Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making websites harder to download for those on dialup will solve broadband issues

Options
  • 04-06-2007 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭

Also posted this on the IrelandOffline forum but thought it might be of interest to people on this forum too. Hope the mods don't mind a cross-post:

A "consultant" in the business post has said that all the noise that certain people make about availability is just Irish begrudgery at work and the way to get people to use broadband is for the Government to make websites harder to download for those on dialup.
    The relevance issue could prove more difficult in that many people find their dial-up access is all they require for their limited level of internet usage. However, if the government were to begin setting up content-rich sites for the public which required broadband access for full functionality, this too might be addressed.

That and other nuggets of wisdom from John White of PA Consulting here.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Does this flute not notice the ros.ie site times out its ssl layer over 12k or 16.8k dialup out in the countryside. Country people have no internet government services as it is FFS :(

Has he never tried BOI banking online at those speeds. ??

Has John never noticed the hideous line rental we pay for this crap ?? This is simply bollox, roll it out first .....dammit :( and then maybe massage the demand with this frippery .

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Jesus i'd like to get this fcuk wit and put him in mine and thousands of other peoples shoes where for the last 10 or 11yrs the only answer we've ever goten is NO. I'm payimg near on 200e a month for a split line, internet access and a crap 1 way satellite connection and then this ****er appears on the horizon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,677 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The stupidity of these people never ceases to amaze me.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

The stupidity of these people never ceases to amaze me.

At the end of the day thats what really gets to me about this PA consultant prick.
    If i had to list the top two reason for the"Irish Broadband" market been the way it is, stupidity would be siting way the **** up there along with greed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Who is this John White, of PA Consulting, muppet? How is making a website unusable for dial-up users going to work for those who can't actually avail of broadband? The first lesson you learn when developing for the web is you should always cater to the lowest-common denominator - i.e., those stuck on dial-up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Good god...How could an idiot like this actually work for a consulting firm?.. what the hell are we going to do if people he's saying this to believe him and dont you know some will!:eek:

Advertisement