Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

yeah i think the squad may be worried. lets hope kewell has a good world cup

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Well for the first half season pool should be ok with Crouch Fowler +1 signing and then bring back pongolle till at least Jan window instead of splashing on a 2nd striker.

Could see Kewell being sold now if Gonzalez gets his permit, but personally would prefer to see him stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I don't see Kewell being sold unless we're really stuck. Benitez has recently been talking about how good he thought his season was for us. Also it's good to have more then one player for each position, so if Riise is classed as a defender then that'd be Kewell and Gonzalez for left midfield (presuming he gets a permit, that could really mess up our Summer).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

+ Zenden, don't forget!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

How's his return from injury going actually? He should be back fully fit by now if i remember correctly?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Any word on Gonzales work permit? Decision being made today, i saw him in action when i was in spain in Jan and he was awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

eyerer wrote:
    I read that it was the same leg as before, the commentators reckon his career is over. Apparently there was blood everywhere and he was screaming while being stretchered off?

well whoever told you that is full of sh1t... i dont think anything in that above statement is true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

~Rebel~ wrote:
    How's his return from injury going actually? He should be back fully fit by now if i remember correctly?

There was pics of him on lfc training before the end of the season but whether he was just running with the team and building fitness levels, or he was actually taking full part in training sessions I dont know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

If we can bring in one striker and a right midfielder, I will be happy. Cisse will be back before too long, and until then we've Crouch, God, New Striker (Kuyt?) and Pongolle. So we may miss out on Bellamy or Bent, but are these really an improvement over Cisse?

yeh Alves and Kuyt maybe with Pennant, and I am happy. dont really care for bellamy or Bent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Call_me_al wrote:
    well whoever told you that is full of sh1t... i dont think anything in that above statement is true.

yeah, i had a feeling the thing i read should have had a disclaimer: "dramatization, may not have happened".

being an optimist, maybe this means a better replacement will come in at a later date, rather than a bellamy (good player, horrible person)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Rumours are rife this morning that Hammann signing for Bolton is imminent.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

spockety wrote:
    Rumours are rife this morning that Hammann signing for Bolton is imminent.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nooooooo way!!!! Hamann can't go.... unless we are getting Stelios in a swap deal!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Man, that's terrible news. Hamann has been a legend for us. I guess the Cisse disaster has forced our hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Ardent wrote:
    Man, that's terrible news. Hamann has been a legend for us. I guess the Cisse disaster has forced our hand.
    Don't see how (apart from reducing the wage bill). Hamann is in a different position and too old for us to be able to command a sizeable fee for him - plus Bolton are usually cheapskates :p (that's not slander, is it?)

I would be pretty pissed to see Hamann goin. But he has given us some fantastic years of football and some memorable preformances - not least the impact he had in the second half of the champions league final after coming on as a sub. The only reason he would leave is if he was guaranteed more 1st team action. If thats the case, good luck Hamann. You are an Anfield Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Will be sad to see Hamann go - the man's a legend. Presume he's on a decent enough wage and given that he's hardly playing it kinda makes sense to get him off the books. Still reckon Momo could learn so much from him.

Leaves us without much cover in CM - Gerrard, Alonso & Momo + youngsters (& let's not forget Carra in his new found role as a holding midfielder). Wouldn't be surprised to see another CM come in if Hamann does move on - maybe not now but in Jan.

How could I forget the likes of Diao & Cheyrou here ... oh yeah - that's how ;)

zing wrote:
    let's not forget Carra in his new found role as a holding midfielder

in fairness he has played that position before - he started out at Liverpool as a striker, then moved to Defensive Midfielder in the U21s, then became a right back for the first team(and a utility holding mid) and then moved the CB.

and he doesnt have a big range of passing, as seen when playing for england, and his creativity isnt up to much.

But we do have Xabi, Momo, Stevie can play there if neede and dont we still have Medjani, Guthrie, Mannix and Anderson who can all play there. Also i Think hobbs has played there for reserves. so we arent short of DMFs.

But it will be the end of a great career for Hamann, himself and Gerrard
    effectively won us the CL. Good luck to him whatever happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Hope it's not true about Didi. He's not first choice anymore, sure, but that's only due to his age. I won't feel comfortable without seeing him on the subs bench. Those youth players mentioned above have a handful of first team appearances between them so I wouldn't be too happy about them being the only cover for Sissoko. But yea fair enough, if he leaves for more games it's only reasonable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Zenden could play CM if needs be but id prefer an u18 to make the step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Read the story about Hamaan on www.redandwhitekop.com it's a pity, only for him liverpool probably wouldn't have won the Champions League or FA Cup as it allowed Stevie G "off the leash". We don't have a direct replacement at the moment but Carra could be used there, following his performance for england, and due to the fact that we have Hyppia, Agger and Paletta for the CB spot. Paletta has also played a few games there. According to Skysportsnews Rafa has another target .Zenden has played in the center (although in a different role)for 'boro and scored a few goals too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

SofaKing wrote:
    Zenden could play CM if needs be but id prefer an u18 to make the step up.

i dont really see what zenden has to contribute to the team at this stage, not as a left winger anyway, i dont think he was bought to be a cm.

losing hamman would suck, he has the ability to be brought on as a sub and change a game, by letting gerrard loose, as seen in the last 2 finals. pools loss would definitely be a big gain to any team he goes to, and tbh, bolton are already a big enough pain in the ass, giving them hamman wont do pool any favours.

agree with the above posts, I highly rate hamann and always like to have him as an option. He's the sort of tactical sub that's perfect for some games, as has been shown.

i dont care what anyone says i'd rather carra stayed in defence. him and sami's offside trap is second to none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Call_me_al wrote:
    But we do have Xabi, Momo, Stevie can play there if neede and dont we still have Medjani, Guthrie, Mannix and Anderson who can all play there. Also i Think hobbs has played there for reserves. so we arent short of DMFs.

Well not really, Medjani is a defender, Anderson a winger, Guthrie and Mannix more playmakers. Hobbs is a possibility partly because of his physique, he'd be a lot more capable than any of the others mentioned. Introducing players from the youth team into the first team hasn't been Rafa's strongpoint though. John Welsh was sold on despite being a regular England U-18/21 player, and it looks like Darren Potter will be sold on as well. Which is fair enough I suppose, if a player isn't good enough then they have to be let go, but I just wish we were more proactive in the loaning players out to teams where they actually might develop, rather than just been an excuse to get them out of sight and off the wage bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Stky10 wrote:
    Well not really, Medjani is a defender, Anderson a winger, Guthrie and Mannix more playmakers. Hobbs is a possibility partly because of his physique, he'd be a lot more capable than any of the others mentioned. Introducing players from the youth team into the first team hasn't been Rafa's strongpoint though. John Welsh was sold on despite being a regular England U-18/21 player, and it looks like Darren Potter will be sold on as well. Which is fair enough I suppose, if a player isn't good enough then they have to be let go, but I just wish we were more proactive in the loaning players out to teams where they actually might develop, rather than just been an excuse to get them out of sight and off the wage bill.

Welsh was swapped for Anderson, who looks to be a great talent!

Yeah. There seems to be a lot of positive things being said about Anderson. Hopefully he'll get the odd chance from the subs bench this season to make the step up. Cos its not like we are flush with right wingers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I know, I'd just prefer to have them both. Not that Welsh did a lot in the matches he played, but he should have been sent somewhere better on loan than Hull, or got more of a chance in the first team to bed in. If Anderson is given the same amount of time in the first team as Welsh, he'll probably fail as well.

I read a quote from Wenger recently, that basically said that with young players coming through the youth system, you've got a limited time in which to blood them and get them embedded or else you'll lose them as they get disillusioned, don't keep improving etc. I think we're falling victim of that, too many youth players not given a decent chance to impress or sent out to some backwater to play, and not monitored to see how they're doing.

And what happened to the association with Crewe that was announced a few years ago?. It could have been a good feeder development club if it had been managed correctly..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'll belive the Hamann/Bolton story when its announced, as we've been here at least twice before. That said the story is by Chris Bascombe who is 99% right 99% of the time.

Mike.

Stky10 wrote:
    II read a quote from Wenger recently, that basically said that with young players coming through the youth system, you've got a limited time in which to blood them and get them embedded or else you'll lose them as they get disillusioned, don't keep improving etc.

thats fairly accurate imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Stky10 wrote:
    I know, I'd just prefer to have them both. Not that Welsh did a lot in the matches he played, but he should have been sent somewhere better on loan than Hull, or got more of a chance in the first team to bed in. If Anderson is given the same amount of time in the first team as Welsh, he'll probably fail as well.

Better then hull? Like where? should we of sent him to chelsea, or maybe asked united if they would get him some regular playing time? Hull is a good club. Decent championship side. Cant think of a much better club to loan a player out too.
    Stky10 wrote:
    I read a quote from Wenger recently, that basically said that with young players coming through the youth system, you've got a limited time in which to blood them and get them embedded or else you'll lose them as they get disillusioned, don't keep improving etc. I think we're falling victim of that, too many youth players not given a decent chance to impress or sent out to some backwater to play, and not monitored to see how they're doing.

Big diffence between Arsenals youth players and ours under houllier.

Eh..what?!
    Not monitored? So your telling me the players sent out on loan arent monitored? how do you know this exactly? I am sure rafa isnt watching these players every game, but they are definitly monitored by the scouts etc.

Stky10 wrote:
    And what happened to the association with Crewe that was announced a few years ago?. It could have been a good feeder development club if it had been managed correctly..

wait a second. You complain about players being sent to the backwater of hull, yet are upset when are association with crewe as a feeder club hasnt worked? riiiiiiiiight...

Hull is a better club then crewe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Well we know for definite that Rafa is after Alves. Linky
    Would love to see him, play in the red as he's looked very good all season and he wasnt even playing in his preferred position (winger). He'd also be the 1st Brazilian to wear the red!

Fabio Aurelio might beat him to that honour.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Fabio Aurelio might beat him to that honour.

Mike.
    If we get a deal done before July 1st then Alves will get it "officially"! Though do you believe the rumours that we have signed him? I'm not too sure cos I really rate Riise and I wouldnt like to see him fall down in the pecking order.

• Advertisement

Aurelio seems to be a nearly done deal. His club (valencia) seem to think he's
    gone. Its Traore who's making way. Riise will remain first choice LB next season I think.

Mike.

Slurms wrote:
    If we get a deal done before July 1st then Alves will get it "officially"! Though do you believe the rumours that we have signed him? I'm not too sure cos I really rate Riise and I wouldnt like to see him fall down in the pecking order.

i dont think riise is good enough to be a first choice left back, and not a first choice left winger either, he's just not good enough in either position, but he's the best utility left sided player any team could have.

the sad thing is, it will take no less than players with the class of aurellio and alves to help the team turn the corner and win the league.

imo, the MINIMUM liverpool can bring in and hope to win the league is

gonzalez
    aurellio
    alves
    1 striker
    1 right winger

thats the bare minimum, next season asenal have a stronger midfield, youngsters that are 1 year more experinced, man u will be there or thereabouts depending on who they sign, and chelsea have bought world class additions.

Gonzalez isnt quite up to Kewells standard just yet, but he is a good prospect!

Yup we do need all those you mentioned el_rabitos but where are we gonna get the money from? Unless we get some proper investment this summer I can't see Moore reaching into his pockets.

I'm really liking the look of Dirk Kuyt but while I'm dreaming, I may aswell wish for 'Nando Torres!

even if we dont improve - which we will - i think we would get a higher points total than last year. up until october we couldnt score and were dreadfull. so i reckon we will have a good year next year even if we only bring in:
    gonzalez
    aurellio
    alves
    1 striker

but i do reckon we will find a RW somewhere.

any news on Gonzalez' work permit??

Slurms wrote:

Yup we do need all those you mentioned el_rabitos but where are we gonna get the money from? Unless we get some proper investment this summer I can't see Moore reaching into his pockets.

I'm really liking the look of Dirk Kuyt but while I'm dreaming, I may aswell wish for 'Nando Torres!

$hit man, if he's below kewels par, he might aswell stay in chile

no idea where the cash is coming from, i'm just saying if a realistic tilt at the title is whats wanted, those are just the bare minimum that i think is needed, when u take into account, chelsea and arsenals improvements

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

It was confirmed to me today that Didi Hamann signed for Bolton. Sad to see him leave, he has been terrific for the club and IMO is a club legend after his performance in Istanbul.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Slurms wrote:

tbh - I reckon 'arry's days are numbered. Primarily because we're going to have so much cover on LW (Riise/Gonzalez/Zenden/Kewell) - couple that together with limited funds and limited options in other positions - so it would hardly be a surprise to see someone go from LW during the summer. Likely to be between him & JAR anyway and it wouldn't make a huge amount of sense to sell both your only reliable LB and Traore in the same window. I'm assuming Bolo will still be around as he only signed last year - then again he'll be 30 this year so maybe now would be the best time to sell if we were going to..

Kewell has the potential to bring us in a few quid if he has a decent WC or be used as bait in a swap deal to land a bigger fish. IIRC he's only got a couple of years on his contract so transfer fee is unlikely to be huge but after Cisse's injury Rafa's going to need to be both ruthless & creative to get the players he wants. I'd prefer to keep him but ...

btw - don't forget Paletta in those lists of players we're bringing in. He may only be 20 or so but together with Agger will hopefully be able to provide much needed cover for Sami & Carra

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

riisse is a left back who can be a left mid.
    we shouldnt sell him at all. too handy a player who is great with long range injuries on utd players ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

I've got a feeling that if kewell has a good world cup then he could be on his way if the fee is right. Seems to me that since cisse is injured someone else, who rafa hadn't originally planned to sell on, is gonna have to be sold on to make some money for new signings and kewell seems a likely option. Even though rafa has been praising him the last few months, he's too injury prone so he could be on his way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It was confirmed to me today that Didi Hamann signed for Bolton. Sad to see him leave, he has been terrific for the club and IMO is a club legend after his performance in Istanbul.

Any links ? Where did you get the info, nothing on Lfc.tv or ss..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

So they are back, no doubt looking for a knockdown fee despite being told the operation was a complete success. That said Rafa is looking for compo from the powers that be for suffering this loss, if he gets a favourable response, could the move still be on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

IMO Kewell will be sold on, as was said there is a lot of players in the side who can play that position, so given the circumstances one of them has to go. With Kewell being so injury prone, on a huge wage (60k sterling a week iirc) and likely to command the biggest fee, he will be shipped out and Gonzales will take over that position.

As i said, I have seen Gonzalez in action twice now (in Spain and Landsdowne) and a lot on tv watching real sociedad, and imo is twice as good as Kewell. He chips in with a fair few goals and can take a good freekick so will improve that department aswell. Im only worried about him adapting to the premiership and the physical side, but will win us a lot of freekicks in dangerous position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

Any links ? Where did you get the info, nothing on Lfc.tv or ss..

It has not been released to the media yet. He had a medical on Thursday and has went round the training ground and facilities etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

sad to see Didi go. Suppose we actually need central mid now as cover!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement