Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Shamrok wrote:
    I don't think he thought he would get as much football at Liverpool as he will at Newcastle.

Or there was no real interest from LFC as this article in the echo appears
    to suggest:
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=17437743%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=benitez%2d%2dwe%2ddon%2dt%2dwant%2dto%2dsell%2dalonso-name_page.html
    Liverpool are also bemused at reports suggesting they were beaten to Damien Duff by Newcastle United.

Chelsea offered Duff to the Reds and publicly declared they had given them permission to speak to the Irish international but Liverpool never registered any interest in the player.

That I find very believable..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

wasn't on here last year regularly, but do you lot ever meet up to watch 'pool games? not all, but big ones or saturday games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I go to the matches mate, well at least the home ones, sometimes catch an away game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

jonny24ie wrote:
    DId they not pay 10 mill sterling, 15 mill euro for him??

Nope 5 million was the figure Newcastle paid according to their statement to the stock exchange.

I go to the matches mate, well at least the home ones, sometimes catch an away game.

in liverpool? or you mean, you go to watch the matches over herein the pub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

T&#225 wrote: »
    in liverpool? or you mean, you go to watch the matches over herein the pub?

No, Thanx 4 The Fish goes to a lot of the matches. Lucky sod! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Here we go

Offical kit released minutes ago

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/replicakit/index.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Do I not like that :(

Hope that the second kit is better, the shorts remind me of GAA shorts too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

irish1 wrote:
    Nope 5 million was the figure Newcastle paid according to their statement to the stock exchange.

Yeah but knowing Shepherd for the fool that he is, Chelsea will probably get another 10 million after x number of goals, appearances, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

Anyone know if the crest on the new kit is one of those iron on plastic one, or is it embroidered. I quite like the new kit, but if it is a crappy plasticy crest, I dont know if I'll buy it. The crest should be the most important thing on the jersey.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

bat boy wrote:
    Anyone know if the crest on the new kit is one of those iron on plastic one, or is it embroidered. I quite like the new kit, but if it is a crappy plasticy crest, I dont know if I'll buy it. The crest should be the most important thing on the jersey.

its embroidered

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

T&#225 wrote: »

Nevermind I think I know that it is!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

So close to being a really nice jersey - the squiggly white line going around the front of the jersey ruins it. IMO.

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?HLID=405339&CPID=8&title=Diao+gets+Addicks+chance&lid=&channel=Premiership&f=rss&clid=14

me keeping fingers & everything else crossed that he'll somehow manage to impress ... err I mean fool Dowie into thinking he's a decent player

It seems Liverpool were in for Duff and he decided to go for Newcastle, he has said:

“It took a couple of days (to make the decision). I spoke to the gaffer and the lads here like Scott Parker, Steve Carr and Shay Given, but at the end I listened to my heart.

“Maybe there are a lot of Liverpool supporters in Ireland saying ‘Why didn’t you sign for us?’ but my heart told me to come to Newcastle United.”

From:http://www.breakingnews.ie/2006/07/24/story269202.html

I'd guess Newky offered him more money. Plus the security of a guaranteed first team place would have been a big plus. He never comes across as the most ambitious of players, sure he tries his heart out on the pitch, but he never really wanted to leave Blackburn.

The lovely yellow kit can be seen here
    http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152973060724-1541.htm

Its different class.

I somehow doubt it was money now Rooster, I think he would have stayed at Chelsea if thats what he was after.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

irish1 wrote:
    I somehow doubt it was money now Rooster, I think he would have stayed at Chelsea if thats what he was after.

IMO it was money and guaranteed first team football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Love the new kit, it's class.

I'll take it in red and yellow please!

Maybe it the was thought of playing in a team with Crouch and Fowler as the two strikers :D

Nah your right is was probably the gurantee of first team football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

irish1 wrote:
    Maybe it the was thought of playing in a team with Crouch and Fowler as the two strikers :D

trés witty indeed.

who do newcastle have as strikers again?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

think i might get a 14 - Alonso shirt asap :D

might wait tho to see if he moves to madrid tho... :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    trés witty indeed.

who do newcastle have as strikers again?

generic african american number 4 and generic caucasian youth number 6 i believe are the current strikers

Sorry I was only joking, I just find it a bit surprising that Duffer would choose Newcastle over the Pool. I mean as a midfielder surely you want to play along side Gerrard and Alonso?

Oh and Newcastle are meant to trying to sign Klose!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

thewing wrote:
    Love the new kit, it's class.

I'll take it in red and yellow please!
    Same as that.

irish1 wrote:

really? i read from glenn rodent that they thought he'd probably like to sign for a Champions League team...but newcattle fans should keep fingers crossed he might be interested in playing in the intertoto...

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

AdrianII wrote:
    Here we go

Offical kit released minutes ago

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/replicakit/index.htm

More pics can be found here

Also looks like Alonso will be staying with the reds also
    Alonso: I'm happy at Liverpool
    24/07/2006 - 20:24:24

Spanish playmaker Xabi Alonso has underlined his commitment to Liverpool while midfield colleague Salif Diao has been given permission to play for Charlton tomorrow on trial.

Diao is to play for Charlton against Hibernian at Easter Road.

The Senegal international spent last term on loan at Portsmouth and the previous campaign on a season-long loan at Birmingham, but both spells were affected by injury.

The 29-year-old played in the first half of Liverpool’s friendly win at Crewe on Saturday and could now be on the brink of a £700,000 move to the Valley.

Liverpool spokesman Ian Cotton said: “Salif has been given permission to play for Charlton in Tuesday’s friendly game against Hibernian.”

Alonso returned to training this week after playing in the World Cup for Spain with speculation that Real Madrid wanted him.

Boss Rafael Benitez said at the weekend that the midfielder was not for sale.

Now Alonso has said: “I am happy here, I am used to closing my ears to such speculation.

“I have enjoyed my first two seasons at Liverpool and I will be staying here.”

Liverpool are believed to have offered a trial to Greek striker Lazaros Christodoupoulos.

The 20-year-old from PAOK Salonika is regarded as one of the best young players in Greece and did not travel with PAOK’s squad for their pre-season trip to France.

Christodoupoulos, who has three years left on his contract at PAOK, has a release clause of £136,000.

Link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

irish1 wrote:
    Sorry I was only joking, I just find it a bit surprising that Duffer would choose Newcastle over the Pool. I mean as a midfielder surely you want to play along side Gerrard and Alonso?

maybehe didn't ejoy the meddeteranian manager experience first time round.
    Maybe he was happier with the setup at blackburn and Newcastle looks closer to that then Liverpool do at the moment.

Maybe he figures one of these times Newcastle HAVE to get it right:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Christodoupoulos is intriguing alright. Just the sort of left-field thing Rafa would do if he signed him for peanuts.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Liverpool have had a £6m bid accepted for Birmingham winger Jermaine Pennant. (Daily Mirror)

Pompey boss Harry Redknapp is also keen on Liverpool goalkeeper Scott Carson. (Daily Mirror)

Former Liverpool and England winger - and ex-Celtic coach - John Barnes is set to be appointed coach of Jamaica. (Daily Mail)

Alonso dismisses link with Real - http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/5207964.stm

zabbo wrote:
    Liverpool have had a £6m bid accepted for Birmingham winger Jermaine Pennant. (Daily Mirror)

Full story here: http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/tm_objectid=17441564%26method=full%26siteid=94762%26headline=benitez%2dlands%2d%2dpound%2d6mpennant%2d-name_page.html

i dunno bout the mirror being a concrete source now lads...

John Terry Banner for Cardiff...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Dave Maddock is supposed to be a godfather to one of Fowler's daughters....

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

zing wrote:

He reckons Liverpool are going pre-season training in Austria, even though it's Switzerland they're going to.... lord knows what else he has wrong in that article..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I reckon Duff just prefers being a big fish in a small pond. Still don't believe that Liverpool put in any firm offers though.

New jerseys are alright, look a bit shiney though.

Duff said yesterday:

"I may be disappointing Liverpool fans in Ireland, but my heart just said Newcastle".

Therefore it seems clear that Liverpool put in an offer that was accepted by Chelsea. Spurs also had an offer accepted, but they were a distant third because "as a Chelsea player I couldnt join Spurs".

Duff is a money grabber simple as,he likes the easy life.

A year ago Duff would've suited Liverpool. With the arrival of Gonzalez, however, he might end up facing a situation like at Chelsea. Also with Harry Kewell still hanging in there. It wouldn't be the safe move Duff wanted. Might as well have stayed at Chelsea.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Also with Harry Kewell still hanging in there. It wouldn't be the safe move Duff wanted. Might as well have stayed at Chelse

That says it all about Duff,back in 02 he would have walked all over Kewell or most/all wide players in England.Now his fight is gone he just wants first team football.

Only driven determined players become great players,Duff had all the potential to be great.

• Advertisement

Dub13 wrote:
    That says it all about Duff,back in 02 he would have walked all over Kewell or most/all wide players in England.Now his fight is gone he just wants first team football.

Only driven determined players become great players,Duff had all the potential to be great.

agreed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

Duff would have been first choice left winger if he had signed.

TheMonster wrote:
    Duff would have been first choice left winger if he had signed.
    Definetly ahead of Kewell, but if Gonzalez can produce the form he had in Spain last year......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Birmingham have turned down a bid from Liverpool for Pennant

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/5213422.stm
    Birmingham have confirmed that they have turned down a £3.5m offer from Liverpool for winger Jermaine Pennant.

The 23-year-old has been linked with a move to Anfield after the Midlands club's relegation to the Championship.

Blues boss Steve Bruce said: "There has only been one bid of around £3.5m but we don't want to sell him for that."

A club statement said: "The two clubs have talked on a number of occasions but we are a long way off in our respective valuations of the player."

Birmingham managing director Karren Brady had insisted that Pennant would not be sold.

However, the statement revealed that the Blues may be willing to let him leave - if Liverpool were to raise their offer.

"Until Birmingham's valuation of the player is met, we will not consider a move for Pennant," the statement read.

Pennant completed a £3m switch from Arsenal in April 2005 after falling out of favour at Highbury.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I thought the original offer was 5million :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Definetly ahead of Kewell, but if Gonzalez can produce the form he had in Spain last year......
    If - Duff is proven though

TheMonster wrote:
    If - Duff is proven though
    agreed - but it would still be a reason for Duff to steer clear.

Can't remember if he played against Gonzalez in the friendly with Chile - but Gonzalez was Chile's most impressive player that day.

Maybe what was going through Duffy's mind is he is very injury prone and at a club like Liverpool if you are out of the team for a while you may find it hard to get back into the first 11.

RE*AC*TOR wrote:

People relying on Gonzalez to be the number one left sided player for Liverpool this season are being very optimistic IMO. Left side midfield duties will be shared by Gonzalez, Kewell, Riise and Aurelio. Be interesting to see who makes the most starts in that position throughout the season. If Gonzalez starts more than 50% of the games, he'll have exceeded my expectations.

• Advertisement

People relying on Gonzalez to be the number one left sided player for Liverpool this season are being very optimistic IMO. Left side midfield duties will be shared by Gonzalez, Kewell, Riise and Aurelio. Be interesting to see who makes the most starts in that position throughout the season. If Gonzalez starts more than 50% of the games, he'll have exceeded my expectations.
    That's overly negative. He was key to keeping Sociedad in La Liga. This was coming back from a big injury. He's not a household name like Simao or Jaoquin, then again neither was Sissoko... or for that matter Alonso.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement