Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

el rabitos wrote:
    i hear theres a good player at man city that could do a good job in sissoko's position, german i think he is

The move to Man City was a Hamann decision, not a Benitez one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭futuredeath

i know this isn't the nicest thing to say but the injuries are maybe a good thing if you think about it this way - carra, riise and sissoko are more or less definate to start every match when fit,
    so your looking at Agger getting a chance, also maybe palleta in the centre for carra,
    then aurelio who already looks good will get a chance to settle into left back here especially now that warnock is gone also,
    with sissoko gone gerrard should pop back into the centre meaning pennant should get more time on the right,
    and finally with aurelio and riise not available for left midfield we'll see more and more of gonzalez,
    and also less 4-5-1 might mean a strike partnership of some description might began to materialize.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

With the squad we have we are well able to cope with injuries in any position. At the moment we're still not weak in any position depsite the injuries, so no need for a panic-buy. In addition all the injuries are short-term and most should be available not long after the international break.

I just the hope Rafa doesnt make the same mistake he made for Sheff Utd and plays Stevie in the middle - as opposed to on the right with Zenden in the middle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

With the squad we have we are well able to cope with injuries in any position. At the moment we're still not weak in any position depsite the injuries, so no need for a panic-buy. In addition all the injuries are short-term and most should be available not long after the international break.

I just the hope Rafa doesnt make the same mistake he made for Sheff Utd and plays Stevie in the middle - as opposed to on the right with Zenden in the middle.

Pennant--Gerrard--Alonso--Gonzalez

is by FAR the strongest midfield we could field. Leave Zenden OUT.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

spockety wrote:
    The move to Man City was a Hamann decision, not a Benitez one.

when u tell a player he wont be playing much football at all, even less than last season and that he'd be doing the club a favour by leaving....then its pretty much a polite way of saying "get the hell out of here".

letting hamann go was a god awfull idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

el rabitos wrote:
    when u tell a player he wont be playing much football at all, even less than last season and that he'd be doing the club a favour by leaving....then its pretty much a polite way of saying "get the hell out of here".

letting hamann go was a god awfull idea
    Let's be honest here, Hamann played 17 league games last year four as a substitute, Sissoko also missed a large part of the season through injury. Sissoko has further developed as a player and will be starting a hell of a lot more this year.

Letting Hamann go, on a free transfer despite having an option for another year, was if anything Benitez doing Didi a favour for all his service. Hamann wanted a further two years as it was "the best decision for his future".

Do you not think if Hamann was happy to play less than 10 league games this year (which wouldn't even see him earn a league medal should Liverpool win the trophy) that RB wouldn't do everything keep him on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Benitez's link with Valencia is proving useful for both clubs perhaps. Its an unusual relationship on one hand as the clubs did not have any traditional linkage before Benitez arrived, and after he arrived you could expect that his former employers may not have been too mujch in favour of doing any favourable business with Liverpool. However, the opposite has been the case and this perhaps is a very positive sign of just how good, sensible, honest, respected, etc, that Rafa is as a person. Both clubs trust him.

Aurelio has just come from there, and Morientes, according to this picture, seems to be working out ok for them:
    http://www.uefa.com/Competitions/UCL/FixturesResults/Round=2356/match=84630/report=RP.html

The injuries are a bit of a worry. The squad has been reduced this year and llast year we didnt have that many injuries which may have lead us to a false sense of security. I hope Gerrard doesnt get injured or our season could have a blip.

For me, it looks like its once again going to be a year to aim for cups, rather than the league. I dont mind that at all. 2nd in the league would be good enough with this squad and player quality in my opinion.

Redspider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

It was weird last night, Aurelio to Gonzales to Garcia to Alonso to etc! From being a classic North European biased club we are now thoroughly inter-continental. When Rafa packs it in will that continue I wonder.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Anyone else a bit worried bout the coming season?

I mean we're leaking way too many goals. I'd say (including pre-season) we're average over 1 goal a match.
    What happened to our water tight defense?

Slurms wrote:
    Anyone else a bit worried bout the coming season?

I mean we're leaking way too many goals. I'd say (including pre-season) we're average over 1 goal a match.
    What happened to our water tight defense?

Yup, we have been fairly dire in every game apart from the Charity Shield. Havent looked paticularly good going forward, v.shakey in defence. I think we will improve for sure but when you put our start next to Man utd or Chelseas its a little dissapointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Tusky wrote:
    but when you put our start next to Man utd or Chelseas its a little dissapointing.
    ManU - played one, won one - achieved: 3 points
    Chelsea - played two, won one & lost one - achieved: 3 points
    Liverpool - played four, won two & drawn two - achieved: 1 point, Community Shield, CL qualification.

I'm not happy we drew with Sheffield but our main focus was the CL and it's tricky away qualifier. Now we've one game against West Ham before the season's interupted for internationals, hopefully we win that but then everyone needs to hit the ground running after the gap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

I'm not disappointed at all to the beginning of the season.

Sheffield United is going to be a tough place for a lot of teams to visit. I backed a draw as I had a strong feeling that it would be, particularly considering the history between Warnock and the club in recent seasons.

The Charity Shield was a good result, but I won't get carried away with it. Lays the marker down for Chelsea.

We qualified for the CL, end of story, performance or result doesn't matter. I doubt many people remember the results of the games or aggregate score the year we won the CL, and I don't blame because they were irrelevant once you qualify for the league stages.

I expect Liverpool to win 3-0 against West Ham this weekend to ease all the doubters. Bellamy and Crouch to start up front and to get all the goals between them.

p.pete wrote:
    ManU - played one, won one - achieved: 3 points
    Chelsea - played two, won one & lost one - achieved: 3 points
    Liverpool - played four, won two & drawn two - achieved: 1 point, Community Shield, CL qualification.

I'm not happy we drew with Sheffield but our main focus was the CL and it's tricky away qualifier. Now we've one game against West Ham before the season's interupted for internationals, hopefully we win that but then everyone needs to hit the ground running after the gap.

Yeah..but our general play over the 4 games hasnt been anywhere near as good as Man utd & Chelsea in their first. We have also conceided in every game. Dont get me wrong, we will improve. Im just a little disapointed.

Tusky wrote:
    Yeah..but our general play over the 4 games hasnt been anywhere near as good as Man utd & Chelsea in their first. We have also conceided in every game. Dont get me wrong, we will improve. Im just a little disapointed.
    Well we play well and beat Chelsea. When have we ever played well in CL qualifiers? TNS were made to look decent last year! And as what Jivin said, Sheffield is always going to be a difficult place to go to.

I'll be hugely disappointed if we don't start producing good performances from here on, despite all the injuries, but for the start of the season we've achieved our main objectives. I don't mind if it wasn't pretty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

It has been a shakey start, but we have new players who we all know need time to settle. We will kick back into our usual tight defence like last season but this season we have much more options up front so i think we will score alot more than before.

Our expectations are higher now than they were at this stage last season so there's more dissapointment when theres points dropped. I think in the season 07/08 we will see just how good Rafa is!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

So Lucas Neill then? Another "bad boy" signing?

Just speculation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    So Lucas Neill then? Another "bad boy" signing?

I can't see it happening, or if it does him being anything other than the new Josemi who only gets played when injury levels reach crisis point. He's awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Stky10 wrote:
    who only gets played when injury levels reach crisis point. He's awful.
    Probably cos he'll have injured them in training ;)

But seriously, he's a decent player but doesn't he have a bit of 'history' with some 'Pool players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

SofaKing wrote:
    But seriously, he's a decent player but doesn't he have a bit of 'history' with some 'Pool players?

As described by cr*ptalk

"Liverpool fans will recall the nasty incident when he broke Jamie Carragher's leg in the 2003-04 season which sparked a bitter feud between Gerard Houllier and Graeme Souness. Weeks later Neill saw red again against Liverpool when the two sides met in the Carling Cup."

I still think he's a squad player at best. Understudy to Finnan....

Woodgate?

Tbh I'd prefer him over Neill. But I wouldnt really want either of them signed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Lucas Neill is generally a good player. But he makes mistakes. His mistake at the weekend cost blackburn a goal - and it wasnt the first time he's done something similar. Also remember he cost the Aussies a peno in the world cup. Okay, there was a dive element, but it was a very rash challenge, no need for it, bad stupid decision to dive in like that.

I wouldnt like him at Liverpool.

If Woodgate was available cheap I wouldnt say no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Meh. Woodgate is very injury prone and I doubt very much that we need another defender. I quite like the look of the squad the way it is. If any more wonga is shelled out may it be on the Right of midfield where we only have Pennant.

He would be cheap. But his wage demands wouldn't be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭AthAnRi

Lucas Neill is generally a good player. But he makes mistakes. His mistake at the weekend cost blackburn a goal - and it wasnt the first time he's done something similar. Also remember he cost the Aussies a peno in the world cup. Okay, there was a dive element, but it was a very rash challenge, no need for it, bad stupid decision to dive in like that.

I wouldnt like him at Liverpool.

Rumours of him possibly going out on loan. Liverpool really like signing injury prone players so they would probably go for Woody. Good player but he gets injured crossing the road most of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Read in the Independant that we are liked with a striker called Lucas Lobos. Scored 14 goals in half a season in spain. His team, Cadiz i think it is, were relegated in the end though.
    10 mil rated aparently.

Rafa says Woodgate transfer is nonsence (70,000 a week btw). So expect him to sign over the weekend! What about Le Sulk to Bolton? Will we regret not going after him?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

8 million is a bit much, Sam wont take any shi* though.

Edit: Will he score more goals than Kyut?

Reina

Finnan---Hypia---Agger---Aurelio

Pennant--Gerrard--Alonso--Gonzalez

Bellamy--Crouch

I HOPE he goes with this team, Crouch impressed at the weekend and should have a place in the team. Kuyt to come on after 60 minutes or so.

I have a horrible feeling Rafa might go with

Gerrard--Alonso--Zenden--Gonzalez

or zenden on the left instead of speedy.

hope not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 860 ✭✭✭rondeco

Tusky wrote:
    or zenden on the left instead of speedy.

hope not.

Gonzales has actually been nicknamed 'David' by the squad. Can you figure out why?

• Advertisement

I heard something proberly very silly - Downing to Pool! Makes no sense. Spurs seem to be favourites (where are they getting all the money!?)

from times

"Neil Mellor, the forward, is set to join Preston North End, probably on loan, over the weekend while Liverpool are pondering “four or five” offers for Florent Sinama Pongolle."

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Jesus, I'd totally forgotten David Speedie played for Liverpool. 'twas a dark and distant era.............did Dunphy's Summer lover sign him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,796 ✭✭✭sweetie

Missed this today. Was it a better performance?

Than what? Judging from the highlights, Pool are fast and clever going forwards but a bit thin at the back, not helped by the knocks to Carra and Sissoko. When everyone is back and the new boys are fully intergrated I think the team wil be the most exciting to watch.

Mike.

i think pool look far better going forward than last season, which is only natural considering the signings, its just the team is struggling to compliment the extra attacking element with maintaining last years defencive unity.....if that makes sence

• Advertisement

Yep its hard to keep it tight at the back when the wingers are getting right to the goalline. Rafa said it himself this morning on the radio - "we will have to score more goals". ie we are now an attacking side so will conceed more therefore must score more.

Mike.

plus it doesnt help when ur goalkeeper starts doing impressions of david james

and its not even Christmas party time yet!

Mike.

Kuyt looked very good. I wanna see what impact he has on a game from the start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

el rabitos wrote:
    plus it doesnt help when ur goalkeeper starts doing impressions of david james

Hardly fair, twas a fluke that he wasn't expecting, yeah shoulda kept it out but most of the time those sort of things end up in the back of the net (and importantly, it didn't affect his confidence for the rest of the game).

• Advertisement

Hardly fair, twas a fluke that he wasn't expecting, yeah shoulda kept it out but most of the time those sort of things end up in the back of the net (and importantly, it didn't affect his confidence for the rest of the game).
    It's the second time it's happened to him against the Hammers though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

Was at the game, reina bad mistake for goal.

Alonso hit a lot of stray passes as game went along, then sunk back into his shell rather than demanding the ball as he usually does - needs an arm around from Rafa I think

Kuyt made a brilliant debut.Constantly talking, telling Bellamy where to go.Great positional sense, immediately linked well with Stevie G - I think he will score and create a lot of goals if he keeps this up.

A good game, not a great performance from us, but good to have the 3 points,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Watched the whole match as well, Bellamy is starting to annoy with his constant whinging, Kuyt looked very direct and was up for it, who wouldn'tbe gee'd up for your home debut at Anfield.

Liverpool dominated about 50-60minutes of the game, yet still let WHU have chances. Alonso is looking a little jaded, which is a slight concern, but with Momo and Gerrard in the centre, it's not so bad.

Roll on the Toffee's

alonso hasnt had a man of the match worthy performance for as long as i can remember, its been a long time. i dont think its a lack of confidence, because he's still trying the long passes and the other difficult ones, their just going nowhere.

i dunno, i'd ponder selling him at the end of the season if he doesnt improve and if real came in with some ridiculous offer, like say 20 million :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I didnt see any of the game from Sat (Liverpool 2-1 West Ham) or the highlights but by all accounts, Kuyt certainly did well. I didnt rate him so highly before he signed but I will happily eat 'humble pie' if he keeps this form up for the season.

Not good to read that Bellamy is mouthing off his own teamates (Crouch, Kuyt) as that 'criticism' can lead to a slippery slope where players dont get on and indeed the Manager with the player, which has 'happened' to Bellamy before. Is the honeymoon period with Bellamy over?? Lets hope not.

I totally agree that Alonso has the capability to do better and perhaps needs that support. He needs Sissoko to do some of the unfashionable donkey-work, as does Gerrard and its the age old problem for Liverpool tactically, how to accomodate all 3 in the team. Bellamy up-front in a 4-4-2 is an interesting approach. Crouch and Kuyt provide options, and Fowler should get the odd game too.

So, whats next on the priority list for Liverpool players? Another Sissoko-like player for midfield, another left back, or a CB replacement for Sami H? I think the latter .....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

redspider wrote:
    I didnt see any of the game from Sat (Liverpool 2-1 West Ham) or the highlights but by all accounts, Kuyt certainly did well. ....................................................................................CB replacement for Sami H? I think the latter .....

Redspider

Kuyt did well alright. What i was delighted with actually was seeing his first touch. After Cisse, it was an absolute delight to see the ball stick to his feet as soon as it came to him. His awareness was fantastic as well, set up what would have been 2 goals for Bellemy if he'd managed to stay onside. Neither was kuyts fault as he played them as quickly as humanly possible. was also very unlucky himself with the 1 v 1 when he was wrongly called offside. Seems a good header of the ball to and throws himself into any chance he could. All in all calmed an awful lot of my own fears about him.

As for Sami replacement, Agger put in another solid performance, even aside from his wondergoal. Was composed, clever with the ball at his feet and seems to be getting better game by game. Was man of the match too which will do his confidence the power of good.

redspider wrote:
    ... I will happily eat 'humble pie' ...
    Crouch scored a nice goal too :p

redspider wrote:
    I didnt see any of the game from Sat (Liverpool 2-1 West Ham) or the highlights but by all accounts, Kuyt certainly did well. I didnt rate him so highly before he signed but I will happily eat 'humble pie' if he keeps this form up for the season.

Not good to read that Bellamy is mouthing off his own teamates (Crouch, Kuyt) as that 'criticism' can lead to a slippery slope where players dont get on and indeed the Manager with the player, which has 'happened' to Bellamy before. Is the honeymoon period with Bellamy over?? Lets hope not.

I totally agree that Alonso has the capability to do better and perhaps needs that support. He needs Sissoko to do some of the unfashionable donkey-work, as does Gerrard and its the age old problem for Liverpool tactically, how to accomodate all 3 in the team. Bellamy up-front in a 4-4-2 is an interesting approach. Crouch and Kuyt provide options, and Fowler should get the odd game too.

So, whats next on the priority list for Liverpool players? Another Sissoko-like player for midfield, another left back, or a CB replacement for Sami H? I think the latter .....

Redspider

Read something interesting recently and it makes sence. Rafas overall plan was to play 3-5-2 but with wing backs. Something like this.

Reina

Carragher
    Hypia
    Agger

-Alves
    Alonso
    Aurelio-

Gerrard
    Sissoko

Kuyt
    Bellamy

Certainly something I would love to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

It does not make sense when you consider the players he has bought and the rumours that still persist..

He has 4 centre backs, 2 for each position. He has 1/2 right backs, 2 lefts backs, 2 left wingers, 4 strikers, 4/5 centre midfielders and 1 winger. Considering there is rumours that Lucas Neil or Alves will be signed, it sorta suggests that he wants 2 full time right backs and 2 full time right wingers..

If he was to play that sytem, quite a lot of players would be made redundant and there would be minimal cover in defence, i.e. Paletta only.

Just does not make sense. 4 - 4 - 2 or 4 - 4 -1 - 1 or 4 - 5 - 1 is how the squad are set up to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Shaque attack

el rabitos wrote:
    alonso hasnt had a man of the match worthy performance for as long as i can remember, its been a long time. i dont think its a lack of confidence, because he's still trying the long passes and the other difficult ones, their just going nowhere.

i dunno, i'd ponder selling him at the end of the season if he doesnt improve and if real came in with some ridiculous offer, like say 20 million :p
    was at the game. Neither Gerrard or alonso had a great game, gerrard didnt seem to be too up for it until kuyt came on and made a pretty wreckless challenge in the second half. Alonso just looks a bit rusty to me and will improve with every game. Sell him??? crazy talk, he's one of the best and most intelligent midfielders in the game imo.

kuyt looked very sharp and doesnt seem one bit over-awed by the challenge of moving leagues and playing for liverpool. Just hope it continues. I think him and bellamy could form a very potent partnership with bellamy, who for all his whining came back and won alot of ball when he wouldnt have been expected to do so. I also think crouch and fowler should be used as the alternative partnership when rafa wants to change the style of attack.

One player i was definitely not impressed with was aurelio. nearly all the hammers' chances came from his side and his defending was brutal, he doesnt seem to be able to tackle properly. it was even more obvious when you looked over and saw the job finnan was doing at rb.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement