Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool Signings and General Rumours Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do we need a Liverpool Supporters board? Spurs have one now and its got me wondering. Or is that the start of a slippery slope towards the Balkanisation of the soccer forum?

Mike.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,049 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well if liverpool get one, I guess Man U should have one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

mike65 wrote:
    Do we need a Liverpool Supporters board? Spurs have one now and its got me wondering. Or is that the start of a slippery slope towards the Balkanisation of the soccer forum?

Mike.

dont see the point of it, this thread and the match threads are plenty i reckon. the spurs supporters board is stupid. IMO of course :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I think this was the first of the rumors/discussion threads. Now there's one for every team.
    If another club forum goes ahead, we could go down the same route.

This was the second rumours/discussion thread, I started it a few weeks after a Chelsea one which quietly died after a few months.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Well almost :D
    If there could ever have been another team, it would be Liverpool. I say them because I would have loved to play with Steven Gerrard and then also I love their fans.

There is something special about Anfield which is amazing and, when I see The Kop with their scarves in the air, singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone', that is awesome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

would it be worth it to try and split these long running threads up, and get topics for pieces of news, I was just thinking the other day that it might as well be a manu/pool/arsenal board with the three long running threads, but it does steer the forum towards sub forums for different teams, which becomes a veeery slippery slope. (does a charlton supporter get their own forum?). Half the problem of course becomes the pool supporters wanting the biggest thread (or bigger than the Manu thread), while other supporters want their thread to catch up.

At most a seperate EL board, and then have the other board cover PL/SPL/Euro etc, maybe an internationals board, and that be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

These threads were originally started during the Summer months when all the transfer news was going on and there was little football actually played (and hence no incident arising as a result). Perhaps we could even do away with these "general" threads during the season as there is plenty of goings on to keep people talking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Personally I think its great that all things Liverpool are discussed on this thread. Everyone knows exactly where to go and you dont miss anything.

And the same goes for the manc thread. I hate it when there might be 4 different threads on the front page all relating to the mancs, cluttering up the board - now its all in one thread.

I've no interest in mine is bigger than yours type bull. If there is a system problem with having threads which are too big, then I wouldnt care if the first 50 pages (or whatever) are culled from time to time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

astrofool wrote:
    would it be worth it to try and split these long running threads up, and get topics for pieces of news, I was just thinking the other day that it might as well be a manu/pool/arsenal board with the three long running threads, but it does steer the forum towards sub forums for different teams, which becomes a veeery slippery slope. (does a charlton supporter get their own forum?). Half the problem of course becomes the pool supporters wanting the biggest thread (or bigger than the Manu thread), while other supporters want their thread to catch up.

At most a seperate EL board, and then have the other board cover PL/SPL/Euro etc, maybe an internationals board, and that be it.

no ? it wouldnt. This thread is fine as it is, sure it only gets a handful of posts every day anyway.

• Advertisement

there was more problems before this thread with fans of other teams moaning about so many liverpool threads, it would just end up like that again if this thread was done away with. i'd rather keep the thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

I dont think it was wise to create a separate Spurs forum. It doesnt make sense just to create one club forum, and its in a strange place too it has to be said, its not under soccer! Are the Soccer mods and Admins in general happy with that? Or is it similar to Germany recognising Slovenia as a state and then the balkanisation happens, as Mike alluded to.

I'd prefer to keep all soccer in one forum, I have opinions on Spurs as well (eg: they are missing Carrick this year). The Mods/Admins will be able to advise if they think the traffic/no. of postings, etc, warrants sub-division. That could be along the lines of LOI, English league, Spanish League, Italian league, Internationals, etc, perhaps if necessitated.

Personally I think its great that all things Liverpool are discussed on this thread.

I'm ok for a catch-all thread as long as the matches are kept out of it.

I think if the forum had fewer stickies (such as preceedings!) and the fantasy stuff, then the 1st page could hold more.

redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,922 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

el rabitos wrote:
    there was more problems before this thread with fans of other teams moaning about so many liverpool threads, it would just end up like that again if this thread was done away with. i'd rather keep the thread

People complain about too many threads, not enough threads, threads that they don't connect with on a meaningful level etc. If somebody is coming onto an internet forum and complaining about too many threads, they're an idiot (provided duplicates get merged).

I don't think one massive thread is the answer to anything, as too much gets lost in it over time, at most a transfers thread during summer, but keeping it alive beyond that defeats the purpose of having different threads in the first place, all it's doing right now is creating a sub liverpool/manu/newc/arse forum on top of the main forum.

If the thread is intended to be for all pool related stuff then it should be stickied along with the manu/newc/arse threads, but the one sure way to kill the thread however would be to sticky it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

> Half the problem of course becomes the pool supporters wanting the biggest thread (or bigger than the Manu thread), while other supporters want their thread to catch up.

Posting quantity is no sign of quality. Nor is thread quantity. I can understand the positions of some fans that are sick to the back teeth of seeing threads about Liverpool, ManU, etc (the big 4), so the catch-all threads have value for all perhaps.

If I was an admin, I would prune old postings. I mean who is going to read the 1st 1000 posts of this thread, or the 2nd thousand, or any of 1-4,000 for that matter. Yes, I know that will mean losing some of my witicisms 'forever' but its something I am willing to do :-)

redspider

ps: back on topic, Morientes doing better in Valencia, and he's putting it down to the physicality of the game in England. His point has partial validity.

My 298th post on this thread! :)
    Morientes doing better in Valencia, and he's putting it down to the physicality of the game in England. His point has partial validity.

I saw that comment, which typically was headlined as "Morientes Critical of Prem!" where I read it. He just was'nt cut out for it.

As for Henry to Anfield - You're 'aving a laugh. ;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

Gotta love how general proposals for the soccer forum are being discussed here :)

hopefully the deal taking morientes to valencia involved to performance based cash payments to liverpool :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

Great game on saturday, but I have to say the atmosphere at Anfield was very subdued, I couldnt believe my ears the crowd we're so quiet. I was at the upper anfield rd end and people were just watching the game, me and a liverpudlian who was a couple of rows down were singing a couple of tunes but no one was joining in, The spurs supporters were excellent.

I read in the KOP that this is becoming the norm at games, I really dont hope so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Great game on saturday, but I have to say the atmosphere at Anfield was very subdued, I couldnt believe my ears the crowd we're so quiet. I was at the upper anfield rd end and people were just watching the game, me and a liverpudlian who was a couple of rows down were singing a couple of tunes but no one was joining in, The spurs supporters were excellent.

I read in the KOP that this is becoming the norm at games, I really dont hope so.

Might it have anything to do with the time? From my own experience, you do tend to get a different atmosphere at an early kick-off than an evening kick-off. It can be hard to get into the swing of things at 12.00 in the morning (plus the fans wont have hours of precious drinking time).
    Id imagine it wont be quiet at all for tomorrow nights game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Subdued early morning kick-offs, and we've another one against Bolton on Sat.

It will be a very different atmosphere tomorrow night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

It also has to do with being in the anni road end, is one of the quieter areas of the ground along with the upper centenary. It is absolutley not the case in the Kop though, could hardly hear myself thinking. As for the Spurs fans bing good, well you were pretty close to them and you will find that travelling support at anfield is usually quite good, regardless of how good/bad they are doing, is fun and often there is a bit of banter between them. I remember portsmouth fans singing "You don't know what you're doing" to Reggie Perring when he made some dodgy decisions re subs and "Always look on the bright side of life" at the same game last season, which got them a round of applause from the LPool fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It also has to do with being in the anni road end, is one of the quieter areas of the ground along with the upper centenary. It is absolutley not the case in the Kop though, could hardly hear myself thinking. As for the Spurs fans bing good, well you were pretty close to them and you will find that travelling support at anfield is usually quite good, regardless of how good/bad they are doing, is fun and often there is a bit of banter between them. I remember portsmouth fans singing "You don't know what you're doing" to Reggie Perring when he made some dodgy decisions re subs and "Always look on the bright side of life" at the same game last season, which got them a round of applause from the LPool fans.

Yeah I was in section MX just to the right of the spurs fans. There was a good bit of back and forth going on. They dont half go on, and on, and on ,and on about Sol campbell and/or Arsenal.

They got their chants right back at them tho. "shall we sing a song for you" was chucked right back as "shall we win a cup for you" and "shall we score a goal for you"(when it went 3-0) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭ullu

I'm just curious about how Paletta's been getting on, I haven't heard mention of him since the preseason friendlies.

last report was he's still learning english, cant see him being involved until he has some grasp of how to communicate on the pitch

looks like the board have told European Objective One board that the funding for the stadium is in place, which means they will be putting €9 million towards the cost of the stadium...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Re: dropping Reina
    thats ridiculous. playing him tomorrow night is the best thing for his confidence

Slightly changing topic, but I still really believe that Reina should be dropped...what do you all think?

Trilla wrote:
    Re: dropping Reina

Slightly changing topic, but I still really believe that Reina should be dropped...what do you all think?

no. a few shaky games dont make a bad keeper. none of last nights goals were directly reina's fault

el rabitos wrote:
    no. a few shaky games dont make a bad keeper. none of last nights goals were directly reina's fault

true, but alot of dodgy calls were made by him, and his punching and clearing was not the best. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if he was dropped. Rte were a little harsh on him I suppose, but IMO he is a liability

Trilla wrote:
    true, but alot of dodgy calls were made by him, and his punching and clearing was not the best. I honestly wouldnt be surprised if he was dropped. Rte were a little harsh on him I suppose, but IMO he is a liability

he's just lacking a bit of confidence at the moment, which could be seen with the lack of communication a couple of times last night, but at the same time the problem with the team right now is that they're trying to find a ballance between maintaining last seasons defencive tightness and adding a better attack

right now the attack just seems to be leaving the defence too vulnerable and its creating a bit of chaos for the defence and none of them, appart from agger seems to be playing with any great composure.

reina wont get his confidence back sitting on the bench, and dudek is no solution to a confidence crisis

when u start dropping keepers you create all kinds of trouble imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

Liverpool's plans to build a new 60,000-capacity all-seater stadium have moved a step closer after the club secured crucial European funding.

The European Union Objective One grant of £9m will be spent on regenerating the area around the Stanley Park site.

Liverpool were given the money after guaranteeing that the £180m funding for the entire project is in place.

They can now claim £5m from Liverpool City Council and £8.9m from the Northwest Regional Development Agency.

The city council approved a 999-year lease on the stadium site - which is 300 yards away from Anfield - on 8 September.

Planning permission for the scheme came with the proviso that investment would be made in the surrounding area, including the park.

The European money will not be spent on the new stadium but on schemes such as the creation of a shop-lined plaza on the site of their current Anfield home.

Liverpool chief executive Rick Parry said: "It's another significant step forward in our plans for the building of a new stadium, which we have always seen as a catalyst for the regeneration of the whole area."

Councillor Flo Clucas, chairman of the Objective One project selection sub-committee, added: "This is a major step forward for the people of Anfield.

"It will underpin substantial investment by other partners, whose commitment will help transform the neighbourhood."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/5389014.stm

a step closer anyway! where is the funding coming from? will we be releasing those 50,000 shares? does this mean Morgan will get a bigger say in the club?

• Advertisement

i wonder how the club has guaranteed that the money is in place, all indications and assumptions were that the club were nowhere near having that kind of money.

maybe theres been an investment?

el rabitos wrote:
    appart from agger seems to be playing with any great composure.

agger looks the part. do you agree with this little criticism that Auerilio is getting? I think he's a very good player and is been treated unfair.
    el rabitos wrote:
    reina wont get his confidence back sitting on the bench, and dudek is no solution to a confidence crisis

when u start dropping keepers you create all kinds of trouble imo

maybe its a question of a "wake up call" rather than confidence. But I know what your saying - it can work both ways. I disagree about Dudek - I think he's good enough, or as good to come in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Trilla wrote:
    agger looks the part. do you agree with this little criticism that Auerilio is getting? I think he's a very good player and is been treated unfair.

i think he's very susceptible defensively. he offers a lot going forward, but i don't think he's as positionally aware going back.

Trilla wrote:

i'd agree with RE*AC*TOR, he offers alot going forward, some great crosses and a very good free kick from what i've seen so far, good passer of the ball aswell, but definitely a fair bit weak defencively

i think he's better with riise playing behind him in the left back role

agger has had a couple of dodgy moments, but on the whole i think he plays with alot of composure and looks confident. carragher doesnt seem too comfortable of late though, which is more of a concern

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    i think he's very susceptible defensively. he offers a lot going forward, but i don't think he's as positionally aware going back.

ah, i dunno. He should be given a chance. Unlike Reina, who IMO has ran out of chances or very close to have

carragher doesnt seem too comfortable of late though, which is more of a concern

I think he's thinking about Reina, the lack of confidence speads to those around him.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    I think he's thinking about Reina, the lack of confidence speads to those around him.

that is a good point...when your not confident of whats behind you, at the top level its bound to effect your game. Jamie had a great last two seasons, may be its just a blip

Bolton game tomorrow, another early KO.

Two ex Reds looking to make a point. Expect a more heavyweight midfield I think!

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

el rabitos wrote:
    carragher doesnt seem too comfortable of late though, which is more of a concern
    Or maybe Carragher is just finding it odd having a new partner in defense and is getting used to it. Even the slightest doubt about who you're playing with can have a big effect. And Reina dropping balls or missing them completely behind him won't help either.

well whatever the reason, i'm hoping it gets sorted sooner than later. agger had to start pushing hyypia out to a certain extent this season one way or another. given that he's performed well so far, now is as good a time as any to start forming a partnership and develop an understanding with carra

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 391 ✭✭Sunn

awfull stuff again today. Thought they were unlucky with the first goal but i still think reina should have done better. Also i dont see why crouch didnt play from the start.. and gerrard went missing for alot of the match.

we had some half chances but nothing major.. dont see us winning the title on this form.

next 3 matches are blackburn (H) bordeaux(A) and man utd (A) after the international break.

not the easiest but certainly not the hardest matches considering the opposing teams form.

Raffa needs to pull the finger out and start feilding his number 1 team.

Poor stuff, I think Rafa needs an English number two at times just to remind him what teams like Bolton can do. His other problem is he maybe thinks too much.

Mike.

el rabitos wrote:
    i wonder how the club has guaranteed that the money is in place, all indications and assumptions were that the club were nowhere near having that kind of money.

maybe theres been an investment?

Maybe they just told loads of big fat lies? :) I can just see Parry going into the meeting holding a bank statement with an extra two zero's scribbled on the end with a pen.

Hopefully not tho.

Also have to say I'm not a fan of Aurellio as a defender, I dont think he offer anything more defensively than any other left winger would and is making the defense shaky. I used to look at the others very closely when Traore played and they seemed to be trying to think ahead to cover him. They never seemed at ease. It's going the same way now. It pains me to say but sami is getting to slow and agger needs to be his permenant replacement now. It might take a few iffey moments but in the long run it'll pay off. Finnan, Carra, Agger and Riise (warnock if you need somone kicking into the stands and Riise isnt fit) should be the permenant back four with no poxy rotation. I think Reina will have more dodgy moments and would like to see Carson back after his loan getting a run.

i can only assume parry's been telling porkys to all these people looking for guarantee's that the money is in place on the clubs side, theres been nothing to suggest the club has 180 million stashed away somewhere :eek:

i'm still raging after watching that today. it was hard even pin pointing what went wrong other than a complete lack of effort about the team after the first goal

i can understand feeling crap after being ripped off like that but they get payed enough to get their act together.

to top it all off rafa was going on about how they know 60% of boltons goals come from set pieces, and then they defend that free kick like a team in the phoenix park

just as a side note, i fcukin hate bolton and everything about them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

el rabitos wrote:
    they defend that free kick like a team in the phoenix park

Oh no you didn't!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

el rabitos wrote:
    i can only assume parry's been telling porkys to all these people looking for guarantee's that the money is in place on the clubs side, theres been nothing to suggest the club has 180 million stashed away somewhere :eek:

Why would he have to tell porkys ? All they had to do was show they had /a/ means of funding the stadium - e.g. get written guarantees of loans to meet the stadium costs. That probably was not overly difficult to do these days given the way banks are throwing money at people. However, when the time comes to build it, there is (should be anyway) nothing forcing the club to use that means to fund the stadium should a more appropriate means come along (e.g. the knight in shinning that Parry/Moores seem to be holding out for).

And as we all know a guarantee of a loan should not be confused with actually drawing down on that loan. Also there are other options available to the club to raise at least part of the funds without borrowing money - e.g. the whole naming rights to the stadium, etc..

Such a move would buy them more time and god knows they seem to need plenty of that to find their own Sir Galahad...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Yesterday was depressing, losing to Bolton away.....ah its possibly not that bad a result, everyone will have trouble there. Alonso needs to find his form from last season soon, hes playing alarmingly poor.

Yesterday was depressing, losing to Bolton away.....ah its possibly not that bad a result, everyone will have trouble there. Alonso needs to find his form from last season soon, hes playing alarmingly poor.

In fairness I think he's comign back to form. If the volley in the first half had hit the inside of the post and went in, it would have put a different slant on his form. I think he might be starting to listen to people tellign him to shoot everytome he gets the ball, while he's hitting them very well, he doesnt have to do it every time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,102 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I find gerrard is doing that a bit too much too, taking on a difficult shot when people are in better positions. Its not like it used to be anymore where if he didnt do it noone would, theres plenty of quality there who can pull something out in the right position. I guess he's possibly just trying to get that first goal of the season perhaps, but he really needs to stop going it alone and maybe look for a pass inside more often.

Also agree with Mike's statement that maybe Rafa thinks bit too much. He often puts out a team with every aspect thought out to counteract and take advantage of the oppositions stretgths and weakness's, but in actual fact at this point many of them have still only played a few times together so maybe a solid more regular team played more often would possibly do better then these taylor made teams for each different opponant. I think in the long run his idea is good, but its probably better to have everyone working in training now to get them knowing each other untill the point where they can fit seemlessly into the team unit on match days.

• Advertisement

I'm just hoping he doesnt get stubborn about all the media attention and stick to his roatation for reasons other than football. I dont want to see him making decisions just to spite the press. Although I'd like to think he's above all that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement