Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lex Luthor wrote:
    F*ck Kuyt. If he doesn't want to solely play for Liverpool then I wouldn't like to see him come and I don't think Rafa would bring him in either.

He only wants players that want to play for Liverpool and not the top 4 or 5 in England.

eh...no he doesnt. He only wants players who are good enough to play for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

eh...no he doesnt. He only wants players who are good enough to play for Liverpool.
    Let me re-phrase what I actually meant and you're right....

He only wants players that want to play for Liverpool and are good enough to play for Liverpool and not players you just want to think they want to play in the top 4 or 5 in England
    ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I dont believe there is any foreign player who Liverpool have who would not have signed for Arsenal or Chelsea or ManU had they come in with an acceptable offer beforehand. Xabi Alonso would be a ManUnited player now if Ferguson had not changed his mind on him (and bought Kleberson and Djemba x2 instead. :D ) Sissoko was about to sign for Everton when Rafa heard about it and moved in. Its how you play when you get there that counts, not who your favourite team is beforehand. We all know about the Everton fans playing for Liverpool and that Solksjaer was a massive Liverpool fan before he joined the mancs.

If Liverpool make an offer for Kuyt, I guarantee Kuyt will want to play for Liverpool!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

alonso was going to manure? jaysis i forgot that. could ya imagine!!! he's no replacement for keane but still would have been valuable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

from BBC:
    Liverpool striker Fernando Morientes will not be returning to Spain this summer, according to his agent.
    Gines Carvajal dismissed reports linking Morientes with a move to Real Betis or Valencia, saying: "These are only rumours made up by the press.

"There is nothing real - the only thing certain is Morientes has two years left on his contract with Liverpool."

Morientes, 30, who did not make Spain's World Cup squad, moved to Liverpool from Real Madrid for £6.3m in 2005.

He has scored 12 goals in 52 games for the Reds but managed only five in the Premiership during the 2005-2006 campaign.

In 37 games for Spain he has scored 23 goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Im kinda suprised Eidur Gudjohnsen hasnt bein mentioned as a target considering he is availale. He would be a very useful signing get ya 15 goals a season and countless assits

Dunno if its on the manc thread, but I heard Eidur's going there (along with a shed load of cash), in exchange for the long-faced one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Dunno if its on the manc thread, but I heard Eidur's going there (along with a shed load of cash), in exchange for the long-faced one.
    Hadn't heard that one. I'd cry if Van Nistelrooy went to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

i heard the same, but i would love us to sign eidur - he is a great player and has a great attitude.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

right now liverpool should be prioritising in a centre foward. an out and out goal scorer. the right wing isnt looking as essential with mark gonzales apparantly being amazing so myabe the funds should go into the front of goal... where pools obvious problem is.
    personally, i wouldnt mind seeing defoe there. hes got finishing ability and a clever footballing head on him. he is also a proven premiership striker, one that with the right services could easily land 18 goals a season... and with the likes of alonso, gerrard & crouch, im sure he will be well fed.
    i dont think we need a new right back atm, finnan has a good 3,4 years left in him and kromkamp is adequate cover. i think a deal for alves for £7m is a bit of a waste tbh... even if it is for a right mid. if ur going to buy a winger for a 4-2-3-1 system then u need an out and out winger... not a mutant full back. I still have hope for Jaoquin... but i doubt he'll go to pool :(
    we could skip the winger part if gonzales lives up to his reputation.

another squad centre mid would be nice too, Hamman has done a great service for pool, but maybe he is too old to be a workhorse, tough tackling CM.

if next seasons aim is to try and get ahead of united in the league and really ply the pressure on chelsea, then this summer is vital for pool. get rid of the flak around the edges (Dudek, Cisse, Traore) and sign proven players. no houllier- esque risks.
    hopefully cisse will impress in the world cup and some french club (lyon) will buy him at a stupid price (£10m would do ;) ). lets hope houllier is as stupid as we all think he is...

that said, cisse will prob go back to france, play for lyon and score 20 goals in the season.... proving of course that he is indeed a great player... just not in the EPL. related to Diego Forlan ? I hear they are 3rd cousins twice removed :p

Dudek deserves to go to a club where he will get 1st team football. maybe one of the newly promoted teams fits the bill....
    Traore can go to Kidderminster Harriers for all i care.... he'd prob still be on the bench there though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

gonzalez is primarily left sided, we definately need a right midfielder

and if defoe is so good then why cant he make the spurs team, im not having a go but unless he's cheap im not too keen

we need proven class not potential, Michael Owen would be a start

Cyrus wrote:
    we need proven class not potential, Michael Owen would be a start

sigh.....

from bbc:

Liverpool have entered the race to sign Mark Viduka, who says Steve McClaren's departure could spark his own move from Middlesbrough. (Mail)

But the Australia captain also admits he is tempted by a return home to play in the A-League. (Express)

Holland's Dirk Kuyt says Liverpool have made a fresh bid for him after having a £10m offer rejected by Feyenoord. (Sun)

Newcastle are also in the running for the Dutch World Cup star. (Independent)

Defender Djimi Traore has asked Liverpool to allow him to leave for a reasonable fee. (Mail)

and some humorous news:
    The FA has tempted fate by organising an England World Cup victory parade with a trip to see the Queen. (Times)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

If we got

Gonzalez (paid for)
    Paletta ( paid for)
    Pennant ( 3 Million?)
    Alves ( 7 Million ?)
    Kuyt ( 10 Million ? )
    Bellamy ( 7 Million )

I would be very happy.

sell of

Traore, Cisse, Moro, Kromkamp (only if he wants to go) , Dudek and maybe some of the older youngesters Mellor, Whitbread etc.

See what you get for them and maybe chase a bigger striker instead of Bellamy.

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Call_me_al wrote:
    i heard the same, but i would love us to sign eidur - he is a great player and has a great attitude.

Attitutde? This is the guy who dived in the CL semi-final to get Xabi suspended from the Anfield leg and basically laughed about the in the papers the next day. His last minute miss in front of the Kop was one of the highlights of the season.
    Call_me_al wrote:
    from bbc:
    Liverpool have entered the race to sign Mark Viduka, who says Steve McClaren's departure could spark his own move from Middlesbrough. (Mail)

Id imagine when it comes to a potential signing, Rafa looks for Commitment to a club, overall fitness and effectiveness on the pitch. So that safely rules out this Tool. His utterly lethargic performance in the Uefa Cup final was appalling. No thanks!
    Call_me_al wrote:
    Defender Djimi Traore has asked Liverpool to allow him to leave for a reasonable fee.
    Woo-Hoo! :)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Call_me_al wrote:
    Defender Djimi Traore has asked Liverpool to allow him to leave for a reasonable fee. (Mail)
    If they try to charge more than a fiver he will never sell.

Djimi "the shimmy" Traore should fetch about 3-4 Million.

He is a champions league winner who always plays reasonably well.

For every Burnley there was a cut inside and goal scored against Steaua.

He played really well last season and this season when called upon.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

DaBrenno wrote:
    Attitutde? This is the guy who dived in the CL semi-final to get Xabi suspended from the Anfield leg and basically laughed about the in the papers the next day. His last minute miss in front of the Kop was one of the highlights of the season.

my sentiments exactly. As for little jim jim, i really don't care what we get for him as long as he goes. i'd say he could do well enough for himself at a smaller club.

Direct quote from Kuyt in the Independent (London):

"Feyenoord's president Jorien van den Herik has informed me of a new approach from last year's European champions, but it is out of my hands.

I have several opportunities but it is now down to Feyenoord. I am happy at Feyenoord but would like to play in the Premier League.

Last year that was close to happening so for now I prefer to concentrate only on the World Cup because my hopes could be soured again."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

it seems to be looking very likely imo. i think Emmo was bang on. if we have Gonzalez, Paletta and can getPennant Alves and Kuyt (I'd hate to see Bellamy at anfield though) i'd be a very happy man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'd be a bit depressed if Viduka was signed, he has an eye for goal but seems to be happy to be a grump and we already have one of them! Bellamy is a good player but not office material.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

A signing must be soon, we've seen it before, we must be close to signing a striker, and they must be stalling, so we're linked to another striker(viduka) to speed up the deal.

The Kuyt deal looks close, but who knows, maybe Rafa will pull something from nowhere like he did with Momo?

In Rafa we trust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Bannor was saying that the Kuyt deal went dead.. As Feyenoord were waiting to see if he performed well at the World Cup to raise the asking price. I really hope something does happen soon. I dont want Rafa frustrated by lack of funds or ambition by the board...

He could go walkies if that happens. Just ask Valencia.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sajan wrote:
    Bannor was saying that the Kuyt deal went dead.. As Feyenoord were waiting to see if he performed well at the World Cup to raise the asking price. I really hope something does happen soon. I dont want Rafa frustrated by lack of funds or ambition by the board...

He could go walkies if that happens. Just ask Valencia.

Massive difference between us a valencia.

Rafa knwos what hes willing to pay, even if the board where willing to stump up the extra i wouldnt be suprised if he turned around and said no.

He knows a fair asking price, and wont go above it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

AS? is that a spainish paper/site and you copy and pasted the article into an translator?

I would like to see didi stay. We wouldnt get any money for him, so why not keep him? He would still be very useful to have around training for the young players. Maybe he wants one more season of regular football though, dont blame him. Hes been a brilliant signing for liverpool.

Yes mate. AS.com can be quite good too, but babbelfish can drive you absolutely bonkers if you dont speak spanish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Just thought Liverpool fans might appreciate this photo: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054936810

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

irish1 wrote:
    Just thought Liverpool fans might appreciate this photo: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054936810

Fecking off topic ;) get outta here buddy :)

Nice photo though :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Valencia sports director Amedao Carboni is on the verge of sealing a deal with Liverpool for striker Fernando Morientes.

Carboni spent all day yesterday in talks with Liverpool officials for the former European Player of the Year and is close to an agreement over a £2.75 million fee.

Liverpool initially demanded £4 million, but are prepared to accept Carboni's offer - so long as Valencia agree to various add-ons based on appearances and success.

Carboni is desperate to make Morientes his first signing as new Valencia sports director and has also drawn up a three-year contract offer for the Spaniard to consider.
    http://www.tribalfootball.com/may/spanishnews1250506.html

Well then that must mean at least two strikers coming in.

Good look to Moro, showed touches of brilliance and then he also showed some real dire moments.

I hope he gets back to the top of his game in Spain.

What does this mean for Mista?

If Valencia have Aimar, Mista, Villa and now Moro does that mean one of them on there way?

Mista would be good and cheap singing for Pool.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

2.75 million for Morientes seems very low? no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Shame Morientes didn't get into Spains world cup squad - would have delayed this and possibly we would have gotten more money for him (seemings as his strike rate is nearly 2 every 3 games for Spain).

As is, he's had poor form for us, isn't going to the World Cup and we may as well just let him go easily. I wish him well, shame his time at Liverpool wasn't more fruitful. I reckon he'll do well for Valencia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

irish1 wrote:
    2.75 million for Morientes seems very low? no?

Nope. He's only 30 but looks well past his best. Seems injury prone as well.
    He's not a lazy git like Viduka, but he just doesn't seem to have it in him
    anymore.

I'd say he's on pretty high wages as well, which might be part of the reason
    they're letting him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

And you all know he'll get Forlan syndrome and started knocking them in from every angle when he gets back to La Liga :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭bazzman

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152461060525-1824.htm

sad to see him go, never really got going here though, hope his replacement will be a true goal scorer, and i think rafa will produce once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

good to see some movement on the reshaping of the squad. i cant imagine the initial fee being much more than 2.5 mill, the rest being performance based i'd imagine

good luck mori

I knew his agent was talking sh-ite!

Mike.

Looks like we were interested in taking Di Vaio on in exchange, but he wanted to stay in Spain/France for family reasons.

Probably for the best, he's just turned 30.

And...
    Gonzalez can't wait for Liverpool switch

Chilean winger Mark Gonzalez whet the appetite of Liverpool supporters as he turned out a a man-of-the-match display in his countries victory over the Republic of Ireland last night.

Afterwards, Gonzalez admitted that he is desperate to complete his transfer to Liverpool and hopes that red tape does not scupper the move for the second successive summer.

Liverpool will submit another work permit application on June 1st and it's thought that his performance last night, plus Chile's entry into the top 70 of the FIFA World Rankings should be enough to secure the deal.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry confirmed: "There are many different factors this time. Firstly, we're signing Mark on a permanent deal, whereas a year ago it was initially a one season loan."

"He's also fully fit having recovered from the serious injury he had this time last year, and Chile have also broken into the world's top 70 in the FIFA rankings. We'll be making the new work permit application on June 1."

Despite this, it's thought that both club and player are taking nothing for granted and Gonzalez will continue with his attempts to get a Spanish passport.

The 22-year-old is hopeful, however, that he will complete the estimated £4.7m deal this summer.

Gonzalez himself said last night: "I'll be going back to train again but I've got to wait for my work permit. They have had to loan me to Real Sociedad until my work permit comes through but everything is going well at the moment and I have had a lot of support off Rafa."

"I couldn't watch the FA Cup final but I was very happy when I had found out we had won. I was delighted when they told me Liverpool had won the cup and now I just want to play as soon as possible."

"It has been my dream for a long time to play in the Premiership and now it is so close. The only thing I want to do now is play for Liverpool. It is all that I have been thinking about."

"It has been frustrating with the work permit and we still have to wait but hopefully everything will be normal in my case. I just want to play for Liverpool as soon as possible."
    Really looking forward to seeing Speedy in a red jersey :D

Dispite Bannors words I think we'll land Dirk Kuyt, if its a choice between Newcastle and Pool which would you choose?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/5011150.stm

Forget all that "Newcastle is my dream move" nonsense!.

Mike.

Still not so convinced about Kuyt. Has he only started scoring regularly this season or has he been doing it for a couple of seasons now? Has he played any european cup football?

One thing's for certain, Feynoord won't seel him before the WC.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

SofaKing wrote:
    Still not so convinced about Kuyt. Has he only started scoring regularly this season or has he been doing it for a couple of seasons now? .

Strong, athletic, industrious and with a proven track record at sniffing out goals, this Dutchman would be an asset to any team - including his national one.

Professional League Goal-Scoring Record:
    98-99 FC Utrecht 28 matches, 5 goals
    99-00 FC Utrecht 33 matches, 6 goals
    00-01 FC Utrecht 32 matches, 12 goals
    01-02 FC Utrecht 34 matches, 7 goals
    02-03 FC Utrecht 34 matches, 20 goals
    03-04 Feyenoord 34 matches, 20 goals
    04-05 Feyenoord 34 matches, 29 goals
    05-06 Feyenoord 33 matches, 22 goals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Kuyt has been scoring consistently alright, if you consider 3 goals in every 4 games to be consistent.. 24 league goals in 35 games this season and 75 goals in 101 games overall in his Feyenord career.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

mike65 wrote:
    Dispite Bannors words I think we'll land Dirk Kuyt, if its a choice between Newcastle and Pool which would you choose?

Maybe he saw that movie 'Goal' and thinks newcastle are the dogs b0ll0cks. I dunno why he'd want to go there either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Maybe he saw that movie 'Goal' and thinks newcastle are the dogs b0ll0cks. I dunno why he'd want to go there either.

They could afford him, and are willing to pay, unlike Liverpool.

I think theres a element of Rafa being too stubborn in transfer fees. I know it's good to say, no thanks, we'll get someone else, we're not getting ripped off, but sometimes you just have to accept it for the overall good, i.e. getting a world class striker, even if you get him at 5 million above his real value.

They could afford him, and are willing to pay, unlike Liverpool.

I think theres a element of Rafa being too stubborn in transfer fees. I know it's good to say, no thanks, we'll get someone else, we're not getting ripped off, but sometimes you just have to accept it for the overall good, i.e. getting a world class striker, even if you get him at 5 million above his real value.

when newcastle...you know....actually win something....ever, come back and talk about what the right thing for liverpool to being doing is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Pity it never worked out for Morientes at Anfield... it could have been a beautiful relationship. But I'm also glad he's gone now and happy for him that he didn't end up at too crappy a team or somewhere in like... Turkey.

No, PHB is right imo.

I wouldn't want us in a similar position last year where tyhr transfer window finished last summer and we still hadnt the right personnel.

If we're in a similar situation, come the end of the August where there's a proven world class striker available, who wants to play for Liverpool, and the other team are holding out for another couple of million, then id like Rafa to bite the bullet and get his man.

Of course Rafa should only do it in this situation for that sort of player.

I don't want to see us paying an extra 5mil above the market value for a striker (no matter who many hes scored in his own league) who is unproven outside of Holland.

i for one am sick and tired of looking at liverpool pay over the odds for average joes

should we have payed that bit extra for cisse? or diouf....the list goes on.

if a team wants to over value a player, let them, liverpool should be doing the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I think Rafa is fairly clever - often you're buying in players that will hopefully do the job, they may be unproven in the league or not at the highest level all that long or whatever, and for these players Rafa will be cagey with the checkbook.

When he's more certain about a player though (I'm thinking Alonso), he's happy to spend the cash.

seems carsons off to the world cup it seems after Green ruptured his groin.

Woops!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Call_me_al wrote:
    carsons of to the world cup it seems after Green ruptured his green.

He ruptured himself? :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement