Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

i personally am currently of the same mind as bannor was when he said crouch's name was just being bandied around to show fayenoord we were prepared to look elsewhere if kuyt wasn't to be sold, and it does seem to have gotten the ball rolling which saw interest in crouch disappear immediately. Also explains why they were willing to make the first 5 million bid but not improve on it in the slightest when southampton said make it 7. if were really interested surly would have come back with marginally improved offer. after all when does anyone make their true max bid on the first go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

I really don't think Figo would be suited to the premiership. There's no doubting he's a very skillful player but he would get the crap kicked out of him in England and he's already fond of hitting the deck when there's minimum contact playing in La Liga. My 2cs anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭midget lord

where do people get his idea of players getting the **** kicked out of them? We are not in the days of the crazy gang anymore, just look at Ronaldo (the young pretender), or Pires, or Duff ,or Robben, or any other skillfull player currently in the premiership. Figo adds something that liverpool have been lacking for a couple of seasons; Quality set pieces.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

crouch scored his fair share of 6 yarders and dodgy goals out of them 12. does anyone really believe that crouch will be a valuable asset to the team?

Figo adds something that liverpool have been lacking for a couple of seasons; Quality set pieces.

true, we havnt had a good swinger of a ball since gary macca.

riise is fine for the left but figo would be unreal on the right!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

oops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Branners

Figo would be a very good signing.........for nothing.
    I mean we don't have a winger as good as him at the minute, and don't anybody even try and say Harry the waster is any use, coz he's being in hiding for the last two years!

Figo would be perfect for a year or two till we bring in some yuong lads, once his wage isn't too big I'd say rafa will take him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Figo is a lot slower than Duff and Robben, which is why he would be likely to get caught more in tackles. I still think that Liverpool wont get much out of him next season if he is signed. I would have liked to have seen him a couple of years ago. He certainly has skill, but not the legs. A winger needs pace, and lots of it. Liverpool do need a winger, but Figo is not the right choice imo. There must be a young lad in Europe who is willing to run up and down the line and get in reasonable crosses, ala McAteer when he was at Bolton and MacManaman.

As for Crouch, I reiterate that he would be a waste of funds. Liverpool do not need a Niall Quinn-like targetman, as good and all as that may be at times against the likes of a Birmingham.

Other tidbits:

Liverpool are likely to resist an approach from Metz for Carl Medjani.
    The France Under-21 international spent last season on loan with Ligue 2 side Lorient and impressed with his performances at that level.

Rafa Benitez is keen to see the 20-year-old defender first hand in training sessions with the Merseysiders and is thinking about retaining him in his squad for what promises to be an arduous season

Liverpool retain a passing interest in Real Madrid's unsettled Galactico, Luis Figo, but the Portuguese midfielder would have to drop his pay demands dramatically to secure a move to Anfield.
    Fresh reports have claimed that Anfield officials had opened discussions with Figo's representatives.

But Reds chief executive Rick Parry cooled transfer talk over the midfielder today.

He confirmed there could be an interest in bringing Figo to the club, but not while his wages remained at a prohibitive £90,000 per week.

There was no official comment on Steven Gerrard's contract situation, but talks are believed to be starting this week. No comment will be made by any of the parties concerned until there is a resolution.

Boss Rafael Benitez, meanwhile, is continuing to scour Europe for striking reinforcements.

Priced out of moves for his first choice targets Dirk Kuyt at Feyenoord and Peter Crouch at Southampton, he was reported today to have switched his attentions to Lyon forward Sidney Govou.

Chief executive Parry said, however, that a deal for the 25-year-old was "very unlikely."

Goalkeeper Jose Reina is expected to complete his £8m move from Villarreal before the July 6 Champions League qualifying round deadline, making him eligible to make his debut against Total Network Solutions if necessary.

I have to get it off my chest. Redspider, i find your posts condescending and incredibly boring.
    Figo is a lot slower than Duff and Robben, which is why he would be likely to get caught more in tackles.
    I would have liked to have seen him a couple of years ago. He certainly has skill, but not the legs. A winger needs pace, and lots of it.
    Liverpool do need a winger
    As for Crouch, I reiterate that he would be a waste of funds. Liverpool do not need a Niall Quinn-like targetman, as good and all as that may be at times against the likes of a Birmingham.

We traditionally struggle against the 'likes of Birmingham' look at the stats, look at who we lost against last season? Exactly the teams crouch scores against.

Also, dont get me wrong, im not trying to annoy you or anything, you make some good contributions to the this forum, so get your feet back on the ground.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

The "New Zizu" Bruno Cheyrou has been loaned to Bordeaux for a year with a view to a permanent move to the club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

While Im not delighted with the Figo signing (if it goes ahead), there is no doubting the mans talent.

I dont think his game was every about pace anyway, more about raw skill. He is a far better player techniqually than someone like Duff or Robben, who have always relied more on pace. His long range shooting and crossing are both suberb. He is also a reasonably big lad, so I dont think the physical side will shirk him, and sure he sure knows how to dive if the going gets rough.

I dont think we will see much of a prima donna attitude either. Benetiz wont stand for it, and he is at a new club which has a huge pedigree. It is a new challenge for him, he will want to succeed. The wages being claimed are hardly enormous. It is a totally different kettle of fish than if he signed for someone like West Ham or even Middlesboro/Newcastle.

As regards Crouch, Im glad it doesnt look like Liverpool will be signing him. He is a useful player, but not a player of the quality that Liverpool are aiming for. I havnt seen any of Kuyt, but I trust Benetiz's judgement, and his record in Holland speaks for itself.

I have to get it off my chest. Redspider, i find your posts condescending and incredibly boring. Also, dont get me wrong, im not trying to annoy you or anything, you make some good contributions to the this forum, so get your feet back on the ground.

Normally I dont respond to "personals", but ok, lets make a deal, you ignore my posts and everyone can ignore yours. Anyone disagree?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I have to get it off my chest. Redspider, i find your posts condescending and incredibly boring.

to be honest no one cares what you think about his posts. Theres a ignore button, so use it if you dont want to read his posts.

Lads, crocuh isnt moving to liverpool so no point in debating it. I think kuyt is there number 1 target, The links to other strikers are only being made to tell Feyenoord not to get to greedy, as they wont stand for it and will just go somewhere else.

FIgo and Zenden can only be good signing. There gree and we need the squad coverage. Again, there wages wont be massive. Figo wont act the bollox, as he knows he needs to play to be in with a chance o making the Portugal World cup squad. Zenden will be an exceelent squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

I would be quite happy with both Zenden and Giannakopoulos if both deals come off, they were two players who I admired last season. They'd be really good additions to the squad and they both have premiership experience, plus Zenden's on a free and Giannakopoulos is going for less than £2m. Can't go wrong IMO, once their wages aren't excessive though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

The Sidney Govou and Patrice Evra stories are both agent led.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

i'm not too enthusiastic about any of the players been even rumoured to be on the way in. especially coming off of the champions league win. if liverpool cant attract better players than the crop thats been linked to us so far (rumour or not) then i see another season fighting for 4th.

theres a big difference between fighting for 4th, and competing for the championship and finishing up 4th

zenden is good at boro, key word "good". i dont think i've to say anything about crouch. stelios would be a good squad player to have as a right winger, but when you compare him to the right wingers the top 3 teams have i think it says it all about liverpools potential signings so far. sub standard in regards to the top 3.

reina is a player i'm happy to see come to pool, but not while we have dudek there. having reina and dudek there does nothing for scot carsons growth.

kuyt has a good record in the dutch league, so i'll look forward to seeing what he can do.

i'd like to have seen some movement on a bid for aimar, militio and vincente or players of similar ability.

so far all the players being linked with us would be good squad members, but i think we need a top central defenter, a top right winger, the left side depends on kewell and how he fairs in the coming season. i dont see the need for a new striker as much as benitez does but then i'm not benitez :)

i trust rafa's judgement, but its hard to see liverpool making the step up with the players we seem to be moving on. just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

ide be happy to get Stelios and Zenden especialy at the price's being talked about. 2 million and a free respectavly is good business for 2 international players who both have lots of european and premiership experience and are the right side of 30.

Figo would not be a good idea the last thing the club needs is an ego like his.
    he could prove to be a very disruptive influence especially if he wasnt starting.

redspider wrote:
    Normally I dont respond to "personals", but ok, lets make a deal, you ignore my posts and everyone can ignore yours. Anyone disagree?

Validate me, validate me!

el rabitos wrote:
    i'm not too enthusiastic about any of the players been even rumoured to be on the way in. especially coming off of the champions league win. i trust rafa's judgement, but its hard to see liverpool making the step up with the players we seem to be moving on. just my 2 cents.

I agree. Zenden wont really add to the 1st eleven. I cant see him suddenly changing his style and being a brilliant player. He is another ordinary player and Liverpool have plenty of those. And Arteta wouldnt really help. Kuyt may add if he is a better finisher than Cisse and a better creator than Baros. A bit expensive perhaps but better money than say Douf was and probably the best of the bunch. I think with 4 fit strikers such as Cisse, Baros, Morientes and Kuyt vying for places and with a heavy schedule that would be a good attack line imo. Ok, no Ronaldo or Shevchenko but we cant afford 40m as you rightly point out that other positions need coverage.

Does anyone know of a good winger, there are probably more right sided available?

Btw, some photo's of training from yesterday:
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N149200050628-1325.htm

I see that Diao is training. I think he woud be a good CB if he was cultivated properly. He is good in the air and has some pace, which Hyppia doesnt. Defence is all about practice so can be taught to some extent.
    And is that Kewell? When-o-when will Benitez see the writing on the wall with Kewell and put us and Kewell out of our misery? I think even having him in the squad is disruptive!

Redspider

i wouldnt mind jenas coming our way, http://www.teamtalk.com/teamtalk/News/Story_Page/0,7760,2483_546725,00.html

might be a bit expensive though, and he's played on the right wing for england. under rafa he could become a brilliant player!

juanfran is good stuff too, we could get him on loan for the season, help nuild our midfield big time!

• Advertisement

Zenden in Melwood for talks this morning, according to BBC Radio 5.

A little more on that here.

I dont think Liverpool have done so well so far, when compared with other teams in the transfer market. The CL win is perhaps a "yoke around the neck" which may be hampering signings.

For example, Liverpool have so far acquired no-body, yet have "let go":
    Bruno Cheyrou (loan)
    Alou Diarra (undisclosed)
    El-Hadji Diouf (undisclosed)
    Jon Otsemobor (released)
    Richie Partridge (released)
    Mauricio Pellegrino (released)
    Vladimir Smicer (released)

Meanwhile, clubs like Tottenham have done business by getting in:
    Tom Huddlestone (£2.5million)
    Aaron Lennon (undisclosed)
    Wayne Routledge (undisclosed)
    Paul Stalteri (free)
    Teemu Tainio (free)

ok, they may not be great players, but Liverpool are the only club who have not acquired a single player apart from Wigan, according to a site I read. I realise the transfer market is a bit like dominoes or "musical chairs" and moves should happen soon, but Liverpool so far have not been a leader in the transfer market which is a bit of a worry.

The next two weeks of transfers are crucial to Liverpool's plan next year.

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

erm liverpool cant announce a cuple of definate signings until 1 july, dont worry there will be plenty to come, alos of the players listed that were let go how many premiership/cl games did they play last yr between them 0, there loss is unimportant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

why can't they? everyone else is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I expect a rush of signings from July 1 to July 6 (regisration deadline for CL first round)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

redspider wrote:
    I dont think Liverpool have done so well so far, when compared with other teams in the transfer market. The CL win is perhaps a "yoke around the neck" which may be hampering signings.

Stop panicing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Im delighted with Liverpools dealing in the transfer market so far. They may not have officially signed anyone, but there are a couple of players (Kuyt/Zenden/Reina) who appear to be in the bag.

Also Hamann will not be going, and it looks the same with Gerrard.

But most importantly

Bruno Cheyrou (loan)
    Alou Diarra (undisclosed)
    El-Hadji Diouf (undisclosed)
    Jon Otsemobor (released)
    Richie Partridge (released)
    Mauricio Pellegrino (released)
    Vladimir Smicer (released)

Are all gone. Get the deadwood out and take Le Tallec with you on your way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

TheMonster wrote:
    why can't they? everyone else is?

I think that everyone has just sealed deals but no-one has actually transferred yet cos they can't until July 1st

At least i think thats right !! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,303 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

thats what i thought, afaik reina is at anfield but cant be unveiled yet

wonder can we get rid of diao?

Also what do people think of using Sinama on the right wing? i really think the kid could have a future there, lets face hes not going to be a top class CF

Cyrus wrote:
    Also what do people think of using Sinama on the right wing? i really think the kid could have a future there, lets face hes not going to be a top class CF

Personally i think that that is his best position. He has bags of pace and skill and he isn't afraid to take people on. There is only 2 things that would worry me if we have with him on right wing,
    1) the lack of cover he would provide finnan with and
    2) he would tend to drift into the centre alot.

He would have to work on both of these areas of his game but they are fixable
    1) ala duffer at chelsea this season, you can learn how to defend
    2) if he is told/made to just hug the sideline and get crosses in

We got €3m for Diarra, source. I read somewhere else that we got £1.98m, so thats about right.
    I agree. Zenden wont really add to the 1st eleven. I cant see him suddenly changing his style and being a brilliant player. He is another ordinary player and Liverpool have plenty of those.
    Meanwhile, clubs like Tottenham have done business by getting in:
    Tom Huddlestone (£2.5million)
    Aaron Lennon (undisclosed)
    Wayne Routledge (undisclosed)
    Paul Stalteri (free)
    Teemu Tainio (free)

ok, they may not be great players,

In trying to be civil, do you think Zenden is better than any of the above signings? None of these guys will be first team, bar Routledge who is a possibility.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Huddlestone will be first team, quality quality player.

Assuming 4-4-2 you think he will start before a flat 4 of Davis-Mendez-Carrick-Reid?

Yeh I do, this guy is serious quality, and is going to be in the English first team within two years as the new DMC that they have desperatly cried out for

• Advertisement

I doubt it PHB. Lampard & Gerrard are the central midfield partnership for england for the next 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

I doubt it PHB. Lampard & Gerrard are the central midfield partnership for england for the next 5 years.

not when England get a manager with the cop on that they need 1 of the above with a defensive midfielder or both alongside a defensive midfielder bu not both on their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Did you watch England against any decent team like France, Portugal, Poland or even Austria and away to Azerbaijan with those 2 in the centre. Then did you see how good they were in the US with Carrick in the centre? If I were Sven I'd have Carrick in without a shadow of a doubt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

eirebhoy wrote:
    Did you watch England against any decent team like France, Portugal, Poland or even Austria and away to Azerbaijan with those 2 in the centre. Then did you see how good they were in the US with Carrick in the centre? If I were Sven I'd have Carrick in without a shadow of a doubt.

Dead right, Carrick is exactly what the england team needs. If he was at one of the big three he'd be established in the England team now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

ianomccabe wrote:
    Dead right, Carrick is exactly what the england team needs. If he was at one of the big three he'd be established in the England team now

Who are these big three you speak off?

• Advertisement

Who are these big three you speak off?
    lol

The english first eleven is generally picked by the public though. There would be mass histeria is either SG or FL were dropped, from liverpool & certain parts of London respectively. Lampard was player of the season, SG captained his club to european honours, they are currently the best midfielders in england. Their game will adapt.

It hasn't though. And its been given time, and its going to result in the loss of the world cup.
    It is similar to playing say Zidane and Ronaldinho in midfield.
    Obviously Lampard and Gerrard are more defensive, but not hugely so, and certainly not in the class of Keane/Vieira/Makelele at it.

Once they fail at this world cup, SGE will be let go, and a proper manager will take over, which they havn't had for a long time.

PHB wrote:
    It hasn't though. And its been given time, and its going to result in the loss of the world cup.
    It is similar to playing say Zidane and Ronaldinho in midfield.
    Obviously Lampard and Gerrard are more defensive, but not hugely so, and certainly not in the class of Keane/Vieira/Makelele at it.

they have played a handfull of games together in the centre.

Once they fail at this world cup, SGE will be let go, and a proper manager will take over, which they havn't had for a long time.

I agree with this at least!!

The english first eleven is generally picked by the public though. There would be mass histeria is either SG or FL were dropped, from liverpool & certain parts of London respectively. Lampard was player of the season, SG captained his club to european honours, they are currently the best midfielders in england. Their game will adapt.
    Well if Sven is afraid of the "mass histeria" he shouldn't be in the job. After England's performances in the US with Carrick in the middle their was a few people on SSN in favour of playing a proper holding midfielder in the centre from now on. Anyway, Gerrard and Lampard wouldn't be dropped, even Beckham wouldn't have to be, Joe Cole could.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Well if Sven is afraid of the "mass histeria" he shouldn't be in the job.

I couldnt agree more, but it has been like this for some time with the english national side.

Anyway, Gerrard and Lampard wouldn't be dropped, even Beckham wouldn't have to be, Joe Cole could.

If everyone is fit the side should look something like:

Robinson
    Cole-Ferdinand/Carragher-Campbell/Terry-Neville(?)
    Beckham-Gerrard-Lampard-Cole
    Owen-Rooney

Realistically, this is not going to change to much over the next year and will most probably be the side we will see line out for their first world cup game, barring injuries etc. Of course, their is a shout for a number of players to get into that side, SWP for instance, who imo would do a better job on the Right or the left than either Beckham or Cole.

Anyway, this is completely off topic, but interesting nonetheless.

If everyone is fit the side will look like this:

Robinson/Kirkland(unlikely)
    Neville - Ferdinand - Terry/Carragher/Campbell - Cole
    Beckham - Lampard - Gerrard/Carrick(unlikely)/- Cole/SWP/Richardson(unlikely)
    Owen/Defoe(unlikely)/Smith(unlikely)/Johnson(very unlikely now in CHamp) - Rooney

Sven loves Ferdinand, he also loves Lampard and Beckham and Rooney.
    Cole and Neville are clearly the best full backs, and he will choose between Terry/Carragher/Campbell for the other spot.
    I think Richardson will make enough of an impression to get into the squad personally, but I'm a united fan. Cole is only gona get to play if Robben and Duff are injured, thus he won't actually have first team football.
    SWP will of course be in with a shout, but he is right sided, so if Richardson impresses he's actually got a shot.
    Same for Owen, he is going to be not first team a lot, unless he can secure something, which looks very unlikely considering Robinho is very close to joining. Defoe or Smith if they have good seasons could get in, maybe even Johnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

"Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,081 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Just to kickstart this thread back in the right direction;

Apparantly Miguel wants to go to Spain so not good for us.
    Why in gods name are we not going for Boa Morte?! Apparantly the toon are putting in a 3million bid for him, which he is def worth more then. Think hes a fantastic player and would really be a step in the right direction, and also affordably! Cold prob be got for 5mill id imagine..

Pablo Garcia who was said to be a target of the pool has decided to join Real Madrid

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement