Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

But this would not be an issue at that stage anyway due to his spanish citizenship, which I think comes through in the near future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Reina/Dudek/Carson

Finnan/Kromkamp --- Carragher/Palletta --- Agger/Hyypia --- Aurelio/Riise

Garcia/Kewell
    Sissoko/Gerard/Alonso
    Zenden/Gonzales

Crouch/Fowler/Bellamy/Pongolle

I wouldn't consider Pongelle good enough for Liverpool. He struggled for Blackburn and made little impact. I've heard people say that if he was given his chance he'd do well but he was given that at Ewood and didn't perform. Eventually he was dropped again for Dickov.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Maybe so..

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The Mirror today are suggesting that Kewell is now going to be sold on to fund Kuyt and Alves!!
    Bayern and Spurs are rumoured to be interested in him!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think its time to let Harry go,he is to much hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Tank Top Fever!

I'd be willing to let Harry go too

I don't buy into the idea that he's going to get better at all

We should be expecting a lot more for his reputed 70,000 a week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

I see the new liverpool shirt will be released on the 10th August with the away one and the european one a few weeks after that

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/kits/

yom 1 wrote:
    I see the new liverpool shirt will be released on the 10th August with the away one and the european one a few weeks after that

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/kits/

plenty of pics of them on the net, someone here can probably link you too them

Home and away ones are lovely, bit unsure about the "European" kit meself, it's very Fulhamish

I've seen a few pics but thought they were fake - I dont see why the liverpool website doesn't have them up - I mean are they playing wrexham in a friendly on the 15th and surely they'll be wearing them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭dbnavan

Not sure how real this is but
    http://forum.football.co.uk/about6650.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm hoping they use the retro badge I've seen on some sites. Though I won't accept anything as their new jersey until I see it on lfc.tv

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Slurms wrote:
    I'm hoping they use the retro badge I've seen on some sites. Though I won't accept anything as their new jersey until I see it on lfc.tv

the retro badge will never be back, parry as much as said so in one of his recent posts on the official site.

the new one represents the hilsborough tribute and all that so its staying. i prefer the current one anyway.

dbnavan wrote:
    Not sure how real this is but
    http://forum.football.co.uk/about6650.htm

those pics are supposedly kosher

THe Euro one is white with a black design down one side

looks like the Fulham home jersey

seems like we aint after Joaquin after all
    Liverpool have denied fresh reports from Spain that they are set to bid for Spanish winger Joaquin.
    Spanish news agency AS yesterday reported Liverpool were ready to offer £12 million plus a number of fringe players to tempt Real Betis into parting with the highly rated winger, but Reds' chief executive Rick Parry has today insisted the story has no substance.

"It's simply not true," said Parry. "We have no idea where the story came from."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Either that or Rick is using the ould double bluff.

Emmo

• Advertisement

Emmo wrote:
    Either that or Rick is using the ould double bluff.

Emmo

he hasnt got the brain power to pull off a double bluff

he hired Rafa didnt he?

Thats a stroke of genius.

He also got Alonso for £10.5M
    Garcia for £6M
    Reina for £6M
    Crouch for £7M

For every mistake Parry makes he has made an equally excellent move.

Emmo

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Emmo wrote:
    Crouch for £7M
    Are you listing him as an excellent signing? He is overated, can't head the ball, has no pace and is just a target man, albeit he isn't as bad as Heskey was, but I still don't like seeing him in the Liverpool team as I don't think he is of the required standard generally.

Emmo wrote:
    he hired Rafa didnt he?

Thats a stroke of genius.

He also got Alonso for £10.5M
    Garcia for £6M
    Reina for £6M
    Crouch for £7M

For every mistake Parry makes he has made an equally excellent move.

Emmo

excellent moves by rafa, not parry.

would man u or arsenal or chelsea be getting shifted on money installments from their kit makers?

fu(k no

the sooner liverpool are sold on to proper business men the club will be in a better position

Crouch is worth £7 Million no problem.

Great signing, gave us so much last season, when he played we where much better that without him.

I dont know of many Liverpool fans who dont rate Crouch.

Emmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

el rabitos wrote:
    would man u or arsenal or chelsea be getting shifted on money installments from their kit makers?
    Links?

I also seem to remember you having a go at him for not being able to sort out a decent sponsor deal, only for me to provide you with evidence that Liverpool had the second best sponsor deal in the league at the time.

Links?

I also seem to remember you having a go at him for not being able to sort out a decent sponsor deal, only for me to provide you with evidence that Liverpool had the second best sponsor deal in the league at the time.

go read his columns on the official site, its in one of the more recent ones. he said it himself.

if ur trying to tell me liverpool are getting so much money from carlberg, tell me where the carlsberg 80'000 seater stadium is in stanley park?

if pool are getting so much money i dont see where its going, because last time i was in anfield it was almost half the size of old trafford and looked 10 times older and just haggard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

because last time i was in anfield it was almost half the size of old trafford and looked 10 times older and just haggard

then go to old trafford

then go to old trafford

no thanks, i dont like prawns.

my point seems to have blown over ur head

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

likewise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

el rabitos wrote:
    go read his columns on the official site, its in one of the more recent ones. he said it himself.
    I tried and couldn't find it, I'm not familiar with his columns so maybe you could point me in the right direction.
    el rabitos wrote:
    if ur trying to tell me liverpool are getting so much money from carlberg, tell me where the carlsberg 80'000 seater stadium is in stanley park?
    No what I'm trying to tell you is that at the time you claimed that Parry couldn't sort out a decent sponsorship deal Liverpool had the second best in the league, and not far off Man United. And bear in mind Manchester United were a far more marketable product back then.

I also don't see Vodafone or AIG or whatever providing a 80,000 seater stadium for United. Parry's attempt to move Liverpool to a bigger stadium have been held up by much more than money, and things completely out of his control like planning.
    el rabitos wrote:
    if pool are getting so much money i dont see where its going, because last time i was in anfield it was almost half the size of old trafford and looked 10 times older and just haggard.
    I think Anfield is a great stadium, and not far behind Old Trafford at all (capacity aside).

And if you want to know where all the money is going how about next time you are in Anfield take a look at the trophy cabinet.

Liverpool are headed in the right direction at a ferocious speed considering where they were this time two years ago, and Parry has been a integral part of that.

I tried and couldn't find it, I'm not familiar with his columns so maybe you could point me in the right direction.

i'll have a look and see if they have archieves for his columns. basically reebok missed several payments, then the company merged with adidas, now pool are having adidas as the kit makers but under the same deal as the reebok one, liverpool are getting no extra cash, adidas just inherited the deal.

I also don't see Vodafone or AIG or whatever providing a 80,000 seater stadium for United. Parry's attempt to move Liverpool to a bigger stadium have been held up by much more than money, and things completely out of his control like planning.

in fairness, united dont need a new stadium, they've been smart enough to add onto old trafford and refurbish the place.

planning permission has been in place for the new stadium for some time now. but pool have lost out now on 10 million of dontation money recently because they havent secured the funds needed.

i'd also be interested to see what enquires have been made into just building on the current stadium. housing in the area is mostly abandoned, theres noting major from what i could see there stopping them adding to anfield as it is.
    I think Anfield is a great stadium, and not far behind Old Trafford at all (capacity aside).

And if you want to know where all the money is going how about next time you are in Anfield take a look at the trophy cabinet.

Liverpool are headed in the right direction at a ferocious speed considering where they were this time two years ago, and Parry has been a integral part of that.

the trophy cabinet cost all that money?!

i dont think theres any liverpool fan that doesnt love anfield, i love eveything about the place, and the new stadium will pale in comparison to the atmosphere but the stadium as it is, is just becoming a major hinderance tbh. it cant match what man u and arsenal have for match day turn over.

i agree the club has being going in the right direction and maybe parry deserves more credit, but its really a huge time for liverpool right now in terms of what happens to the club

its at a point where i think if theres no investment secured soon, the possibility of groundshare should be looked at again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

el rabitos wrote:
    in fairness, united dont need a new stadium, they've been smart enough to add onto old trafford and refurbish the place.

Anfiled cannot be extended. There is no room.. Arsenal has the same problem with Highbury!!

You are being overly critical here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Anfiled cannot be extended. There is no room..

AFAIK there is room to redevelop Anfield but it's even more cost prohibitive then the proposed new stadium (due to lost gate receipts, etc..). Basically you're talking about rotating the pitch through 90 degrees & knocking a couple of rows of houses along the way (club apparently owns all/most of them already). Then demolishing & rebuilding each stand in turn.

But due to the nature of that particular approach it would take significantly longer and probably cost a lot more.

So physically there should be room - financially there isn't

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

im thinking for next season Liverpool are going to play most of their away matches, all their importent matches (man u, chelski, arsenal etc. ) and alot of their CL games with a 4-5-1, well.... 4-2-3-1
    its the current formation of france, portugal & even england unsuccesfully used it. It seems to be rafa's preferred formation aswell, being able to break down attacks and have speedy wingers capeable of scoring aswell as creative midfield play. defensivly, pool are strong... Agger/carra and hyypia/palleta. the full backs are strong and hard working, but the problem with playing with one up top is that that "1" has to be hard working

Crouch is hard working and quite creative if played to his feet. his height is always an issue, but if the team is playing stupid (england in WC06) then he gets far too many high balls which never really come to anything.

Bellamy could be the answer. He is a proven premier league scorer, something which pool lack in a big way. he is tough and he is hard working when properly motivated (which i believe he will be)

Fowler is a reserve striker atm. he hasnt got pace, but he does have an eye for goal. right now i see him as a super sub type player. he might be able to get a goal when we need it. but he is far from a lone striker.

Cisse seems on his way. i wish him a speedy recovery and feel for him that he is missing the world cup with france being in the final and all. He doesnt suit liverpool and never really settled. his "right wing" role was a joke and u could see his frustration with it every time he played there.

all the talk is of kuyt coming. i wasnt impressed with his world cup at all. he played in a 4-3-3 as the centre striker when he played iirc and this is essentially the same posistion he would play at pool. robben didnt look impressive in Euro 2004 tho and now he is on real madrids wish list. maybe kuyt can come good, he certainly works hard enough for it

all that said, what i would like to see for liverpools next buys is some sort of reserve centre mid. a versatile John O Shea esque player, a handy man.

then the most importent area to improve on if we are going to play with 4-2-3-1, the right wing. Joaquin would be brilliant for here I reckon and would give pool a "star" player which they have bought... not brought up. He has pace, can beat players & can score. he works hard aswell and has a good attitude.. perfect if u ask me, his price may be an issue tho :/

then a striker. is it kuyt tho ? if pool had the luxury of waiting id love to see jaoquin brought in and leave bellamy/crouch/fowler/pongolle as the fowards. then come january if they werent playing well and goals are a problem, go for a centre foward.

it should be interesting to see wat rafa has up his sleeve this summer tho :D

• Advertisement

Alves is still saying he wants to play for Liverpool - well his agent at least

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=401197&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=2&title=Alves+still+hopes+for+Reds+move

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

some good points jazzy...all that written at 4 in the morning...;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Alves over Joaquin any day.

Alves is the type of player who could be a first team player for the next 10 years.

With Cisse missing the World Cup, where do you think he was going to slot into Frances team, I'd say right wing where Ribery is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

France normally play Cisse up front, no? (though the way they've actually been playing reminds me of GHs formations, strangle the midfield and not very positive - if only we had Zidane and Henry when we were playing that crap).

Joaquin rumours could be getting knocked about to create some movement on the Alves front, or vice versa.

barragan's gone to depor for 1.7 million

fairly pissed by this myself.

you buy a young player, he plays well in the reserves/u 18s wins a cup, shows potential, then u sell him?

i was under the impression the club was buying so much youth so it could develop them, instead we're paying 5 million for agger to warm the bench and palletta. bah

loan deal would have been far better, even though theres rumours of a buy back clause. the money better go to getting alves :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

This is the equivalent of a loan deal as Liverpool have a clause where they can buy him back if he looks good enough but we have the money in the kitty from his sale now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

not bad business imo

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Nice bit of business once LFC has the buy back option, get him cheap... sell him on to see how he adapts and learns his trade and have an option to be first to buy him back if he turns into a big hit!! Only thing I would worry about is if there is a set buy back price on him??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

el rabitos wrote:
    i was under the impression the club was buying so much youth so it could develop them, instead we're paying 5 million for agger to warm the bench and palletta. bah
    eh? Agger/Paletta do have youth on they're side, they've got massive potential and can only get better. I must say im loving the look and quality of the backline at the moment - there's an obvious strength in depth now.

But still not so convinced we need Alves for the RW. I think Garcia/Gerrard can still do a great job out there and would love to see a young winger like Anderson is it? maybe playing a couple of games there on the RW.

• Advertisement

SofaKing wrote:
    eh? Agger/Paletta do have youth on they're side, they've got massive potential and can only get better. I must say im loving the look and quality of the backline at the moment - there's an obvious strength in depth now.

But still not so convinced we need Alves for the RW. I think Garcia/Gerrard can still do a great job out there and would love to see a young winger like Anderson is it? maybe playing a couple of games there on the RW.

nah, i agree about agger and paletta, i just dont like the idea of paying 5 million for them when the facilitys are there to bring the players in younger like barragan and develop them at the club.

Agger is a starter for the national team, and has won their young player of the year twice.

Much more potential than Barragain, and currently at a better level.

Would have liked him to stay and getting 1.7m for a reserve/youth player is good business, especially if the buy back clause is included.

Now to offload Djimi and Kewel

kewell is looking to be out for the start of the season :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Barragan handed in a transfer request coz he is home sick. Tis a shame, Rafa played him in a couple of the Champions league qualifiers last July/August and he looked quite competant and seemed a great prospect.

He also joins an elite list of players at Liverpool that made the club a profit when sold.

DaBreno wrote:
    He also joins an elite list of players at Liverpool that made the club a profit when sold.

You mean we actually have a list:eek: :p

We do now

• Advertisement

I severely hope that we own a hefty % of any future sell-on fee the player receives.

zabbo wrote:
    Now to offload Djimi and Kewel
    No evidence to back this up but my guess Djimi is on a seriously inflated wage which makes him hard to sell, otherwise I'd imagine we'd be rid a while ago...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

did everton not want to sign djimi the year before last but rafa but a halt to it as he told djimi he would get a chance to secure a startin place in the team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

looder wrote:
    did everton not want to sign djimi the year before last but rafa but a halt to it as he told djimi he would get a chance to secure a startin place in the team

There was talk of him being sold all right - can't remember who though. IIRC Rafa did tell him that if he stayed he'd get a chance but that was then - we'd little or no cover for left back & central defense back then. Now we've signed a few new players for those positions so that (hopefully ;) makes Traore surplus to requirements. I'll give him one thing - his heart is defo in the right place. He just makes me nervous as hell any time I see him on the pitch..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

p.pete wrote:
    I severely hope that we own a hefty % of any future sell-on fee the player receives.

We have agreed a buy back clause. This lad is one for the future but his progress halted at anfield.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement