Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

So next season the formation might be something like this ?

Reina

Finnan---Hypia/Agger---Carragher/Paletta ---Risse

Alves(?)
    Gerrard
    Sissoko/Alonso---Gonzalez/Kewell/Zenden

Bellamy/kuyt(?)---Crouch/Fowler

Surely Gerrard, Sissoko and Alonso should be first choice in the middle...maybe they will play 4-5-1 with Gerrard playing between the midfield and the strikers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

p.pete wrote:
    BBC finished their program a few minutes ago saying there's rumours of Torres coming to the Premiership - they didn't mention a club but certainly Liverpool are one of the clubs he's linked with. It was only a passing comment in reference to the fact that they'll be showing the Spain game later - but I don't mind letting my imagination run away with me :)
    It's also been reported that he's house hunting in manchester but athletico are looking for 20+million, and i wouldn't be sure if any premiership club would be willing to spash that much for him. All will be revealed post world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

PHB wrote:
    Why in the hell would Chelsea be after Bellamy? Anyone? Any ideas?
    Well if it was a "better" player, such as Torres or someone, I could easily imagine Chelsea buying him just so nobody else can have him. But I doubt they'd be too worried about Bellamy.

I'm quite worried myself about the formation next year. The only reason we could fit Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko in the squad last season was obviously because Gerrard was on the right. If Alves becomes the first choice right winger in a 4-4-2(4-4-1-1?), that means dropping either the creativity of Alonso or the defensive qualities of Sissoko. Hard choice, but a nice problem to have depending on the opposition and situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

If Liverpool have sprung the exit clause then they and any other club who offers over it are entitled to talk to him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

If Alves becomes the first choice right winger in a 4-4-2(4-4-1-1?), that means dropping either the creativity of Alonso or the defensive qualities of Sissoko. Hard choice, but a nice problem to have depending on the opposition and situation.

I think it means a signal of going to a 4-5-1, with Alonso-Gerrard-Sissisko and Alves on the right, Gonzalez on the left, and for the moment, Bellamy up front.
    Crouch providing the option of switching to a 4-4-2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

PHB wrote:
    Why in the hell would Chelsea be after Bellamy? Anyone? Any ideas?

Hmm, we're dropping Crespo cause he's not good enough, mmm, let's replace him, with, mmm, Bellamy!

I thought Crespo was going back to Italy anyway?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

There would only be one reason Chelsea would be after Bellamy and thats to deprive a rival of picking up a quality striker on the cheap. If Bellamy has a brain in his head, he will consider the fate of SWP, the last player Chelsea bought just to keep him out of opposition hands....

the last player Chelsea bought just to keep him out of opposition hands....

Obi Mikel is now the last after SWP

Chelsea have never targetted Liverpools signings so far, and I doubt Mourinho thinks Bellamy alone is going to turn them into a premiership winning side.

If Chelsea do decide Liverpool are a threat, they will stop the big name striker that is probably being planned for this summer, e.g. Kuyt

DaBreno wrote:
    There would only be one reason Chelsea would be after Bellamy and thats to deprive a rival of picking up a quality striker on the cheap. If Bellamy has a brain in his head, he will consider the fate of SWP, the last player Chelsea bought just to keep him out of opposition hands....

That's if he is really going. All the papers were claiming that a Steven Reid transfer was as good as done last week but now he's signed a new 4 year contract like MGP.

I've yet to see a direct quote from Bellamy saying he wants to leave Rovers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

PHB wrote:
    If Chelsea do decide Liverpool are a threat, they will stop the big name striker that is probably being planned for this summer, e.g. Kuyt

just because a player is foreign, it doesnt make him a "big name signing", kuyt has done nothing in the grand scheme of things.

its not a matter of chelsea taking bellamy because liverpool want him, he's 6 million to whoever activates the clause, then its his own choice where he goes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Rovers have confirmed it on their website. It'll be a great bit of business if he moves to Anfield for such a paltry fee, considering he scored 17 goals in a mid-table team last season. When the likes of Andy Johnsen, who wasn't even top-scorer in the Championship costs £8.5million, you've got to be happy with the fee. The only cavaet is Bellamy's temperament, but I'd have no doubt that Benitez can and will get the best from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

I guess we've proof now about that 6m buy out clause. Everyone seems to have known about it but just not admitted to it.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?HLID=396617&CPID=8&title=BELLAMY+TO+HOLD+LIVERPOOL+TALKS&lid=&channel=Premiership&f=rss&clid=5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

In terms of the bidding 'war' for Bellamy. Chelsea could easily make an offer in terms of salary that would make it hard for the player to refuse. I read that "Blackburn are reported to have offered Bellamy a new contract in excess of £50,000 a week but the suggestion is the player will actually take a pay cut to move to Liverpool, the club he supported as a boy".

Bellamy wont be the first or the last player to join Liverpool because he was a boyhood fan. However, many such signings fail to live up to expectations as the dream can be bigger than the reality. If Liverpool have to pay 50k a week for his services, that will mean something like a total 4-year deal cost of 6.5m + 10m sal. Lets say that he (his registration) will be worth 3m after that, so overall a 13.5m cost for him for 4 years.

Given our current situation in lacking in fire-power, I think we should go for him. But can he play with Crouch. Bellamy has pace, Crouch will find it difficult to keep up.
    PHB wrote:
    Chelsea have never targetted Liverpools signings so far, and I doubt Mourinho thinks Bellamy alone is going to turn them into a premiership winning side.

The Chelsea factor is there with nearly every signing of every major player. Every agent contacts Chelsea to see if 'their player' can be made an acceptable offer. It is also in Chelsea's interest to buy more players than they need, thus depriving competitor clubs of those player's services, Wright-Phillips was a classic example of that. Also, it is in Chelsea's interest to be in the bidding mix to up the prices of players that other teams buy and thus eat into other clubs funds. Chelsea are working on an unlimited budget basis and other clubs are not and their current actions are distorting the football transfer market. They are the only club that can afford to pay 20m for a player, pay them in the region of 4m salary a year, and let them sit on the bench and do so on purpose. Chelsea is Abramovich's "plaything" or "toy" when it comes to money.

Mourinho doesnt need Bellamy, in fact, the Chelsea squad as it stood at the end of last eason didnt need any new signings and probably would have won the premiership next season anyway.

Chelsea are buying players this year to win the CL. That must be the priority for them next season and that means a lot of changes in players. I think Bellamy is more a premiership type of player than CL, so in that sense, I dont see him as a target. But I would not be surprised to hear of Chelsea in the mix even if their sole purpose is to create chaos.

redspider

zing wrote:
    I guess we've proof now about that 6m buy out clause. Everyone seems to have known about it but just not admitted to it.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?HLID=396617&CPID=8&title=BELLAMY+TO+HOLD+LIVERPOOL+TALKS&lid=&channel=Premiership&f=rss&clid=5

I'm just hoping the move collapses now because of his attitude, much like Liverpool's move for Bowyer years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Lemlin wrote:
    I'm just hoping the move collapses now because of his attitude, much like Liverpool's move for Bowyer years ago.
    How has his "attitude" gone down at Blackburn?

But I would not be surprised to hear of Chelsea in the mix even if their sole purpose is to create chaos.

That is normally the selling clubs doing, in order to raise the transfer price. There is no incentive to do that this time since he has a set price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

PHB wrote:
    That is normally the selling clubs doing, in order to raise the transfer price. There is no incentive to do that this time since he has a set price.
    but they can offer an inflated salary

Yeh, but how would that benefit Blackburn?

it wouldn''t but Chelsea would be causing chaos by getting the player interested

Oh ok, so you think Chelsea will step in of their own accord?

Why would they do that? They have never systemically targetted Liverpools targets in the past. Furthermore, Bellamy could read that play in literally two seconds, as could the entire football world. Do you think anybody in the world thinks Chelsea would want to sign Bellamy?

This Chelsea issue is a non-story.
    If Liverpool have made a bid, Bellamy will be a Liverpool player, unless he gets a chance to talk to Benetiz that is

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    This Chelsea issue is a non-story.
    If Liverpool have made a bid, Bellamy will be a Liverpool player, unless he gets a chance to talk to Benetiz that is
    I was thinking something similar - he will prob want reassurances about playing and where he will be playing(he won't to be another Cisse - stuck on the wing). Benitez has been known not to tolerate disruptive influences(Owen,Murphy,Diouf, Cisse) so its a bit of a surprise he in interested in Mr Trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

This will be Mr Troubles last chance of playing for a top club, if he messes it up he'll not get another chance. Hes also cheap :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

i have to admit i would be pretty pleased if we got Bellamy at £6 million.
    for the price he would be well worth it.
    ok i know he's a handful with all his off field and on field antics but since he left Newcastle he seems to have been doin ok on that front.
    I would be inclined to agree with people who say it was half his fault and half Souness's fault what happened there, Souness has a track record in those situations.

I would be fully expecting Rafa to lay it on the line from the start that he wont take any **** at all.
    Bellamy is the type of forward we need, pace, quality control, finishin, eye for a pass, and a willingness to run all day!

He showed all these attributes for Blackburn last Season scorring a decent 13 in 22 in the league.
    The injury problems would be more a worry to me than temperment.

my 2 cents

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    How has his "attitude" gone down at Blackburn?

No problems but then Hughes knew what to expect. He'd worked with Bellamy in the past. Benitez hasn't and, as mentioned, is known not to like disruptive influences.

Bellamy is hardly shy and retiring....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

From a purely objective viewpoint...

I'd like to think Bellamy has learnt something from his last year at Blackburn. He's scored goals and got his place in the team (when fit) by knuckling down and applying himself. The fact that he's attracted attention from among others Liverpool, Spurs (and ManYoo?) should have highlighted for him the benefits of a professional approach to the game.

I'd like to think...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭The Rooster

CONFIRMED: Blackburn have accepted the Liverpool bid.

From the Liverpool website:
    Liverpool have been given permission by Blackburn Rovers to begin transfer talks with striker Craig Bellamy.

The Welsh international has been identified as a target by manager Rafael Benitez and the Reds have now made a bid to bring the 26 year old to Anfield.

"We have made a bid for the player and have now been given permission by Blackburn to speak to him." said a Liverpool spokesman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

From a purely objective viewpoint...

I'd like to think Bellamy has learnt something from his last year at Blackburn. He's scored goals and got his place in the team (when fit) by knuckling down and applying himself. The fact that he's attracted attention from among others Liverpool, Spurs (and ManYoo?) should have highlighted for him the benefits of a professional approach to the game.

I'd like to think...;)
    Didn't he get into a fight in cardiff a couple of weeks ago? i could be mistaken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Didn't he get into a fight in cardiff a couple of weeks ago? i could be mistaken
    Yup, sounds familiar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

No money for Kuyt according to echo..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

You've also got to remember that he had terrible injury problems with Newcastle, missing for alot of seasons there. Has he got over them, or was he injured much last season?

astrofool wrote:
    You've also got to remember that he had terrible injury problems with Newcastle, missing for alot of seasons there. Has he got over them, or was he injured much last season?

He missed quite a few games last season. Only started about 20 league games but he looked to have gotten over his injury problems towards the end of the season. It was between September and Christmas that he had most of his problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lemlin wrote:
    He missed quite a few games last season. Only started about 20 league games but he looked to have gotten over his injury problems towards the end of the season. It was between September and Christmas that he had most of his problems.

All of which makes his 17 goals all the more impressive. £6million for Bellamy is a no-brainer - it's just too good value to turn down. When you consider that Championship standard players like Andy Johnsen cost £8.5million, the Bellamy isn't even a risk at £6million.

All of which makes his 17 goals all the more impressive. £6million for Bellamy is a no-brainer - it's just too good value to turn down. When you consider that Championship standard players like Andy Johnsen cost £8.5million, the Bellamy isn't even a risk at £6million.

That's it exactly but I'm still hoping this deal doesn't go through. Come on Craig, throw a strop :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

enter cat amongst pigeons. Fairly reputable site not known for talking sh'te

http://www.lfconline.com/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=285775

enter cat amongst pigeons. Fairly reputable site not known for talking sh'te

http://www.lfconline.com/news/loadnews.asp?cid=TMNW&id=285775
    Cool, we need more than 1 striker and Torres seems out of reach - I'd settle for that and Bellamy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've read that Kuyt/Bellamy is the master plan, with Crouch/Fowler the other pairing.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Kraptalk are reporting that Bellamys agent has hinted that the deal might be done as soon as tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

I'd be surprised if you get Kuyt for £10million, when its rumoured they turned down a bid of £12million from Spurs not so long ago.

Aren't Newcastle interested in him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

(If true)IMO an excellent signing. One right-sided midfielder and an offloading of some offal and a real challenge to Chelsea is next season. If we didnt have those two periods of goal drought I reckon we'd have been a lot closer this year

If the season had started in October Liverpool would have won the league! Sadly it did'nt!

Mike.

• Advertisement

I heard from a Feyenoord fan that they're in desperate need of a right back so perhaps if we offered Kromkamp it might sweeten the deal for them?

Would make sense we don't actually "need" Kronkamp.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Would make sense we don't actually "need" Kronkamp.

Mike.
    Yeah, true. But I would like to see him stay at Anfield. He's meant to be very highly regarded and he could come good next season, given the chance. (though in reality anyone was gonna look good compared to Josemi)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

I'm feeling fairly confident for the season coming. If we do get kuyt, bellamy and alves, along with gonzalez, paletta and aurelio all joining hopefully, then the team should be able for a proper title challenge. Fingers crossed for the deals to go through.

One must remember, that while currently Liverpool have an excellent defense, the return to attacking ways with the introduction of two decent forwards and wingers who are actually quite good at goign forward, alters the balance of the team, and the defense will be weaker, and more accurately, require more pace.

Another PHB gem.

Mike.

PHB wrote:
    One must remember, that while currently Liverpool have an excellent defense, the return to attacking ways with the introduction of two decent forwards and wingers who are actually quite good at goign forward, alters the balance of the team, and the defense will be weaker, and more accurately, require more pace.
    You're saying that if Kewell spent a bit less time on the pitch it'd effect us defensively? Grow up - any change in personel to a team naturally is going to bring with it a change in balance.

No, it brings an overall change in balance. When a team becomes more attacking as whole, which Liverpool will with the introduction of Alves Gonzalez Bellamy and Striker X, the team will become more attacking as a whole. Liverpool's defense will suffer as a result, with players like Finnan and Riise(assuming) will get forward more. It will mean more attacking on the break, and Liverpools defense do lack the pace to deal with it currently, although Agger isn't too slow if he does begin to partner Carragher

It will be a very different Liverpool side we should see next year, and last year's preformance will have little to do with next years preformance.

Sissoko Sissoko Sissoko (there's only one but he plays like 3).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

PHB wrote:
    No, it brings an overall change in balance. When a team becomes more attacking as whole, which Liverpool will with the introduction of Alves Gonzalez Bellamy and Striker X, the team will become more attacking as a whole. Liverpool's defense will suffer as a result, with players like Finnan and Riise(assuming) will get forward more. It will mean more attacking on the break, and Liverpools defense do lack the pace to deal with it currently, although Agger isn't too slow if he does begin to partner Carragher

It will be a very different Liverpool side we should see next year, and last year's preformance will have little to do with next years preformance.

your posts are becoming more and more forest gump like everyday.

who knows how liverpool will play next season, finnan and gerrard on the right wing last season was pretty attacking if u ask me.

benitez might employ a more concervitive(sp?) counter attack style next season, who knows.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement