Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Gonzalez is a quality player, but will take time to adjust. Duff would just have slotted in. Gonzalez and Duff on each wing swapping woulda been very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

^^^ RE PENNANT OFFER FROM THE POOL

that story broke yesterday and was in relation to an offer that the pool put in a few weeks ago of £3.5 million. reports now are suggesting that he will sign for £5 million. steve bruce was commenting on previous bids. not the most up to date one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

T&#225 wrote: »
    ^^^ RE PENNANT OFFER FROM THE POOL

that story broke yesterday and was in relation to an offer that the pool put in a few weeks ago of £3.5 million. reports now are suggesting that he will sign for £5 million. steve bruce was commenting on previous bids. not the most up to date one

Okie dokie. Probably got confused between euro and sterling or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Rafa is confident of a couple of new signings before the end of the week, I wonder if his comments are specifically in relation to Alves

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152986060725-1209.htm
    Rafael Benitez is hopeful of adding "one or two" new faces to his Liverpool squad before the end of the week.
    The Reds continue to be linked with a number of players from home and abroad, but Benitez is adamant he'll only pay what he considers to be the going rate for his transfer targets.

"We are continuing to work to bring in more players, but it's difficult to say where we are at this moment, it depends on two or three factors," said the Liverpool manager.

"We are closer with some players, but I'm not the kind of manager who will say 'I want this player and I'll pay £20m to get him' if his value is only £10m. We don't have the money for doing this and we have a responsibility.

"We will try to sign the best players for us with the money we have.
    "When you have experience, you know it's the same every year. Sometimes you have to wait until the last minute.

"I'm really happy with the squad now, but we will continue working and I think this week we can make one or two signings. If not, we can wait a little longer."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

We were never in for Duff according to Bascombe....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Why the hell would Duff make stuff up about turning Liverpool down!!!

Of course we were in for him. Bascombe is good but he's not right all the time. Plus it may have been the day before or the day Bascombe wrote his piece that Liverpool made the bid.

Signing Pennant would presumably mean that Alves is less likely to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Why the hell would Duff make stuff up about turning Liverpool down!!!

Of course we were in for him. Bascombe is good but he's not right all the time. Plus it may have been the day before or the day Bascombe wrote his piece that Liverpool made the bid.

Duff never said that he turned Liverpool down, he said that he thinks that alot of liverpool fans in Ireland would be thinking why did he not go to liverpool and then said it was a decision made with his heart. He never mentioned that liverpool came in for him or not nro did he say that an offer for him was accepted and he was allowed to talk to the club. You are making assumptions based on your incorrect understanding of what was said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

If we get Pennant, there won't be any Alves

Think Pennant will be good, as long as he doesn't get behind the wheel after a nite on the tiles.

Leaves us with more cash for Kuyt, and if we land him as well, it's been as good a summer as I can remember in terms of transfer targets(well I'll be optimistic of finishing top of table minus Chelsea).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

FFS!

He said he had a decision to make and that Liverpool fans would be disappointed by his decision.

Why did he not mention that ManU fans in Ireland would be disappointed? Or Celtic fans in Ireland? Or any other club??? Because they were not in for him.

He had a decision to make between Newcastle, Liverpool, Spurs or Chelsea, i.e. the three teams that had bids accepted and his own club. Spurs were never in the running he said, and he said he wanted out of Chelsea. So the decision was between Newcastle and Liverpool. Thats why he mentioned Liverpool fans might be disappointed, but didnt say ManU fans or Celtic fans might be disappointed.

Its not rocket science. And I find it hard to fathom why people find it so difficult to accept that someone turned down Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

There is no problem with him rejecting Liverpool, he has done it before and may have done it again but no official source has said that he was offered to Liverpool, Rafa has apparently admiited to being bemused by the idea that Duff rejected Liverpool.

If he has rejected the pool then more fool him but as has been said before, good luck to him, with a choice of being on the bench for a top four team or playing every week for a team that struggle to get into Europe, he has chosen the latter, I hope he can drive newcastle up the table as anybody who can join in the competition with Chelsea will be gratefully appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Have you got a link to where Rafa said he was bemused at the idea of Duff rejecting Liverpool?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Plus it may have been the day before or the day Bascombe wrote his piece that Liverpool made the bid.

For the record the article thewing was referring to was only published today:
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=17443837%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=benitez%2dsights%2dcould%2dbe%2don%2da%2dflight%2dof%2dfancy-name_page.html
    Naturally it could have been written god knows when but does look fresh - or rather it doesn't look old. Whether it's content is accurate or not is another story..

Interesting comment in there about the slice of the pie Alves's agent is looking for being as much of an obstacle as anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

irish1 wrote:
    Have you got a link to where Rafa said he was bemused at the idea of Duff rejecting Liverpool?

Hmmm read it myself and bemused was used.. Will see if I can find it..

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=17437743&method=full&siteid=50061&headline=benitez--we-don-t-want-to-sell-alonso-name_page.html

All I could find but:

"Liverpool are also bemused at reports suggesting they were beaten to Damien Duff by Newcastle United.

Chelsea offered Duff to the Reds and publicly declared they had given them permission to speak to the Irish international but Liverpool never registered any interest in the player."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Why is everyone so exersised by this? We're grand without him.

Mike.

ask him...

dduff@nufc.co.uk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Birmingham are denying the Pennant rumours.
    The St Andrews club have already knocked back a £3.5million Anfield offer for the winger.

And the statement from Blues read: "Contrary to reports in the media, Birmingham City have not agreed a fee with Liverpool for Jermaine Pennant.

"The clubs have talked on a couple of occasions but Birmingham and Liverpool are a long way off in their respective valuations of the player.

"Until Birmingham's valuation is met, the club will not even consider a move for Pennant.

"Birmingham City have continually stated they are not looking to sell any of their best players."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Most liverpool fans dont want to admit a player snubbed us over Newcastle Mike. Personnally i am delighted. Anyway i dont we were interested in him.

I think most of the leaks have come from Newcastle. They are desperate to hype up there profile so they can attract players. Coming and saying duffer went to them instead of liverpool is a great boost for their reputation and for the fans.

i also see today how duff's agent has come out and claimed that Duff turned down Valencia and Inter Milan. I think they are hoping that Klose reads the English tabloids and see's how great Newcaslte must be if Duff is willing to sign for them ahead of 3 other teams who are playing in the champions league.

Just a theory though..

We'll sign pennant by the end of the week for 5milion or so i think.

If Torres and Ronaldinho said no I would'nt care, Liverpool is not a team built on stars, its built on group talent.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

...and Steven Gerrard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

mike65 wrote:
    If Torres and Ronaldinho said no I would'nt care, Liverpool is not a team built on stars, its built on group talent.

Mike.

oh get off the horse mike

Most liverpool fans dont want to admit a player snubbed us over Newcastle Mike. Personnally i am delighted. Anyway i dont we were interested in him.

I think most of the leaks have come from Newcastle. They are desperate to hype up there profile so they can attract players. Coming and saying duffer went to them instead of liverpool is a great boost for their reputation and for the fans.

i also see today how duff's agent has come out and claimed that Duff turned down Valencia and Inter Milan. I think they are hoping that Klose reads the English tabloids and see's how great Newcaslte must be if Duff is willing to sign for them ahead of 3 other teams who are playing in the champions league.

Just a theory though..

jeez thats the best thing i've read about this whole saga. i think you are spot on. 100%

oh get off the horse mike

Seriously I would'nt care! As for Gerrard he is a star now, not when he started at Liverpool having been there since he was 9! :p

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

Dub13 wrote:
    That says it all about Duff,back in 02 he would have walked all over Kewell or most/all wide players in England.Now his fight is gone he just wants first team football.

being fair you would say that back in '02 it could of been argued that kewell was the best left midfielder in the world, or there abouts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

From the Beeb
    Liverpool to seal Pennant signing

Liverpool are close to sealing a £6.2m swoop for Birmingham winger Jermaine Pennant, according to a report.

Birmingham revealed earlier on Tuesday that they turned down a £3.5m offer for the 23-year-old from Liverpool.

Now the Press Association has been told by a source close to Blues that an improved bid has been accepted with Pennant now set for talks at Anfield.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez said on Monday there "could be another two players in by the weekend".

One of those now seems certain to be Pennant, and it is claimed that Holland international Dirk Kuyt will be the other - if the Reds can negotiate Feyenoord down from their £12m asking price.

The Press Association's report says Liverpool have already failed with a player-plus-cash offer which would have seen Jan Kromkamp and Jerzy Dudek going to Feyenoord.

Pennant's arrival would solve Benitez's search for a right-sided midfielder, with his first choice, Sevilla's Daniel Alves, proving too pricy at £12m.

The Birmingham player is much cheaper, even after the Championship club negotiated the fee upwards because they knew they had to give Pennant's old club Arsenal a quarter of any cash receieved for him.

Blues boss Steve Bruce said earlier: "There has only been one bid of around £3.5m but we don't want to sell him for that."

They reportedly wanted £8m, but have settled for £6.2m, even though St Andrews managing director Karren Brady had said the player would not be sold at all.

Pennant joined Birmingham from Arsenal for £3m in April 2005.
    6.2mil seems reasonable, the Alves saga has gone on far too long.

Although theres that "...told by a source close to..." line again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

SofaKing wrote:
    Liverpool are close to sealing a £6.2m swoop for Birmingham winger Jermaine Pennant, according to a report.

6.2 million and maybe raising .. :eek:

Malbranque would have been a better purchase..

6.2 million is a good price for Pennant, decent player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think its reasonable in today's markey. Its about half what we would have had to pay for Alves. Given that he's English there's always a premium.

Lets hope he can rise to the challenge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

PHB wrote:
    6.2 million is a good price for Pennant, decent player.

4-5 mill tops.

6.2 is silly.

• Advertisement

Why?

He has always had great potential, it's just Wenger didn't give him a chance.
    He has proven himself at the premiership level.
    He is young
    Liverpool need a right winger

Seems like a fair deal to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

could be a good buy.

half the price of alves. think they want kuyt as well - by the end of the week

Rafa is building a decent team. Could be a good year

I think he is a very good buy. 6.2mil isnt that bad for a winger. Why bid twice that for a player who isnt proven in the premiership at all? Now that would be a big risk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

pennant for that price is reasonable.

Brum paid arsenal 3m for him and they would owe them 25% of any transfer involving him, so they ever never going to settlt for lless than 6million.

Besides he is a good player, a fair sight better than Stead the tubby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I think it's a great deal. He's young, fast and skillful. I think he will flourish in the current Liverpool setup, and gives us options in midfield from an attacking perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

i think its madness paying 6.2 million for a player in the championship
    considering duff went for 5 million, its a bit much IMO

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

How much do you think andy johnston is worth, I'd say at the very least 10 million.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

Maybe we should stick in a bid of £5m for SWP and see if chelski accept it.;)

Personally I think Pennant is a decent player and could add alot to our attacking ability from the right side. He has pace, can beat his man and can also put in a decent cross. This is something the pool have not had for a long long time. Ultimately we need a right winger - Alves is too dear for a right back come right winger. If it means we can get another striker by signing Pennant then I am all for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

yom 1 wrote:
    Ultimately we need a right winger - Alves is too dear for a right back come right winger. If it means we can get another striker by signing Pennant then I am all for it.
    Alves is a right winger, switched right back after Sevilla sold Sergio Ramos, and Jesus Nevas played right wing.

How much do you think andy johnston is worth, I'd say at the very least 10 million.

i would have said five

he had one good season, which happens to a lot of strikers who come up. he scored a bag of goals but something like 8 penalties

i watched a lot of him last year and he was ok, not the best striker in the league or anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

I think I'm a bit closer, he signed for the feckin toffees!!! I remember now, inallinanyways.

With Johnson having indicated a preference for a move to Merseyside, Everton, prompted by the two other bids, improved their offer to £8.6 million the following day, and looked to have secured the striker's signature; on 30 May, he passed his medical, and completed the move to Goodison Park, signing a five-year contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

We should try and get Zoltan Gera if Pennant is costing 6 Million.

Emmo

do many of ye rate kuyt?

i was unconvinced at the WC, though im not just basing it on that. There is something about him i just dont like, i dont think he'd be that good.
    I think klose would be a far better option, though i dont know if he would ba available for the same as kuyt

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

AFAIK Pennant's 6.2 Mill is based on appearances and goals as well!! Alot of papers are reporting that!! And I think it was on sky news this morning aswell!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

According to the radio Pennants undergoing a medical in Liverpool right now.

The high price is because Arsenal get a cut of any sell on fee as was the deal when he was sold to birmingham at a relatively cheap price

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

event wrote:
    do many of ye rate kuyt?

i was unconvinced at the WC, though im not just basing it on that. There is something about him i just dont like, i dont think he'd be that good.
    I think klose would be a far better option, though i dont know if he would ba available for the same as kuyt

I was just thinking the same thing. Although I haven't seen much of him...

i seen stevie G saying before when they have a bad loss they all go to the pub to take their mind off it. will jermaine be allowed? do liverpool have people who look after the younger members of the squad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Lets just hope if he does go he gets a taxi home!

or else we just win every game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I think I'm a bit closer, he signed for the feckin toffees!!! I remember now, the bollix.

I got banned for a week for saying less than that!!

Pennant seems to be on the way, don't think he is worth 6 million seeing as Newcastle got Duff for 5million and he is twice the player Pennant is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Big Nelly wrote:
    I got banned for a week for saying less than that!!

Pennant seems to be on the way, don't think he is worth 6 million seeing as Newcastle got Duff for 5million and he is twice the player Pennant is
    yes but unfortunately Duff is left sided - we're looking for a right-sided player.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement