Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

T&#225 wrote: »
    i seen stevie G saying before when they have a bad loss they all go to the pub to take their mind off it. will jermaine be allowed? do liverpool have people who look after the younger members of the squad?

ye what?

thats some attitude for professional footballers to have

also, if bellamy and pennant are in the same dressing room, there will be fireworks

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Big Nelly wrote:
    Pennant seems to be on the way, don't think he is worth 6 million seeing as Newcastle got Duff for 5million and he is twice the player Pennant is

I think most of us would agree but Pennant is English so there is a extra cost involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

Big Nelly wrote:
    Pennant seems to be on the way, don't think he is worth 6 million seeing as Newcastle got Duff for 5million and he is twice the player Pennant is
    The circumstances surrounding the signing are totally diffwerent. I don't think Rio is worth 30M, but I can understand why he cost as much. Each signing is different. Comparing Pennant and Duff, from a signing on perspective is foolish tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Rafa will get the best out of Pennant
    He reminds me of the tin man in the wiz of oz, has talent and pace, all he needs is a brain. 6 mill is not bad for a young lad like him. I watch him at leeds and he was good, seen him play a few games for Arsenal and was impressed too.

A striker is needed now, and if a quality one is signed I can see Liverpool mounting an even better challenge this season, at least 2nd place....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Or 1st if we get off to a good start!!!

Pennant is only 23 so has a lot of time left in him where as Duff is 27 odd so that is where the price differs IMO!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    yes but unfortunately Duff is left sided - we're looking for a right-sided player.

Tell that to Mourinho who played him alot of the time on the right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Big Nelly wrote:
    Tell that to Mourinho who played him alot of the time on the right
    I could tell Mourinho lots of things. But in all fairness Duff is naturally left sided. He's nowhere near as comfortable on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

event wrote:

also, if bellamy and pennant are in the same dressing room, there will be fireworks
    Why?

Because they have criminal convictions? Poor comment to make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Liverpool are on the verge on signing the young Greek chappie Christodoupoulos, he's passed a medical and is set to sign today to seems. All for 135 grand!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

don't think he is worth 6 million seeing as Newcastle got Duff for 5million and he is twice the player Pennant is

Chelsea can never be used in an example of a transfer, ever!!!

I think that should be added into the charter rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

mike65 wrote:
    Liverpool are on the verge on signing the young Greek chappie Christodoupoulos, he's passed a medical and is set to sign today to seems. All for 135 grand!

Mike.

who is this guy and what age is he??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

rondeco wrote:
    Why?

Because they have criminal convictions? Poor comment to make.

does bellamy have ciminal convictions?
    didnt know that

no, because they are both known as shall we say "awkward" characters

both can be disruptive, though pennant more so

even gerrard said in the paper that he has had run ins with bellamy before

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

yom 1 wrote:
    who is this guy and what age is he??
    He's 20. As for who he is, haven't a clue!

Slurms wrote:
    He's 20. As for who he is, haven't a clue!

well he cant be that good if he is only 135k - yet if he is twenty he should really be pushin for a place in the first team should he not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well Rafa clearly liked what he saw of him at Melwood during his trial and for 135k he can't loose really, he can play a season get some first team action in the league cup and off the bench and if he turns out to be good then great, if he's only decent then by the end of the season he'll be sellable for 500,000 up.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

135k was a release clause in his contract. He's one of greek football's most highly-rated prospects, apparantly.

In Rafa we trust.

Actually Sky Sports got his ae wrong.
    He's only 19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭Táck

In Rafa we trust.

Traore is off to charlton on loan by the looks of things.

In Rafa we trust.

I suppose your right. As mike said if he doesn't work out we'd probably sell him on for 500K - although the pool have a terrible habit of letting players go for free

• Advertisement

rondeco wrote:

Are Charlton really gonna take him and Diao from us - Dowie must be desperate! Quick Rafa offer him a million just make sure it goes through!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

I have heard good things about this Greek lad and with what I heard he is well worth the 135k buy out and as Mike 65 said we could het a good return on the investment if he can't fit into the team.
    Pennant would be a good signing although 6m is a bit too much- 5 is good enough I would say. Rafa could have his hands full with Pennant and also with Bellamy, the latter even more so with the passion he has been talking about the club on liverpoolfc.tv. Pennant has his age going for him and there is no doubting his talent as a right sided midfielfer and he is a really good crosser of the ball.
    I still feel that we need another striker, don't know about kuyt though, and thats not just on his wc performance.

Good that Scott Carson signed a new contract, Great keeper in my eyes, has the potential and also good news that Anderson signs a new contract.

I reckon with Pennant, if he keeps his temper under control aswell as his youth, and another striker, of a high class standard, Liverpool could push chelski and maybe get 2nd this year. They are still building

yom 1 wrote:
    Are Charlton really gonna take him and Diao from us - Dowie must be desperate! Quick Rafa offer him a million just make sure it goes through!

Diao never went on trial. He's gone to the training camp in switzerland with the first team. I dont know what happened.

rondeco wrote:
    Diao never went on trial. He's gone to the training camp in switzerland with the first team. I dont know what happened.

I thought i read that he went on trial with them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The plan was for him to play in the friendly with Charlton against Hibs last night. dont know if he did though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

With Carson staying and signing a new contract and Pennant having a medical today does that mean that a striker is on his way with Dudek being sold off?

2 + 2 = 4?

Emmo

Possible but who?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Probaly gonna be Kuyt

He does seem to be the only one left on the cards but I still don't think he is good enough.....love to be proved wrong though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

rondeco wrote:
    This is a great day for the Empire. It has seen the end of Kenobi, it will soon see the end of Traore.

• Advertisement

Pennant hsa officially signed.

And he was given Didis jersey. He better not disgrace it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

I hope now that the signings of bellamy and pennent dont upset the dynamics of the team. As both have a colourful past lets hope rafa keeps them out of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The plan was for him to play in the friendly with Charlton against Hibs last night. dont know if he did though

Nope, he didnt. http://www.cafc.co.uk/newsview.ink?matchid=4123&type=m

Dammit thought dowie was really stupid there for a sec and gonna take two lemons off us.

Just caught the news on Pennant there.
    £6.7m initiallly and could rise to £8m is far too much I believe but as I said earlier he is a good player and could be the answer (finally) to our right sided problems.
    Best of luck to him

There was a 25% sell on clause with arsenal, could be the reason of the price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

The 25% sell on clause did rise the price, but i'm happy about the deal.
    8 million could well be a bargain by the end of the season.
    I much prefer him to alves who was going to cost 12m!!!! which for a rightback is shocking expensive when you consider he's not even a full international.

So the starting eleven next year could look like this

Reina

Finnan Carragher Hypia Rise/Aurelio

Pennant Gerrard Alonso Gonzalez

Bellamy Crouch

with a subs bench off
    Fowler
    Kewell
    Carson
    Agger
    Paletta
    Zenden
    Sissoko
    Garcia

which is an impressive looking squad.

For the away games i would say that Sissoko will play and they will go for the pace to play counter attack footy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Have pongole and co came back from loan spells yet, interesting to see whats going to happen there.

Have pongole and co came back from loan spells yet, interesting to see whats going to happen there.

Pongolle can go whenever someone makes a bid. Rafa doesn't rate him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Emmo

woodyg wrote:
    So the starting eleven next year could look like this

Reina

Finnan Carragher Hypia Rise/Aurelio

Pennant Gerrard Alonso Gonzalez

Bellamy Crouch

with a subs bench off
    Fowler
    Kewell
    Carson
    Agger
    Paletta
    Zenden
    Sissoko
    Garcia

Nah mate I would put this team out

Reina

Finnan Carragher Hypia Aurelio

Gerrard Sissoko Alonso Kewell

Bellamy Crouch

Carson
    Riise
    Agger
    Gonzalez
    Pennant
    Garcia
    Fowler

And then when Gonzalez is ready swap him and Kewell depening on who has form.

When we need more creativity then stick Pennant in for Momo and bring Gerrard inside. Fowler and Crouch depending on who has form.

Garcia for something else and the big games. Riise and Aurliello fighting for the left back and when Paletta learns decent English him and Agger covering Sami and Carra.

Decent looking side, maybe one more striker?

Emmo

Pennants interview with liverpoolfc.tv. Do you think he will get a run out agianst Kaiserslautern?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152998060726-1737.htm

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

swalsh wrote:
    Pennants interview with liverpoolfc.tv. Do you think he will get a run out agianst Kaiserslautern?

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N152998060726-1737.htm

Is the Kaiserslautern match on saturday not postponed??? I saw it on telly text somewhere last night!!

Not as far as I know but will check

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Delighted with the Pennant signing. I'm not one to brag but I called this transfer about a month before the Premiership season finished! Every time we played Birmingham, Pennant caused us problems and was their best player. I had a feeling Rafa would be suitably impressed and do another Crouch with him.

Pennant will add class and composure to our right hand side. He's not the paciest player but he can still beat his man or maintain posession and he's a good passer and crosser of the ball. There will be balance to the team at last.

Can't wait to see our new signings in action next season!

jonny24ie wrote:
    Is the Kaiserslautern match on saturday not postponed??? I saw it on telly text somewhere last night!!

Can't see it anywhere. The postponed match that I can find is the newcastle match due to the qualifying rounds of the CL

• Advertisement

It was on either ITV or RTE teletext last night in the Pennant story!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

kocktalk is saying that even though it was announced on Sky Sports this morning that the game was postponed, it isn't, and still kicks off at 4:30.

On any channel anyone know?

jonny24ie wrote:

Its still up on the official site as our next game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭bat boy

Read on the official site that its defo on at 4.30 on saturday, despite the rumours is cancelled. It's being shown live on eurosport

If the game was off the official site would have it up by now,they are pretty fast with the news.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement