Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

if its true Kuyt is coming yipee!

as for figo im not so sure he seems past it and could be a really unsettling influence in the dressing room.

but only time will tell 1 if we actualy got them and 2 how it pans out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Kuyt and Reina were both in Liverpool at the weekend.

RE: Duff leaving Chelsea. I can't see it happening unless Chelsea have secured Joaquin.

Duff was on Benitez's wish list many months ago but I doubt the club will make a move for him unless there has been movement on Duff's part, i.e. he asks for a transfer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

if Duff wants to leave he will want United to come in for him this time. its common knowledge thats why he took so long to sign for Chelsea - he was waiting for United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i was under the impression he is a liverpool fan not a united fan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

mayordenis wrote:
    PHB really will you stop posting anything about liverpool every single thing you write about them is the same bias tripe.
    Really you're just wreckin my head.
    Liverpool can compete they didnt last year because they were playing a new system not unlike Ferigies early years when they could of been relegated and if winning the CL in your 1st season isnt a decent sign of things to come then i just dont know what is.

Fully agree. For a ManU fan he sure spends a lot of time on this thread :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

http://www.sportnetwork.net/main/s342/st75882.htm?fromrss=1
    Reports out of Italy are today claiming that Juventus’ real transfer target this summer is Steven Gerrard of Liverpool with director general Luciano Moggi stating:

"I think that Juventus are more willing to make a play for a midfielder rather than Cassano, as this is the area we most need to strengthen."

"If Vieira was on the market then we’d already have made a bid. He’s undoubtedly a champion, but Arsenal doesn’t want to release him."

But all the rumours in Italy are that the real objective is to get Gerrard, actually persuading him to come might be a different matter. But Juventus have a habit of getting what they want.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

TheMonster wrote:
    if Duff wants to leave he will want United to come in for him this time. its common knowledge thats why he took so long to sign for Chelsea - he was waiting for United.
    Might be tough now after him and Ronaldo had a bit of a war in Lansdowne. :)

I can't see Duff going. Mourinho rates him better than Robben imo and Robben wasn't in Jose's good books at the end of the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

woodyg wrote:
    if its true Kuyt is coming yipee!

as for figo im not so sure he seems past it and could be a really unsettling influence in the dressing room.

but only time will tell 1 if we actualy got them and 2 how it pans out

Can't see Rafa going for Figo to be honest. Newcastle is more likely, and apparently West Ham are after him too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

id like figo, he could be the new Gary Mac ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

id like figo, he could be the new Gary Mac

more likely to be the next donald trump with the stupid amount of money he's after

Dutch station SBS-6 have apparantly said Kuyt has signed for Pool. I got this second hand so still waiting to find proof!

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

yea mike, it was posted in the previous page.

Dont know anything about either reina or kuyt, but all been good reports. We need them too. Dudek is poor ad we needed a new keeper. Would of liked to of seen Andy johnson, but not for the price bannor was saying was needed.

Figo, not sure. Very talented. But dont like his diving. Still if hes free and wont rape us on the wage front, why not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 229 ✭✭susanna

Video of some Kuyt goals here for anyone who is interested
    http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1GCX2DYGFV9OO15UJR428MOGZY

A few good goals in there but also some woeful defending. And very dodgy music!

yea mike, it was posted in the previous page.

Oops spotted it, this threads too fast moving! :D

Mike.

susanna wrote:
    Can't see Rafa going for Figo to be honest. Newcastle is more likely, and apparently West Ham are after him too :rolleyes:
    Figo has had a contract offer from Liverpool for the past six months, all that remains is to see if Perez will release him from his contract with Real Madrid on Friday as he has promised to do. He has two other offers but Liverpool's is supposedly the only one he is considering.

TheMonster wrote:
    Not entirely true - Man Utd never made an approach for the player. He had verbally accepted a contract offer from Liverpool but they refused to meet Blackburn's asking price so his only option was Chelsea. He was stalling on the transfer in the hope that Liverpool would up their offer for him or another club would come in for him - his own fault for signing a contract with such a high release fee clause. The media spun the Man Utd story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

So are Kuyt & Reina done deals then or what cos I still haven't heard/read anything yet about them except for this thread.

Also are we still in for Zenden? (I think he would be a great addition) cos I read on SSN that a decision on his future is due within the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Bannor wrote:
    Figo has had a contract offer from Liverpool for the past six months, all that remains is to see if Perez will release him from his contract with Real Madrid on Friday as he has promised to do.

From what I read in Liverpool-related articles, his salary demands are far too high, somewere around the 90k ukp a week level (above Gerrard). Liverpool seemingly are willing to pay quite a lot for his services though, somewhere around the 40k a week level. I dont think he would do well for Liverpool, as a winger in the English league needs to have a lot of pace, and thats one department where Figo is lacking as he gets older. I wouldnt pay the 40k a week level (2m per annum) for his services. He can get more money in Japan and Qatar. Perez will let him go as he is costing too much at Real.

Other news. Lyon have signed Carew for 7.7m eur. This may have a bearing on Baros who was potentially being sought by Houllier at Lyon, although I had always thought that Baros and Houllier didnt see 100% eye to eye, as Houllier, although he signed him, left him out a lot even when Baros demonstrated exceptional performances internationally. Carew ironically is an ideal front partner for Baros, as he has height and could be a great ball winner and provider for Baros. But signing two strikers would be very ambitious for Lyon, unless they have a wad in the bag coming for Essien. You can see how the dominoes go around in circles and whoever Chelsea or Real buy (eg: Essien) can have an effect on who Liverpool sell (Baros) and then buy (Kuyt).

Stelios looks like he will go to Liverpool as he has a low get-out clause at Bolton for eur 1.7m (probably 1m ukp). I would be surprised if there arent any other clubs looking at him as he has premiership credentials (ie: he can perform ok in it) and is a battling midfielder. I havent heard any rumors on his salary but for a punt of 1.7m he would be a useful addition to the squad of 23.

No word on Kewell being sold so far. I guess there are no takers. Benitez may keep him as a sub perhaps. And of course he is no doubt injured so potentially unsellable.

The transfer window I understand officially opens on July 1st. Players such as Zenden who are on frees will be able to move around then and the market should get more lively as we approach that date.

Liverpool may be looking at strikers such as Evra and Gouvou:

"The agent of France defender Patrice Evra says Liverpool made a bid for his client recently but his club Monaco were not prepared to do a deal as they were only interested in hard cash."

"Rafael Benitez is contemplating a move for Lyon forward Sidney Govou as he seeks to bolster his striking options. The Liverpool manager has grown frustrated at the lack of progress in his attempts to lure attacking targets to Anfield. Feyenoord's Dirk Kuyt remains the priority, and although the player is keen on a transfer the Dutch club would have to lower their £10million asking price before Liverpool consider making a move. Peter Crouch is the preferred alternative, but the £6m valuation of the England international by Southampton has proven prohibitive. It has meant Benitez has started to look elsewhere, with Lyon striker Govou attracting his interest. The 25-year-old has been told he will be allowed to leave the French club after helping guide them to a fourth successive title last season, scoring eight goals in 36 league games. "

The latter move for Gouvou would be a bit if a surprise especially if Lyon were sincerely interested in Baros.

It is also reported in The Times that Reina may only cost 6m. He is 22 years old seemingly compared with Dudek's 32. Btw, Kirkland cost 6m in 2001! I agree totally that the GK position is crucial, but it is a difficult position to fill as goalies can at times lose their confidence. 8m is a lot on an up and coming 22 yr old goalie. Its a bit of a gamble, and gambling in the goalie position rarely comes off, as Ferguson, Houllier and Wenger have found out.

Redspider

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

redspider:

what in gods name are we doing going in for crouch?!? hes a complete stocking so he is!

and whats that feynoord strinker like? i thought benitez would be only looking and spain?!

id agree with VinnyL going for Crouch aint a good idea at all.
    The money Southampton are looking for is crazy and would be better spent else where i.e. Kuyt and Milito

Crouch is ordinary and would strugle especialy when he wouldnt be starting every game

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Cyrus wrote:
    id like figo, he could be the new Gary Mac ;)

He cant be, Stelios is the new Gary Mac. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

VinnyL wrote:
    redspider: what in gods name are we doing going in for crouch?!? hes a complete stocking so he is! and whats that feynoord strinker like? i thought benitez would be only looking and spain?!

Bannor posted on the Crouch "interest" in an earlier post on this thread. Lets just say that the interest in Crouch is couched! I agree with the stocking remark.

Kuyt (also spelled Kuijt, ij = y) is more skilled and is an up and coming Dutch striker at Feyenoord, although he is 25. He is good but the question is how good will he be, and is he better than Baros? Some would think that he isnt better than Baros and is older so it doesnt make sense to sell Baros for 7m and pay 10m or Kuyt, unless Baros is very unsettled and has a rift with Benitez, but he doesnt, he's only partially unsettled. Here is some info on him:

NAME: Dirk Kuyt
    DATE OF BIRTH: 1980-07-22
    POSITION: Forward
    NATIONALITY: Dutch

2004/05 Feyenoord 34 29
    2003/04 Feyenoord 34 20
    2002/03 FC Utrecht 34 20
    2001/02 FC Utrecht 34 7
    2000/01 FC Utrecht 32 13
    1999/00 FC Utrecht 32 6
    1998/99 FC Utrecht 28 5

So, he's got 69 goals in the last 3 seasons which is very good. I havent seen enough of him to judge him. Benitez must have to be looking at him.

Redspider

woodyg wrote:
    id agree with VinnyL going for Crouch aint a good idea at all.
    The money Southampton are looking for is crazy and would be better spent else where i.e. Kuyt and Milito

Crouch is ordinary and would strugle especialy when he wouldnt be starting every game

1. How much do you know about Milito?

2. How much do you know about Kuyt bar how many goals he scored last season, like, his all round game?

3. Crouch would be a good impact sub.

Scenario: 15 minutes left in games against mid division teams that have struggled against sice 1990. Crouch comes on to play up front with Djib. Without any transfers these two guys will be playing in front of LK-XA-SG-LG. Getting down the wings and getting the ball in to crouch or through the middle to utilise Djibs pace. Rafa has stated that he needs to bolster the squad, crouch would be nothing more.

• Advertisement

impact sub?!?!? look at the season he had for villa! he's not any standard he's abs useless.

we DONT need a player like crouch, he's a step back, he's been passed around the premiership already too many times, let him finish his career with southampton!

we need a quality proven striker, none of your "might be's" or "can be's" we're trying to build on a season where we won the champions league!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Crouch would be a good impact sub.

Scenario: 15 minutes left in games against mid division teams that have struggled against sice 1990. Crouch comes on to play up front with Djib. Without any transfers these two guys will be playing in front of LK-XA-SG-LG. Getting down the wings and getting the ball in to crouch or through the middle to utilise Djibs pace. Rafa has stated that he needs to bolster the squad, crouch would be nothing more.

I made that argument before, but it was rightly pointed out that 7million for a sub is just too much. if he was going for 1 or 2 million (as he should be - and did last year) it would be good business, but 7million is insane. how much would Jan Koller - the original beanpole- be?

VinnyL wrote:
    impact sub?!?!? look at the season he had for villa! he's not any standard he's abs useless.

He had a bad season with Villa, he had a good season with the saints in a piss poor side and warranted his first international cap. He has scored 58 goals in 182 games, or 1 in 3, when 33 of those appearances were as a substitute. Milan Baros has made 167 appearances scoring 39 times, 40 as a substitute. Favourable, and indisputable stats.
    we DONT need a player like crouch, he's a step back, he's been passed around the premiership already too many times, let him finish his career with southampton!

Rafa seems to think we do, Crouch and Kuyt are similar in their style of play. I think i will trust rafa rather than your goodself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Morientes is better in the air than Crouch, and he provides the option of the long ball up front better than Crouch does.

nothing to see here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Reina is at Melwood today, training with LFC and will be our number 1 immediately. We are not allowed to reveal him as an LFC player until 1st July due to UEFA regulations.

seabee wrote:
    Reina is at Melwood today, training with LFC and will be our number 1 immediately. We are not allowed to reveal him as an LFC player until 1st July due to UEFA regulations.
    What UEFA regulations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

Shamrok wrote:
    What UEFA regulations?

I suppose it must be in regards to the transfer window officially opening on that date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I do definately rate Crouch as a player, just not in the 7 million bracket, and if he was only 1 or 2, i feel he could have a place in the liverpool team but at 7 million, not a chance given that they may as well just buy Gary Doherty for what they'd be using him for, a big lad to hammer balls up to in the last 15minutes. hes not really good enough to displace morientes or cisse consistently (barring them having a collapse) and thats what you'd expect for 7million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Shred wrote:
    I suppose it must be in regards to the transfer window officially opening on that date

Correct!

He had a bad season with Villa, he had a good season with the saints in a piss poor side and warranted his first international cap. He has scored 58 goals in 182 games, or 1 in 3, when 33 of those appearances were as a substitute. Milan Baros has made 167 appearances scoring 39 times, 40 as a substitute. Favourable, and indisputable stats.

Rafa seems to think we do, Crouch and Kuyt are similar in their style of play. I think i will trust rafa rather than your goodself.

crouch will be a bad buy, even the great managers make poor buys(fergie - kleberson, mouriunho - kezman, wenger - jeffers). crouch would be the worst ever buy for liverpool fc (yes even worse than heskey) and although he might score 10 goals in a season for liverpool, with the kind of midfield service i'm hoping next year a better player could make that 25 goals!

Oops, did not realise the transfer window had not officially opened yet. I thought it had when ManU signed Park last week, Carew to Lyon etc.

Wood from the trees, sheesh.

Our SQUAD needs boosting. Crouch would be a decent addition to the squad. So too would Stelios. Crouch is now an international, whether you rate him or not and english internationals are notoriously over valued.
    crouch will be a bad buy, even the great managers make poor buys(fergie - kleberson, mouriunho - kezman, wenger - jeffers).

This is judge and jury stuff mate. How can you possibly condemn Crouch before he even kicks a ball in red, and thats if he does.
    with the kind of midfield service i'm hoping next year a better player could make that 25 goals

Baros could be staying, if he does then we have MB, DC & FSP who can make the most of balls played through from midfield. Crouch would offer something that we, dont, at the moment, have in our squad. Moro is excellent in the air, but he is a very different style player to Crouch. No point in having 4 or 5 striker that all play similar football.

:mad:

i dont rate crouch for the money being talked about(7mill) for a player to sit on the bench.

No No No.

bad business the money will be better spent on a player who is going into the team not a squad member who has made 1 international appearance (in a game tat didnt matter) and probably will make no more.

a good quality left back left midfielder could be got for that money.

we have 3 decent front men(4 when pongolle returns)
    so the need to spend 7million on a player who reminds me of a poor Niall Quinn is just not logical

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Is there any point in debating whether Crouch would be any good cos I thought Rafa had given up on him because of rediculously overpriced figure the Saints are looking for.

For £1-2m maybe, seen as he would only be a squad player but he is not worth any more than that. Rafa seems to thinking along those lines and that is why he isn't chasing him any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I don't rate crouch but you never know....i didn't rate forlan at utd but proved me wrong in la liga this season....

suppose you never know until it happens......

There were rumours of Aimar coming to liverpool, I don't think it would be a good move for Liverpool, he'd get kicked to pieces.....suppose you never know until it happens......

I think we should make a bid for Zenden, he's gonna be on the bosman and I think he'd be a good signing!!

midget lord:

when you've made all the poor signings that liverpool have made in the past 5 years, you have to be careful who you buy.

crouch is not a squad player. he is a division 1 player. there is a difference.

and england international? dont make me laugh! who isnt thats had a month of good form!

benitez needs to buy a PROVEN striker, up front is the only place we dont need a squad player but a proven goalscorer. thats why stelios will be a good addition to the squad!

VinnyL wrote:
    benitez needs to buy a PROVEN striker, up front is the only place we dont need a squad player but a proven goalscorer.

Are you telling benitez what he needs? See, he doesnt agree with you:
    RAFAEL BENITEZ insists he will only bring players to Anfield who will add quality and passion to his squad.

The Liverpool manager has endured a frustrating time in the transfer market so far as he attempts to build on his side's dramatic success in the Champions League.

The cup winners failed to qualify for next year's competition on their league placing alone after they finished fifth in the Premiership, with Benitez pinpointing a much improved league showing as one of the key targets for next season.

Although Benitez has transfer targets in mind, he refuses to be forced into paying over the odds for players.

He is stepping up his efforts to bring in Feynoord striker Dirk Kuyt, but does not want to pay beyond £8million for the 24-year-old rather than the Dutch club's £10m valuation while his interest in Peter Crouch is on the wane after Southampton said he would cost £7m.

However Benitez won't abandon his cautious approach to bring in the right players.

"I want to go to the market thinking about players with passion, as well as ability, then I know that we will do better things in the future," he said. "My plan is to improve the reserve team for next season and to have some more players ready for the first team.

"As a big club you need to increase your level to look for the best players in the world and we are trying to find some players for different positions. But the most important thing is to find skilful players and play-ers with character.

"If we want to increase our level away from home we need that type of player to suit our style of play.

"You need players like Jamie Carragher, for example, with passion. We are trying to find, if possible, both."

I already posted this link, a report from the echo on 17/06/05.

The quote i want to emphasize is:
    "I want to go to the market thinking about players with passion, as well as ability, then I know that we will do better things in the future," he said. "My plan is to improve the reserve team for next season and to have some more players ready for the first team.

I think Rafa knows what Rafa wants best.

yom 1 wrote:
    So are Kuyt & Reina done deals then or what cos I still haven't heard/read anything yet about them except for this thread.

Also are we still in for Zenden? (I think he would be a great addition) cos I read on SSN that a decision on his future is due within the next few days.
    Feyenoord are still haggling over the fee for Kuyt.

Expect news on Zenden and Figo to officially be announced on Friday if the deals are happening. :)

midget: no need to be smart, course i'm not telling rafa what he needs!

crouch wont add either to the team. i dont know how you can justify him as a good signing. you think crouch is gonna sit in the reserves? he's 23, at the peak of his "form", hel'll want first team football, which he wont get at livepool. you only have to look at the players we have to realise that he wont get a look in.

We have 3 quality strikers at the moment -

Baros, Cisse and morientes. All that they seem to be lacking is a bit of form. it will come this season if they get a good pre season under their belts.

benitez is a smart man - i just get really worried when i see him trying to sign players like crouch ala Houllier. crouch looks like another heskey to me.

i get frustrated even thinking about crouch wearing his custom made XXXXXXL liverpool jersey! watching him next season would be horrible!

Bannor wrote:
    Feyenoord are still haggling over the fee for Kuyt.

Expect news on Zenden and Figo to officially be announced on Friday if the deals are happening. :)

I have just read something to that effect, done deals apparantly. Handy not to have dipped into the transfer kitty and have signed these two.

VinnyL wrote:

Not being smart, just reading your post:
    benitez needs to buy a PROVEN striker, up front is the only place we dont need a squad player but a proven goalscorer.

figo will cost a bomb on wages though...

saw zenden playing last year, quality player, how much does rafa have to spend in total?

redspider wrote:
    From what I read in Liverpool-related articles, his salary demands are far too high, somewere around the 90k ukp a week level (above Gerrard). Liverpool seemingly are willing to pay quite a lot for his services though, somewhere around the 40k a week level. I dont think he would do well for Liverpool, as a winger in the English league needs to have a lot of pace, and thats one department where Figo is lacking as he gets older. I wouldnt pay the 40k a week level (2m per annum) for his services. He can get more money in Japan and Qatar. Perez will let him go as he is costing too much at Real.
    Liverpool's offer to Figo is around £50k a week, less than half of what he's on at Real Madrid. If he wants money he would have chosen to go to Qatar or sit on his arse at Madrid, but he hasn't - he says he wants to play first team football in a competitive league and he wants to be available for selection for Portugal in the World Cup Finals next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

VinnyL wrote:

crouch wont add either to the team. i dont know how you can justify him as a good signing. you think crouch is gonna sit in the reserves? he's 23, at the peak of his "form", hel'll want first team football, which he wont get at livepool. you only have to look at the players we have to realise that he wont get a look in.

We have 3 quality strikers at the moment -

Baros, Cisse and morientes. All that they seem to be lacking is a bit of form. it will come this season if they get a good pre season under their belts.

benitez is a smart man - i just get really worried when i see him trying to sign players like crouch ala Houllier. crouch looks like another heskey to me.

i get frustrated even thinking about crouch wearing his custom made XXXXXXL liverpool jersey! watching him next season would be horrible!

Milan Baros scored 9 in 26 games(0.35) 3 in 1 game.
    Crouch got 12 in 27 games

and Southampton got relegated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement