Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculator

Options
  • 04-06-2007 11:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭

Um.. can I use this calculator?

Sharp EL-506W

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

No.

This calculator can solve equations, manipulate matrices and do numerical differentiation and integration. Any ONE of these features causes it to be disallowed. (See paragraph (f) in the circular below.)

The calculator regulation is contained in this circular at the SEC website:
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S9305UseofCalculatorsintheCertificateExaminationsev.pdf

Find another one. (The Casio fx83ES is a humdinger! it'll manipulate surds and logs for you, [e.g. will tell you that root(2) + root(8) is 3root(2)] and draw up a table for a function, and it is allowed.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

i doubt it

mite get away with it tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Bollox.....

Damn you Easons!!

It doesn't say that in the rule book, only says "no graphics calculators allowed"

EDIT: thanks for the help!

Did they tell you in Easons that it was allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Memorise the Model number of another calculator, I doubt there'll be any checks done

• Advertisement

I see that honesty and integrity are alive and well in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

No.

This calculator can solve equations, manipulate matrices and do numerical differentiation and integration. Any ONE of these features causes it to be disallowed. (See paragraph (f) in the circular below.)

The calculator regulation is contained in this circular at the SEC website:
    http://www.examinations.ie/schools/S9305UseofCalculatorsintheCertificateExaminationsev.pdf

Find another one. (The Casio fx83ES is a humdinger! it'll manipulate surds and logs for you, [e.g. will tell you that root(2) + root(8) is 3root(2)] and draw up a table for a function, and it is allowed.)

I have this, any tricks i should be aware of? Just purchased it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭conor2007

ye , id well be aware of being able to program it to do stuff

if they ask , they probally wont be able to figure how to use it

so ull most likely be fine , reset shud work if an examiner comes over tho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,347 ✭✭✭legs11

just remember how to use the equations and matrice functions on it, read the manual up.........:rolleyes:

Most likely calculators won't get checked but I might as well change it. I don't even know how to use those functions since I had the previous model before. Yeah easons said it's non-programmable so it's allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Speaking of calculators, can you bring in two of the same model calculator in case you think one could possibly die?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

I thought calculators that can convert square roots into surds aren't allowed either. That calculator can solve equations, can do some differentiation and Integration, substitution in Algebra, basically a lot of things the rest of us have to do in our heads in the exam! That calcuator would definately not be allowed in the exam. Sure if they alowed that calculator everyone would be doing honours maths!
    I wonder that too. Are you allowed to bring in a second calculator in the exam in case the first one fails?

I don't see why not. You'll probably get other people asking for it though. Thinking about it.. calculator isn't used that much anyway

mp3guy wrote:
    Speaking of calculators, can you bring in two of the same model calculator in case you think one could possibly die?

I always bring in two into every exam (that I need one). I've a retro Texas Instruments Galaxy 40x and a more recent Sharp 531-W. The first is quicker to use then the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

E92 wrote:
    I thought calculators that can convert square roots into surds aren't allowed either. That calculator can solve equations, can do some differentiation and Integration, substitution in Algebra, basically a lot of things the rest of us have to do in our heads in the exam! That calcuator would definately not be allowed in the exam. Sure if they alowed that calculator everyone would be doing honours maths!
    I wonder that too. Are you allowed to bring in a second calculator in the exam in case the first one fails?

This ones allowed

Casio fx83ES

And it does all that apart from Diff and Integ. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Ok so the BIG question i have to ask, is the casio fx-83 MS allowed? i have no idea what it can do or whatever, i use it for just division multiplication addition and subtraction and to make somthing to the power of.

Why dont the department of education have a list of calculators that are alowed and arent. Darnst buggers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭cabla

Patricide wrote:
    Ok so the BIG question i have to ask, is the casio fx-83 MS allowed? i have no idea what it can do or whatever, i use it for just division multiplication addition and subtraction and to make somthing to the power of.

Why dont the department of education have a list of calculators that are alowed and arent. Darnst buggers.

Ye thats fine im pretty sure

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Nexarz

is the Fx-570es allowed? had it for aages and id hate to change jus before my math exam:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭Spank

This thread is freaking me out! Wouldn't it be the worst thing ever to get your calculator taken off you minutes before the exam? I have a sharp EL-500M. This ok???? < note the urgency

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I see that honesty and integrity are alive and well in Ireland!
    No point spending another €20 on a superfluous calculator

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

http://img.shopping.com/cctool/PrdImg/images/pr/177X150/00/01/3b/42/b3/20660915.JPG

That's mine, whatever it is. Used to have to stab the reset button a lot because the numbers would fade..but I have shiny new batteries in it now.

Never liked the Casio ones. Wouldn't dare bring in any of the 'cheat' calculators, imagine getting it taken off you!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

You have to indicate on your paper the make and model of calculator used.
    There's a whole section on it in the LC handbook.

In answer to Patricide, Nexarz and Spank respectively:
    Casio fx83Ms - yes
    Casio fx570es - no (has diff, int and equation solving)
    Sharp EL-500M - yes

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I bought the one that the OP was originally speaking about...eason's said that it isn't programmable as per the restrictions, and that its allowed.Also it had a big sticker across the front that said it was ideal for leaving/junior cert

Notwithstanding the claims of a sales assistant in Eason's, it clearly contravenes paragraph (f) of the circular.

But, do as you choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

No its just that the one that can draw the tables that you were saying,it can solve equations and its fine.......also the one i have technically isn't programmable,so i dunno

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Nothing to stop people writing a different model on the paper

lemansky wrote:
    No its just that the one that can draw the tables that you were saying,it can solve equations and its fine.......also the one i have technically isn't programmable,so i dunno
    The fx83es can't solve equations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

mp3guy wrote:
    Nothing to stop people writing a different model on the paper
    What if the superintendent is a Maths, Applied Maths, Physics,Chemistry, Accounting, Business or Economics teacher? Theres calculator work involved in each of these subjects. So they would know the ins and outrs of different calculators. Especially a teacher of the first 4 subjects I mentioned.
    Anyway, and sorry for being anal, its unfair on the rest of us who will not have the luxury of doing the exam much faster and get a much higher grade for doing less work, and a lot easier work. The exams comission aren't that dumb and I'm sure even if the superintendent doesnt teach a subject with calculator involvement they will be told to watch out for certain types of calculator that dont conform witrh exam rules.

I'd say with the amount of calculators that can do a load of things that they don't allow they'll ban calculators again or else supply them on the day like they do with log tables in time to come.

• Advertisement

The easons I got the calculator is sold out of all the other ones now :o

Advertisement