Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Starting ACCA

• 04-06-2007 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

A bit of further advice on ACCA needed if anyone can help me. I just phoned up the Belfast Institute of Further & Higher Education to get some details from the secretary but it proved to be a wasted phone call.

Basically, what I wanted to know is when beginning studying towards the ACCA qualification, how many modules would one usually study simultaneously? I would be starting doing it on a part time evening basis in September. Would I be likely to be doing exams in December, or if not, then when? I realise these questions might be hard to answer as every college might have different ways of doing things but any guidance would be gratefully received.

Cheers,

R

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭eggie

ACCA have 2 sittings per year - June/July & December. There arfe 16 modules in total, 14 of which you must complete. There are possibilities for exemptions based on previous qualifications, this obviously varies from person to person.

You can opt to do as many modules as you want, the norm is prob 2 at a time, however 3 would not be unheard of either. The more you do simultaneously the more expensive it will be as you pay the college for each exam and registration for exams with ACCA is also on per module basis.

I would suggest trying out 2 first to get into the frame of mind and used to the transition, if this is not challenging enough you can then take on more modules in later sittings.

You must register before 31st July for the december exams, colleges normally begin study around August/September.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Jigsaw

Thanks there for the reply. So in terms of the length of the modules, would it be the case that a module you would start studying in September would then have its exam in December, or do they take a bit longer than that?

Just found out there that I have an interview on Friday morning so am very excited but also nervous because I am doing this as a career change and there is a lot at stake!!!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭honeymonster

Hey quick question, I am hoping to sit the exams this december and I was going to buy the books but the prices are so different on play and eason's websites, can someone explain this to me. I dont want to buy the wrong thing.

Thanks

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

but the prices are so different on play and eason's websites,

Stephen

Hi Stephen, Am I correct in thinking that Eason's sell ACCA books?!?

Usually, if studying at home you would buy books direct from BPP or Foulks Lynch as the recommended ACCA study partners.

BTW, you can take a maximum of 4 ACCA papers in one sitting. However, apart from the first three you'd be hard pressed to pass more than 2 exams in one sitting. If you start studying in September for December exams then you'll find it tough going. From the first three exams on it gets though.

Good luck

Hey thanks for the reply, I was gona grab the books now and get stuck in. I am going to do two every 6 months because I need to get 3 yrs work experience as well as passing my exams to get the acca so i'll spread them out over two years.

Thanks again for the advice,

Stephen

• Advertisement

I went on to the bpp site, and there loads of stuff you can get besides the txt books, is the other stuff ne good?

Stephen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Yip - although the worth of the revision kits is dubious. You can get all the past papers on ACCA's website and if you can cover all those you'll be doing well.

You might also want to pick up the passnotes. This is the condensed form of the study text - the core stuff. T

There's a lot of "stuff" in the study texts that's not necessary - but, to cover the entire syllabus I guess they need to include it. From a first time student perspective it's hard to pick out the core stuff from the CYA stuff. That's where evening lectures from a good college is invaluable.

You pays your money and you takes your chances! :)

Advertisement