Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

i love when hyppia gets out paced and make a crazy lunge at a player who inevitably falls, the look on Sami's face does be priceless...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

That is the thing about Riise, whenever he played, the offside trap worked, whenever Warnock or Traore played, they would inevitably play the attacker onside by not keeping to their position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

astrofool wrote:
    That is the thing about Riise, whenever he played, the offside trap worked, whenever Warnock or Traore played, they would inevitably play the attacker onside by not keeping to their position.

I agree, I think it's because he likes to get forward so usually is ahead of the other three. The other two guy have concentration issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Koptalk (i know, i know) are reporting that Liverpool and Sevilla have agreed a price for Daniel Alves.

Good news if true.

*edit* also with Fabio Aurelio looking likely to sign - that will be two Brazilians in the squad next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

BBC wrote:
    Liverpool midfielder Bruno Cheyrou has joined Rennes for an undisclosed fee.
    The 28-year-old ex-France international has spent the last two seasons on loan to Marseille and Bordeaux, despite being on Liverpool's books.

And on Friday he finally ended his association with Anfield permanently after agreeing terms with Rennes.

Cheyrou was a £4.5m signing from Lille by former Reds manager Gerard Houllier but struggled to make his mark in the English top flight.

He made a total of 48 appearances, scoring five goals.

Well there is some deadwood gone - probably not for much but it adds to the kitty.

Also from the beeb's gossip page "Liverpool have set their sights on World Cup stars Hatem Trabelsi and Dirk Kuyt. (Daily Express)" I didn't think Trabelsi was that good - he played alrite but no eye catching preformances imo

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Koptalk (i know, i know) are reporting that Liverpool and Sevilla have agreed a price for Daniel Alves.

Good news if true.

Excellent news - if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

as.com reporting we've agreed to pay EUR 15m for Alves - only thing left to squabble over is how it's paid

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/trurl_pagecontent?lp=es_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.as.com%2Farticulo%2Ffutbol%2FSolo%2Fforma%2Fpago%2Ffrena%2Fventa%2FAlves%2FdasftbA00%2F20060630dasdaiftb_22%2FTes%2F

And there's some reports linking us with Trabelsi -
    http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1809648,00.html
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=17313651%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=liverpool%2dmonitor%2dtunisian%2dstalwart%2d-name_page.html
    those reports seem to suggest he'd be instead of Alves but given that he'd be on a free I wouldn't be too surprised to see him in addition to Alves. Signing 1 RW/RM would be great but 2 would of course be much better - esp with one on a free.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

zing wrote:
    those reports seem to suggest he'd be instead of Alves but given that he'd be on a free I wouldn't be too surprised to see him in addition to Alves. Signing 1 RW/RM would be great but 2 would of course be much better - esp with one on a free.

I've only ever seen Trabelsi play as a right back. He's very attacking though. The gruniad seems to be suggesting that his arrival would mean Kromkamp going to Ajax. Seems odd to buy two players for right midfield who have spent most of their time recently playing at the back. Trabelsi is also 29. And looking at the Ajax website it looks like they've already signed a romanian right back for next season. Looks more like their trying to force Seville into agreeing a price than this being a serious option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Great timing this, with his visa application to be decided next week....
    Chile and Liverpool midfielder Mark Gonzalez has quit international football at the tender age of 21, after a dispute with the coach.

The young winger was sent home from the team's European tour by boss Nelson Acosta in May for a breach of discipline.

Both he and team-mate Reinaldo Navia were axed from the squad after being found with three girls in their rooms 24 hours after their friendly win over the Republic of Ireland.

Gonzalez was outraged with the treatment and has always protested his innocence, and has therefore now taken the matter into his own hands by retiring.

"I am not going to continue. I am not going to wear the national shirt again and I don't have to give any explanations to anyone," he told Radio Cooperativa.

"Now the only thing I am thinking of is to keep doing my work in England.

"All that has been said about me during the national team's European tour has hurt me a lot.

"Now it's over and I don't want to talk anymore about what happened but I am sure of two things.

"I am not going to play for the national team again and I don't have to apologise to anyone like the coach pretends to make me do."

The fiery Chilean impressed on loan at Real Sociedad from January last season, he scored five goals in 12 starts for the team.

But Anfield boss Rafa Benitez is anxious to have him at Liverpool as the club prepare for another imminent assault on The Premiership title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

nah he's standing his ground thats fair enough.

• Advertisement

Ardent wrote:
    Great timing this, with his visa application to be decided next week....

As far as I remember they have two plans of attack with this. If the visa application fails, he'd be a resident of spain long enough to apply for a spanish passport. But yeah, timing wise it wouldn't be the best.

all these foreigners...danny murphy must be doin his nut

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Its not a particularly good sign regarding his character that he's throwing his toys out of his pram. While he showed plenty of glimpses of ability in Lansdowne Road, I also felt he was the least hard working of all the Chileans on the pitch. Hopefully Rafa will sort him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

We've given up on Alves and going for Pennant ?
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=17315552%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=pennant%2dis%2dnew%2dreds%2dtarget-name_page.html

Or we're letting Sevilla think we're not interested in the hope of getting them to budge a bit on their demands ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

zing wrote:
    We've given up on Alves and going for Pennant ?
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=17315552%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=pennant%2dis%2dnew%2dreds%2dtarget-name_page.html

Or we're letting Sevilla think we're not interested in the hope of getting them to budge a bit on their demands ?
    Could be a smokescreen by Rafa. Only time will tell though.
    Oh well at least we have tomorrow to look forward to. Should be 3 unveilings, I think. Bellamy, Aurelio and Paletta?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Slurms wrote:
    Could be a smokescreen by Rafa. Only time will tell though.
    Oh well at least we have tomorrow to look forward to. Should be 3 unveilings, I think. Bellamy, Aurelio and Paletta?

bleedin knew the alves transfer wouldnt happen...why? because it would have been a top signing and benifitial to the club in the long term and he's a top player.

if you pay peanuts, u get monkeys.

penant + ballamy vs ballack and shevchenko.....theres no comparison, i'm sick of parry

end rant

el rabitos wrote:
    penant + ballamy vs ballack and shevchenko.....theres no comparison, i'm sick of parry

jesus when u put it like that....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Alves + Kuyt vs ballack and shevchenko is still no comparison, so who do you suggest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Get someone to give Liverpool almost unlimited funds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You could setup new managers and buy all the crap liverpool players for lots of money, and sell/swop each teams star players on free transfers.

Works in Fm2006

Get someone to give Liverpool almost unlimited funds.

its nothing at all to do with getting a random billionaire to be the clubs sugar daddy. i'd go as far as to say i'd hate to have chelsea artificial success. its about making the most of the clubs assits as they are.

*most succesfull british club
    *2005 champions league winners
    *huge fanbase

theres plenty more i'm sure, those are just the ones that stand out. now you'd think that liverpool, holding the tag of being most successful british club would be able to attract bigger sponsorship deals and attract good investment.

but

its been over 2 years now that liverpool have been looking for the "right" investment in the club, i can understand that finding someone that will run the club right is hard to find.....but over 2 years is a joke.

arsenal practically had their stadium paid for by emirates, and liverpool are struggling to make up enough money to move into a measly 60,000 seater stadium when man u are expanded now to almost 80,000

whoevers making the decisions at pool needs a good swift kick in the a$$ because they are clearly not making the most out of what they have and the struggle is showing in a major way when the club cant stump up an extra million or 2 for a young player that would be a huge boost to the squad

seriously like, did ANYONE scout players like cheyrou, diouf, diao?

10 million for diouf? 4.5 for cheyrou? who the hell sanctioned this crap and why has this person still got a job? no, not houllier, parry

I don't think Emirates paid for Ashburton. Arsenal have been paying for it for years and are in debt to a few hundred million odd because of it.

But yeah, Moores and Parry seriously need to look at themselves and decide whether them staying is in the best interests of the club or of themselves. Is their preference for new investment being for a minority investment going to allow the club to expand as it could/should. Winning the champions league was an unbelieveable opportunity to make a giant step forward but they've seriously dropped the ball. Most of the time you can't even buy most of the products for sale on the official website because they're out of stock. Meanwhile the cost of the new stadium keeps increasing, and the debt level keeps increasing (to approx 70m now its claimed). It can't continue for much longer..

But as for Diao, Diouf and Cheyrou, I'd imagine they were scouted to the same degree as most other signings. But maybe because of the trophies that were won the previous season the board didn't question to the same degree the use of so much money on almost complete unknowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

el rabitos wrote:

seriously like, did ANYONE scout players like cheyrou, diouf, diao?

10 million for diouf? 4.5 for cheyrou? who the hell sanctioned this crap and why has this person still got a job? no, not houllier, parry

:rolleyes: Think about what you are saying. Really think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Its not a particularly good sign regarding his character that he's throwing his toys out of his pram. While he showed plenty of glimpses of ability in Lansdowne Road, I also felt he was the least hard working of all the Chileans on the pitch. Hopefully Rafa will sort him out.

Yes but it has taken a few weeks for this to happen. Not exactly over-reacting.

rondeco wrote:
    :rolleyes: Think about what you are saying. Really think about it.

i have thought about it. its parry that rubber stamps these transfers, the price of a player can only go so high before u start questioning the amount being paid.

diouf had played a few seasons in the bleedin french league. the idea of ANY player leaving that league for more than 10 million is a bit of a joke tbh

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

el rabitos wrote:
    the idea of ANY player leaving that league for more than 10 million is a bit of a joke tbh

Cisse :p

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,918 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Liverpool's strength has always been in the home grown talent, very few signings have ever become better and worth more at Liverpool, than they cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Most of the good buy-ins spent nearly thier whole England career at Anfield.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

According to The Mail,Pennant is back on the menu after Simao and Alves respective clubs fann*ing about over price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

watching Simao tonight V England he looks very good, maybe he'd be a good option

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

nurse_baz wrote:
    watching Simao tonight V England he looks very good, maybe he'd be a good option

What I have seen of him he hasnt been that good or worth 10 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

i agree. Hasnt impressed me at all. However i wouldnt really pay huge attention to world cup performances. Look at england, most of the players would struggle in the eircom league based on their performances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

i dunno, been watching them play throughout and I liked him but I'd certainly agree that he's not worth the 12 mil ( i think) that was being bandied about in Jan window

Interesting snippet here suggesting Hamann may not be signed by Big Sam.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Just heard on Sky that Bellamy has been charged with assault dating back to 5th Feb in Cardiff....FANTASTIC (sarcasm):rolleyes: ....!!!!!!!!!

Old news, it was going to be dealt with sometime and Rafa knew this.

Mike.

that Bellamy has some neck ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

rafa sending condolences over the horrible accident in valencia,

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152783060703-1915.htm

hate to seem inconsiderate but notice fabi aurelio being mentioned,
    definately a done deal?

definately a done deal?

yeah, saw it myself today, i reckon they'll just unveil the new signings together along with the new kit or something. last season the new signings were unveiled together so maybe thats the plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

rafa sending condolences over the horrible accident in valencia,

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152783060703-1915.htm

definately a done deal?

It's been done a few months now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Skysports.com reckons we're in a race to resign Le Sulk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Presume you mean Anelka - it's on icliverpool too but if the asking price is 8mil then we're unlikely to touch him.

when the hell are we going to sign somebody else..aaaaagh

GH OUT!!!

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I see David Raven has left to join Carlisle. I thought he was going to make it, but like so many he never got the chance to prove it one way or the other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

yea, clearly a top class player, thats why hes hitting the heights of mighty Carlisle next season...

yea, clearly a top class player, thats why hes hitting the heights of mighty Carlisle next season...

ha ha lol:D

Nobody is claiming he's a top class player. When given the chance though he really impressed, and if given more of a chance he might have done well and saved the club money. There's no point in having a youth system if you don't give the best it produces a decent chance.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/match/season/2004-2005/dec/454/match_analysis.htm

There's plenty of examples of players being let go by big clubs in the past, and coming back through smaller clubs to make it big. Maybe he'll do that, maybe he won't.

They won the FA Youth Cup this year but how many of that squad do you think will be given a decent shot at making it?. Maybe Hobbs, Anderson, Hamill and the two spanish lads. Thats the best scenario, I'd be amazed if all of them (5) make a single league appearance while they're at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,098 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Paletta's totally officially a Liverpool player now, all formalities finished etc

Source: http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=400647&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=2&title=Reds+complete+deal+for+Argentine

Liverpool have completed the formalities of Gabriel Paletta's switch to Anfield.
    The 20-year-old Argentine, who joins The Reds from Banfield, put pen-to-paper on a four-year contract to end Rafa Benitez's pursuit of the player.

Paletta agreed a deal with Liverpool last February, with the transfer awaiting the rubberstamp this summer.

Benitez beat off stiff competition to land the player, who the Spaniard believes has all the hallmarks of a budding Roberto Ayala.

"Paletta is very tough and he's exactly the sort of player we need who will suit The Premiership," Benitez told the club's official website.

"When you talk about the Argentinian defenders I worked with in Valencia, Paletta is more like Ayala than Pellegrino.

"If you're talking about Liverpool, he's more like Carragher than Sami Hyypia. This is good because we will have a balance in the style of defenders.

"He is a defender with a lot of aggression and we're sure he has a great future. He will learn a lot here, like Daniel Agger, and provide competitiveness in our defence."

Benitez admits Liverpool had to act quickly to sign Paletta, with River Plate registering a firm interest earlier in the year.

"He has attracted a lot of interest from top clubs in Argentina like River Plate and Boca Juniors. River Plate even reserved a number six shirt for him, so we had to move quickly to sign him. We're delighted to have done the deal now," added Benitez.

• Advertisement

Saw that earlier :) Latest Hamann news is that Bolton is off and Man City is on with Barton to Boro.

Giuly was apparently back on the radar but has been offered a new deal.
    MADRID, July 4 (Reuters) - French midfielder Ludovic Giuly will extend his contract with Barcelona until June 2008, the Spanish and European champions said on Tuesday.

"Ludovic Giuly, who had a contract until 2007, will extend his deal with Barcelona for another year," the club said on its website. "The buy-out clause on his contract will remain at 60 million euros ($76.87 million)."

Barca said that the winger, who will turn 30 next week, would sign the new deal on Wednesday.

Mike.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement