Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

looder wrote:
    lads i think simao would be better for liverpool than alves although i don't know how the fans would react after his goal for benfica against us last year
    You can't blame the guy for that...he was a Benfica player that night...would you rather he apologised after scoring..?

Whats happening with Gonzales permit?

I had a dream last night he made $hit of Man U at Old Trafford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

looder wrote:
    lads i think simao would be better for liverpool than alves although i don't know how the fans would react after his goal for benfica against us last year

do you remember michael thomas?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhnMHdOciag&search=michael%20thomas%20scores%20arsenal%20

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Wenger said on French TV, that he's been looking at Kuyt for a while and he's impressed with him, hinting that Arsenal might make a bid - says Sporting Life

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152733060626-1456.htm

Looks official about next week being the deadline for speedy!
    It would be a shocking result if he didnt get the permit, he fits all the requirements now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

He doesnt, the international team's position in the top 70 is averaged over 2 years, in this case Chile only just in the top 70 so they still are outside it.

Its a bit stupid.

Its a different case this time however as its not a loan its a full move for the lad and he played quite a lot in Spain last season.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Guardian mentioning a swap deal..Cisse for Fred

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

the answer to right side?
    http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=398037&CPID=23&clid=632&lid=10&title=Aimar+set+for+Valencia+exit

Would love to see him in the red of the pool.
    I still think he's quality and remember all to well the damage he did to us in the Chamions league when we played Valencia.
    He wont be to dear either if there trying to get rid of him

Straight swap for Fred?

Surely some kind of cash + Fred deal.

I would value him for €7,000,000 tops.

Emmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I think Liverpool were already offered Aimar and they turned it down? Could be wrong but I think I read that in this thread... somewhere.

Edit: It says in that link that Liverpool already "dropped out of the race" to sign him.

Another surplus player to go ? Cheyrou this time. No mention of a transfer fee but I doubt if it'll be too much..

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?HLID=398822&CPID=8&title=Rennes+close+on+Cheyrou&lid=&channel=Premiership&f=rss&clid=150

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

zing wrote:
    Another surplus player to go ? Cheyrou this time. No mention of a transfer fee but I doubt if it'll be too much..

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?HLID=398822&CPID=8&title=Rennes+close+on+Cheyrou&lid=&channel=Premiership&f=rss&clid=150

did we not get rid of him last summer to some french team

another one of houliers "next zidanes":confused: .. that man couldn't have made any more bad signings if he tried

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

looder wrote:
    did we not get rid of him last summer to some french team

Yes,but only on loan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭shatners basoon

T&#225 wrote: »
    do you remember michael thomas?

He went one worse though by costing us the damn league, wonder if he ever got forgiven for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

He went one worse though by costing us the damn league, wonder if he ever got forgiven for that.
    doh - they signed him afterwards:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

with boro announcing that viduka will be allowed leave for 3m i wouldnt be shocked if rafa makes a move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Viduka Has had a very good world Cup!! I wonder if we could swap him for Djimi T.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

with boro announcing that viduka will be allowed leave for 3m i wouldnt be shocked if rafa makes a move.

not even Houllier would be that stupid!

Sky are reporting that Cisse to Marseille is still on and the clubs are negotiating a fee. Does this mean Rafa is definately looking to sign a second striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

emc2 wrote:
    Viduka Has had a very good world Cup!! I wonder if we could swap him for Djimi T.

So one carthorse out, another in?? :D Rafa would never go for him, Viduka would only add to our shameful history of brutal players signed on a WC performance. Although Phil Babb would take some beating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

yom 1 wrote:
    not even Houllier would be that stupid!

Sky are reporting that Cisse to Marseille is still on and the clubs are negotiating a fee. Does this mean Rafa is definately looking to sign a second striker.

A second striker? needs to get a first one and then work out the second one:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Big Nelly wrote:
    A second striker? needs to get a first one and then work out the second one:p
    would you not consider Bellamy a striker?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    would you not consider Bellamy a striker?

Would you consider a joke?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Big Nelly wrote:
    Would you consider a joke?
    yes.... a joke ... i see

*CLAP CLAP*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

looder wrote:
    another one of houliers "next zidanes":confused: .. that man couldn't have made any more bad signings if he tried
    at least he didn't make the mistake Sounness made and buy a player thinking he was George Weahs cousin....that was classic. Ali Dia I think the guys name was...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I think its fair to say bye bye Djimi "Champions League Winner" Troare

\o/:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Nonsense! We'll need cover at centre-back

oh wait...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Also Riise, it's clear that Benetiz doesn't rate him as first choice left back or first choice left winger, so I guess he's just gona be a squad player playing all along the left.

It's a pity really, I think in a 5-3-2 formation with wing-backs he is one of the best left wings backs in the world, but does any club play with that formation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

surprised by people reactions to viduka,
    as for myself i've been calling for him to be signed for years every since that hat-trick or was it 4 goals i cant remember to well.
    he's a good player and again at 3 million its nice to know what you're buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

problem with riise is that he has no right foot. my theory is that it was amputated years ago and replaced with a piece of wood. some left foot though but we need a more complete player for left back and hopefully aurelio will be just that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Jesus no thanks to Viduka.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Jesus no thanks to Viduka.

Yeah one "big boned" "selectively injury prone" aussie in a team is enough.
    Surely he's got "typical newcastle buy" written all over him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Stky10 wrote:
    Yeah one "big boned" "selectively injury prone" aussie in a team is enough.
    Surely he's got "typical newcastle buy" written all over him?

I can hear Glen Roeder calling him "the new Alan Shearer".

striker, nobody wants him, over 30

lads i can see him in his bolton kit now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Bolton..home of ne'er do wells, misfits and past their primers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

and do alrighters for them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bolton..home of ne'er do wells, misfits and past their primers

and home to Didi Hamann very soon :(

Mike.

did's different. he's served his time and proved himself as a footballer.

i'll not have any jokes associating didi and bolton. yes he'll be wearing their jersey next year but he's still a red. he's future manager material that our kids will aspire to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

T&#225 wrote: »
    did's different. he's served his time and proved himself as a footballer.

i'll not have any jokes associating didi and bolton. yes he'll be wearing their jersey next year but he's still a red. he's future manager material that our kids will aspire to!

Amen :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Didi will be a good signing for Bolton. They should get 2 good seasons out of him.

Things are looking better for next season. We're well stocked in central midfield. And left back now seems to be sorted with the signing of Aurielo. We just need to get this right wing sorted - I'd like to see us sign Pennant regardless of whether or not we get Alves. I think he would fit in well with our team and would be a useful squad member.

Oh and one more forward please, a top quality one...

So just to check,

Liverpools new signings, or proabable new signings,

LB - Aurielo (?)
    LW - Gonzalez (work permit)
    RW - Alves (target)
    Striker - Bellamy (signed)

If all those come in, and all of them work out, Liverpool only need a CB and a World class Striker to become a challenging team imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Simao Sabrosa and Pennant are still more than probable.

PHB wrote:
    So just to check,

Liverpools new signings, or proabable new signings,

LB - Aurielo (?)
    LW - Gonzalez (work permit)
    RB - Alves (target)
    Striker - Bellamy (signed)

If all those come in, and all of them work out, Liverpool only need a CB and a World class Striker to become a challenging team imo

I doubt we'll sign another CB after getting Paletta. Also, I think you'll find Alves will operate at right midfield next season.

Yeh RW, sorry, edited.

Paletta? Is he the young argentinian. If he is, I think Agger is a better prospect myself, but I don't think anyone of them are of the quality required for Liverpool.
    They need somebody who can do Hyypia's job, i.e. reading the game next to the tough english style defender of Carragher, but they'll need pace next season, cause they are gona get attacked on the break a lot more I feel.

---

Just an aside, does anyone else think that maybe Benetiz will drop Finnan, play Alves as a RB, and leave Gerrard on the right wing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

PHB wrote:
    Paletta? Is he the young argentinian. If he is, I think Agger is a better prospect myself, but I don't think anyone of them are of the quality required for Liverpool.
    They need somebody who can do Hyypia's job, i.e. reading the game next to the tough english style defender of Carragher, but they'll need pace next season, cause they are gona get attacked on the break a lot more I feel.

Aye... that would be him

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/4715264.stm

From the very small amount I've seen of Agger he looks kind of dopey, like he needs to concentrate more and do what he does quicker than he does it at the moment. From that article Paletta seems more an old style player, and will need time to settle in. They should loan him out for a while so he gets some games under his belt pretty quickly and gets adjusted to the english game.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    I think Agger will turn out to be a fine player for us in the long run but I don't see him being much more than a squad player next season. With Paletta also onboard (I don't know much about him but anyone is an improvement on Traore) I'm not too worried about our central defense for next season.
    Just an aside, does anyone else think that maybe Benetiz will drop Finnan, play Alves as a RB, and leave Gerrard on the right wing?
    I hope not. That would make no sense whatsoever.

I'm not too worried about our central defense for next season.

While Agger and Paletta are good prospects, do you think the partnership of Carragher and Hyypia can keep up? Hyypia is getting older and older and his distinct lack of pace is a problem, and will be magnified next year with Liverpool becoming a more attacking team. I think Rafa needs to sign another CB, and I get the impression that he is trying to.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote:
    a World class Striker to become a challenging team

cos they are a dime a dozen really...
    :rolleyes:

Alves can play RB and RW
    Gerrard can play RW and CM and in the hole
    Auriello can play LB and LW
    Paletta can play LB and CB
    Agger can play CB
    Bellamy can play RF and CF
    Gonzalez can play LF and LW

This could see Liverpool play lots of different formations such as 3-4-3 , 3-5-2, 4-4-2, 4-2-3-1 , 4-3-3 which is the way Benitez wants it.

Remember against Newcastle he played 3 CBs because he knew that Sami could match Shearer in the air and then he would need Agger's pace to mop up the knock downs. Worked a dream.

What we will see is a Liverpool side when formations change and adapt depending on the team we face and the players we have fit. Possibilities and Options as Rafa says.

five of the best formations, assuming Alves signs with Auriello and Gonzalez gets him work permit. Thats only 3 new players from last season. 2 of which have already signed.

4-4-2
    ...............Reina

Finnan Hyppia Carra Auriello

Alves Gerrard Alonso Gonzalez

...........Crouch Bellamy

Dudek
    Agger
    Riise
    Sissoko
    Fowler

3-4-3
    ...............Reina

.......Carra Hyppia Agger

Alves Gerrard Alonso Risse

Bellamy......Fowler......Gonzalez

Dudek
    Finnan
    Auriello
    Sissoko
    Crouch

3-5-2
    .....................Reina

............Carra Hyppia Agger

Alves Gerrard Alonso Sissoko Auriello

............Bellamy......Crouch

Dudek
    Finnan
    Kewell
    Gonzalez
    Fowler

4-2-3-1
    ...............Reina

Finnan Hyppia Carra Auriello

.........Sissoko Alonso

Alves .......Gerrard.........Gonzalez

...............Crouch

Dudek
    Agger
    Riise
    Bellamy
    Fowler

4-3-3
    .................Reina

...Finnan Hyppia Carra Auriello

.....Gerrard Alonso Sissoko

Bellamy.......Fowler.........Gonzalez

Dudek
    Agger
    Alves
    Kewell
    Crouch

as you can see if you signed another striker in there like Kuiyt or Villa and maybe someone like Simao instead of Alves if we cant get him we would be very handy and adaptive.

Emmo

PHB wrote:
    While Agger and Paletta are good prospects, do you think the partnership of Carragher and Hyypia can keep up? Hyypia is getting older and older and his distinct lack of pace is a problem, and will be magnified next year with Liverpool becoming a more attacking team. I think Rafa needs to sign another CB, and I get the impression that he is trying to.

I don't agree at all. Hyppia and Carra managed fine last season, and the season before that! Agger deputised for Hyppia last season, allowing him to rest from time to time, and Pellegrino was signed for the same purpose the season before. I think Hyppia and Carra will start most games again, with Hyppia being rested from time to time in the latter half of the season.

Hyppia was never the paciest of players, even when we first signed him, and he's not going to be much more slower this season than he was last season. We play an offside system, where we hold a high defensive line and our keeper acts as a sweeper. As a defender you don't need bags of pace to successfully implement this type of system. If we adopt a more attacking style next season, I'm sure the back line will just hold a higher line.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement