Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

I'd be slightly worried about the left side. Two South American's who have never played 'the english style' might be a bit lightweight. Some anorak might be able to get some statistics on the percentage of south americans playing in england who have been a success, but I wouldn't say its high. All of which makes the attempted signing of Alves seem all the bit riskier.

About Riise.. I reckon he might make a decent central midfield player if he got a chance there. He's got a really high natural fitness level, is pretty good in the tackle, passing is ok, and he's got a cannon of a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

suprised so many people are bitching about aurelio. he's a winner. and theres now 2 solid left backs at the club now.

2 million for palleta is a good bit of business, i'd like to see him and agger play a few games this year. there will be another 60 odd games if things go well, so plenty of match time for them hopefully.

it could be worse. at least players wanna join pool. man u havent got a prayer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

el rabitos wrote:
    it could be worse. at least players wanna join pool. man u havent got a prayer :D
    They've got the whole RRR triangle of happiness going on, personally I'm jealous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Stky10 wrote:
    Some anorak might be able to get some statistics on the percentage of south americans playing in england who have been a success, but I wouldn't say its high.
    Solano is one...and who was that other striker Newcastle had in the Keegan era who did the cart wheels?

Asprilla.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

p.pete wrote:
    Asprilla.
    great player- wasn't he supposed to join swindon or some lower league team 2 years ago but switched somewhere else at the 11th hour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Newcastle and Boro really loved thier latin basket cases did'nt they? :)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

in fairness
    there have been a few,
    juninho, gilberto, solano, i'm sure there are a few more,
    the problem was some players were probably being both because of being south american as opposed to actually being suited to the prem,
    i have faith in the south americans we've brought in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

looder wrote:
    great player- wasn't he supposed to join swindon or some lower league team 2 years ago but switched somewhere else at the 11th hour?

He was a great talent but never came close to fulfilling his potential and I believe it was Darlington. Their chairman threw a tantrum on TV when he changed his mind to play somewhere in the Middle East - Saudi Arabia or Qatar I think. Swindon were to sign Socrates then Romario akaik.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Another one gone - Medjani to Lorient

http://www.fcl-lorient.com/asp/articles/default.asp?id=3311

Rafa certainly seems to be doing a good ol' clear out atm..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

Read the book a season on the edge and interviews with Rafa, he said he was shocked by the physicality of the premiership when he started here.

Thats why it took him by surprise in the first season and why he admits some of his signings didnt work out.

Look at his second season, much more improvement. If the league had started in October last season we would have won it.

Rafa knows what he is doing.

Auriello is Braziallian but he played left back in one of the meanest, toughest Valencia squads ever. They hunted in packs, jockeyed, harried and hassled people off the ball and moved it quickly and purposefully when they had it.

Paletta again is the typical Argentinian defender, composed on the ball, tuff as nails and loves to kick people, loves a tackle. This Heinze, think Ayala, think a faster Pelligrino. He is young too which is why he will adapt quickly to the pace and style of the English game. He and Agger will get the Worthington Cup.

Gonzalez is young, fast, direct, tricky and has two excellent feet, watch out for his cannon ball left. Again, he is South American but Rafa knows what this league is about now and if Rafa thinks that he can adapt and fit in then thats ok for me.

Bellamy is going to be a hit, he has great experience at all levels and is what we where missing last season. A finisher, pace with control, agression.

Fowler will be a man with a mission again this season, playing for another extension. Expect to see him come in when we need to finish games off and with a full preseason under his belt he should be fitter than last season, which by the way he was faster that I thought he was going to be.

Emmo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Intersting to see rafa sayin possibly 3 more signings
    "We will continue to work on the squad, to find the right players," said Benitez.

"We are still looking for one player on the right while we now have enough competition on the left, we have a lot of players there with competitiveness which will be good for us.

"Now we must do the same on the right to give us more options. It is certainly the priority.

"We have a limited amount of money, we will try to use our imagination to do something, maybe two or three more players."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

There is no question over Aurelio's talent. I think the major concern is he's had a run of injuries.

Not so, just one broken leg.

He was a mainstay for his first 3 years out for 16 - 18 months with a broken leg and then didnt regain his place.

Emmo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Emmo wrote:
    Not so, just one broken leg.

He was a mainstay for his first 3 years out for 16 - 18 months with a broken leg and then didnt regain his place.

Emmo

still only 88 appearances in 4 1/2 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

I know this is a bit off topic but, has anybody read fowlers biography?I was thinkin about buying it - is it any good?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

seabee wrote:
    I know this is a bit off topic but, has anybody read fowlers biography?I was thinkin about buying it - is it any good?

I read it. It's a great read. It's written the way that he would say stuff (eg "Me Ma"). It's very esay to read as well had it finished in 3 day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

zing wrote:
    Another one gone - Medjani to Lorient

http://www.fcl-lorient.com/asp/articles/default.asp?id=3311

Rafa certainly seems to be doing a good ol' clear out atm..

Hope I wasnt the only one thinking:

1. Why would Medjani go to Leyton Orient?
    2. Why do Leyton Orient have that part of their website in French?

:D:D:D:D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Ye i read Fowlers biography and i enjoyed it, gives a good insight to Liverpool over the years prior to Benitez and the goings on and laughs.
    Its just a pity it was finished before he re-joined Liverpool

ehhh think you might be on your own with that one.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players/stats?id=14505&cc=5739
    Fabio Auriello's stats from Spain.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A1bio_Aur%C3%A9lio
    Fabio's profile

He just didnt manage to come back last season from that broken leg. Couldnt regain his place.

Nothing to be worried about.

New team and a new start. Been **** hot in training along with Bellamy and Gonzalez allegedly.

Emmo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

where did u hear about training? anymore?

must have a chat with my mate....he lives down the road from their Swiss training camp and goes there every year to watch them in pre season. Must see if they are out there yet?

From what he told me last year, Bolo is the most impressive in pre season

Yeah it would be interesting to see what they are working on and who is playing in what position. hopefully robbie fowler is just getting uber fit!

Got mates in Liverpool who know people.

Bellamy has been the outstanding player so far, really going for it.

Paletta was tackling so hard he was told to calm down too, great battler apprently.

Also Crouch, Carra and Gerrard aint back yet and they are the real jokers of the team so spirit is expected to be amazing this season.

Emmo

god i love liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Emmo wrote:
    Got mates in Liverpool who know people.

Bellamy has been the outstanding player so far, really going for it.

Paletta was tackling so hard he was told to calm down too, great battler apprently.

Also Crouch, Carra and Gerrard aint back yet and they are the real jokers of the team so spirit is expected to be amazing this season.

Emmo

Apparently Paletta's first touch is not great though. His strength in the tackle is top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Bolton will attempt to bolster their defensive ranks with the signings of Abdoulaye Meite and Djimi Traore from Marseille and Liverpool respectively. (The Guardian)

maybe there is some hope yet!!:p

Quote:
    Bolton will attempt to bolster their defensive ranks with the signings of Abdoulaye Meite and Djimi Traore from Marseille and Liverpool respectively. (The Guardian)

I would like to offer Big Sam €100 to take Djimi "I'm a champions league winner" off our hands :-)

Djimi is easy worth £1.5 Mill - £3 Mill

He was a mainstay in the champions league winning side.

Great tackler and got better and better that last few seasons.

Almost MOTM against Chelsea in the Semi at Anfield.

Emmo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

He went for cheaper than I'd like but hey, no more Djimi in the ranks! :) No more panic attacks everytime a winger with some pace charges down that right flank. No more heart in mouth as Djimi lunges in with a tackle, misses and gifts the opposition a scoring chance. Finally, he is gone.

emc2 wrote:
    I would like to offer Big Sam €100 to take Djimi "I'm a champions league winner" off our hands :-)
    If we all throw in £10 we can get a decent bung together for Sam.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Emmo wrote:
    Djimi is easy worth £1.5 Mill - £3 Mill

He was a mainstay in the champions league winning side.

Great tackler and got better and better that last few seasons.

Almost MOTM against Chelsea in the Semi at Anfield.

Emmo
    It brightened up my day reading that :D

Remember this
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7fdJWap2ks

still the funniest thing I have seen on a football field :D

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭davidm20

emc2 wrote:
    Quote:

Any word on a buy back clause:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

For all his faults, Traore had an amazing recovering-tackle-ability with those long bendy legs of his.

Best of luck to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

SofaKing wrote:
    For all his faults, Traore had an amazing recovering-tackle-ability with those long bendy legs of his.

I think the makers of Street Fighter game modelled this character on him! Ledge!

• Advertisement

SofaKing wrote:

Best of luck to him.

He's not gone yet!!!

SofaKing wrote:

Best of luck to him.

.................is right

Djimi was great in the tackle, the only thing that let him down was concentration levels. When he was swithed on he was brilliant. Nothing bothered him, tackling, tracking, pace, tricks...Nothing. The thing was when he wasnt tested all game against lesser teams he would switch off and have a SHIMMY moment.

I hope he goes on to do really well for himself.

I will always remember his only goal for the team too. Super finish on his right foot. Cut inside on a pitch that looked like some battlefield from Lord of The Rings and just sent a lovely shot into the near corner.

Also the headed goal that Igor Biscan scored against Bolton, which left winger jinked his way past the right back and then crossed it for the might Biscuit?

Shimmy thats who!

Get tackled by the Hamman, tackled by the Finnan, tacked by the Biscan
    tackled by the Shimmy

He just cant, he just cant control his feet.

Emmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

According to KT, we're gonna be wearing our new Euro Away Kit in the friendly tomorrow.
    Also Gonzales injured himself in training and will not take any part in the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

You mean according to the official site - http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152906060714-1536.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Slurms wrote:
    According to KT, we're gonna be wearing our new Euro Away Kit in the friendly tomorrow.
    Also Gonzales injured himself in training and will not take any part in the match.

Any TV coverage? Chn 5 showed a couple of games this time last year as I remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I hear Bellamy is making his debut today. I'm hoping he hits a hat-trick to silence the doubters!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I'm not keen on that at all, arf.

that's terrible...why do adidas save all the crap for Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Yeah, I too hope he scores a hat-trick, although I am fairly sure that a hat-trick will not silence too many doubters TBH. I am going to head up there and watch, tickets are still avaialble so will be my two lads first game too. Gonzalez unfortunately cannot make it but aside from that should be a good chance to see the new lads have a run out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Its only the champions league away shirt folks. I like it.

I like that shirt. though it a bit fulham-ish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Article Link on pool website re: new strip ... It will problee take a while to get used too ...

Well Bellamy scored on his debut.

And Anderson scored! Would be nice to see him get a run in the 1st team this year seeing as how he's so highly rated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement