Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

tribalfootball - ****e. They could well be right of course!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Everythings a mind game, I don't really care, once Liverpool take some ****ing points off them this season in the league. If Arsenal, Liverpool or Spurs don't take points off them this year, Chelsea will walk the league again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Moving on... Great to see Rafa confident another striker will arrive.

Rafael Benitez today revealed he's confident of bringing another new striker to Anfield before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.The Anfield boss still believes he's one striker short of the ideal squad he'd like to kick off the new Premiership campaign in less than three weeks time.

Benitez admits he probably won't conclude a deal in time to register any new player to take part in the club's Champions League qualifier with Maccabi Haifa, but he hopes to have another new man on board before the August 31 deadline.

"We're continuing to work," he says. "Maybe it's too late for the Champions League qualification round, but there is one month left and that gives us the time to sign the player we need.

"I think we still need an extra striker, just in case. I'm happy with the strikers we have but I think we need another and I'm confident we'll sign one."

Source: The Official LFC Site

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

the only strikers names being thrown around have been kuyt and the young greek striker. supirsed pool didnt make a move for mista, since rafa put him on the map, he was cheap and would have been handy back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Do we still have Pongolle? Maybe rafa might have to give him a better chance now.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Yep we still have Pongolle!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

jonny24ie wrote:

... until he goes off on loan, I fear. Which would be a shame. Interesting how, Liverpool's strike force is shaping up to be an all British affair...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

jonny24ie wrote:

We still have Le Tallec as well, but I've heard nothing about him. At least Pongolle played against Wrexham and might have played since if he hadn't got injured.

Just goes to show how much talent goes to waste. Players who can play in their international teams at all age groups just disappear without trace when it comes to senior level. Remember years ago when Ireland won the U-16 and U-18 championships under Brian Kerr, how many of those players are still even playing?

Lazaros Christodoulopoulos is taking his club to UEFA arbitration to get released from POAK - it looks like he'll be joining.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

what do ye make of this?

http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=407525&CPID=8&clid=14&lid=&title=Reds+target+in+Uefa+appeal

looks very likely to me if its true he has a get-out clause in his contract.

Ahem!

Mike.

shouldnt it be a simple matter of liverpool matching the release clause...offer a contract and...tada! new player?

PAOK are probably after some form of compensation or something because of his age

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

mike65 wrote:
    Ahem!

Mike.
    lol wasnt there when i posted, oh well.

should be a very straightforward matter i'd imagine, the greeks just seem really pissed that he's leaving for such a small amount and want to stall it as best they can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Is he any good ?

Rafa scout liked him enough to invite him to Melwood and Rafa liked him enough to offer him a deal. That'll do.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I think its great that Rafa has the balls to admit it when his singings don't work and has no bother sending them packing sometimes after a very short period at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Dub13 wrote:
    I think its great that Rafa has the balls to admit it when his singings don't work and has no bother sending them packing sometimes after a very short period at the club.
    Did Baragan not look for the move? The buy-back clause would indicate to me that Rafa hasn't given up on him. It could work out very well if he plays one or two good seasons in Spain and then agreed to come back.

In general I agree with you though Dub13 - every manager signs a few dodgy players, Rafa's no exception but he does seem to move on when it's not working.

I am not sure about the Baragan deal maybe he did ask for a move.I was not referring to any particular transfer it was more a general point,many managers try far to hard to hold onto a sub standard player they brought in hopping that he will "come good".

Barragan is good and will be back a better player. he's only a younster still. Depo can do the work and Liverpool can reap the benefit from 2008.

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

mike65 wrote:
    Barragan is good and will be back a better player. he's only a younster still. Depo can do the work and Liverpool can reap the benefit from 2008.

Mike.

Aye.. Barragan's only a wee snapper and didn't settle well away from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Ok what the hell happened?

Beaten 5-0 by Mainz and we had a near full strength team out!?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Mentioned it in the Arsenal thread but thought those of you who don't read that might be interested - Fran Merida was in the squad for an Arsenal reserves friendly tonight, it's on the Arsenal website. No idea if he is still on trial or has actually been signed - I suspect it is the latter though. The exact same thing has happened with Traore (Armand) and others before.

Slurms wrote:

Maybe JM is right :)
    Better it happens now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

Slurms wrote:

Kromkamp (had a bit of nightmare), Paletta, Riise, Hobbs & Traore all with individual mistakes which led to the goals. Very few positives from the game at all; there were barely any chances on goal. Diao was lucky it was only a friendly otherwise he would have walked (for a really bad tackle - could have been a straight red) and then ended up fighting with one of the Mainz players:rolleyes:

Just as well it's only a pre-season friendly!

Shred wrote:
    Kromkamp (had a bit of nightmare), Paletta, Riise, Anderson & Traore all with individual mistakes which led to the goals. Very few positives from the game at all; there were barely any chances on goal. Diao was lucky it was only a friendly otherwise he would have walked (for a really bad tackle - could have been a straight red) and then ended up fighting with one of the Mainz players:rolleyes:

Just as well it's only a pre-season friendly!
    Just hope we pull it together in time for the new Season.

Diao was a disgrace alright. Hopefully its the last time we have to put up with his crap. I didn't see the first half, but once they started the substitutions it became a dreadful slow paced game with very little urgency.

Hobbs was brutal for the last goal. Paletta made a few muck ups as well. I think Carra and Sami can rest easy for another year without being under too much pressure for the first team. No sign of Agger, don't know if he's injured or not.

Anderson had a decent chance, but on this form looks a long way off being a first teamer. Carson without being to blame for any goal didn't hugely impress either. I don't remember him making a save.

5-0 sounds bad, but three of those came in the last five mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Whoa! 5-0. Not ideal preparation at all at all. Although saying that, the goals came after a raft of substitutions at halftime. As you say Stky10, i think Sami, Carragher and Finnan can rest easy knowing their places are safe. Expect much better come next week.

theres no excuse for conceding 5 goals in any match, friendly or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

el rabitos wrote:
    theres no excuse for conceding 5 goals in any match, friendly or not

nope, no excuse ever can be used for losing a game 5-0, it's scientifcally impossible

nope, no excuse ever can be used for losing a game 5-0, it's scientifcally impossible

ok then, let me rephrase for the forest gumps among us

theres no excuse for a team like liverpool conceding 5 goals in any match against such sub par oppostion, friendly or not or weather the players on the pitch are the utility/fringe players or not

They've been sh*te in all the preseason games. Wednesday might show if its something to be worried about or not. Bad result then though might cause a panic. I can't see it though once the normal first team comes together, but its hardly condusive to having competition for places when the players that come in play so badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

el rabitos wrote:
    ok then, let me rephrase for the forest gumps among us

theres no excuse for a team like liverpool conceding 5 goals in any match against such sub par oppostion, friendly or not or weather the players on the pitch are the utility/fringe players or not

fantastic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

who cares? In the first half the liverpool backline of Carra and Hyppia did fine. In the second half the new boys once again cost liverpool 4 goals. riise went mad for his assist. Hobbs was awful as was KronKamp and traore and paletta.

Better to play the new lads in this and to hell cares. You wont see close to the same team on wednesday.

Kromkamp - Paletta - Hobbes - Traore-

What do you expect :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Mentioned it in the Arsenal thread but thought those of you who don't read that might be interested - Fran Merida was in the squad for an Arsenal reserves friendly tonight, it's on the Arsenal website. No idea if he is still on trial or has actually been signed - I suspect it is the latter though. The exact same thing has happened with Traore (Armand) and others before.
    Yeah, a good acquisition for the Goooners alright :(. The lad scored a fine goal by all accounts too.

French duo on way out?

Its been widely reported that Flo-Po and Le Tallac are both out with the former heading to Osasuna and the latter to Sochaux. If thats the case will that be the last of the French players gone? I think so apart from Traore who looks to be heading for Charlton.

Mike.

Well Diao isn't French but bought during the GH period (possibly from the French league?). He was on the pitch against Mainz apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Cant say i am too disappointed. Both were pretty poor. Especially Le tallac.

• Advertisement

Cant say i am too disappointed. Both were pretty poor. Especially Le tallac.

I agree....its sad can you remember the hype they were "apparently" the best two players at one of the youth world cups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Yeah they were the 2 best players in that comp. Le Tallec was class. Houllier paid £3m each for them iirc and Suralex phoned GH to congratulate him on signing them. Le Tallec has been a massive dissapointment, at least Flo has had his moments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Trampas

Any ideas what time uefa are suppose to make the statement about the away leg?

Trampas wrote:
    Any ideas what time uefa are suppose to make the statement about the away leg?

sometime in the afternoon i reckon, rumours saying the tie will be moved to ukraine

Obafemi Martins has supposedly handed in a Transfer Request.

Wouldn't be surprised if we put in an offer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Slurms wrote:
    Obafemi Martins has supposedly handed in a Transfer Request.

Wouldn't be surprised if we put in an offer.

Well if the pool are looking for someone quick then they could do alot worse than Martins, the guy is like lightning.

Gonzalez, Pennant, Bellamy, Martins.

The rest of the team would be nowhere near them on the pitch if they all decided to attack together.

• Advertisement

i've never been a big fan of martins, he's got alot of fine qualitys but theres always something lacking about him that i cant put my finger on, i dunno. he'd be a good addition to any squad though, and pool are short of maybe 1 striker.

given liverpools lack of funds and signing players with reps like bellamy and pennant, i wonder would rafa like the challenge of taking on saviola.

he's notorious for being a whiney girl, but he could be bought for a snip since barca cant get rid of him fast enough. given the funds at rafa's disposel i wonder if he's given any thought toward saviola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

It seems as if the Maccabi Haifa away leg will be played at a neutral venue

Edit- to include link http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/5251556.stm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭galwaydude

It looks like Djimi troare is leaving as he is having his medical at charlton. The fee may be as high as 2 million.

Saviola would be a class signing. He wouldnt cost that much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Seem to be drawing close to securing Dirk Kuyt. Various sites on the internet are claiming that a fee has been agreed.

Hopefully get him signed by the end of the week and put this transfer stuff to one side. Concentrate on the football now.

I wondered too why Rafa wasn't looking at Saviola? Perhaps he'd be a bit weak for the English game?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement