Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calculator

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Patricide wrote:
    Why dont the department of education have a list of calculators that are alowed and arent. Darnst buggers.

Too much work updating it, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Imagine your battery ran out mid-test. That would be rofltastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Trust the Power of Solar!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Nah my batteries were dying for a few months...the numbers just fade, but repeatedly stabbing reset button gets them back..for a while. Opened it up, found out the batteries were just AA ones, and my calculator is 6 years old...last for fecking ages, obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Sold out in dundrum too! Whats the world coming to when shops can't supply enough calculators :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭StephenC_IRL

Memorise the Model number of another calculator, I doubt there'll be any checks done

sharp el531h

its allowed, so memorise that and bring something cool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

By the way, did it last year and Im pretty sure no-ones calculator was checked before the exam. You just right down the model number on the page, as someone said.

So if theres a problem with your calculator youll find out after the exams ;)
    But yeah, as long as you dont bring a supercomputer in with you, Id say you are ok. Any run of the mill job should do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭adam_ccfc

Sharp EL531W <-- allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭genericgoon

adam_ccfc wrote:

OMG Thats what I was gunna ask. Although since the h one is allowed it should be easy to bypass even if it isnt allowed.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

adam_ccfc wrote:

yep

• Advertisement

thank christ

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

ok, had to get a new calculator cause my last one died, anyway its a CASIO fx-83es .

Says on a big sticker in the front that its ideal for leaving cert but still taking no chances here.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

As long as the sticker on the front is from the manufacturer its okay,because it could be from a shop otherwise who lets face it are just trying to sell things....thats the upshot of my chat with somebody from the dept of education about this.Loads of people are using the originally quoted calculator,Not eben the bastardish supervisors or inspectors are checking calculators.As has been said as long as it doesn't look like a supercomputer its grand.Just bring in a crapper one as well.....just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

No calculators were checked in my exam centre. Bring in something that looks normal and your fine! You can write any modle number on the paper

The thing is if even if we did bring in these super calculators half of us wouldnt even know how to use all these cheating features. its hard using calculators with alltheir modes secondary modes. Without a manual youre lost!

The thing is if even if we did bring in these super calculators half of us wouldnt even know how to use all these cheating features. its hard using calculators with alltheir modes secondary modes. Without a manual youre lost!

Exactly.Its all very well saying that they should be banned because you can do integration on them......besides don't you have to show all your work anyway?SO when talking about using it to solve equations its not a help beyond checking your answer.You still have to do the work.

I know my calculator can do more than I do with it (though not to an LC infringing extent) but i wouldnt know how. Tbh its easier to just do this stuff on paper anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭cocoa

mine can do standard deviation and I'm allowed use it for that in the exams :)
    FTW

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

Not many people seem to know that you can get the polar/modulus of a vector on nearly all normal calculators with POL, and theres a few other things like the store function as well.

The calculator I used for my SAT's can integrate, differentiate, solve quadratic/exponential/regression/logarithmic functions, find min/max, solve logs, solve matrix equations, calculate standard deviation, solve complex number calculations and a lot of other stuff, best thing is that it looks exactly like my other calculator except for a few extras stickers around the buttons.
    It's not hard to use either, since it has a math display. Bringing something like that into tests would definitely help in my opinion.

But I'd be way too chicken**** to bring it in tbh. . .oh and of course theres the strong moral objections I'd have to it as well. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

lol getting worried coz i have a pretty advanced calculator it was casio and didn't say suited for the leaving cert but it said it was alright for the english exams ( GCSE'S).....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Calculator casemod anyone?

The way I see it as that the people who know how to use all these functions are the ones who don't need to use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Bluefox21

fx 570ES it can integrtae so im pretty worried anyone know if that one is allowed its casio and silver

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭MathsManiac

Bluefox21 wrote:
    fx 570ES it can integrtae so im pretty worried anyone know if that one is allowed its casio and silver
    Answered earlier in this thread: no

Advertisement