Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Liverpool dominate possession for the first 20mins, something like 70/30, then Everton scored, there was another period of dominant posession again in the first half. Not that it matters, goals win games, and Everton took their chances well. I think it ended 54/46 % possession in Liverpools favour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tony Casarino in the Times today

http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/056347789x

I kinda agree.

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

mike65 wrote:
    Tony Casarino in the Times today

http://www.bbcshop.com/invt/056347789x

I kinda agree.

Mike.

Are you sure about that link Mike?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

He certainly raises some valid questions there, especially the one where he compares resting Stevie G to Chelsea never resting Lampard and Terry.

I wonder if his information about Bellamy been given the weekend off is accurate. It makes one wonder alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

yeah, i'd agree with what he says to a large extent.

the premiership is the priority and you always start with ur best 11, benitez doesnt

I think he still does'nt quite understand the Prem and what fans really want alright. The CL can go hang for this season as far as I'm concerned in fact part of me hopes for an early exit so there can be no excuses.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I think he still does'nt quite understand the Prem and what fans really want alright. The CL can go hang for this season as far as I'm concerned in fact part of me hopes for an early exit so there can be no excuses.

Mike.

the money from the champions league is the major factor really. you kind of have to put your best foot forward in the competition to get as much revenue as possible. progressing to the knockout stage is the minimum requirement as far as revenue goes.

as far as the premiership goes, liverpool need to be far more ruthless. they should be fielding the strongest team possible in every match, no matter if its watford or man utd.

theres just no excuses this season, theres a fully competant, competative squad and i was expecting last seasons lessons to be learned and the team to hit the ground running this season - which makes the line up against sheffield utd all the more baffling

obviosly the team is trying to move on from last season and find a proper ballance with last seasons great defence with this years new and improved attacking options, but so far it looks like nobody knows what their doing

the only bright spot continues to be sissoko

Maybe a 3-0 tonking of PSV with goals from Kuyt and Bellamy will lift the squad for Chelsea! :)

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    Maybe a 3-0 tonking of PSV with goals from Kuyt and Bellamy will lift the squad for Chelsea! :)

Mike.

it better, because another 4 - 1 like pasting at the hands of chelsea wont go down well in any cirlcle of liverpool fans

but

beating psv, chelsea and then newcastle will get the season on track

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I think he is definitely over-rotating. He needs to start playing Bellamy & Kuyt up front EVERY game. They need to develop a partnership. Occasionally start Crouch or Fowler but not both at the same time. Theres obviously plenty of room for rotation but I think he needs to be consistant in playing Finnan, Carragher, Hypia/Agger, Gerrard, Sissoko, Kuyt & Bellamy.
    Since the start of the season no two strikers have started together more than once!

There is plenty of room to rotate Aurelio, Risse, Alonso, Gonzalez & Pennant.

The ONLY REASON Zenden should ever play is if Gonzalez, Aurelio, Kewell, Gerrard, Alonso & Sissoko are injured.

(Also, why the feck did he play an unfit Carragher over an on form Agger ? It cost us a goal.)

I hope he plays this squad tomorrow.

Reina

Finnan---Hypia ---Agger---Aurelio

Pennant--Gerrard--Sissoko--Gonzalez

Bellamy---Kuyt

I have a horrible feeling Zenden is going to feature and Gerrard will be rested...

the constant rotating is not going to help find the ballance between maintaining last years defence and improving the attack.

i just find it very irritating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Tusky wrote:

Reina

Bellamy---Kuyt

I honestly think that Liverpool should drop Reina...if he is the goalkeeper say he is then he would react the best way for Liverpool if he was to get a few games on the line.

Trilla wrote:
    I honestly think that Liverpool should drop Reina...if he is the goalkeeper say he is then he would react the best way for Liverpool if he was to get a few games on the line.

thats ridiculous. playing him tomorrow night is the best thing for his confidence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

el rabitos wrote:
    thats ridiculous. playing him tomorrow night is the best thing for his confidence

ridiculous.... ah, I cant win! :rolleyes:

I think it would be best for the team, after he has made a good few mistakes and with Dudek there it probably would be a good move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I don't think Reina should be dropped - not sure what needs to be done but we need to get back towards last years form. The main difference between Dudek and Reina for me is Reina allows the defence to play further up the field (when things are working) which means we're a lot more attacking.

The rotation thing is worrying me. We need to decide on at least one striker who plays pretty much all the time, ideally two if we want a partnership. I like Fowler and Crouch heaps, they've both contributed greatly to the club but I'd go with the other two, Kuyt and Bellers. They're both capable of getting a lot of goals but if they're only getting 30 and 60 minutes here and there then they'll struggle and fade away like so many strikers before at anfield recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Tusky wrote:
    I hope he plays this squad tomorrow.

Reina

Bellamy---Kuyt

I have a horrible feeling Zenden is going to feature and Gerrard will be rested...

I don't see Carragher being dropped.
    However there is some talk of him going to 3 at the back, but I can't see him using a CL game to try that again.
    I also don't see him playing both Pennant and Gonzo away from home, so that could mean the return of Zenden :( .
    I'll be very disappointed if he doesnt start with Bellamy and Kuyt up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

I'm hoping this is not going to be the trend..... Blame everything else on the poor form!

The beginning of last year was the same I when he tried playing the 4-5-1 formation but learnt quick enough that it didn't work in the Premiership. Back then he was blaming the early qualification rounds of the Champions League. Hopefully Rafa will have read most of the papers at the weekend and will soon realise that his squad rotation isn't working!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

I think alot of people have short memories, rafa didn't do much chopping and changing last year once he'd got the best mix on the field, I'd assume he'll do likewise this season. The next 2 games will tell us if pool fans have anything to worry about, I'd rather lose to Everton and beat PSV and Chelsea, lets see if thats how it pans out. In fact, I'm going onto Paddy Power now :)

Reina
    Finnan--Hyypia--Agger-Aurelio
    Sissoko
    Pennant----Gerrard---Gonzo
    Garcia
    Kuyt

Bench Dudek, Carra, Alonso, Bellamy, Zenden, Crouch.

May not win the game but proberly won't loose.

• Advertisement

Well he almost picked the team I wanted.
    Carra and Agger at centre back, Pennant on the right.
    Warnock and Aurelio on the left wing -leaving Gonzo on the bench, as it is an away game in Europe.
    Kuyt and Bellamy up front. Momo in centre midfield.
    10/10 so far - but then for some reason I can't fathom, he picks fookin Zenden instead of Gerrard. Cost us two points.
    Then his bladdy substitutions. 2 of them decent and fairly positive, i.e. Alonso for Momo and Gonzo for Aurelio. But then sandwiched in between we have the very poor substitution and very negative substitution of Gerrard coming on for Bellamy instead of for the Muppet. If we had have got a late winner it would have been despite of rather than because of that change.

Without a doubt for me the biggest positive was the performances of Kuyt and Bellamy. Looked like a very good partnership in the making. Although I think we'll see Crouch back at the expense of one of them for Chelsea. Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko in midfield with one of Garcia, Gonzo (who I'd go with) or heavens forbid Zenden on the left. Warnock at left back with Aurelio having a "rest". It will be very interesting to see if he sticks with Agger or brings back Sami.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Stky10

Yeah while Zenden wasn't too bad in the first half, it was like he wasn't even there for the whole of the second half. Taking Momo off must have been to save him for the weekend. And I know Aurelio was there to protect Warnock to some extent, but he was awful. His corners always hit the first man (this from the supposed dead ball expert), and in general play he was mostly muck. I spent the night shouting at the tv to bring Speedy on for gods sake so he could take the mick out of kromkamp.

Overall, it looked pretty negative and that the only intention was to keep a clean sheet. Possibly due to events at the weekend I suppose. PSV were very limited though so only getting the draw might come back to haunt us later on (ie only getting second place in the group). And while we were playing away from home with a mostly second choice midfield a lot of our play was disjointed. I watched Arsenal at the weekend, and they played like Brazil when they were in possession. Carra especially looked like he paniced anytime he was in possession and just hoofed it long. Some of the players like Pennant and Bellamy that have been rotated too much looked very tired towards the end. They need more games to get sharp.

I didn't see what Giles/Dunphy etc had to say. They have a rant as usual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Well he almost picked the team I wanted.
    Carra and Agger at centre back, Pennant on the right.
    Warnock and Aurelio on the left wing -leaving Gonzo on the bench, as it is an away game in Europe.
    Kuyt and Bellamy up front. Momo in centre midfield.
    10/10 so far - but then for some reason I can't fathom, he picks fookin Zenden instead of Gerrard. Cost us two points.
    Then his bladdy substitutions. 2 of them decent and fairly positive, i.e. Alonso for Momo and Gonzo for Aurelio. But then sandwiched in between we have the very poor substitution and very negative substitution of Gerrard coming on for Bellamy instead of for the Muppet. If we had have got a late winner it would have been despite of rather than because of that change.

Without a doubt for me the biggest positive was the performances of Kuyt and Bellamy. Looked like a very good partnership in the making. Although I think we'll see Crouch back at the expense of one of them for Chelsea. Gerrard, Alonso and Sissoko in midfield with one of Garcia, Gonzo (who I'd go with) or heavens forbid Zenden on the left. Warnock at left back with Aurelio having a "rest". It will be very interesting to see if he sticks with Agger or brings back Sami.

I think the team needed a good kicking since the weekend but i don't understand why gerrard or alonso didnt play.. at least have one of them.

Thought pennant,agger and the partnership of kyut/bellamy was excellent.

I hope he doesnt go changing the team too much for the match against chelsea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

Stky10 wrote:
    I didn't see what Giles/Dunphy etc had to say. They have a rant as usual?

they werent too bad.. said pretty much everything that was already said here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Garcia will almost definitely start at the weekend - and i reckon upfront behing Crouch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

I thought Pennant was poor , I counted at least 5 occasions where he tried to run head down past players and lost the ball when an easy pass was the better option ... Was happy enough with kuyt and bellamy and agger too ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

I was delighted with that - not a sparkling performance, but the first clean sheet in a while and turned round things from the weekend. On paper that was the toughest of our 6 CL matchs...

Momo was taken off because he kept giving the ball to PSV players!
    (I'm not sure Momo is working as hard as he might be either. Plenty of jogging not much running. No breaking his ballix like he was always doing in the second half of last year. For instance he should have been tracking Cahill for the first Everton goal at the weekend, instead of standing outside the box with his hands in his pockets. I believe Gilesy singled him out for criticisim on the highlights program on Saturday, but I didnt see it. But this is all in brackets beause I'm just thinking about it rather than saying it as I havent got near enuff proof and might be a mile off.)

I have seen no signs of Gerrard needing a rest.
    Alonso on the other hand I would not even have brought to Holland, as he has looked like a man in dire need of a break. However, he did well last night.

Garcia (among others of course) was appaling against Everton - if he's used as a front man v Chelsea I will despair.

The absolute worst thing Rafa could do is play Crouch & Garcia up front against Chelsea in my opinion. It has GOT to be Bellamy & Kuyt...although the chances of that are very very slim. I would play...

Reina

Finnan---Carragher---Agger---Warnock

Gerrard---Alonso---Sissoko---Gonzalez/Garcia

Bellamy--Kuyt

99% sure he wont start them together, but why not ? Bellamy didnt feature at the weekend and didnt play a full game last night. Kuyt only played 30 minutes at weekend.

The team I PREDICT he will play...

Reina

Finnan---Carragher---Hypia---Warnock

Gerrard---Alonso---Sissoko---Garcia

Crouch--Bellamy

He MAY play Garcia up front with Crouch and have Aurelio on the left though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

I thought Sissoko did quite well last night. The few times I saw him give the ball away, he won it back moments later.

What annoyed me most was that we now have wide players playing most games, yet the ball was constantly being pumped upfield by the defenders. What's the point in buying Pennant/Gonzo/Aurelio if they're not gonna be used to their ability?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I think it's time to say goodbye to Hyppia. Agger so far this season has been immense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

my team for chelski:

reina
    finnan-agger-carra-aurielo
    gerrard-alonso-sissoko-gonzalez
    ----garcia
    crouch

not what i would like to see but i reckon this is the way rafa will go.

Width has be used as I bet Chelsea end up with 4 CM!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

p.pete wrote:
    I was delighted with that - not a sparkling performance, but the first clean sheet in a while and turned round things from the weekend.

I totally agree. I was convinced he didnt want to play and was expecting some
    ****e to be in the papers the next day of how he doesnt want to play for
    Liverpool anymore. He reminded me of a david beckham or a Cisse. Just stood
    about , no tracking back, no working for other players off the ball and only done
    something when he had the ball at his feet when he couldnt fire the ball up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

I totally agree. I was convinced he didnt want to play and was expecting some
    ****e to be in the papers the next day of how he doesnt want to play for
    Liverpool anymore. He reminded me of a david beckham or a Cisse. Just stood
    about , no tracking back, no working for other players off the ball and only done
    something when he had the ball at his feet when he couldnt fire the ball up the pitch.

who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Call_me_al wrote:
    who?
    I think he means Sissoko he just quoted wrong person.
    Hoping for
    ....................Reina

Finnan Carra Hyypia Warnock

Pennant Gerrard Alonso Gonzalez

..............Crouch Bellamy
    Or if he has to play Sissoko drop Pennant and shove Gerrard out there. Did Pennant look really tired against PSV like he didn't want to run any more. I know he was tired but he looked really unfit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

PSV 0-0 Liverpool

Whilst not an enthralling match, it was a result that suited Liverpool and to some extent suited PSV. Both teams fancy themselves as coming out of this group. Both teams had chances, Liverpool probably shaded it with theirs and Gerrard nearly took the win with a post-hitting effort in the 89th minute with Gomes beaten. A draw was a fair result.

The unusual aspect to this game from a Liverpool perspective was the player selection. It was unusual to the extent that the Uefa/CL officials couldn’t figure it out (ie: what was given to the TV stations such as RTE was woeful). It was a 4-4-2:
    -----------------Reina -------------
    Finnan – Carragher – Agger – Warnock
    Pennant – Sissoko – Zenden – Aurelio
    -------- Kuyt ----- Bellamy --------

Whilst the structure of 4-4-2 was good for containment and with some fast players up-front also for possessing an attacking threat on the break, the player selection was unusual for the omissions, as arguably Liverpool’s best player Gerrard was left on the bench as was Alonso, another creative player.

However, Benitez has to be commended for putting players into positions and roles that suited their characteristics, and this point at least bodes well. His alterior motive was to think of the match on the weekend against Chelsea, but resting BOTH Gerrard and Alonso would not be a normal decision even for that.

The fraility of the weekend with Hyypia was shored up with Agger. His pace was needed for the likes of PSV’s Kone and Farfan. PSV lined up in a 4-3-3, with Kromkamp at right-back and a much happier player it has to be said. What with Morientes getting 3 goals on the night elsewhere in Valencia’s win, and Kromkamp playing a good game at right-back for PSV, there is a case that perhaps Liverpool’s system or perhaps the english league is not getting the best out of some players.

PSV though were very narrow and tried to play everything through the middle. They only got a few chances as a result and the remainder of their game was left to long range shots.

For Liverpool, Carragher was directing all operations from the back. Finnan did his job well and got in some telling tackles when needed. Agger was solid and didn’t get caught out. Warnock also did ok but tired a lot in the match late on. He didn’t provide much going forward. Reina nearly made a couple of mistakes and needs to be more careful positionally and read the ball better and make calls better. This will cost us in other games.

In midfield, Pennant had a good performance and did quite well. His trickery is quite good, and he works quite hard. Not a perfect player, perhaps lacking in top-speed pace (ala Bellamy) but good nonetheless. Sissoko, well, as usual, very physical, all legs and does what he does best, breaking up the play, making tackles and getting possession back for Liverpool. However, he has very little going forward. His 'African' style, is hard to gel with the rest of the team, but as Liverpool’s ball-winner, he performs an important function.

Interesting to see Zenden playing in central midfield, but as he was constantly coming into the central area of the pitch when selected wide midfield anyway, this role actually suited him in my opinion. He is not the best that Liverpool could play there however, and Gerrard and Alonso would both come before him in the pecking order. But he did ok.

Aurelio is a strange player at times. He doesn’t have great positional sense and wastes a lot of energy on the pitch. This catches up with him later in games. However, he has proven to be weak at times in defence and Warnock is a safer choice for left back. Aurelio is still learning but left midfield I think suits him better than left back.

Kuyt had a good game. He tried hard, he knew he was on Dutch soil and he didn’t let the whistling or booing effect him. He linked up quite well with Bellamy and if these two players had better support in terms of width, say with a better left midfielder and from midfield, say with Gerrard and Alonso as the centre pairing, then I think Liverpool could have taken this PSV team. But whether such a formation without Sissoko could have kept PSV out is another story. And Rafa went for the safer option.

Bellamy used his pace effectively, he made good runs, he got into some good positions and on another night he may have got a goal. On one occasion he made some space but his shot was weak on his left foot. He was the player though which the PSV crowd respected the most at the end of the night, although they also remembered Gerrard.

Benitez did bring Alonso on with 30-mins to go for Sissoko. However, Alonso whilst better going forward was not at the same level of defending, so PSV gained in strength. It would have been better to bring Zenden off and re-establish Liverpool’s usual midfield pairing. Perhaps Benitez kept Zenden on to allow him to play a full game in Holland and garner some extra loyalty from the player, maybe.

Then, Rafa did bring Gerrard on, but he took off Bellamy. That was strange as Bellamy was one of Liverpool’s better players on the night and it would have been good to see both a fresh Gerrard and a Bellamy attempt to cnjure up something with Kuyt and Pennant Finally Gonzalez came on but his defensive qualities were worse than Aurelio and he didn’t get up to the pace of the game when going forward so it didn’t mean much. Gerrard nearly scored with that shot on the turn, but it didn’t go in and PSV escaped with a draw.

As mentioned, not an enthralling match, but a safe match, the result that was needed especially after the 3-0 defeat to Everton the weekend before. Liverpool need to build momentum further, and it will be interesting to see who is played this weekend v Chelsea. As its away, a draw would suit Liverpool so will we see more of the same. No-one can guess Rafa's formation, but surely Gerrard and Alonso, rested players will feature and probably Crouch. Time will tell.

Overall, a good safe start for Liverpool in the CL.

Redspider

ps: Guys, I put this in here as this thread seems also to be the place where people are discussing matches, etc, such as the PSV one. However, I think we should start a thread for each seperate Liverpool match and then discuss the trends and inter-match stuff in here. By the way, mods, feel free to delete the 1st 200 pages of this thread as I dont think anyone is going to read that far back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

Momo was taken off because he kept giving the ball to PSV players!
    (I'm not sure Momo is working as hard as he might be either. Plenty of jogging not much running. No breaking his ballix like he was always doing in the second half of last year. For instance he should have been tracking Cahill for the first Everton goal at the weekend, instead of standing outside the box with his hands in his pockets. I believe Gilesy singled him out for criticisim on the highlights program on Saturday, but I didnt see it. But this is all in brackets beause I'm just thinking about it rather than saying it as I havent got near enuff proof and might be a mile off.)

I thought Sissoko is working his bollix off. He covered across the back four and had the pace to match the likes of Farfan and Kone and Mendez when they were on the ball in the PSV game. However, he has little passing and going forward capability, dont expect him to get on the end of a cross ala Ballack or Gerrard.

I thought Gilesy highlighted Sissoko a bit unfairly for one of the goals against Everton. Johnny likes to simplify things and whilst his observation had some merit, as in Sissoko didnt track back, it wasnt the correct conclusion as it wasnt his job. It was an over-simplification and didnt anaylse the whole back 6 unit (4 defenders and 2 central midfielders). Hyypia was more at fault for coming to get the ball a bit further up, not getting it away and then being caught on the wrong side of the ball. Aurelio also didnt do a good defensive job, and Alonso was also on the wrong side. In fact Everton had both Cahill and either Johnson/Carsley free in the box, but in most leagues Finnan's bundling over would have been given as a foul. Sissoko just cant be everywhere but to me he looks as if he is playing as well as he can. Just dont expect any Maradona skills from him, think more like Cameroon in 1990 world cup.

Redspider

i dont know how anyone can write off any of sissoko's performances, he hasnt had a bad game since as long as i can remember, by "bad" i mean, just being on the pitch and going half a$$. sure he makes mistakes at times, he's still only like 22, but i bet nobody does more work or covers more ground or works harder than he does, he's the key player in turning every oppositions attack into a counter attack for pool.

he's just not the best passer or shooter, but that can come with time and experience. he'd be a very difficult player to replace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sissoko had a **** game on tuesday.

He made his usual passing errors and control errors, but he was also to be seen sauntering about in a casual manner, when he should've been snapping at heels.

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    Sissoko had a **** game on tuesday.

He made his usual passing errors and control errors, but he was also to be seen sauntering about in a casual manner, when he should've been snapping at heels.
    Thats exactly what I thought.

Could be the onset of second season syndrome where a player thinks he's "made it" and forgets all the hard work they put in to be that good. But I'm sure Rafa will sort him out and he'll be back to his best shortly.

Unlike spider, I thought Kromkamp was mediocre on Tuesday. He's certainly no loss to the first team - whether he's a loss to the squad or not wll depend on what Rafa does when Finnan gets injured or rested. I think he'd probably play Carra there, but he could go with one of the left backs, or with Paletta or with a youngster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I always thought Kromkamp had good ability going forward, but is defintely suspect defensively. Then again, he didn't exactly get a run in the team, so who knows, that part of his game may settle down at PSV.

Thats exactly what I thought.

Could be the onset of second season syndrome where a player thinks he's "made it" and forgets all the hard work they put in to be that good. But I'm sure Rafa will sort him out and he'll be back to his best shortly.

Unlike spider, I thought Kromkamp was mediocre on Tuesday. He's certainly no loss to the first team - whether he's a loss to the squad or not wll depend on what Rafa does when Finnan gets injured or rested. I think he'd probably play Carra there, but he could go with one of the left backs, or with Paletta or with a youngster.

I think Sissoko is a fantastic player but theres a couple of reasons why he wasnt at his very best on Tuesday. First of all, he was covering for Zenden far too often. Zenden doesnt get himself around the pitch enough and it often looked like Sissoko was running himself ragged to cover this. Also, Sissoko doesnt play as well when he doesnt have Gerrard or Alonso next to him to give the ball to.

I think he is alsmost as important to Liverpool as Gerrard though and is developing into a fantastic talent. Rafas best signing....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Tusky wrote:
    I think he is alsmost as important to Liverpool as Gerrard though and is developing into a fantastic talent. Rafas best signing....

I would have to agree with you there Tusky, Sissoko has been outstanding so far this season. Tuesday night he had so much covering to do he was knackered in the 2nd half.

He's only going to get better! :D:D

My ideal sunday team

Reina
    Finnan--Carra-Agger--Warnock (only for physical presence)
    Sissoko
    Pennant---Gerrard---Gonzo
    Kuyt--Crouch

with Garcia to come off the bench for Pennant and score the winner in the 75th.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Even though Alonso has been poor i dont think you can drop him for this match. Sissoko isnt ready for the holding role yet. Pretty to see Alonso in, with gerrard on the right allowing sissoko to get forward.

Holding role? I was thinking brute force! :D

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Well, Momo got MoM, didn't he, playing the holding role in the Charity Shield. Still, Chelsea obviously helped us out then by playing no wingers with a 4-2-2-2. More of the same please Jose :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

mike65 wrote:
    My ideal sunday team

Reina
    Finnan--Carra-Agger--Warnock (only for physical presence)
    Sissoko
    Pennant---Gerrard---Gonzo
    Kuyt--Crouch
    Jaysus that'd take the sunday league by storm! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Bellamy did well against Chelsea last season and more recently in the Community Shield I'll be disappointed if he's not starting on Sunday.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement