Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Kewell should stay as he can play as a foward and can patrol the right flank too if required. Zenden might find he is the one who gets shunted off which would be unfortunate, though with Hamann apparently going we will need an extra body for cover in centre of midfield.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

If someone did leave i would say it would be Zenden, as unfair as it would be for him, UNLESS someone actually came in with a reasonable bid for Kewell (was a lot of links earlier in the summer so spain, but these seem to have died down). All of this is of course pending Gonzalez actually getting his permit. im kidna worried about that, its dragging on a bit...

Also Welcome to Bellers, delighted with the move (especially the price!!) he's already been edited into my Liverpool pro Evo team and is doing the business beside crouchy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I can't believe the price some people are quoting for Kewell. He went to Liverpool for 5 million. Since then he's been playing worse than ever and has suffered from quite a few injuries.

People plucking figures like 6 to 8 million out of their heads are insane IMO. Not that long ago 'Pool supporters would have took the hand off someone offering their 5 million back.

A few good games doesn't make him the player he was at Leeds. I think Dunphy even pointed out that he was anonymous in Australia's first game in the WC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

To be fair kewell has been injured for alot of his time at liverpool.It was only this season once he was injury free that we saw a glimpse of what kewell can do.

It was no suprise that he scored the vital goal for austrailia yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Lemlin wrote:
    Not that long ago 'Pool supporters would have took the hand off someone offering their 5 million back.

i'd still take it. Hope he has a great match against Italy - and who knows - maybe beyond. Then we should cash in on what has been a very very disspointing signing.

Cut our losses. I doubt we'll ever see Leeds era Kewell again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

selling harry kewell would be stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

selling harry kewell would be stupid.
    I'd not lose any sleep over him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Lemlin wrote:
    I can't believe the price some people are quoting for Kewell. He went to Liverpool for 5 million. Since then he's been playing worse than ever and has suffered from quite a few injuries.

People plucking figures like 6 to 8 million out of their heads are insane IMO. Not that long ago 'Pool supporters would have took the hand off someone offering their 5 million back.

A few good games doesn't make him the player he was at Leeds. I think Dunphy even pointed out that he was anonymous in Australia's first game in the WC.

Everyone thought the 5 million we bought for him was a robbery, even more so then bellamy. Unfortunatly it hasnt turned out that way.

I think going on his performances last season he would definitly get 5 million. There arent many left wingers around of his quality.

Your not paying money for the player he was at leeds, your paying for what is now. 6-8 is probaly pushing it, but i wouldnt sell him for less then 5.

Dunphy said it? oh well then..

Ronaldhino was pretty poor in his first game aswell, and his second actually.

been drinking have we Chucky ?

really have to read through my posts before submitting them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Lemlin wrote:
    And what of my old friend Jivin Turkey? He's remaining remarkably silent on the subject.
    I have better things to do than lurk the internet trying to get into arguments. In fact I'm only back from the World Cup myself a couple of days.
    Lemlin wrote:
    I remeber him slagging off not just Bellamy's attitude but his fitness record too.
    And rightly so, not his attitude on the pitch but off it, and as for his fitness, how would you rate a player's fitness who has only once played over 30 league games since the 98-99 season?
    Lemlin wrote:
    Wonder what he thinks now that his beloved Liverpool have splashed the cash? Not that I think they have, 6 million is a steal.
    I think it is a good signing, particularly compared what Liverpool have spent their money on in recent times.

Bellamy has a decent record at Premiership level, but far from amazing, one thing is for sure though is that he will give his all on the pitch. I also think RB will be more than a match for any off-field antics that may arise.

Maybe Liverpool will finally give him some stability to prove his worth, as he still has plenty to prove. I'm exited because I think he is a decent player, and definitely an improvment on the current squad.

Happy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I think we will hold onto Zenden as he can play very well in the middle and were short in thet department if Didi moves on

I have better things to do than lurk the internet trying to get into arguments. In fact I'm only back from the World Cup myself a couple of days.

And rightly so, not his attitude on the pitch but off it, and as for his fitness, how would you rate a player's fitness who has only once played over 30 league games since the 98-99 season?

I think it is a good signing, particularly compared what Liverpool have spent their money on in recent times.

Bellamy has a decent record at Premiership level, but far from amazing, one thing is for sure though is that he will give his all on the pitch. I also think RB will be more than a match for any off-field antics that may arise.

Maybe Liverpool will finally give him some stability to prove his worth, as he still has plenty to prove. I'm exited because I think he is a decent player, and definitely an improvment on the current squad.

Happy?

LOL. Who said I was looking for an argument? I simply wanted your opinion because I'm finding it very humorous how a number of 'Pool supporters who didn't rate Bellamy at Blackburn suddenly think he's a good player.

You and Chucky the tree are two who particularly talked out against him so I'm just wondering what your opinion on the player is now.

Have a clap on the back for being at the World Cup though. Hope you enjoyed yourself :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lemlin wrote:
    LOL. Who said I was looking for an argument? I simply wanted your opinion because I'm finding it very humorous how a number of 'Pool supporters who didn't rate Bellamy at Blackburn suddenly think he's a good player.

Indeed when a Bburn player he wasnt rated now he is, tbh Pool play 60 games a season its a shame Bellamy only plays 20.

kdjac

Lemlin wrote:

You and Chucky the tree are two who particularly talked out against him so I'm just wondering what your opinion on the player is now.

Last season would you of thought darren bent was good enough for Blkacburn? i doubt it. However i am sure this season if you could get him for 6million you wouldnt turn it down.

He was never an excellent goalscroer at Newcastle. Its very hard to judge him on his performance in Celtic because of the league. I still have serious question marks over his attitude.

Anyway i already gave my opinion on the transfer.

Last season would you of thought darren bent was good enough for Blkacburn? i doubt it. However i am sure this season if you could get him for 6million you wouldnt turn it down.

I would of took Bent actually. Knew he was a great striker because I'd seen him play for the England U21s when I was watching Stead. That's why I had him in my FF team at the start.

Kdjac, I reckon he'll be far fitter next season and won't suffer from injuries as much. He was grand at Blackburn after Christmas. Players with pace often suffer from injuries like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lemlin wrote:

Kdjac, I reckon he'll be far fitter next season and won't suffer from injuries as much. He was grand at Blackburn after Christmas. Players with pace often suffer from injuries like that.

Since being th ePl he ahs played 20 games a season or thereabouts, when in SPL he played a lot more. Maybe theres a reason there.

Great player with a natural ability to finish but doesnt play enough.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

KdjaC wrote:
    Great player with a natural ability to finish but doesnt play enough.

kdjac

I rate Bellamy very highly and miss him but his finishing really lets him down. I remember games for Newcastle where he'd be put clean through four or five times and missed them all or only scored one. He has slightly improved that aspect of his game tbf. What he's great at is running and creating space/ chances for others. He literally never stops running even if he's chasing a lost cause and his electric pace frightens the bejaysus out of defenders. He'll win lots of penalties for you especially at Anfield. In his first season at Newcastle he scored about 15 in total but was involved in just about everything going forward (although we did play very attacking football at the time). Easily our most influential player when he played despite the amount of clear cut chances he failed to convert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

My mate supports Newcastle and he is gutted Bellamy is going to Liverpool. They'd have him back in a flash especially now that Mikey is crocked til Jan.

Lemlin wrote:

You are.

You're trying to goad a reaction out of people, how can you deny that when you are naming individual posters? Both of us have given our opinions yet you are still "just wondering what our opinion is".

I never said Bellamy was a crap player, I always maintained that he has fitness problems and is involved in too many off-field incidents. I don't think he is the messiah because he has joined Liverpool, but I think the fans will definitely warm to him once he keeps his nose clean.
    Lemlin wrote:
    Have a clap on the back for being at the World Cup though. Hope you enjoyed yourself :rolleyes:
    Yes look at me I'm great. Thanks, but I already knew that.

• Advertisement

You are.

You're trying to goad a reaction out of people, how can you deny that when you are naming individual posters? Both of us have given our opinions yet you are still "just wondering what our opinion is".

I never said Bellamy was a crap player, I always maintained that he has fitness problems and is involved in too many off-field incidents. I don't think he is the messiah because he has joined Liverpool, but I think the fans will definitely warm to him once he keeps his nose clean.

Yes look at me I'm great. Thanks, but I already knew that.

Chillaxe. I'm not trying to goad anything out of people. I just find it funny that a number of people have changed their opinion of Bellamy since he changed clubs. I think Kdjac summed it up perfectly when he said "Indeed when a Bburn player he wasnt rated now he is".

You are two Liverpool supporters who particularly spoke out against Bellamy so I was wondering what you thought now that he had signed for your club. I'm sure you would ask the same of me if Blackburn signed Traore or any such Liverpool player that I have criticised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,917 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Lemlin, it is goading, and is the same thing as what Hobart was doing in the JOM thread a while back.

Of course some 'pool fans won't be ecstatic, or mightn't 100% want Bellamy to have joined. But now that he is there, then they will 100% hope that he can be the signing to turn their strike force around.

I'm sure if you go back through enough threads, you can find people saying derogatory things about every player, and then use that when that player gets linked to their club.

Ultimately the pool fans want Liverpool to appear to be and then be the best team, as do fans of all clubs, and they'll paint players of other clubs in bad light, and you'll see all the stereotypes of each player after each bad/good match.

Lemlin wrote:
    I'm not trying to goad anything out of people. I just find it funny that a number of people have changed their opinion of Bellamy since he changed clubs.
    Like who?

I don't see anyone raving about how amazing he is. Just plenty of people saying that it was good business at £6M.

To change the topic, I see Dudek has got most of his stolen stuff back.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Just wondering, after the WC preformance by Kuyt, do any Liverpool fans still want him?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I missed the Dutch game against Argentina, so the Portugal game was the first time I seen Kuyt playing and I must say on that performance he is not someone I want to see playing for Liverpool. He dived several times, showed no composure when 1v1, seemed one paced and in general didn't look great.

I know this could just have been a once off as I have not seen him play before. Can anyone offer any more evidence other than stats or hearsay in his defence?

mike65 wrote:
    To change the topic, I see Dudek has got most of his stolen stuff back.

Mike.

linky?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

linky?
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/5112610.stm
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/merseyside/5113946.stm

I said it in the Portugal v Holland thread, but I'll say it again... I never want to see Kuijt near a Liverpool jersey after his WC performances. While I don't like divers, I accept it's part of the game... but this guy is just pathetic at it. Shockingly obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ye i have watched Kuyt in all his world cup performaces and im not impressed one bit. He looks like the sort of player that will chip in about 8 goals a season, but Liverpool need a more prolific goalscorer. His one on one with Ricardo was a terrible effort and he seemed to want to go out wide the whole match. No way is he worth 10million on them performances, although this may mean we could get him cheaper if we were to go for him.

Although Van BAsten put him in the side ahead of RVN in a crucial match which must mean he is convinced of his quality and he is meant to have a great attitude which is very unlike most Dutch footballers.

He is also incredibly ugly. I just had to point that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

PHB wrote:
    Just wondering, after the WC preformance by Kuyt, do any Liverpool fans still want him?
    No is the short answer. He's looked decidely average in terms of skill and composure. Can't fault his work ethic but thats hardly going to set the world alight.
    <Dream>I say forget all the other signings including the right winger and splash the cash on a Torres bid. I bet Gerrard would be happy to be a right winger for another season if a world class talent (not world class player yet, but looks damn close) was brought to the club </Dream>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

After Argentina Match:
    PHB wrote:
    He (Kuyt) was being played out of position in a Dutch team which isn't providing enough supply to the front line, so it's unsuprising he looks ****e.

After Portugal Match:
    PHB wrote:

He was equally bad in position, as out of position, and he looks ****e cause his parents looked ****e :)

i'd like very much for kuyt to be signed,
    for sure.

looks like Rafa is getting p***ed off with the way the Alves deal is going.

Kuyt is Shuyt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

looks like Rafa is getting p***ed off with the way the Alves deal is going.

He is just tryin to force the transfer. After all Alves has said he wants to go to Liverpool so they are resigned to losing him. Hopefully it won't turn out to be figo-esque with it failing due to Rafa not paying a million or 2 above his estimation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭The Insider

PHB wrote:

I would never base my opinion of a player based on the world cup along, remember Diouf???

If you were looking at the english team for the first time you wouldn't want Carragher in your team as he has not looked impressive being played out of position in a team not playing well, but we all know how important a player he is to Liverpool.

Its too early to judge Kuyt, he actually looks like a traditional centre forward to me in the few times I have seen him, works hard, uses the ball well, good in the air, strong with some pace. He has scored a lot of goals in the Dutch league this season (30 odd???) I think he would be a success at Liverpool and I hope we buy him. IMO nobody in the Dutch team looked impressive in the world cup but that does not mean they are all crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

TBH you could say the same about RVN performances (or lack there off) in this WC. It's silly to judge a player on the basis of 2 or 3 games.

It's not his skills I'm judging, as I didn't see any evidence of them... it's his general attitude. He's not the kinda player who will endear himself to the Liverpool fans. Of course if he started banging goals in left right and center, that wouldn't matter much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Looks like Rafa is trying to light a fire under Seville. I doubt they will call his bluff, he has a track record of telling clubs where to go if they drag their heels like this.....

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?HLID=398361&CPID=8&title=Rafa frustrated by A lves move&lid=&channel=worldcup2006&f=rss&clid=14

PiE wrote:
    It's not his skills I'm judging, as I didn't see any evidence of them... it's his general attitude. He's not the kinda player who will endear himself to the Liverpool fans. Of course if he started banging goals in left right and center, that wouldn't matter much.

thats complete rubbish,
    he would be adored at liverpool,
    he is exactly the kind of player who would endear himself to the fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,446 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

i suppose you are right....Crouch is much loved after all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Tauren wrote:
    i suppose you are right....Crouch is much loved after all.

Honest endeavour will only get you so far. There's no doubting that he does try his best and is a willing worker, but for a 10 million player you need an end result and I'm not so sure he's capable of providing it. And if he doesn't produce the crowd will eventually start to get on his back. Crouchy is a special case and is given liberty's that Kuyt won't be given.

Even when one on one with a dodgy keeper last night he didn't look like scoring. The fact that he does so much work outside the area is also suspicious. The best players in his position never had to do that, they concentrated on the job in hand and for what they were there for. He might be a 20 a season player in Holland, but so was Kezman, and look what happened to him.

thats complete rubbish,
    he would be adored at liverpool,
    he is exactly the kind of player who would endear himself to the fans.
    Oh, ok then.

Alves... I'm still not convinced he's worth all the effort thats gone into signing, let alone the consistantly rising transfer fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

PiE wrote:
    Alves... I'm still not convinced he's worth all the effort thats gone into signing, let alone the consistantly rising transfer fee.

Neither does Rafa. A lot of sites report he is expressing doubts about the move, probably to force this to a conclusion. Go on Rafa!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Feyenoord must be gutted about not selling Kuyt til after the wc now

True enough. Simao is back on the agenda maybe the Benfica president says he'll listen to offers. (14 million!)

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

lads i think simao would be better for liverpool than alves although i don't know how the fans would react after his goal for benfica against us last year

if it was a cheeky tap in i'd resent him for it but you cant dislike someone who scores a goal of that class against you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

yea you can. a goal is a goal no matter how good or bad it looks and it was the goal that wrecked our gameplan that night which in turn led to us handing back OUR trophy

I think you'll find it was the fact that we couldnt score :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement