Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Liverpool v Kaiserslautern is on Eurosport on Saturday, in every country apart from UK, France and Ireland :(

Re the comparisons of the cost of Duff vs the cost of Pennant. Reportedly Duff is on £70k and Pennant is on £25k. That's a difference of £9 million over 4 years - so Pennant will work out as significantly cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭emc2

Dub13 wrote:
    If the game was off the official site would have it up by now,they are pretty fast with the news.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N153001060727-1015.htm

It's still on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N153001060727-1015.htm

Friendlies are still on, Pennant could get a run out. Hope he fits in, must admit I was on of those at anfield singing "you should be in Prison" but he was the oppo then ;)

Most crosses for a winger last season, hopefully if he can stick em on the big lads head or in front of Bellamy the goals will pour in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Club claiming to have the cash for the new stadium
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=17459722%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26headline=cash%2dis%2din%2dplace%2dfor%2dnew%2danfield-name_page.html

Although the word resources is also used instead of cash in the article - maybe Rick got himself a new JCB and a few shovels and has been watching lots of DIY progs ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 536 ✭✭✭swalsh

Diao fails medical at charlton and returns to liverpool, traore could be gone now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,703 ✭✭✭Bacchus

How in the hell did he fail a medical!! Jeez, can we not just get rid of him.

Don't konw but its nearly certain traore is gone, even talks about him playing in the friendly at the weekend (valencia?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Djimi going on a loan with a buy clause ?

option to buy i believe

swalsh wrote:
    Diao fails medical at charlton and returns to liverpool, traore could be gone now

Bascombe just reports:
    Diao returned to Liverpool after postponing a planned trial at The Valley.
    http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=17459742%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26page=2%26headline=pennant%2ddeal%2da%2d%2dgamble%2d-name_page.html

Maybe that's a nice way of saying he failed a medical or a nice way of saying Charlton saw sense (but went for Djimi ?) or maybe the trial just got postponed for some reason.

IIRC he signed a 5 year deal in '02 so should only have 1 year left ? If so just cut our losses and release him..

• Advertisement

zing wrote:
    Bascombe just reports:

http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0500liverpoolfc/0100news/tm_objectid=17459742%26method=full%26siteid=50061%26page=2%26headline=pennant%2ddeal%2da%2d%2dgamble%2d-name_page.html

Maybe that's a nice way of saying he failed a medical or a nice way of saying Charlton saw sense (but went for Djimi ?) or maybe the trial just got postponed for some reason.

IIRC he signed a 5 year deal in '02 so should only have 1 year left ? If so just cut our losses and release him..

it was on sky sport news where i heard he failed the medical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Someone will have to take him out back and do the decent thing!

As for formations how about

Reina
    Finnan---Carra---Hyypia---Riise
    Alonso---Sissoko
    Pennant
    Kewell
    Gerrard
    Crouch

Or subbing Kewell with Gonz and Crouch with Bellamy (Belllemy picking up angled balls rather than crosses a la Crouch).

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Fantastic lineup but will Kewell make it back in time for the new season, i expect Zenden to maybe fill in on the left intially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

mike65 wrote:
    Someone will have to take him out back and do the decent thing!

Reina
    Alonso---Sissoko
    Pennant
    Kewell
    Gerrard
    Crouch

Or subbing Kewell with Gonz and Crouch with Bellamy (Belllemy picking up angled balls rather than crosses a la Crouch).

Mike.
    I can't see him employing that formation unless he gets adequate cover for midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is pennant good enough to walk into the first team ? I think I might prefer this...

Finnan---Carragher---Hypia---Risse/Aurelio

Gerrard---Sissoko---Alonso---Kewell/Gonzalez

Bellamy---Crouch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Slurms wrote:
    I can't see him employing that formation unless he gets adequate cover for midfield.

zenden and garcia can both cover the midfield, then theres adam hammil who might get a break this year

the team is better ballanced now with pennant, hopefully anderson can step up and provide competition on the right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭herbieflowers

yeah why wouldn't Bellamy start? As a non-Pool fan where's Gerrard's best position?

mike65 wrote:

Reina
    Alonso---Sissoko
    Pennant
    Kewell
    Gerrard
    Crouch

Yup - that's definitely a formation :D

Seriously though I just don't understand people posting what our formation might look like when we all know Rafa has yet to use the same starting XI two games on the trot. Taking injuries/suspensions/etc.. into account Rafa fields what he feels is the strongest XI to exploit the weaknesses in any given team and in theory go on to beat them.

Sometimes that starting XI doesn't always make much sense to many of us but I'll still leave it to Rafa to pick that XI..

/end of mini-rant ;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Liverpool v Kaiserslautern is on Eurosport on Saturday, in every country apart from UK, France and Ireland :(
    Hmm, I notice the game is not listed on British Eurosport on Sky, but according to LJ's Football site, it IS on British Eurosport! :confused:

http://www.knplogic.com/sport/DL_sat.html

• Advertisement

zing, twas only a bit of fun!

Its not so much the players as the shape I was thinking of. I can see alot of "one-up-front" football this season, unless Rafa has had a change of heart.

He likes fast wide men and a target with central support which could be Gerrard though just as easily could be Garcia with Gerrard playing more central with Alonso.

The great thing about the way Liverpool is developing is that there are so many possibilites, under Houllier 'Pool became ever more predictable and one dimensional.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

byte wrote:
    Hmm, I notice the game is not listed on British Eurosport on Sky, but according to LJ's Football site, it IS on British Eurosport! :confused:

http://www.knplogic.com/sport/DL_sat.html
    If you go to that page, and click on "friendlies" (linky at the top of the page) you'll see a different list which indicates its not on British Eurosport. I too checked my Sky listings for Saturday and there's no sign of it. I suppose we should still check it out on Saturday, but I dont hold out any hope.

Grasshoppers v Liverpool is live on Channel Five on Tuesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

Liverpool v Macabi Haifa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

****ty draw for us, woulda preferred not to go to Israel.

Wonder if they'll have to play that match on neutral ground?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

PiE wrote:
    ****ty draw for us, woulda preferred not to go to Israel.

Wonder if they'll have to play that match on neutral ground?
    most likely will be played in Cyprus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Due to the current situation I'll imagine it'll be played in Cyprus, but it's only a 5 hour flight away, it ain't that bad. That said, last time they played in Cyprus, didn't they get massive crowds?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Apparently Spurs want Kewell(Cos they didn't get duff) but his wage demands could scupper a deal!! (Not sure how true it is but was in one of this mornings papers)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

jonny24ie wrote:
    Apparently Spurs want Kewell(Cos they didn't get duff) but his wage demands could scupper a deal!! (Not sure how true it is but was in one of this mornings papers)

If they took him for 7 or 8 million that would be a great deal i think. Get a nice striker for ourselves.
    Only downside is spurs are developing quite a good team at the moment. If carrick does go to united spurs will have the cash to fork out for him.

The macabi haifa chairman and a uefa official were both interviewed on skysportsnews earlier and they mentioned that european games involving isreali teams are played in tel-aviv (in the south of the country) but that they were also working on a plan b.the game is due to be played on the 22/23 of august so they will monitor the situation and wait until closer the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    most likely will be played in Cyprus.

too many lebanonese (sp) refugees in Cyprus - security risk.
    seebee wrote:
    The macabi haifa chairman and a uefa official were both interviewed on skysportsnews earlier and they mentioned that european games involving isreali teams are played in tel-aviv (in the south of the country) but that they were also working on a plan b.the game is due to be played on the 22/23 of august so they will monitor the situation and wait until closer the time.

Tel Aviv is also under rocket alert. (first time since 1st gulf war) so that's hardly a safe option - given it's classified as a war zone.

Play it in Goodison IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭event

If they took him for 7 or 8 million that would be a great deal i think. Get a nice striker for ourselves.
    Only downside is spurs are developing quite a good team at the moment. If carrick does go to united spurs will have the cash to fork out for him.

there is no way he is worth that money

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

7 or 8 million euro. I'd say they'd get that for him. The only thing is he is very injury prone and doesnt perform well in cup/league finals.

7 or 8 million euro. I'd say they'd get that for him. The only thing is he is very injury prone and doesnt perform well in cup/league finals.

thats because he only ever manages a few minutes of them before getting injured.

getting more than 5 million for kewell would be an achievement. he had a good season last year, a season this year without injury would be good, assuming he stays

I think Kewell is well worth 7 or 8.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Tusky wrote:
    I think Kewell is well worth 7 or 8.
    Now that spurs have some money. Anything above 5mil is good with me.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you go to that page, and click on "friendlies" (linky at the top of the page) you'll see a different list which indicates its not on British Eurosport. I too checked my Sky listings for Saturday and there's no sign of it. I suppose we should still check it out on Saturday, but I dont hold out any hope.

Grasshoppers v Liverpool is live on Channel Five on Tuesday.
    As mentioned on a seperate thread, the game is confirmed to be shown on British Eurosport!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I think Pennant is a briiliant signing for Liverpool, he will produce quality crosses for Crouch and co. Rafa is doin well in Transfer market, without a doubt the best manager in the premiership since he arrived.

If you get 8m Kewell it will be also a brilliant deal by Liverpool. Enough to get a decent CB as cover for Carragher and Hyypia.

Could push Chelsea all the way this year (coming from Man Utd fan!)

Trilla wrote:
    I think Pennant is a briiliant signing for Liverpool, he will produce quality crosses for Crouch and co. Rafa is doin well in Transfer market, without a doubt the best manager in the premiership since he arrived.

If you get 8m Kewell it will be also a brilliant deal by Liverpool. Enough to get a decent CB as cover for Carragher and Hyypia.

i think rafa sees agger and palleta as the long term replacements and cover for carra and hyypia. but palleta doesnt speak english yet so i dont know how usefull he'll be anytime soon : /

Trilla wrote:

Liverpool certainly dont need any more CBs... I dont think Rafa has done that well in the transfer market this season but I understand the money isnt there so what can you do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tusky wrote:
    Liverpool certainly dont need any more CBs... I dont think Rafa has done that well in the transfer market this season but I understand the money isnt there so what can you do.

Wht? Bellamy was a fantastic signing in my opinion. qway better a signing then Trezeguet which 'pool were linked with. Pennant wasnt that bad either. Who exactly did you want at Liverpool?

• Advertisement

personally i dont think the squad needed alot appart from the obvious.

1 or 2 strikers
    1 or 2 right wingers
    clear some of the dead wood

thats all i was expecting, so i'm happy, would have preferred jesus navas or dani alves as right wingers, but pennant should contribute well, bellamy too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

The Penant signing was reasonable business, although the price was quite high, say in comparison to Bellamy who I rate to be better.

I have no problem off-loading Kewell, even though he did reasonable towards the latter half (wasn't it) of last season. There is no way Liverpool will get 7m for him though. I'd say 4m tops, and I cant see a bidding war for him.

Is Carrick going to Man U then with Ruud van N gone to Madrid and does that give Spurs some extra dough to invest in Kewell?

In terms of whether Liverpool have signed enough to challenge Chelsea, thats hard to know but my money would be on Chelsea. Regardless, Chelsea's key focus next season will be the CL, and they should, if they are smart, use the league as practice sessions to master their CL tactics and style. That may give some opportunity to Liverpool (and Man U, Arsenal, Spurs?). Liverpool could optimise for the league but the CL is so lucrative in terms of cash that everyone wants it, as a top-4 place in the league is enough (yes, really), unless you are sure of winning it.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

A british manager might de-prioritize the Champooins league, not a european manager. On top of that, Rafa is a born winner, he wont send out a team to under-perform or stay in second gear. He will look for the win in all comps and rightly so.

We need one more striker and thats it, the squad is polished. We could have been a contender last season if we hadnt started the premiership so badly. Lets hit the gound running this time : beat the Chavs in the Charity Shield, beat the Israelies and win all of our August league fixtures.

Lets have goals from Bellamy and Fowler, clean sheets at the back, a screamer from Stevie G and a new g/f for Crouchy.

Start as ya mean to go on!

DaBreno wrote:
    A british manager might de-prioritize the Champooins league, not a european manager. On top of that, Rafa is a born winner, he wont send out a team to under-perform or stay in second gear. He will look for the win in all comps and rightly so.

We need one more striker and thats it, the squad is polished. We could have been a contender last season if we hadnt started the premiership so badly. Lets hit the gound running this time : beat the Chavs in the Charity Shield, beat the Israelies and win all of our August league fixtures.

Lets have goals from Bellamy and Fowler, clean sheets at the back, a screamer from Stevie G and a new g/f for Crouchy.

Start as ya mean to go on!

i agree with captain kirk, start as you mean to go on. seeing chelsea 5 points clear at the end of august would be soul destroying for any squad

It says in one of the papers this morning that chelsea are interested in buying Kuyt - looks like jose is getting scared or Rafas men ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well, Chelsea have Drogba, Crespo, Shevchenko and Kalou. Unless of course Crespo is leaving and will need replacing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They can have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

DaBreno wrote:
    On top of that, Rafa is a born winner, he wont send out a team to under-perform or stay in second gear. He will look for the win in all comps and rightly so.

Of course every manager looks for a win in all competitions, but circumstances and reality means that others have higher priority. Unless a manager has a world class 24-man squad which are injury free and match fit and sharp, he has to manage who he plays and rests given the amount of matches played, some 3 in a week, etc. Its all very well in theory saying that each match the best team is played, but in practice none of the top teams do that. Mental effort is also something which needs to be managed. Sure, play one game at a time but any manager that say has a home match against West Ham on a Sat and an away leg against Barcelona in the CL on Tue will clearly have an eye on the 2nd match. As will the players. They are human and limited in energy and capability!

redspider

Crespo is almost certainly off to Milan (its just a question of which one!) while Drogba will go if they get a half-decent offer so Kuyt might'nt be so mad.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Quick question, is Liverpool's friendly match today on tv anywhere? Cheers.

<edit>
    found it, apparently on Eurosport. Thought it was but their site didn't seem to say so when I checked earlier (need more lucozade/sleep). Now just need a pub wit Eurosport :p

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement