Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I prefer to think of him as an auxilliery striker than a true mf.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

These are the chaps that were given squad numbers...none for TLT or The Mighty Salif surprisingly enough ;)

1. Jerzy Dudek
    2. Jan Kromkamp
    3. Steve Finnan
    4. Sami Hyypia
    5. Daniel Agger
    6. John Arne Riise
    7. Harry Kewell
    8. Steven Gerrard
    9. Robbie Fowler
    10. Luis Garcia
    11. Mark Gonzalez
    12. Fabio Aurelio
    14. Xabi Alonso
    15. Peter Crouch
    16. Jermaine Pennant
    17. Craig Bellamy
    20. Scott Carson
    22. Momo Sissoko
    23. Jamie Carragher
    24. Florent Sinama Pongolle
    25. Pepe Reina
    26. Paul Anderson
    28. Stephen Warnock
    29. Gabriel Paletta
    32. Boudewijn Zenden
    33. Neil Mellor
    34. Darren Potter
    35. Danny Guthrie
    36. Adam Hammill
    37. Lee Peltier
    38. Craig Lindfield
    39. Stephen Darby

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Did Darren Potter not sign for s'ton this summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Space Coyote

Hmm not sure....he was on loan with them from Jan to May this year. Think he just returned to the Pool. May be wrong though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Seaneh wrote:
    Did Darren Potter not sign for s'ton this summer?
    Nope. Didn't really play much for them when he went on loan.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Hmmm, pitty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

eirebhoy wrote:
    Nope. Didn't really play much for them when he went on loan.

He came on as a sub when they played Newcastle in the televised FA Cup match. He did okay, but he needs to bulk up a bit and impose himself more. At least they played him in the middle where he should be, rather than out on the right where Benitez played him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

surprised Reina didn't get #1

Silly season still in full swing.

The Daily Star on Sunday reckons if Chelsea don't get Cole they table a 15 million bid for Riise!!!!!!!!!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

mike65 wrote:
    Silly season still in full swing.

The Daily Star on Sunday reckons if Chelsea don't get Cole they table a 15 million bid for Riise!!!!!!!!!

Mike.

i can just see riise playing for chelsea now with his big liverpool tattoo on his arm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Also from the Rags....

Liverpool are interested in signing Germany and Werder Bremen forward Miroslav Klose. (The People)

Liverpool's bid for Feyenoord's Dirk Kuyt is off. (Sunday Mirror)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

Aparently Dirk ****es agent has said he wants to play for Newcastle so he can be a hero like he is at Feynoord, but will probly end up playing at Liverpool.

Thats my mind made up if its true I dont want any player that would rather play for Newcastle over Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I don't think spending £10M on Kuyt would fit in with Rafa's spending patterns. We're not exactly stuck for a striker at the moment. We often only play with one up front anyway. Someone like Kuyt probably won't want to be used as rotation.

I'm not sure we need Kuyt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Realisticly we need 4 strikers (and realisticly Sinama isn't one of them). 10mil isn't huge money for a striker and I reckon Kuyt would be far better on the end of the service that will hopefully be provided by Pennant et all than Crouch (yes he scored a header yesterday, I'm amazed :)).

According to friends who were at the Reading match Kuyt looked very good, and reports from Feyenoord v 'Boro were good too afair. He had a poor world cup but so did Henry, forget about what we saw or didn't see there. There's rumours from people who got to talk to the Feyenoord players & staff after the Reading match that they're all resigned to loosing Dirk to Liverpool, at this stage it's the finances that need to be organised - i.e. how much of the fee is paid upfront, installments etc.

I'm hoping he signs - and after that I'm hoping himself and Bellers can play nicely with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

Aparently Dirk ****es agent has said he wants to play for Newcastle so he can be a hero like he is at Feynoord, but will probly end up playing at Liverpool.

Thats my mind made up if its true I dont want any player that would rather play for Newcastle over Liverpool.

These 'stories' all originated from the same website apparently and there were other 'stories' about some of Spurs' targets too (who were referred to as a "small club" and Newcastle a "big club"). The common thread of these 'stories' was that everyone of the players' first choice would be Newcastle so I'd take them with a pinch of salt:rolleyes: . Have a look at Rushian's post here http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=137166.320.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

zing wrote:
    I'd say so, I doubt Rafa's even considering any right-sided players now. Unless we've unearthed money to pay for Alaves, a striker and a stadium then I'd be amazed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

'Cos he's being interviewed by his local newspaper and wants to keep up relations with his fellow localfolk, I'd imagine. Means nothing in the grand scheme of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭bbop

It seems Kuyt and Matthew Kilgallon will come in with Pongolle going to Leeds as part of the deal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N153163060814-1624.htm

Poor fella - potentially back to playing behind Traore :p

Ha! Beat me to it.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Kuyt apparently signs by end of the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

bbop wrote:
    It seems Kuyt and Matthew Kilgallon will come in with Pongolle going to Leeds as part of the deal

I'd be very suprised by this. We dont need cover for CB and i cant see Leeds seeling him just for Pongolle.

King wont be a happy camper if it does happen.

In the last week I started to notice an alarming number of articles and words in passing which suggest by some that the only team that can stop Chelsea winning 3 in a row is Liverpool.

Now its nice to be given a shout but is it just cos the pres want some change or do they really think Pool can win thier first prem title?

I prefered it when we were dismissed as not even top 3 material, at least there ws the chance of an upset, this time it feels like the pressure is on and we have'nt even started yet.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

well we had many seasons of no pressure/ low expectation football, and in those seasons we haven't won the league so maybe its about time that everything changed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

well we had many seasons of no pressure/ low expectation football, and in those seasons we haven't won the league so maybe its about time that everything changed.

There is always pressure when playing for LFC.

To answer your question Mike I think its a bit of both,we are certainly the best equipped to run Chelski close,but I think the papers are hyping it up a notch or two.

Odds on betfair have Arsenal second favourites and Liverpool and United close after that. I think Arsenal will have a fantastic team but a lot for them will depend on whether they can be dominant moving into their new stadium.

There's been a lot of rumblings in the last day or two about Kuyt bigging up Newcastle and also O'Neill wanting him at Villa. According to the Guardian (fantastic paper) though he's told Feyenoord that he only wants to join Liverpool http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1850967,00.html

Seems to me there's been huge efforts to create a bidding war...

• Advertisement

Saw that article just now, I think its in the bag and has been for a while. If Kuyt wants to join Pool I don't think any extra cash put up by Sheppard will matter.

On another matter Darren Potter is on a season loan to Wolves.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Did anyone see the (obviously) bitter comments from Roeder, saying he has his doubts about Kuyt as he lacks pace - meant to have turned down 90k a week to sign for Barcodes so he can play CL footy with us for 40k.Getting really irked that they snap at our heels in the transfer marked(Owen/Duff) when in football terms they'll never compete.....joke of a club

Yes, i like this bit from the Guardian article particularly
    Funds are relatively tight at Anfield and, while Liverpool could offer Feyenoord a deal worth up to £10m for the international, they would look to stagger payments over the course of his contract.
    Perhaps only something like 7mil initially + the rest after performances + appearances. Looks like a good deal if Kuyt can reproduce his Dutch League form + goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭madds

Granted I'm a Man Utd fan, but Kuyt just didn't cut the mustard for me during the WC, and I fail to see why everyone is chasing this guy (Liverpool, Arsenal, Newc, Villa, etc.)

Full of honest effort, he just seemed to huff and puff his way through matches. I remember one game where he was pushed wide left and the intention was to allow him to cut in on his right foot.

His attempts and trying to control the ball were feeble, and when he did manage that, actually beating a defender with the ball were embarassing.

Is he a quality player? Looks to me like he's an Ian Dowie-type player tbh.

Madds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

madds wrote:
    Granted I'm a Man Utd fan, but Kuyt just didn't cut the mustard for me during the WC, and I fail to see why everyone is chasing this guy (Liverpool, Arsenal, Newc, Villa, etc.)

Full of honest effort, he just seemed to huff and puff his way through matches. I remember one game where he was pushed wide left and the intention was to allow him to cut in on his right foot.

His attempts and trying to control the ball were feeble, and when he did manage that, actually beating a defender with the ball were embarassing.

Madds
    Thats just from the WC though. Henry had a piss-poor WC, but he's still quality. Same with Sheva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

madds wrote:

Madds

Brazil had a piss poor world cup, how do you rate them ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Lampard had a piss poor world cup.

Dwight Yorke had a great world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Lampard had a crap second half of the season which carried over to the world cup.

Quite a few players had a bad world cup. The supposed best player in the world didn't stand out at all.

WC is no performance indicator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

zabbo wrote:
    WC is no performance indicator.
    We hope :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭BolBill

thewing wrote:
    Did anyone see the (obviously) bitter comments from Roeder, saying he has his doubts about Kuyt as he lacks pace - meant to have turned down 90k a week to sign for Barcodes so he can play CL footy with us for 40k.Getting really irked that they snap at our heels in the transfer marked(Owen/Duff) when in football terms they'll never compete.....joke of a club

No trophies since the 50's, I agree, a complete joke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭gary the great

We'll get another look at Kuyt 2nite hopefully, he'll probly be starting seeing as RVN isnt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The dutch league is about as good an indicator of how well a player wil play in england as the french league. Cant say I'm looking forward to the prospect of Kuyt joining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Stekelly wrote:
    The dutch league is about as good an indicator of how well a player wil play in england as the french league.
    Well lets hope he proves us all wrong like horse face did when he moved to Man U from PSV....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Kuyt's interniew on Sky Sports news this evening all but said that he would be a Liverpool player in the next few days. He seemed Quite excited by it aswell. The only question to ask now is is that the end of Rafa's summer spending?

Personally I think that the inclusion of Kuyt would see an excellent summer. All posirions covered. And it has been a long time since we have been able to say that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

ye but look at his hair!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

looks like yer wan "liz" from corrie minus the tits

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

woulda ya tho? still?

Sajan wrote:
    All posirions covered. And it has been a long time since we have been able to say that.
    That's dangerous talk ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Let's hope Kuyt turns out to be more Van Nistelrooy than Kezman - both were goal machines in the Dutchy league as well....was played out of position last nite, but looked well, apart from one skyed shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,304 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

apparently when kuyt deal is done theres to be one more, who i dunno but im sure we'll hear :)

From SSN:
    Liverpool are believed to be close to clinching the signing of Dutch international Dirk Kuyt.

Reports emanating from Holland claim Liverpool have won the race for the Feyenoord striker.

The Reds are believed to have beaten Newcastle to the punch for Kuyt even though Magpies boss Glenn Roeder was in Dublin on Wednesday to watch the payer in action for Holland.

Kuyt's future has been the subject of intense speculation all summer with a number of top clubs across Europe expressing an interest in signing him.

Liverpool are reported to have agreed a fee with Feyenoord for Kuyt and the Dutch club have given them permission to open talks with the prolific forward.

Kuyt is expected to arrive on Merseyside on Thursday to open talks and undergo a medical.

The former Utrecht man has hinted that he is close to sealing a move with Liverpool his preferred destination.

"There are a few clubs interested - but only one is my dream club," Kuyt told Sky Sports News.

"I don't want to say anything about that - but I think we can say more in a few days."

Liverpool could offer Dutch defender Jan Kromkamp as a makeweight in the deal with the player seemingly surplus to requirements to Anfield.

The FA Cup holders could also help fund the deal by selling Florent Sinama Pongolle to Lyon.

Lyon boss Gerard Houllier is a big fan of Pongolle having signed him when he was in charge of Liverpool and is considering bringing him back to France.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement