Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

The Kuyt deal seems to have reached an impasse. The agent has come out to say that £13.7 needs to be paid to get him. I can't see Liverpool paying that.

Dirk Kuyt's agent has questioned Liverpool's hopes of landing the striker, insisting he will not move to Anfield unless the club meet Feyenoord's valuation.
    The 25-year-old has been strongly linked with a move to Anfield as the Reds look to increase their goalscoring options ahead of the forthcoming season.
    Newcastle are also reportedly interested but the player's agent Rob Jansen believes he will remain at Feyenoord as both clubs seem unlikely to pay the Eredivisie side's £13.7million price.
    "Dirk will not be signing for Liverpool any time soon," Jansen told AD Sportwereld.
    "He is also not negotiating with any other English club for that matter.
    "Both clubs do not want to pay what Feyenoord wants.
    "If foreign clubs don't have the money to buy Kuyt then he will stay with Feyenoord, it's that simple."
    Source

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

according to koptalk insider, which broke the fowler story for u doubters, their sources have been reporting that a medical is pencilled in for the later stages of this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Looks like Kuyt is no longer an option according to his agent:
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/2006/0720/kuytd.html

In a way I think thats good news as I dont rate Kuyt that highly. He is a workman - he'll do ok in England but I think Liverpool should invest in some stylish player instead. Keep that money, add another 5m and see what we can get.

On Pennant, its more a stop-gap type of player, a cover. We know what he can do in England and its fairly ok, but nothing to write home about. And surely he is as good as Zenden. I hear that Zenden may play in the centre of the park, I presume in an Alonso-type role when Alonso isnt playing, or when playing 4-5-1, I hope Benitez doesnt do that.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭mada999

oh no I hope we dont get Kuyt (sp?) .... whats all the fuss about ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I hope our signings are sorted soon, start of the season is in a few weeks (13th August) v Chelsea - Community Shield

It could be worse, we could be as inempt as ManYoo in the transfer market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ease up on the oul comments on Big Nelly, bit harsh !!:)
    redspider wrote:
    . I hear that Zenden may play in the centre of the park
    redspider

Yeah Rafa has mentioned this. Pennant imo opinion would be a great signing for Liverpool, imagine the amountof assists hed give. great crosser of a ball. The potential falldown of Kuyt deal is a blessin in disguise...Belamy is a great signing. From a Man Utd fan, i believe that Liverpool have a far greater chance of catching Chelsea (the way the transfer market is panning out).

would pennant come to anfield after his trip last year when thousands of fans chanted "you should be in prison" ? fickle, i think not

i think we will really push for the title this year. the start to the season will be critical to gain momentum and as mourihno says, his players are tired. we need to capitalise on this. wont be suprised if chelsea field their reserves in the community shield

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

redspider wrote:
    I hear that Zenden may play in the centre of the park, I presume in an Alonso-type role when Alonso isnt playing, or when playing 4-5-1, I hope Benitez doesnt do that.
    I don't agree with that. He wouldn't play in Alonso's deep-lying creative role. Zenden would be a runner in midfield, an attacking central midfielder, which he performed to great effect at 'Boro. He's a fantastic option to have there going into this new season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

in my opinion he's as good as Owen ever was

ROFL, I think you may be forgetting just how good Owen was for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I dont pay too much attention to stats but Opta have Pennant as the best right winger in the Prem in terms of crosses and assists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

T&#225 wrote: »
    would pennant come to anfield after his trip last year when thousands of fans chanted "you should be in prison" ? fickle, i think not

He probably got much the same at every ground he went to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

If former Rangers player Miller goes to Celtic, anyone can go anywhere. Ince went to Pool after playin for United for 6 years. But thats another argument. I can see Pennant at Liverpool

from koptalk
    As reported earlier today on KOPTALK, Real Madrid have been linked with a possible move for Liverpool ace Xabi Alonso.

There's no advertising in the KopTalk Gold Club!
    Spanish media source AS are reporting that the Spanish giants are preparing a bid of at least 25million Euros for the player.

Our professional translator from the KOPTALK Gold Club emailed us within the last few minutes after checking over the reports.

He said: "Real are reportedly going to try and tempt Liverpool with a substantial bid for Xabi Alonso (at least 25m Euros is quoted) after Arsenal flatly refused to consider any bids for Fabregas.

Please take this with a pinch of salt. AS and MARCA have linked Real with over 100 players since the presidential election!

"Although if transfer money is not forthcoming, would Rafa consider sacrificing Xabi for the money?

uh-oooooh. it could be just silly season. but its the bit about fabregas not being available and the possibility of £20M or so in rafa's purse that worries me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

and what would rafa do with 20 million that united are currently arent doing with money burning a hole in their pockets?

typical real crap. the only thing they could offer me in exchange for alonso would be to transplant the bernabau stadium to stanley park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

el rabitos wrote:
    the only thing they could offer me in exchange for alonso would be to transplant the bernabau stadium to stanley park

Ha ha seems fair to me:p but only that no cash offers please!

There were rumours about Guti's availability(last week and last year) that the reds would be monitoring.

Two things have to happen this summer, first of the Italian sale, then whatever Real do. After those two happen, the market can continue.

I'd say the last of the Italian saga will be completed this week, Real still need to devlier on the election promise of Cesc and Robben (or similar)

Yes Im sure Rafa can think of a number high enough to put Real off.
    Theres an awful lot of rubbish coming from Kuyts camp. He should get a new agent, one that can spin at consistent crap

wonder what Alonso's buy out clause is...

wonder what Alonso's buy out clause is...

english clubs arent required to have buy out clauses in player contracts.

even craig bellamy?

• Advertisement

Following on from our earlier article today about reports in Spain linking Real Madrid with Liverpool's Xabi Alonso, we can now provide the following update.

It is claimed by AS that the Spanish giants have made an approach to Alonso's agent but that he's refused to speak to them unless permission is granted by the Reds.

Our translator advises supporters to dismiss the report as nothing other than "pure speculation" although he points out that Real have a reported €70m to spend.

The translated article reads as follows:

REAL ALREADY IN TALKS OVER ALONSO DEAL
    The stumbling block is the 25 million euro asking price....

Real Madrid are still dreaming of seeing Xabi Alonso in a white shirt. Predrag Mijatovic (ex-Real star and new director of football under Fabio Capello) has already inquired about Alonso's contract at Liverpool, in case the Fabregas deal goes through but rumours in England suggest that Liverpool would not let Alonso go for less than €25m (£17m).

Capello is a big fan of Alonso and does not understand how Madrid could have let him sign for Liverpool two seasons ago when they had him in their sights. That season, José Antonio Camacho was the Real boss and his preferred target was Patrick Vieira at the time.

Real Madrid did make an offer of €12m euros for Alonso but the then Sociedad president refused the offer and sold him for €17m to Liverpool instead. In the end, Real missed out on both Vieira and Alonso.

Capello has now asked Mijatovic to negotiate with Liverpool and reduce their asking price.

The Real manager considers Alonso an ideal partner for Emerson in central midfield, the Brazilian providing the muscle and tactical discipline and Alonso the intelligence and vision, with the added physical presence he has acquired in the Premiership.

Alonso's agent referred Real Madrid to Liverpool when they inquired about his availablity. He does not want to risk making any false moves after his transfer to Real fell through in 2004

hope he doesnt go.

even craig bellamy?

he asked for it to be put in as part of his transfer to blackburn, blackburn didnt *have* to put it in, but he would have probably turned them down if they didnt.

spanish clubs *must* put a buy out clause in player contracts, it can be tens of millions, but it has to be in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Generally good players at smaller clubs tend to have a buy out clause so that they are more appealing to bigger clubs. Its straight forward thinking by the player really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

As regards Alonso to Madrid:
    I know pepole will tell me to be a bit more forward thinking etc..but he's a Basque guy with a Basque name who played for a Basque club. I can't see him moving to Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Alonso is going nowhere, he's worth alot more to Liverpool than a quick cash injection of 25 million euro.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Time to switch on the "Bannor Signal" me thinks ;)

According to KopTalk this afternoon, we are now favourites to sign Fran Mérida — the wonderkid at Barca. This would be be great as I thought he would definitely end up at Arsenal. Their report has some cool video of him from YouTube also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Why would Barca sell a "wonderkid" after the success they've had with Messi? Unless they know he's not quite as wondrous as the videos make him out to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

i cannot see alonso leaving liverpool. Real have just signed emerson from juventus. I wouldnt sell him for 40 million let alone 25 million.Why would liverpool sell a player that they bought two years and make to stand an 8 million profit on him.It doesnt make sense. Anyways as someone above mentioned he is from the basque region. If liverpool can manage to get alves or whoever to fill right wing liverpool will have some team for next season.

• Advertisement

PiE wrote:
    Why would Barca sell a "wonderkid" after the success they've had with Messi? Unless they know he's not quite as wondrous as the videos make him out to be.
    Maybe they didn't invest in 5 years worth of anti-dwarf drugs like they did with Messi ;)

KockTalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

PiE wrote:
    Seeing as how he's sixteen his contract wont be protected therefore we can approach him and sign him but we will have to give Barca compensation. Tis the same the that happened with Fabregas, IIRC.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

PiE wrote:
    They don't have a choice in the matter, but i'd be very surprised if Merida ends up at Liverpool.

They don't have a choice in the matter, but i'd be very surprised if Merida ends up at Liverpool.

'the hell do u mean they've no choice? its barcelona not levante.

if a player isnt good enough to get into barcelona's first team then he'll be sitting in the under 18's or reserves at pool aswell.

just because liverpool *could* approach him, doesnt mean barca wont up his wages or he might decide he's at a big enough club

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

the question was asked why would barcalona sell a wonderkid? Pepe said that they dont have a choice in selling him. Hes right. I really dont know whats so confusing about that el rabitos.

the question was asked why would barcalona sell a wonderkid? Pepe said that they dont have a choice in selling him. Hes right. I really dont know whats so confusing about that el rabitos.

they dont have a choice?

liverpool can match his buy out and get permission to talk to him, so? doesnt mean barca cant offer him a better deal.

so how do barca have "no choice"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I think the point is that once the event that allows a player to talk to a different club, be it offer of x or wages or bid to the holding club of y, then the holding club (in this case Barcelona) are contractually obliged to allow that player "talk" to the other club. They cannot block the sale of that player, if the terms of his exit, under his contract, have been met.

Of course they could try to gazzump the bidding club by offering the player in question better terms. They do have a choice, but their position is somewhat compromised by the interest of the bidding club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

he doesnt have a buy out clause though. he hasnt signed a professional contract. Barca can offer him a better deal, but they cant stop other clubs from talking to him., who in turn can just up there contract offer for him.

yeah but to say they have "no choice" is a fair bit of an exageration tbh.

anyway, barca arent exactly an unattractive club to be at, i dont see them letting any potential stars go easily, given how fabregas got away

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Two years ago his parents signed an affiliating contract on his behalf but sources in Spain have indicated the contract could be null and void as, in a potentially disastrous oversight, it was not signed by a club executive, meaning he could walk away for free.

When Wenger signed Fabregas in September 2003 he exploited the loophole in the Spanish system that says a player cannot sign professional forms until he turns 18. Barcelona eventually received £1million in compensation for grooming the player.
    The 19-year-old defender Pique joined Manchester United from Barcelona in July 2004 while Arsenal could sign Merida without spending a penny because of a legal loophole. The player's parents had put pen to paper on a Barça contract on his behalf in 2003 - the club's youth players have to sign an amateur contract and a pre-working contract - but the contract, which needed three club signatures, had only one.
    "The player has been on trial with Arsenal in recent weeks," said the player's agent, Joseba Diaz, who was also the man responsible for taking Fabregas to Arsenal, added: "He is currently on holiday but he will not be returning to Barcelona."

http://sport.independent.co.uk/football/european/article601271.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

One of the reasons Fabregas gave for leaving Barca was he was sick of winning games 20-0 in their junior team every week. The videos look good, but when you're in a team like that it gives a false view. The lad is obviously talented, but I doubt he'd be so fleet of foot on a wet december night in Bury playing in the reserves when he'd actually be tackled rather than nearly encouraged to do as he wanted in the videos.

• Advertisement

Liverpool have released the squad numbers for next season

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152952060721-1137.htm

Fowler to wear No: 9

wheres diaos number. I wish .tv would keep pushing these non-stories.

Bellamys favourite colour is red but quite likes aquamarine..read the full interview on e-season

wheres diaos number.

Didnt even notice that - bet that makes him feel very wanted:p
    But I thought he played on sat - would he not have had a jersey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

wheres diaos number.

Right here: http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/team/squad/

He gets #83.

why isn't pepe no.1? i mean, i know he IS no.1 but why will his jersey not say no.1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barca have huge trouble keeping their young stars, as with all clubs playing at the top level, it's tough to introduce young players on a regular basis. For example, Arsenal didn't bring up the youth during their glory days, hence by Pennant is a Brum player.

Few players break through, and when they do, they tend to be exceptional.

PiE wrote:
    Because he turned 16 in March and under Spanish law he cannot be offered proper contract until he is 18. That is not the case for English clubs.
    Stky10 wrote:
    ... I doubt he'd be so fleet of foot on a wet december night in Bury playing in the reserves when he'd actually be tackled rather than nearly encouraged to do as he wanted in the videos.
    Probably not but remember the lad is only 16. I think it would be a great acquisition if we got him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

why isn't pepe no.1? i mean, i know he IS no.1 but why will his jersey not say no.1?

Simple - Pepe doesn't have the #1 shirt because Jerzy got there ahead of him
    and until Jerzy leaves the club (either on loan or permanently) or agrees to change his shirt number he'll keep the #1 shirt.

However maybe he doesn't want to wear #1 ? Maybe he's happy for Jerzy to keep the #1 shirt ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Duff could be on his way!!!!
    Liverpool have entered the race to sign Duff along with Newcastle and Spurs according to Sky Sport News.

wont happen, waste of resources

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement