Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Slurms wrote:
    didnt see the match but I heard Aurelio was poor. Which surpised me because when I saw him in the Charity Shield he seemed very good.

It will be nice to see Agger get a run out, as he impressed me in the Charity Shield considering he had no pre-season. Warnock will also get a look in at LB.

Aurelio wassnt poor at all apart from defending the free kick. He set Bellamy up with a wonderful pass for a diving header and almost scored himself with a free kick that was tipped over the bar. I thought he looked a strong, intelligent player with some amazing passing ability. Maybe not completely in tune with the other players but thats to be expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Tusky wrote:
    Aurelio wassnt poor at all apart from defending the free kick. He set Bellamy up with a wonderful pass for a diving header and almost scored himself with a free kick that was tipped over the bar. I thought he looked a strong, intelligent player with some amazing passing ability. Maybe not completely in tune with the other players but thats to be expected.

Agreed.
    Kromkamp was poor. Deserved a beating for kicking the ball off the striker in injury time. If he can be sold before transfer window closes, we will sign lucas neill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Nephew

Will the cl qualifier 2nd leg be on itv?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tusky wrote:

So he did well going forward and was poor at the back, forgive me, but I thought he was playing at the back. We scored without his imput but the goal was his fault and his alone. Agger was as bad because if the ball had missed aurellio's man , aggers man was comign right in behind to score himself. So if he hadnt arsed up the defending on the free kick , it'd be 3 points instead of 1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭Kulgan

Nephew wrote:
    Will the cl qualifier 2nd leg be on itv?

Yes
    19:30 Champions League Live Maccabi Haifa v Liverpool (Kick-off 7.35pm). Coverage of the second leg of the third-round qualifier at the Valery Lobanovskiy Stadium in Kiev, where the Reds hold a 2-1 lead from the first leg. Liverpool scraped a victory at Anfield, coming from behind to win, thanks to goals by new signings Craig Bellamy and Mark Gonzalez, and Rafael Benitez will hope his men don't slip up against the Israeli champions this evening, with a place in the lucrative group stages at stake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

Kulgan wrote:
    Yes

19:30 Champions League Live Maccabi Haifa v Liverpool (Kick-off 7.35pm). Coverage of the second leg of the third-round qualifier at the Valery Lobanovskiy Stadium in Kiev, where the Reds hold a 2-1 lead from the first leg. Liverpool scraped a victory at Anfield, coming from behind to win, thanks to goals by new signings Craig Bellamy and Mark Gonzalez, and Rafael Benitez will hope his men don't slip up against the Israeli champions this evening, with a place in the lucrative group stages at stake.

You never mentioned which channel - it's on ITV1/UTV.

For the record the following two sites are invaluable resources when it comes to football on TV.
    http://www.knplogic.com/ (which now appears to be known as http://liveonsat.com/)
    http://www.satfootball.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

zing wrote:
    You never mentioned which channel - it's on ITV1/UTV.

Potayto/Potawto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

so why did Kromkamp play and not Finnan?

Lex Luthor wrote:
    so why did Kromkamp play and not Finnan?

Finnan is injured. Can't remember the details but I don't think it's particularly serious and he could even be back in the squad for tomorrow.

Stekelly wrote:
    So he did well going forward and was poor at the back, forgive me, but I thought he was playing at the back. We scored without his imput but the goal was his fault and his alone. Agger was as bad because if the ball had missed aurellio's man , aggers man was comign right in behind to score himself. So if he hadnt arsed up the defending on the free kick , it'd be 3 points instead of 1.

I think youre being far too hard on him. He started the game at left wing and was moved back because of Risse injury. Are you forgetting its his first ever game in the premiership ? I thought he was good at defending, apart from the freekick. Everyone knows zonal marking can be difficult to get the hang of...

I think aurelio could well turn out to be sissoko of this summers transfer market. Give him time.

my prediction for tomorrow :

Reina

Krompkamp-Hypia-Agger--Aurleio

Sissoko--Alonso
    Gerrard
    Gonzalez
    Garcia

Crouch

OR

Reina

Krompkamp-Hypia-Agger--Aurleio

Sissoko--Alonso
    Pennant
    Garcia
    Gerrard

Crouch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Stekelly wrote:
    . We scored without his imput but the goal was his fault and his alone. Agger was as bad because if the ball had missed aurellio's man , aggers man was comign right in behind to score himself. So if he hadnt arsed up the defending on the free kick , it'd be 3 points instead of 1.
    Thats a very childish way of looking at a game, blaming Aurelio and Agger for costing us two points.

What about Kromkamp being poor the whole game?
    What about Sissoko having his worst game in about 9 months?
    What about Rafa continuing to pick Zenden who'll never be good enough to be a central midfielder for Liverpool?
    Fowler's touch certainly had a pre-season feel?
    What about Rafa taking off Fowler instead of Zenden with only 7 minutes left?
    What about bringing Pennant on to run at their defence and then not passing the ball to him?
    What about the whole first half when as a unit we were crap?
    What about the last 20 minutes when as a unit we were crap?

Aurelio cost us a goal. The mistake should not have cost us two points - that was down to the the whole team and management. The overall performances of Aurelio, Agger and Bellamy were three of the positives I took from the game. There were a lot more negatives. But its only one game. Move on and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Agree 100% with The Rooster.Zenden is backup at best, never first choice.Whole team has to have a good look at themselves, it was as bad as Fulham away last year - let's hope it kick starts them in the same fashion.

thewing wrote:
    Agree 100% with The Rooster.Zenden is backup at best, never first choice.Whole team has to have a good look at themselves, it was as bad as Fulham away last year - let's hope it kick starts them in the same fashion.

Ive said it time and time again, I dont rate Zenden at all.

[edit] Finnan wont travel with the team, still injured. Uh oh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I agree 80% with Rooster - was Zenden not playing on the left and Gerrard and Sissoko in the middle. Whatever about Zenden in the middle, I think he's poor on the left and that's where he was unfortunately.

It's a slow start but that might be a good thing, the hype as all getting a bit silly after beating Chelsea, deservedly or not...

p.pete wrote:
    I agree 80% with Rooster - was Zenden not playing on the left and Gerrard and Sissoko in the middle. Whatever about Zenden in the middle, I think he's poor on the left and that's where he was unfortunately.

It's a slow start but that might be a good thing, the hype as all getting a bit silly after beating Chelsea, deservedly or not...

Aurelio started on the left but went back to LB and Gonzalez came on on the left. Zenden played CM for the whole game.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

You are forgetting that when asked about competition for places at Left Back, Riise told journalists that Rafa had said to him that Aurelio was being brought in as a winger, not a defender. Stephen Warnock seems to have been forgotten in this discussion, despite being a solid player. He can and should step into the left back berth while Riise is out of action.

spockety wrote:
    You are forgetting that when asked about competition for places at Left Back, Riise told journalists that Rafa had said to him that Aurelio was being brought in as a winger, not a defender. Stephen Warnock seems to have been forgotten in this discussion, despite being a solid player. He can and should step into the left back berth while Riise is out of action.

I would go for Aurelio over Warnock...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Tusky wrote:
    So would I, but I would like to see Warnock giving a run of games, right now with injurys to the back 4, I'd like to see Auerlio at Left Wing, to provide defensice cover.

No excuses from Auerlio on the free kick, he would know more than anyone about Rafa's zonal defending system.

Let's see how other teams do against Shef Utd away before this can be put into context, as a result 1-1 isn't too bad, but the performance was lacking.

Roll on Tuesday night

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Tusky wrote:

Why, exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Shred

I was pretty disapointed with the game the weekend, the performance was quite poor overall. I just hope the pool aren't gonna have another slow start like last year as they'll be a game behind by the time the weekend comes along already and Westham will be a tough game. Zenden was pretty poor at the weekend alright, but so were most of the team. So far he hasn't done too well at either LM or CM (I know he's only played 10-15 games), but he can also play LB I believe so maybe he'll be given a shot there and alternate between Aurelio/Gonzales at LM while Riise is injured? Right back is a problem if Finnan is injured because Kromkamp will be cup tied if he plays tomorrow night which might hinder selling him. Then with Carra injured there's no other option (short of playing Gerrard/Pennant there!) for RB is there? All in all not an ideal opening weekend:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

spockety wrote:
    Why, exactly?

ive never seen a player more uncomfortable on the ball than warnock. he has a panic attack as soon as he has to carry the ball for a couple of seconds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do you think we could get Djimi back on loan? ;)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Do you think we could get Djimi back on loan? ;)

Mike.

sure he's better than warnock imo

My starting 11 for tomorrow

Reina
    Finnan--Hyypia--Agger--Aurelio
    Pennant,Gerrard, Sissoko, Gonzalez,
    Bellamy, Crouch.

Dudek, Kromkamp, Warnock, Alonso, Luis Garcia, Fowler,

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    My starting 11 for tomorrow

Reina
    Finnan--Hyypia--Agger--Aurelio
    Pennant,Gerrard, Sissoko, Gonzalez,
    Bellamy, Crouch.

Dudek, Kromkamp, Warnock, Alonso, Luis Garcia, Fowler,

Mike.

Finnan didnt travel, still has a knock. Might be a tricky situation for Rafa, if he plays krompkamp he will be cup tied and might make selling him a little more difficult. I also think Garcia will start given his record in champions league and seeing as he didnt feature at the weekend.

(I think hes scored more goals in champions league than any other Liverpool player)

• Advertisement

Sh1te! I'd sooner see 3 across the back then

Reina
    ---Agger--Hyypia--Aurelio
    Sissoko--Alonso
    Pennant---Gerrard---Gonzo
    Bellamy---Crouch

I'd leave Garcia until 25 mins from time.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

It's unlikely he's going to start playing 3 at the back - I'd say there's more chance of Gerrard getting put there :s Also I'd predict 5 across the middle, Alonso (instead of either Bellers or Crouch) and Garcia (instead of either Pennant or Gonzo) both starting.

Whatever the starters I'd say we're expecting a tough game and will start 4-5-1. I'm not expecting it to be pretty but hopefully the job gets done...

mike65 wrote:
    Sh1te! I'd sooner see 3 across the back then

Reina
    ---Agger--Hyypia--Aurelio
    Sissoko--Alonso
    Pennant---Gerrard---Gonzo
    Bellamy---Crouch

I'd leave Garcia until 25 mins from time.

Mike.

I think youre fairly off with this one Mike! I wouldnt mind seeing that formation, very attacking. If he picks that team to start I will eat my hat :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

This is gonna be a shut-out match I reckon. We have the lead, so we'll be looking to protect it. Think the Juve second leg in 2005.

i predict speed

haifia have to score, so they have to attack, which means rafa will go for speed to catch them on the break

whatever line up it is, bellamy and pennant will start

wouldnt be shocked to see gerrard start at rb if it helps sell that rainman kronkamp

• Advertisement

Rafa can't afford to play a "shut-out", Pool only have a 'half-goal' lead in effect, if Maccabi score anytime before about 75 mins and we have'nt they will then turn the defence tactic on Pool (if they still have'nt scored with the clock running out they'll proberly go into panic mode and be easy to pick off).

So attack is the best form of defence - if Pool score a goal Haifa will have it all to do.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Hey guys, any links for Finnan not travelling?
    Was surprised to hear that as i thought i read earlier that he did travel.

Anyways, this will be the team ;)

Reina
    Finnan --- Hyypia ---- Agger ---- Aurelio
    Pennant --- Alonso --- Sissoko --- Gonzalez,
    Gerrard
    Bellamy

Finnan is there! He took part in training this afternooon. Gerrard did'nt take much part in training but is fit to play.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Excellent, although i won't be entirely surpised if Benitez sticks with Kromkamp (but i hope not!).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Just put Gerard in right back and play Alonso and Sissoko in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Just put Gerard in right back .

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Trilla wrote:
    :eek:

??

Trilla, Gerrard has played there before - like extra time in a certain game in Istanbul.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

yeah but he's meant to be our captain, key player, talisman, star midfielder whatever, not our John O'Shea!

Don't forget the match has a slightly non standard ko time at 19:35 - not the usual 19:45 or 20:05 we're used to for cl games. So get to the pubs that few minutes earlier ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭seabee

mike65 wrote:
    Trilla, Gerrard has played there before - like extra time in a certain game in Istanbul.
    He played there a few times when he first broke into the team....but i don't think it will happen again for a while. If rafa doesn't want to cup-tie konkramp he can play 3 at the back (as suggested above) with pennant and aurellio playin' as wing-backs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭Jazzy

im working for this :/ ne got any live streams for me ?? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Whatever about playing anywhere across the middle, I can't see Gerrard being too happy about being played at RB.

If he keeps getting shunted around I reckon it'll cause issues before too long.

I would like to see...

Reina

Finnan---Hypia---Agger---Aurelio

Gerrard--Sissoko--Alonso--Gonzalez

Crouch--Bellamy

With Pennant coming on for Crouch at some stage and Gerrard moving in to the middle. Maybe Garcia showing himself at some stage also.

Injury list

Carra
    Riise
    Warnock
    Sissoko
    Kewell

Do you think Rafa might buy some cheap cover? Or will he mend and make do? Sissoko will be out for up to 3 weeks.

Mike.

i hear theres a good player at man city that could do a good job in sissoko's position, german i think he is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Sissoko out for 2-3 weeks kind of came as a relief for me. I thought it looked far more serious.. Might see Stevie in hte middle for the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

1 more left sided injury and Zenden will be the 1st choice left winger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

At least this injruy spate didnt happen last season.

• Advertisement

Shouldnt be too much of a problem, Gerrard & Alonso in the middle. Good chance for Aurelio, Gonzalez Pennant to get plenty of games and a chance to impress.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement