Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sequence of events after 2nd hand car purchase?

Options
  • 04-06-2007 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi

Just bought my first car - 2nd hand car from a dealer.

Car is taxed until the end of this month.

Can you advise on the next steps before I can drive it. I don't currently have insurance in my own name, though I have named driver experience.

Does the dealer send off the change of ownership documentation ? Or is there any forms I need to get working on?
    I presume I sort out my insurance, and then can drive it, though will need to renew the tax once June is out.

Any advise welcome..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

You should go ahead and get your insurance sorted out asap. The dealer should send off the paperwork to Shannon who will send you out a new Certificate of Ownership which you will need to tax the car and also NCT it (if that needs to be done).

When I say the dealer should send off the paperwork, they don't always - one sat on my paperwork for a month until I found out about it and kicked up a fuss. Hopefully though that dealer is a minority, but I'll never buy from them again and would advise anyone I know not to deal with them either - though that's a seperate rant.

Happy motoring :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

You can arrange insurance over the phone in order to legally drive the car home from the dealer's premises. They'll give you 7-10 days to pay up and then they'll issue you an insurance certificate and disc. They will require proof of your 2 years named driving unless you're getting insured with the same company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Op - Just to back up what the others said..

I bought a car from a dealer 3 weeks ago. It was NCT'd already but not taxed.

They sent the change of ownership form off and I am waiting for the cert from Shannon.

I have a photocopy of the old cert and the COO form that was sent to Shannon.

I was stopped by a Garda over the weekend about the tax, showed him the photocopies and it was grand (He told me I'd "be waiting" for the cert :))

You can get your insurance online or over the phone. Whoever had you as named driver must get a letter from their insurer to back you up. Only takes a day or two. Your quote is conditional on providing this letter and must be sent back to your insurer when they send your insurance details and disc.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Lpfsox wrote:
    You should go ahead and get your insurance sorted out asap. The dealer should send off the paperwork to Shannon who will send you out a new Certificate of Ownership which you will need to tax the car and also NCT it (if that needs to be done).

When I say the dealer should send off the paperwork, they don't always - one sat on my paperwork for a month until I found out about it and kicked up a fuss. Hopefully though that dealer is a minority, but I'll never buy from them again and would advise anyone I know not to deal with them either - though that's a seperate rant.

I had the same problem before with a crowd - very frustrating. In my last couple of purchases, I've not picked up the car until they have the certificate ready to show me. Actually, same goes for the spare key too.

OP - get your insurance sorted out as soon as you can. I think you can have it in place, but not officially started until you ring them the day you pick up your car, so you're not paying for the insurance before you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

It is possible to tax the car into your name, ie. the dealer can go to the tax office (or give you the paperowrk) and you update the ownership records whilst taxing the car.

That way you walk out with a tax disc there and then, the new certs can follow. If the dealer does it you wont need an Insurance cert, they can use their own.

It depends on the dealers willingness, and if they have regular dealings/are close enough to the Motor tax office!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭BennytheBall

Thanks for your replies

Collected the car, insurance in place ok. Car is taxed until end June - but I cant tax it again until the change of ownerships forms arrive from Shannon (which the dealer sent off)

Am I legally entitled to drive the car between July 1 and whatever time those forms come back to me?

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Am I legally entitled to drive the car between July 1 and whatever time those forms come back to me?
    Yes

Advertisement