Call_me_al wrote:
    i always liked kezman, he just neede an extended run in the team, its a big step up from dutch league to the premier league and he needed more time to settle and much more match time. another forlan if you ask me.

@futuredeath he is talking bout kezman...

my bad, yea agree completely then i'm a huge kezman fan think he would be more or less perfect for liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

thought maybe the liverpool supporters might find this amusing

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/gossip_and_transfers/4863274.stm

"Djibril Cisse fears he will miss out on a place in the French World Cup squad after falling out of favour with Liverpool. (The Times)"

Does he not think he might miss out because hes total poop? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

saw that argentine kid on tv saying about a move to 'liverpool....or chelsea'
    he said liverpool first, but also mentioned them; i wouldn't read anything into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Does anybody know anything about this kid?

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0330/liverpool.html
    I was waiting for for that nugget to appear on here. :) He has been scouted by Liverpool for a while along with other Argentinian under age players. The asking price is $30M, two Spanish clubs have already had $20M+ bids rejected.

• Advertisement

I was waiting for for that nugget to appear on here. He has been scouted by Liverpool for a while along with other Argentinian under age players. The asking price is $30M, two Spanish clubs have already had $20M+ bids rejected.

screw that so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

p.pete wrote:
    AFAIK we applied for a work permit and that failed - we can only apply once per year so we have to wait before applying again.
    Soon he should have been in Spain five years or six years, whichever the requirement is to become a national. This doesn't mean we're home and dry though because as I understand it the paperwork required to push this through usually takes quite some time. So it's conceivable that we'd apply again for a work visa while waiting for the Spanish side of things to fall into place.

Hopefully he's definitely coming back, just a matter of when.
    As far I recall, the application was rejected last year because Chile were in 51st place in the fifa rankings and permits are mush easier to get for teams in the top 50. Chile have since moved up the list so I think the permit should be more straight forward this year, assuming he hasn't received a Spanish passport by then

FIFA need a good keep up the arse
    i don't think i'm out of line in saying that the above rule is a bit rediculous

mainly though i think they need to do something about the spirit in which the game is played

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Gonzales is definitely with us next season. He gets a spanish passport shortly and so will be able to join in the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

el rabitos wrote:
    screw that so.
    Young South American players always have ridiculously high values but move to European clubs for modest fees by comparison.
    Examples:
    Ronaldinho joined PSG for $14M.
    Cavenaghi left River Plate for $10M.
    Javier Chevaton joined Lecce for $9M.
    D'Allesandro joined Wolfsburg from River Plate for $9M. In 2000/2001 the asking price was $20M when Liverpool enquired about taking him on trial.
    Diego Forlan was valued at $20M by Independiente before Middlesbrough had an offer of $10M accepted. Man Utd ended up paying $12M for the player.
    Fred joined Lyon from Cruziero for $15M, when he had been valued previously at $25M.

Liverpool have scouted him several times and the reports have been positive. The reports that are leaking in to the UK press are because of Liverpool's interest in the player. Paco Herrera doesn't go to Argentina to watch a player unless Rafa Benitez is seriously interested in signing him.

Aguero has been quoted in the press as saying he wants to go to England, stating a preference for Liverpool or Chelsea. Coincidentally they are the only two English clubs that have shown an interest in him. Chelsea have made not so discrete enquiries for both Aguero ($17M) and Tevez ($20M). Both players have been warned off going to Chelsea at this stage of their careers by the likes of Veron and Crespo. If they are to heed the advice then Liverpool is the only option for Aguero so I wouldn't read too much in to his comments about being a Liverpool fan.

If Liverpool go for the player then they will have to match the Chelsea offer and then it is a matter of seeing how strong Independiente's resolve is to keep the player against his wishes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Yeh, but its a lot of money for Liverpool to be spending on a 17 year old attacker, who will have to adjust to the premiership awful quickly and probably won't begin to show his true worth until about 19 or 20 in this league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

All those price quotes are in dollars right? If so the sterling amount wouldn't be that high.
    It would be nice to get a few younger players involved similar to what arsenal and utd are doing now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 184 ✭✭smoke

Don't know if this lad is up to much but according to this he'll be training with Liverpool for a week.

"Rushden & Diamonds striker Lee Tomlin is to spend this week training with European champions Liverpool, his assistant manager Geoff Harrop has confirmed..."

http://www.football365.com/teams/liverpool/story_181663.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I hate to say it but something good did come from the Liverpool team:

Owls Open Carson Talks

Scott CarsonWednesday manager Paul Sturrock has opened discussions with Liverpool about extending the loan spell of England under-21 goalkeeper Scott Carson.

The 20-year-old has impressed in his four appearances for the Owls so far, turning in a match-winning performance in the club's 3-1 win at Wolves.

Sturrock is optimistic about the prospect of retaining Carson's services and said on Tuesday: "We've been in talks and will talk again today."

Has been playing well since he joined, first 2 games he played in hardly had a shot to save even thou first game we lost 1-0......last 2 games has shown he is a decent keeper.....hopefully gets to stay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

smoke wrote:
    Don't know if this lad is up to much but according to this he'll be training with Liverpool for a week.

"Rushden & Diamonds striker Lee Tomlin is to spend this week training with European champions Liverpool, his assistant manager Geoff Harrop has confirmed..."

http://www.football365.com/teams/liverpool/story_181663.shtml

I read a bit about him on www.redandwhitekop.com He came on as a sub in the last reserve game and played about 25min. He's supposed to be a big strong lad a bit like rooney i.e. doesn't look 17. Made his debut for R&D when he was 16 and has played a few games for their 1st team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

He said: "I have not dodged a challenge anywhere in my career. I have a lot to offer this club, although I know I haven't played to my full level as often as I would have liked. But my best is coming."

Pull the other one Morientes ......

http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0405/morientes.html

Hopefully he will go if for no other reason than not to have him as an option for Benitez for next season.

In terms of young players from South America, it may work out but it is a risk. But look at the likes of Messi. 30m usd is too much though, but 20m is better, although 15m would be better. A shot in the dark though, but as long asthe scouts have done their job and it is not a Harry Redknapp-like purchase.

redspider

tbh i dont think the premiership is the best place for brazilian/argintine wonderkids.

they just dont get the time on the ball that they need to showcase any skills that they have, i dont think messi would contribute much in alot of premiership games.

spain and italy are usually the best destinations for south americans, football theres is based more on technique and players are given more space and time on the ball. 15 or 20 million is too much of a risk on any south american imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well if you think of it, if pool were to buy him with bags of potenial at 17 for about 15mill sterling (which according to bannors stats would be the higher end of the market), then we could still probably recoup about 10 of that in 2 years if he doesn't suit the english game, simply based on his potential already shown in the south american style. Would still be well young enough to be considered a player with loads of potenial. Odds are he probably wont be a total flop after all.

Also this just in on another youth striker getting a trial. Rafa really is getting the best out of Paco's scouting these days, probably as he's reported to be going home a year earlier then originally planned to be with his family.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=377093&CPID=8&clid=&lid=2&title=Reds+trial+Ham-Kam+starlet
    Reds trial Ham-Kam starlet

Ham-Kam starlet Marcus Petersen says he will join Liverpool on trial in the summer.

The 15-year-old has made his name as a promising striker and is expected to travel to Anfield at the end of the season in order to impress Reds boss Rafa Benitez.

Boasting pace and a fierce shot, Petersen will be keen to make an impression at the club he supports, but the starlet says he is focused on breaking into the Ham-Kam team in the next 12 months.

"It took some days before I decided," Petersen told Dagbladet.

"I have been a Liverpool supporter since I was born, my dad is also one.

"It will surely be educative, my ambition is to turn professional, but I have got to wait a few years.

"Ham-Kam is very good with young players, they work hard with us and are not afraid to give us the chance."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It looks like Rafa is going to give Robbie Fowler every chance of getting a fresh contract for a season. The way he's talking suggests God only needs a small bit more effort/goals and he's in.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I think it's more to do with fitness levels than goals, really. He's always had a problem maintaining a high fitness level, lets hope he can this time.

Oh stop it!
    Allardyce eyes Fowler

Apr 10 2006

BOLTON manager Sam Allardyce is ready to make a bid for Robbie Fowler in the summer.

Fowler wants to remain at Liverpool in the long-term and scored the winner on his 31st birthday when the two clubs met on Sunday.

However his future remains uncertain and Allardyce would love to be able to afford to bring in the Anfield striker.

"You'd always think about a goalscorer like him, but it would depend on the big numbers," Allardyce told www.skysports.com

"If he keeps on scoring for Liverpool, they will want to keep him. One of their problems has been scoring, but their defence is the ultimate and it is what we are trying to achieve."

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Would've made far more sense if the story had popped up before the match as a "psych-out" of usual sorts...

....I doubt the money involved would be worth Fowler moving tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

NoelRock wrote:
    Would've made far more sense if the story had popped up before the match as a "psych-out" of usual sorts...

....I doubt the money involved would be worth Fowler moving tbh.

Fowler is not the Player he was, Too many years of teh high life and going through the motions on the football pitch have taken their toll .As much as he may wish to there is no way of turning the clock back. Unless he is willing to play on the cheap Rafa will move him on in the Summer.

Liverpool fans should remember him as he was in his prime the most natural goal scorer in the league and move on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

The Muppet wrote:
    Fowler is not the Player he was, Too many years of teh high life and going through the motions on the football pitch have taken their toll .As much as he may wish to there is no way of turning the clock back. Unless he is willing to play on the cheap Rafa will move him on in the Summer.

Liverpool fans should remember him as he was in his prime the most natural goal scorer in the league and move on.

Confused as to why you're quoting me, because I agree. I just can't see any other team offering much for him, is all. As surprised as I was to see him arrive at Liverpool, I'll be doubly surprised if anyone else in the League takes him on...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think a pay as you play option my be on the cards.

3 goals in 3 starts says it ain't past it yet, and he's practicaly free given his quite modest wage.

Mike.

Must say i agree with Mike. The Muppet you're right that he's not the player he was, but i dont think anyone is under the illusion that he is. As the facts stand, he is still a natural goalscorer who guarantees a reasonably decent goal return for at least another season (injury withstanding). I dont think pool will be relying on him as a guaranteed 1st team player, but all things considered (tiny wages, absolute dedication, boost provided to both team and fans) what an amazing player to have the option of playing or bringing off the bench! In fairness since he's come back he's got 3 in his last 3 games, not to mention finding the net 3 other times which were disallowed. Of those 1 should have stood, 1 was rightly offside and 1 being ruled out had nothing to do with him. In all cases good finishes which prove his worth.

i dont think theres any doubt at this stage which of the strikers will be sold, theres not much money to be made on selling morientes, crouch isnt going anywhere, fowler is cheap and wont be demanding first team football to stay.

cisse is the only viable option for getting in some funds, he doesnt fit into rafa's attacking style, he's got no brain in front of goal and has shown no ability to alter and improve his game. the only issue with his sale is finding some chairman stupid enough to spend about 7 or 8 million on him.

fowler has a role at the club, i dont see any reason not to offer him another year or so.

Some reckon Nando could be sold back to a La Liga side for decent money after the World Cup.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

You'd probaly get aobut 5mil for Nando.

You'd probaly get aobut 5mil for Nando.

from chelsea if they're entire strikeforce falls victim to bird flu maybe.

cant see pool getting much more than a couple of million for him from anywhere tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

el rabitos wrote:
    from chelsea if they're entire strikeforce falls victim to bird flu maybe.

cant see pool getting much more than a couple of million for him from anywhere tbh

Someone in Spain will pay the money. I guarentee he will do a Forlan when he goes back and bang goals in.

Just like to reiterate how much of a donkey Ciise is and any money got for him will be a bonus. He showed teh other day when teh ball fell to him after Gerrard went down in the box. He had 4 defenders in front of him and in the far side of the box, Fowler was stood there with his arms in the air calling for the ball. Ciise stuck his head down and tried to just smack the ball at the defenders in a vein hope it ricochets in somewhere, which seems to be his main source of goals.

have to agree, rafa will look at the stats and Fowler's goals to games ratio(11:3) is way higher than Nando's (52:10)i know its still early but even robbies general play looks better than mori at the moment, and Nando is no spring chicken himself.

also with rumours that cisse, FSP, ALT and Mellor could be gone keeping fowler on a pay as you play option would free up a lot of cash to bring in fresh blood and to keep that experience needed.

with crouch, fowler and two new strikers we wouldnt have a bad strike force.

• Advertisement

here's hoping the right pair are brought in

regardless of what mori does (or doesn't do) at his potential new club, i won't regret his departure. he had lots of opportunity to do something

i dont see morientes going anywhere, i think benitez likes him and i dont think morientes has any intention of leaving without "proving himself" as he puts it.

i think rafa likes his team to move around the pitch as one, attack and defend as a unit, i think in that regard morientes contibutes alot, he works hard, he's just lost it in front of goal.
    Just like to reiterate how much of a donkey Ciise is and any money got for him will be a bonus. He showed teh other day when teh ball fell to him after Gerrard went down in the box. He had 4 defenders in front of him and in the far side of the box, Fowler was stood there with his arms in the air calling for the ball. Ciise stuck his head down and tried to just smack the ball at the defenders in a vein hope it ricochets in somewhere, which seems to be his main source of goals.

agreed. i cant emphasize how useless i think he is, his price tag, the men that scouted him and the people responsible for signing him should take a long look at their carreer choice.

Either its the way Liverpool play, or the english style of play but whichever it is, it doesnt suit Nando and i dont see a future for him at liverpool. He's got to be on high wages so regardless of what pool get it would free plenty of cash. Also a decent world cup would raise his stock a good bit (he always plays great for Spain, even since he's come to liverpool)

Cisse will almost certainly leave as well, but i could maybe see him stay under the circumstances that he doesn't make the french squad for WC and nobody is willing to pay up around 7mill. Any chance we could convince Deadly Doug to swap him for Baros back?

Any chance we could convince Deadly Doug to swap him for Baros back?

hey screw that, after all my bitching and moaning and creating a sig to save baros, pool cant just backtrack and bring him back :D

i dont care how much cisse leaves for as long as its not below 5 million and its not a loan deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Cisse can go to Lyon - I'm sure GH knows best how to play him :)

I'd be amazed if Fowler doesn't stay - presuming he's on a small wage the benefits outweigh the negatives. Maybe not as good as he used to be but I'd keep him based on enthusiasm alone (at least until he catchs Roger Hunt!).

Nando, I've no idea whether he'll stay or go, or indeed whether he should stay or go. Part of me thinks he might eventually click and turn prolific - it's not like he's a half proven youngster (think Cissé) that we're gambling on coming good and maturing a bit - but sometimes the chemistry at a club just isn't right.

p.pete wrote:
    I'd be amazed if Fowler doesn't stay - presuming he's on a small wage the benefits outweigh the negatives.
    Think he's on 20-25k

seabee wrote:
    Think he's on 20-25k

where did you get that from? Parry said he is on a ridiculously small amount, i think he commented that he asked folwer if he was sure about signing considering their offer was so low.

and its not as if he needs the cash, he is on the top ten richest sportsmen in the world or something!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Call_me_al wrote:

and its not as if he needs the cash, he is on the top ten richest sportsmen in the world or something!!

Top 10 richest footballers in the UK...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

LIVERPOOL: RAFA IMPRESSED BY GONZALEZ FORM

Rafael Benitez watched Mark Gonzalez torment Real Madrid at the weekend and then reiterated his belief that the Chilean winger will be a hit at Anfield next season.
    /noticias.info/ Gonzalez scored his third goal of a productive loan spell at Real Sociedad as he helped his side to a creditable 1-1 draw in the Bernabeu.

Liverpool remain hopeful the 21 year old winger will receive a work permit to allow him to complete his switch to Merseyside next season after it was turned down in the summer.

Benitez said: "We are hopeful he will come in the summer because he can be an important player for us. He has pace, quality and can score, and he works very hard for the team - all qualities which will help him settle in quickly here.

"He works very hard for the whole 90 minutes for his teammates. He was the best player on the pitch for Sociedad against Real at the Bernabeu, and that's three goals he has scored now since he joined the club.

"I said at the time that I was surprised by the decision not to allow him to join us.

"When you see the level at which he is playing now, I think it shows we had a good case and what a good player he actually is.

"You have to remember he was injured for six months and so he is improving with every game he plays, recovering his fitness and raising his level.

"I think he can make an impact on the Premiership. He will be a good addition to the team and we are all looking forward to him finally joining us."
    http://www.noticias.info/asp/aspComunicados.asp?nid=165883&src=0

and...
    Liverpool, Everton rival Man Utd for Getafe's Riki
    tribalfootball.com - April 11, 2006

Getafe are battling to hang onto striker Riki in the face of interest from a string of Premiership heavyweights.

Manchester United, Liverpool and Everton are chasing the left-sided attacker, who has put off new contract talks until the end of this season.

United tried for Riki in January, but their £2.5 million offer was rejected by Getafe president Angel Torres. The youngster would prefer to remain in Spain, however only Real Betis have shown serious interest in signing him.

Torres insisted yesterday: "We want to build our squad, not dismantle it. Therefore, the only way our best players will leave is if clubs are prepared to pay their buyout clause."
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/april/spanishnews2110406.html

Also seen some wild rumours about 'Pool been interesting in Bellamy (he's a Reds fan apparently).

• Advertisement

Call_me_al wrote:
    where did you get that from? Parry said he is on a ridiculously small amount, i think he commented that he asked folwer if he was sure about signing considering their offer was so low.
    It was a big drop compared to the wages he was on with city. I read the figure on another website at the time but I can't find the source now. However leeds are reportedly paying a huge chunk of that due to an agreement that was made when he left leeds to join city and which continues until next year afaik.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement