Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

btw cisse has made the france squad, no anelka.

Goalkeepers: Fabien Barthez (Olympique Marseille), Gregory Coupet (Olympique Lyon), Mickael Landreau (Nantes).

Defenders: Eric Abidal (Olympique Lyon), Jean-Alain Boumsong (Newcastle United), Pascal Chimbonda (Wigan Athletic), William Gallas (Chelsea), Gael Givet (Monaco) Willy Sagnol (Bayern Munich), Mikael Silvestre (Manchester United), Lilian Thuram (Juventus).

Midfielders: Vikash Dhorasoo (Paris St Germain), Alou Diarra (Racing Lens), Claude Makelele (Chelsea), Florent Malouda (Olympique Lyon), Patrick Vieira (Juventus), Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid).

Strikers: Djibril Cisse (Liverpool), Thierry Henry (Arsenal), Franck Ribery (Olympique Marseille), Louis Saha (Manchester United), David Trezeguet (Juventus), Sylvain Wiltord (Olympique Lyon).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

@Call_me_al

Riise is one of our best players! Surely we'd get more thatn £3mil for him. But why would we sell him, he's a proven performer in the league and contributes goals + assists. How can you be sure that Aurelio will be able to match this and do even better.

The numbers for the other players seem about right, but i can't see Garcia being sold.

And id imagine we'll only get SWP or Pennant, not both.

i do like him, but i just have a feeling if an offer came in he might go, as with garcia. also if garcia leaves, we would really need gerrard in the centre so a rw and a backup well be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Call_me_al wrote:
    i do like him, but i just have a feeling if an offer came in he might go, as with garcia. also if garcia leaves, we would really need gerrard in the centre so a rw and a backup well be needed.

Riise for sale? And at that Price. I dont think so. He has been apart of an amazing defence this year and his contribution to that cant be under-estimated. Highlighted by ou vulnerability when Traore and to an extent Warnock play..

If someone was to bid 3million for JAR I think they would be either 2 things. Brave or stupid.. If Del Horno cost 8 million. Riise must be worth that at least.

Not a chance I can see him Leaving.

according to teamtalk Parry stated there are four players coming in, if there is a clear out that is not enough players coming in.

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,16368,2483_1224284,00.html

• Advertisement

Not necessarily.

There's probably plans afoot to get one or two of the youngsters to make the step up to senior football next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If they are actually trying to make the club profitable in the med-long term (as they claim to)then money isnt as irrelevant as it would seem. They have to start taking in more than they spend sooner or later.

Do you honastly believe they are? ATM, their wages are 180%(I think, it could be 150%) times Man Utd's wages! This is unsustainable. To become profitable first thing they would have to do is cut their wages, and thus their incredible squad.

Their money is what keeps them afloat, and they cannot survive without this, everybody knows this, ultimately even their marketing is just an attempt to stop the other clubs from competing with them.

They have no interest in money, except that they aren't stupid. They care about success, and there is no reason whatsoever at all that they would want to sell to one of their rivals. It'd just be silly, about as silly as the suggestion that they would.

Even if they cared about money, if SWP was at United right now, would they sell him to Liverpool? No, they'd sell him abroad. Just think about it for a second instead of wishing it so.

----
    If someone was to bid 3million for JAR I think they would be either 2 things. Brave or stupid.. If Del Horno cost 8 million. Riise must be worth that at least.

Never ever use Chelsea as an example for player costs :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

This thread is now Boards 10th most posted on thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Pennant would do for me, I was also impressed with Kromkramp yesterday, and with a pre-season in him, He is good backup on the right. Don't forget we have Gonzalez coming in as well. He will give us much needed directness down the left.

There will be a few first teamers to leave. But maybe not a clearout.

Cisse has to go, He will easily score 20+ in any european league bar England, Spain and Italy, but its so frustrating watching him.

We came up short against the other top teams in the league due to the lack of firepower and service.

i knew i forogt someone: gonzalez. looks like he'll be good. although i am convinced that you cant compare a players form in any other league when the come to the EPL.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

PHB wrote:
    Do you honastly believe they are? ATM, their wages are 180%(I think, it could be 150%) times Man Utd's wages! This is unsustainable. To become profitable first thing they would have to do is cut their wages, and thus their incredible squad.

Their money is what keeps them afloat, and they cannot survive without this, everybody knows this, ultimately even their marketing is just an attempt to stop the other clubs from competing with them.

Yes this is why they recruited Kenyon.. Remember him and what he done for United??? They have also said publically that they intend to make the club profitable..

The fact they are trying to rob every up and coming youth player from competing clubs is also a clear indication that they do not want to keep spending the money that they currently are!! That young fella they are poaching from United is an example if you want one..

Within 3 or 4 years, Chelsea will not be making the purchases they are making now. Remember when United dominated the Premiership using mainly the players that came through their youth system in the early 90's and only bought players when they had to, that is what Chelsea will become.

They are also employing the same tactics and United did off the pitch. Sponsorship, increasing the capacity of their stadium and getting big shift sponsorship deals..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Within 3 or 4 years, Chelsea will not be making the purchases they are making now. Remember when United dominated the Premiership using mainly the players that came through their youth system in the early 90's and only bought players when they had to, that is what Chelsea will become.

Even if this was the case, it would mean SWP won't be sold just yet.

Beyond that, the league is not what it used to be, beacuse of Chelsea.
    You can't win anything with kids anymore, kids just can't get that sort of consistancy required to win a championship.

Chelsea can't become this because there is no reason for it. Ambrovimich hasn't even spent 0.10% of his fortune on Chelsea, it is nothing to him.
    Why would he stop spending? What reason would he have for it?
    They are also employing the same tactics and United did off the pitch. Sponsorship, increasing the capacity of their stadium and getting big shift sponsorship deals..

Yes they are, because that's how you make a club great. If they did none of this, they could never achieve the glory that United achieved in the 90's. Beyond this, it threatens the other clubs and makes them worse. Every fan won in Asia is a fan lost for United.

Kenyon was hired for one reason, and you meantioned in your post, he had intimate knowledge of all of United's transfer targets, all of them.
    Once this is over, which it will be in about 2 years, see how long he is kept for.

Do you honastly think they are going to sell SWp to Liverpool?

p.s.
    Also with Gonzalz coming in who looks the real deal, why would they want SWP. Isn't Gonzalez a right winger?

Nahhh, Gonzales is a left winger.

It'll be Pennant or SWP coming in - probably Pennant.

he can play on both sides like all good players, but is left footed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Didn't Risse get a contract extension at some stage during the year ? Don't think it was a significantly long extension but if he's got a couple of years left his value is likely to be a lot more than 3m.

Unless we sign 2 LBs this season I can't see Risse being sold on - AIUI the deal for Aurelio is as good as done so that would need another LB to be brought in. Traore & Warnock aren't up much (although I'd prefer to see Warnock being loaned out to get some regular first team games rather than being sold on) so I'm not counting them. Risse has been solid at LB this season. I can see Kewell being sold ahead of Risse.

tbh - I'm really looking forward to seeing a Risse/Gonzalez partnership on the left.

Also - more investment/takeover rumours..
    http://www.people.co.uk/sport/football/tm_objectid=17075179%26method=full%26siteid=93463%26headline=supersonic%2d%2dpound%2d180m%2dbid%2dfor%2danfield-name_page.html
    Who knows how much truth there is behind this one..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Call_me_al wrote:
    although i do reckon kewell will go. i wouldnt be surprised if any of the following left

Dudek(2m)
    kewell(3m)
    riise(3m)
    troare(1m)
    garcia(5m)
    ciise(7m)
    fsp(2m)
    alt(1m)
    morientes(4m)

Of that list I think all will go except Garcia & Riise.

One thing about Rafa and his transfers and that is they have worked out.

Josemi was probably the only bad one and not bad at that because he got a straight swap for Krom who looks to be a great signing. Very comforthable on the ball.
    Nunez was only part of the Owen deal so don't really consider him. Ok Morientes has not lived up to his reputation.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,659 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I think if Liverpool buy a Spanish star (e.g. Villa or Alves) Garcia will be used as a makeweight to help the deal through.

I think Kromkamp will leave in the summer, back to Holland for more than what Liverpool paid for him.

I think if Liverpool buy a Spanish star (e.g. Villa or Alves) Garcia will be used as a makeweight to help the deal through.

I think Kromkamp will leave in the summer, back to Holland for more than what Liverpool paid for him.

wouldnt surprise me, i havent been as impressed with him as most people have. thought he could have done much better in the final, considering how fresh he was and the space he was given. could be used as a makeweight in the Kuyt deal. But on the otherhand rafa likes to give his signings a lot of chances.

all we can do is wait and see, but lets hope we get all our signings done before the WC.

Daily Mirror are linking us with Yossi Benayoun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

A while ago i read that he had been offered to 2 clubs in part-exchange deals but i can't find the link now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

We won't get Villa, in fact there would be a national uproar if David Villa left Spain. We won't get Alves either, he's a brazillian trying to get into the Spanish team and needs the exposure in Spain.

I'd like to see Jésus Nevas come from Sevilla, he's a bit raw though but lightning quick and very direct.

As I said, the time to buy Yossi Benayoun was 1-2 years ago, when he was tearing teams apart in Irelands qualifying group. Although I'd take him or Pennant.

There will be a lot of rumours during the World Cup as well, but I think Rafa has a shortlist of men he wants, and its upto Parry to bring them through(something he doesn't seem 100% capable of)

• Advertisement

zabbo wrote:
    I'd like to see Jésus Nevas come from Sevilla, he's a bit raw though but lightning quick and very direct.

sounds like someone we already have!! we need tried and tested and if we want to challenge next year we cant afford to buy someone who could be another Cisse or nando. If we sign a 20/25 goal a season player we will push chelsea to the wire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

It looks like Little Luis could be heading off in the summer. Having family problems etc. Would be sorry to see that back of him, but getting £8-10 would represent good business from us and would certainly give Rafa a few more quid for the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

As inconsistent and frustrating at times that Luis-Garcia is, I wouldnt like to see him leave, unless it was for a part-exchange for a brilliant signing. I think he will stay. I also think Gonzalez will get his work permit.

Cisse did an ok job for us on Saturday, even though Rafa will never revere him as a quality striker (nor will I!), but I only think we can offload him if we are guaranteed to get a better player in. I would take Shevcenko at a heartbeat, but he is likely to be priced out of our reach if Abramovich sanctions to go after him.

It wont be easy getting in a good striker. Maybe Trezequet if Juventus offload due to the scandal in Italy.

For my liking, Rafa is still focussed too much on the Spanish league.

redspider

no league is comparable to the EPL, look at Veron and Crespo as prime examples from Seria A, Morientes from La Liga, Kezmen from the Erdevision(sp?) and Cisse and Evra from France. I dont think doing well in any of these leagues can prove you will do well in the EPL. so at least Rafa is sticking to a league he knows inside-out well and not really taking that much of a risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Yes and when you look at people, like henry, who never exelled as well abroad, what does that mean?

well one he was playing on the right and two wasnt given as much as a chance iirc. potentially it works the other way too, but how many players establish themselves in the EPL and then leave, not that many.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

Now I know a lot of people on here think Koptalk is the biggest load of sh** but don't shoot the messenger. Apparently we have tabled a bid for Darren Bent and he wants to come, if there are no major hiccups he should be signed in the next few days. Make of that what you will.

If it does happen I think it would be a good signing, strong, fast, very good shot and I think he is only 21/22. However I would hope for another striker to be signed along with him maybe Torres or Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Problem I see with Bent having a major transfer this summer is the fact that he moved only last summer. So he's going to be on a long contract still, so the club are likely to demand a high price and basicly there wouldn't be anything quick and easy about a Darren Bent transfer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

redspider wrote:
    Maybe Trezequet if Juventus offload due to the scandal in Italy.

IMO he is an extremely overrated striker and hopefully he does not end up any where near anfield.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

I always considered Trezeguet a shíttier RVN. He scores plenty of goals and all but i just hate the bastard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Now I know a lot of people on here think Koptalk is the biggest load of sh** but don't shoot the messenger. Apparently we have tabled a bid for Darren Bent and he wants to come, if there are no major hiccups he should be signed in the next few days. Make of that what you will.

If it does happen I think it would be a good signing, strong, fast, very good shot and I think he is only 21/22. However I would hope for another striker to be signed along with him maybe Torres or Kuyt.

Whats everyones opinion of Bent? Is he that good we would pay a lot of money for him(10mil +). Im wondering if he is much of a footballer seeing as Rafa is getting shot of Cisse mainly coz his footballing ability is muck. Andy Johnson was a pretty handy player as well as a striker and he might be more ameanable to a move given he's facing another season in Division1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

DaBreno wrote:
    Whats everyones opinion of Bent? Is he that good we would pay a lot of money for him(10mil +). Im wondering if he is much of a footballer seeing as Rafa is getting shot of Cisse mainly coz his footballing ability is muck. Andy Johnson was a pretty handy player as well as a striker and he might be more ameanable to a move given he's facing another season in Division1.

Been watching Bent for years and he is twice the player that Cisse is, problem was that he was playing in Championship and most people cant seem to watch football outside the PL because they think its "crap".....its actually can be alot harder to score goals in Championship that in PL, some quality sides in Championship.

Anyway been watching Bent play in Championship and for England U21's and always knew he was pure class, hence why I put him into my Fantasy Footie team at start of season and he done great for me!!!

It'd be plain wrong to sign him now - I'd feel uncomfortable if we signed a player that Big Nelly had praised!

Some interesting snippets from:
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=17085226%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=we%2dve%2ddone%2dit%2dthe%2dhard%2dway-name_page.html
    Mark Gonzalez, Gabriel Paletta and Fabio Aurelio are the first new faces Benitez hopes to parade before pre-season, with two of those deals officially confirmed and the other awaiting formalities.

So we can pretty much take Aurelio for granted so..
    The suggestion he'd pay as much as £12m for Bent, for example, can be dismissed out of hand.

10m seems to be the figure being thrown about as to how much we've bid but the above could suggest the initial bid was less than that.
    Similarly, despite claims Shaun Wright-Phillips could leave Chelsea for Liverpool, the Reds see no prospect of Jose Mourinho agreeing such a transfer. Wright-Phillips is not top of Benitez's wanted list for the right side of midfield anyway. His main target for this position plays in Europe.

So SWP isn't a priority then. As an aside last time I checked England/UK was part of Europe ;)
    Benitez may also need a back-up keeper if Jerzy Dudek or Scott Carson move on.

Not many of us have seem to have factored a keeper into the equation. Jerzy is said to be on high wages so he's likely to be moved on and could well see Scott loaned out to get more 1st team games under his belt.

Call_me_al wrote:
    well one he was playing on the right and two wasnt given as much as a chance iirc. potentially it works the other way too, but how many players establish themselves in the EPL and then leave, not that many.
    And then there's zola, cantona(and i'm a manu fan), ginola ect. Plus there's the fact that most of the worlds best modern era players have never played in england....yet. Zidane, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Figo, Raul, Ronaldinho.......
    My point is that the EPL is not "uncomaprable" to other leagues. 4 winners since it's begining, and only now there is a team that's dominating other than MU.
    Don't fall for the Sky hype and start believing that this is the cream of world football.
    But with chelsea building a (ballack, sheva?, tevez?) dream team, maybe the Sky hype could come true. Is that a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

spare a thought or two for poor auld jerzy dudek, didn't make it into the polish world cup squad. I still reckon he's a great keeper, I'd surprised if poland had two (or three) keepers better than him.

Kuzhak(sp)he from poland?, Boruc? Those lads are good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

... and Dudek has hardly played all season. Not the best situation for a player going to a WC.

And then there's zola, cantona(and i'm a manu fan), ginola ect. Plus there's the fact that most of the worlds best modern era players have never played in england....yet. Zidane, Ronaldo, Rivaldo, Figo, Raul, Ronaldinho.......
    My point is that the EPL is not "uncomaprable" to other leagues. 4 winners since it's begining, and only now there is a team that's dominating other than MU.
    Don't fall for the Sky hype and start believing that this is the cream of world football.
    But with chelsea building a (ballack, sheva?, tevez?) dream team, maybe the Sky hype could come true. Is that a good thing?

i never said it was the best league in the world, although it is hard to find football thats as entertaining, also the representation in europe this year and last was quite good. but i am saying it is hard to compare a players performance in one league to a performance in another.

i dont think ginola, cantona and zola are great examples, while they each were good players they played at a time when the pl wasnt where it is now due to the lack of european football - specifically refering to EC and DG here. i dont believe any of them would do as good if they played now.

in other words one reason why players, particularly forwards dont do well is cause it is a more physical league.

also what does how many winners there have been in a league have to do with if it is better than another league? just because one team can dominate the league doent mean another league is better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

Fowler signed 1 year deal today.
    good stuff.
    getting worried about new signings though have a feeling this summer might be a let down :(

• Advertisement

Nando admitting his future at LFC doesn't look too good..

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=387883&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=2&title=Nando's+future+doubt

Pack your bags mate and make sure your passport hasn't expired :D

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Morientes ready to leave Liverpool
    tribalfootball.com - May 17, 2006

Liverpool striker Fernando Morientes is expecting to leave Anfield this summer and has been linked with Espanyol and Seville.
    "People are saying Liverpool are going to sign forwards and Benítez doesn't count on me any more. I will have to speak to the manager and see if he wants me," Morientes said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

Aw, well good luck to him in Spain. Pity he didn't work out well here but he just has to go, look awfully out of place on the pitch playing for us, just doesn't know what to do. Gotta still like the guy. Wonder what we'll get for him. I wouldn't say too much. That quote is pretty depressing though, hope he gets a lift from signing for a new club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

gutted for mori, love him,
    think he does work hard and at times was very close to getting himself kick started but i guess it wasn't meant ot be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

its just his actual finishing thats just totally gone, his actual game play is good, he makes space alot and works hard, but his goal return is just not acceptable, 12 in 60 or something.

Given that his game play is fine, and that he does normally score goals when playing for Spain, it's disapointing that he's been left out of the Spanish world cup squad.

Could have been a chance for him to get some confidence back, or at worst to put him in the shop window so he can hopefully find a good club for himself. I don't think the decision to bring him to Liverpool was a bad one - it could have worked brilliantly and most people were delighted we obtained him.

The writing does seem to be on the wall however - I don't see us keeping both Fowler and Morrientes, and Fowler has just signed a new contract. If he is soon to depart I hope he does well, and hopefully doesn't come back to haunt us in a European tie :) Again, presuming that he is actually to leave Liverpool, I wonder would he consider staying in the English league? He has said before that he sees himself finishing his career here.

i can only see him going to one of the peripheral spanish teams, sevilla or espanyol or something, espanyol have been interested in him anyway, i wouldnt be suprised to see him go back to france either.

2 or 3 million for him would be a reasonable return considering his contribution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Just been told the Kuyt transfer is dead. Liverpool want to finalise everything this week and Feyenoord want to wait until after the World Cup.

Morientes has been offered to Real Betis.

Daniel Alves will decide in the next week about a move to Liverpool or Barcelona.

that sucks, kuyt seemed like the most realistic option for a striker on the continent. fingers crossed for alves though

bannor i may have missed this earlier but where do you get your info from?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement