Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stuffed toys

Options
  • 04-06-2007 12:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭

this isnt a question about children, but about toys.

i have a huge stuffed orangutan, which i love dearly, but which i left in my apartment over easter, and came back to discover there was mould growing on the walls of my bedroom, and also on my teddy. i surface-washed him, like the care label said to do, but he still smells really mouldy. is the care label an absolute, or would it be safe to put him in the washing machine on a low heat to get rid of the horrible smell?

thanks in advance for your help.

(i know this probably isnt the right forum for this, so someone can move it if they need to)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

I've risked washing toys that stated surface wash only in washing machine and haven't had any problems. As a childminder I need to keep toys clean as more children than normal are playing with the toys.

I wouldn't risk it with toys that have a button to press to make it sing or talk though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

I've never found the surface wash to work so they've always gone in the washing machine (and tumble dryer) and most come out as good as new. There have been a couple that haven't quite been the same afterwards but they've always been acceptable to the little people.
    Like Deisemum i wouldn't risk it with toys with a talking button but I don't imagine your OrangUtan has a voice, does he? Maybe don't bother with the tumble dryer to reduce the risk. Hang him out if the weather is nice and leave him in hot press over night and he should be ok.**

**Disclaimer. I take no responsibility for the above advice if the Orang Utan comes to an unfortunate demise in the washing machine.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I machine wash soft toys too, without a problem. The only thing that might cause you a problem is if hes a very big orangutang he may not rinse right in your machine. If you have room, maybe fit him into a pillowcase or small duvet cover to help protect him.

Advertisement