Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Duff - at the moment it's looking like he's going to Newcastle.

RVN - not a chance. Kuyt is younger and quicker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Newcastle?

ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Bannor wrote:
    It looks like Kuyt will play in a 3 man attack at the World Cup and if all goes well his value will rocket. Be best to buy him in the next couple of weeks before it all starts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ya fingers crossed pool can get him tied to a deal in the next 2 or 3 weeks before the WC. Then we can sit back relax and hopefully watch him shine. Incidentally i've been looking at their squad, who would be the 3 preferred up front?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Bannor wrote:
    Duff - at the moment it's looking like he's going to Newcastle.

Duff to Newcastle has been speculated for a long time. Its an interesting rumour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

SWP is coming to Anfield, there's too much 'chatter' in the air for mere idle gossip and speculation. It won't be for 14 million quid mind you. Expect £10-11 mill and the announcement shortly after July 1. Not sure Pool actually need him though. Still he'd be handy cover for Gerrard! ;)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    SWP is coming to Anfield, there's too much 'chatter' in the air for mere idle gossip and speculation. It won't be for 14 million quid mind you. Expect £10-11 mill and the announcement shortly after July 1. Not sure Pool actually need him though. Still he'd be handy cover for Gerrard! ;)

Mike.

Agree. I've heard the deal is done. Its becoming like the fowler rumours jsut before xmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

where the hell are people getting all this swp stuff from?

1) peter kenyon has been harping on about trying to make chelsea a profitable club sometime this century, buy for 21 million, sell for 11 sence make does not.

2) liverpool need a small guy who gets ass bumped off the ball and gives no end product?

3) there are better right wingers around europe

4) chelsea hate liverpool

5) if chelsea are the champions, and liverpool are 3rd best, how can a player not good enough for the champions be good enough to help make liverpool champions.

maybe swp looked good at man city, he was a whale in a tear drop, at chelsea he's just a big fish, in the worlds biggest, artificial, most expencive, man made russian pond

I'm not saying I approve just that its happening (egg on face time beckons!).

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

I do approve of the SWP deal. If of course there is going to be a deal. If he arrives he will have a LOT to prove to Mourinho and Benitez will definitely use that to his advantage.

And the reason why he looked good at Man City was really simple. It's because he was really good. He was amazing at Man City and his form made Mourinho spend 21 million quid on him..

I use Scott Parker as an example. Brilliant at Charlton. Couldn't get a game for Chelsea for some reason. Went to Newcastle. Excelled beyond words when playing. Made Mourinho like like a pleb as he played the under-performing over-rated Essien for most of the season. And brought in maniche who hardly set the world alight with his markedly average displays.

Rafa knows what he's doing. If he feels SWP will give us more options than we already have and we get him for Rafa's evaluation then I will be happy. If there is one thing we have learned abot Rafa is that he definitely wont pay over his evaluation of players..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i dont think just because people think there is lots of chatter about SWP that there must be some deal on the table.

chelsea bought him so others couldn't have him. there not going to make a £10 million loss on a player, to a club who will be there main rivals next season. thats, imo, bad business. roman's not loaded for practising bad business.

i would like to see SWP @ liverpool, but if the interview i seen with him, about 3 weeks ago, is anything to go by then he'll be a chelsea player next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

just like cisse insists he will be a liverpool player next season?

well all we can do is wait and see coz lets face it, nobody on here really knows.

the only person i believe is Rafael Benitez. i don't believe rumours, because people think, a lot of people are talking about it so it must be true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

I woulr prefer DDuff from chelski my self.

el rabitos wrote:
    where the hell are people getting all this swp stuff from?

1) peter kenyon has been harping on about trying to make chelsea a profitable club sometime this century, buy for 21 million, sell for 11 sence make does not.

2) liverpool need a small guy who gets ass bumped off the ball and gives no end product?

3) there are better right wingers around europe

4) chelsea hate liverpool

5) if chelsea are the champions, and liverpool are 3rd best, how can a player not good enough for the champions be good enough to help make liverpool champions.

maybe swp looked good at man city, he was a whale in a tear drop, at chelsea he's just a big fish, in the worlds biggest, artificial, most expencive, man made russian pond

Are these really, really your arguments against SWP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

El Rabitos: Points 1 and 4 are good alright. Chelsea do hate Liverpool and it would be bad business to sell a quality player to a rival for a 11 million loss. I think for those reasons alone it's very unlikely that Liverpool will be able to sign SWPs unless he puts in a transfer request.
    Your other points are a bit redundant though. Yes there are other better wingers out there but that doesn't mean they're available to buy. Also, SWP is still very young and talented and he's experienced in the Premiership. He could really bloom at Liverpool. It's been said already that Chelsea only bought him to keep him away from other clubs. The example of Scott Parker was given a few posts back too.

Anyone know what the story is with Cisse coming out saying he's staying put. Is this just a last ditch attempt to stay or is Benitez really considering keeping him?

SWP belives his season at Stamford Bridge cost him his place in the World Cup thats what all this is based on. Ciise out SWP in has some logic to it given where Ciise has played most of his football.

Cisse does seem insistent does'nt he?
    "My future is already settled," said Cisse. "I still have three years remaining on my contract at Liverpool and my future, before anything, I imagine it will be here.

"Liverpool didn't want to let me leave for Marseille last winter and people have to understand it, Tottenham also showed interest too and Liverpool refused once again.

Mike.

did Cisse make the French Squad? have many of the team?

I know Kromkramp, reina, xabi, crouch, carragher have been called up but who am i missing?

Garcia, Carson, Kewell.

• Advertisement

Another Xabi from Sociedad:
    Real Sociedad's Prieto flattered by Liverpool interest

tribalfootball.com - May 10, 2006

Real Sociedad midfielder Xabi Prieto has admitted he's flattered by the interest of Liverpool.

Prieto has been a long-term target for Reds boss Rafa Benitez, who made enquiries about the youngster during negotiations over Mark Gonzalez's move to San Sebastian in January.

Prieto said: "It is rewarding that a club like Liverpool follows you. It means that I'm doing things well. I have not thought about England, I am happy in Donosti, my city, where I have my friends, my fiancée.

"It would be complicated to leave here, although you never know ..."
    Anyone know what kind of midfielder he is?

The French announce the squad on Sunday so he'll be hoping for a hat trick in the Cup!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Call_me_al wrote:
    did Cisse make the French Squad? have many of the team?

I know Kromkramp, reina, xabi, crouch, carragher have been called up but who am i missing?

A little known player called Steven Gerrard also got the call... I hear he's quite good :)!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Is Carson not on the "stand by" panel...?

100 pages of rumour and gossip! Yay! :)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

We're about 40 posts away from breaking into the top ten most posts too...

• Advertisement

NoelRock wrote:
    A little known player called Steven Gerrard also got the call... I hear he's quite good :)!

ah come on he wont play much lol!!

cant believe i forgot him and luis g.

lets hope cisse makes the WC and hes price rockets, and GH signs him for 25m!!

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

i have it on 149 how do i change post per page:?

in the user control panel you can select the number of posts per page

go to edit options and scroll down to 'Number of Posts to Show Per Page'

Mike.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

GH would sign him for that in anyway!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

SofaKing wrote:
    Another Xabi from Sociedad: Anyone know what kind of midfielder he is?
    A goal-scoring right sided one, himself and Mark Gonzalez have terrorised full backs all season, Gonzalez getting around 4-5 goals(all crackers) since he joined up. Xabi Prieto has around 10 so far. He's good, if we can get him for under 6million.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Gonzalez
    Good to hear that Gonzalez has done well in Spain this year. What I find strange is that if he has an EU work permit in Spain, why cant he then work in England at Liverpool?!? Maybe its not an EU permit ....

Given that African players are playing in England, surely there should be no problem with Chilean players as well. The top-80 Fifa ranking rule seems to bias against some nationalities. I think non-EU players should be limited in the English league to X amount per club. Maybe 5 per club, I dont know the optimum figure so it could be adjusted year to year.

Tevez
    I didnt realise he was sought by Chelsea/Inter. He is not that good to warrant big money going on him. The 80m get-out clause at Corinthians is a joke.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

redspider wrote:
    Gonzalez
    Good to hear that Gonzalez has done well in Spain this year. What I find strange is that if he has an EU work permit in Spain, why cant he then work in England at Liverpool?!? Maybe its not an EU permit ....

Given that African players are playing in England, surely there should be no problem with Chilean players as well.

Many of the africans you are referring to have French passports (I think this goes back to colonial times). Some were were born in African counteries e.g. Kolo Toure and some were born in France but chose to play for their parents home country e.g. Momo Sissoko.
    The work permit rules are not as strict in Spain so that's why you see a good few players from South America playing there. There is a similar situation in Holland. I think Chelsea bought some Brazilian player and loaned him out to PSV for a few years until he gets his Dutch passport. When he has this they can bring him to england regardless of international caps.

redspider wrote:
    Gonzalez
    Its a Spanish work permit. The rules aren't so stringent as for the English work permit, i guess.

Gonzales could have got a UK permit but for the fact Chile had'nt been in the FIFA Top 70 for and if they had it would have needed to be for 2 years! Silly rules.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

I know you lot like links, so here you go:

Fabio Aurelio jugará las próximas cuatro temporadas en el Liverpool

El jugador del Valencia ya tiene claro su futuro: el Liverpool de Rafa Benítez. El brasileño era uno de los hombres más cotizados del conjunto valencianista y eran varios los equipos que querían hacerse con sus servicios, entre ellos el Real Madrid, el Villarreal y el Manchester United.

El expreso interés de Rafa Benítez por hacerse con el jugador valencianista ha primado más que cualquier otra oferta que pudiera recibir Fabio Aurelio, que ha preferido volver a estar bajo las órdenes del técnico español en Liverpool, con el que coincidió en Valencia durante tres temporadas. El jugador llega libre y ya ha empezado su formación para adaptarse a la Premier. De hecho ya lleva dos semanas dando clases de inglés.

Fabio Aurelio will play next the four seasons in the Liverpool

The player of the Valencia already knows clearly his future: the Liverpool de Rafa Benítez. The Brazilian was one of the quoted men more of the valencianista set and were several the equipment that they wanted to take control of his services, among them Real Madrid, the Villarreal and the Manchester United. Express interest of Rafa Benítez to do with player valencianista has primate more than any other supply which it could receive Fabio Aurelio, whom it has preferred to return to be under the orders of the Spanish technician in Liverpool, with that agreed in Valencia during three seasons. The player arrives frees and already its formation has begun to adapt to the Premier. In fact already it takes to two weeks giving classes of English.

linkage

More news .from Koptalk ;)
    Winger adamant he wants Liverpool move

Winger Mark Gonzalez says he has no intention of moving to another Spanish club.

Having impressed during a loan spell with Real Sociedad, numerous Spanish clubs have been trying to tempt him from his planned future at Anfield but he says they'd be wasting their time because he wants to play for Liverpool.

Gonzalez said: "I am very thankful to Real Sociedad and their coach Jose Mari Bakero, but while they'd like me to stay I'm going to England to join Liverpool.

"I'm waiting until June 30 when I'll receive my papers authorising me to play and work in England. Obviously, the next step in my career is to play for Liverpool.

"I have been in touch with Rafa Benitez and Paco Herrera. They have been always up to date with my personal and professional situation."

...and...
    Liverpool and Spurs chase defender

Newspaper reports today claim that Liverpool along with Spurs, are "chasing" Southampton starlet Gareth Bale.

The 16-year-old left-back became the second youngest player after Theo Walcott to make the Southampton first team.

He's already been selected for the England Under 21's and if you believe the reports, which we do as he has been scouted by us several times, Rafa would like to see him snapped up.

I'm pretty excited to see what Gonzales is capable of come August. Is there any news yet on whom Liverpool are playing in pre-season ?

And congrats to Reina! From Reuters:
    Liverpool's Reina wins Premier League golden gloves award

Wed May 10, 2006 6:55 PM BST

LONDON, May 10 (Reuters) - Liverpool's Spanish goalkeeper Pepe Reina has won the Premier League's Golden Gloves Award after keeping 20 clean sheets this season.

Reina's performances put him ahead of Manchester United's Dutch keeper Edwin Van der Sar (18) and last year's winner Czech Petr Cech of champions Chelsea (17).

American Brad Friedel of Blackburn Rovers and German Jens Lehman of Arsenal (both 16) completed the top five.

The 23-year-old Reina, who joined Liverpool last July from Villarreal for six million pounds ($11.19 million), made 33 league appearances after replacing Jerzy Dudek as first choice.

Reina helped Liverpool reach the Champions League first knockout round, where they were eliminated by Benfica, and the FA Cup final, which they play against West Ham United on Saturday.

They also finished third in the Premier League with 82 points to secure a Champions League qualifying place.

"He (Reina) has used this season as a springboard on to the international scene and has seen off the challenge of some world class players to keep the most clean sheets," said Matt Appleby of Barclays, whose company makes the award.

Reina began his career with Barcelona and made his debut for the Catalan side aged 18. He was on the losing side against Liverpool in the 2001 UEFA Cup semi-final.

redspider wrote:
    Tevez
    I didnt realise he was sought by Chelsea/Inter. He is not that good to warrant big money going on him. The 80m get-out clause at Corinthians is a joke.

redspider

in spain and italy they all have ridiculous release clauses, so thats not that much of a surprse, and he has been the South American player of the year; three years running, so i would say he is that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

SofaKing wrote:
    Is there any news yet on whom Liverpool are playing in pre-season ?
    Only that we won't be going on any mad pre-season tours to far-flung places. This is on account of an already long season combined with the World Cup.

Pre-season camp should be on the Swiss/German borders again and usually we play a team local to there first. Following that, who knows...

tolka park beckons?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

not a rumour or anything but id like to see us getting Yossi Benayoun...seen a few games now that he's been in and he's looked decent....any thoughts?

He's a player that we were closely linked with before. But i'm not too sure many of the Hammers players would be that keen on leaving the club. I think Alan Pardew is doing an amazing job there and building a quality team. I think that he is more central and therefore wouldn't really be required. But if Garcia was to go, as there is a little bit of talk about I think he would be a good replacement.

Interesting to hear Ian Wright talk about SWP's today. I presume he will leave Chelsea. And I wouldn't be surprised if Rafa is ready to test Chelsea about SWP..

But then again. Ian Wright is awful eejit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Rafa is ready to test Chelsea about SWP..

What does that mean?
    Money is no object.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

mada999 wrote:
    not a rumour or anything but id like to see us getting Yossi Benayoun...seen a few games now that he's been in and he's looked decent....any thoughts?

I dont think hes good enough as a right winger. And he wouldnt get his game as a centre midfielder. It would cost alot to get him away from west ham, no point spending that on a squad player.

PHB wrote:
    What does that mean?
    Money is no object.

Well obviously Chelsea can hold on to him and let him play reserve team football for the rest of his career if they like. But Rafa will test Chelsea to see if they will let him go or not. Surely there has to be pressure coming from the player. Crespo for example. Doesn't want to play there next year so Mourinho will let him leave.

If Rafa does want the player.. And once again I think he does I'd say a bid of around 11 million would be iinteresting..

After winning the Cup Yesterday we have a little more money and the club's reputation is comtinuing to grow again under Rafa. It will bode well when biding for players to see that we are close to great things once again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

The time to buy Benayoun was last year after he terrorised Ireland in the qualifiers.

I'd hate to see SWP come, as i think he is terribly overated, and must be the worst passer of the ball playing at a supposed top level I've seen.

Rafa will raid Spain, where there is some actual value in players and not over inflated brit flops.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 368 ✭✭wanabe

i think swp providing he came at the right price (round 8mil) would make a fantastic addition to the team give us some of that natural width we're lacking! and with the kind of aerial power we have up front it would be nice to see somebody getting to the byline beating defenders and knocking a few balls into the box!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

And once again I think he does I'd say a bid of around 11 million would be iinteresting..

Theres the thing, why would a bid of 11 milllion be any different to a bid of 2 million.

Money is irrelevent to them, the only thing that matters if Chelsea's success.

So heres the thing, if Liverpool are 'closing the gap', and forerunners to challenge Chelsea next season as some people say, why would Chelsea sell to their apparently close rivals?
    What possible benefit coud it have for them?
    Why wouldn't they say give him back to Man City, or loan him back to one of the clubs in the premiership. I'm fairly sure everybody would want him.

Or much more realistically, why wouldn't they sell him to somewhere abroad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    Theres the thing, why would a bid of 11 milllion be any different to a bid of 2 million.

Money is irrelevent to them, the only thing that matters if Chelsea's success.

So heres the thing, if Liverpool are 'closing the gap', and forerunners to challenge Chelsea next season as some people say, why would Chelsea sell to their apparently close rivals?
    What possible benefit coud it have for them?
    Why wouldn't they say give him back to Man City, or loan him back to one of the clubs in the premiership. I'm fairly sure everybody would want him.

Or much more realistically, why wouldn't they sell him to somewhere abroad?

If they are actually trying to make the club profitable in the med-long term (as they claim to)then money isnt as irrelevant as it would seem. They have to start taking in more than they spend sooner or later.

• Advertisement

according to bbc's paper talk thing, pennant has been made available for 5m would be worth it i think with. that leaves about 25m, if the papers are to be believed, maybe 2 of villa, defoe and kuyt coming in as well?

i pray we dont sign bent or johnson though.

that would then be
    reina
    finann-carra-hyypia-auriello
    ----alonso--sissoko
    pennant
    kewell(??)
    Gerrard

Kuyt

although i do reckon kewell will go. i wouldnt be surprised if any of the following left

Dudek(2m)
    kewell(3m)
    riise(3m)
    troare(1m)
    garcia(5m)
    ciise(7m)
    fsp(2m)
    alt(1m)
    morientes(4m)

if we got 28m for the above i would be happy to let them all go that woudl mean ~60m for 2 strikers, 1 LW, 1 CM, 1 LB, 1 RB, 2 RW

then in-

SWP(11m)
    pennant(5m)
    Kuyt(10m)
    Defoe(8m)

24m left over for 4 players? what do y'all think?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement