Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Art History Predictions

Options
  • 04-06-2007 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi! i'm new here!!!!
    i'd really appreciate if u cud post wat u think is going 2 come up in the art history paper!
    thanks a mill!!!:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Art historys pretty Easy to predict. The thing you can 99.99999% be sure of is that the bronze age will come up. Its been alternating between the bronze age and newgrange since the start of the art history exams which was somtime in the 1920's, last year was new grange so unless they do a massive overhaul to there thinking youd be safe learning the bronze age only.

Basicly know the bronze age inside out, an irish artist a european artist and the photograph question is all your opinion so be opinated.

Im personally learning bacon, da vinci and im doing the question on an art exhitbit i went to which to my knowlege comes up pretty much EVERY year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭sunflowerz

Bronze age, surrealism and impressionism, gallery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Groovy

thanks 4 dat! huge help!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Splinkk

Bronze age or Stone Crosses for Irish history
    Romanesque/Gothic for European
    Then the design is handy, but Gallery is always there.

Stone crosses? ive never even heard of that question coming up. What is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭kisaragi

Patricide wrote:
    Stone crosses? ive never even heard of that question coming up. What is it?

Stone crosses is part of early christian Ireland, Fahan Mura slab etc up to all the high crosses (haven't revised it in months so that's a vague overview...)

Personally I'm praying that Louis Le Brocquy (90th birthday and first living artist to be in the national gallery) and Robert Ballagh (can't remember why but almost certain to come up) come up for Irish history, I HATE everything else.

Early Rennaissance would be nice for European.

Gallery visit is always on General appreciation.

Actually you're GARAUNTEED to get a question on Georgian/Neo-classical architecture in the Irish section and on Romanesque/Gothic cathedrals in the European. These are the only garaunteed things so if you must study just one topic, study these inside out.

I have another question, if you write about an artist, say Robert Ballagh, for the Irish section, is it bad to then write about a visit you made to his exhibition? Since the focus goes from paintings -) gallery layout etc, I think it's ok, but I'm not sure... Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭analyse this

What, in God's name, are you doing up so early?!!:D

I have another question, if you write about an artist, say Robert Ballagh, for the Irish section, is it bad to then write about a visit you made to his exhibition? Since the focus goes from paintings -) gallery layout etc, I think it's ok, but I'm not sure... Any ideas?

As long as you don't stray from the question and start talking about the layout of the exhibition I don’t see a problem. In fact, I would think the examiner would welcome your personal experience with his work. You could discuss the direct emotions it had on you etc. instead of the usual regurgitation of rubbish that he/she is subjected to.

We have only touched the exhibition question so I'm still kind of weary about it. Did you do film appreciation?

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭eoiner

does anyone have an idea as for deffinate what european artists will come up, or in the section where it asks you to choose a sort of theme, does anyone know what they could be, i need help with the european

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭SamHamilton

Romanesque and Gothic always comes up and saying that you predict Romanesque and Gothic will come up means nothing!:D

What aspects do you think will come up in the Romanesque and Gothic section? I hope to God it's Romanesque-heavy.

• Advertisement

thanks but what artists do you tink are coming up, e.g michelangelo
    donatello, bernini, massacio........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 originalcupcake

im thinking:

sec1 la tene / bronze age

sec2: romanesque sculpture

sec 3: hopefully museum/gallery visit/ design q

usually theres an option for anything really, we just studied bacon da vinci a gallery trip and the bronze age, we found that that was enough for every paper in the last 10 years.

as i have said, does anyone know the names of any artists, like michelanglo...
    or the possible themes that could come up in the option question

As long as you don't stray from the question and start talking about the layout of the exhibition I don’t see a problem. In fact, I would think the examiner would welcome your personal experience with his work. You could discuss the direct emotions it had on you etc. instead of the usual regurgitation of rubbish that he/she is subjected to.

We have only touched the exhibition question so I'm still kind of weary about it. Did you do film appreciation?

Haha no I mean if you write about the artist and his work for the irish section. And then, for your general appreciation section you do the gallery visit.. to his gallery :D I did it in the mocks and the teacher didn't mark me down and it doesn't say anywhere you shouldn't.. but I'm still wary.

And yeah we did film appreciation, but I'm not going to bother with it because they could ask a specific film and then you're screwed... The other easy question is usually the design one, but we never did that, I just looked at them and assumed they're easy haha. But I wrote a 50/50 question for my mocks on a gallery visit so I'm going to stick with that if I can :)

And eonir, as far as I know it's pretty much impossible to predict specific artists for the European section. There's not that many... off the top of my head you could learn - Mantegna, Giotto, Massaccio, Da Vinci, Michaelangelo, Bernini, Rubens, Renoir and say Monet. And there you have about 500 years of artists covered :)

I'll do Giotto and Brunelleschi, Bernini and maybe Da Vinci and then look over Romanesque and Gothic since I already have those well established in my head. It's up to you and and how much of a risk you want to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭LilyPool

My art teacher never gave us any sample answers so i was just wondering if anyone knew where i could get some or if anyone wanted to share theirs.
    I'm really stuck for art history and while i was flicking through the exam papers one question asked:"Describe and discuss the characteristics of Gothic sculpture and its relationship to the architecture of the period.
    Could someone please explain what is meant by "its relationship to the [I]architecture of the period."[/I] Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Fjoem

Neo classical/ palladian architecture
    Picasso
    Gallery exhibition

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭LilyPool

im thinking:

sec1 la tene / bronze age

sec2: romanesque sculpture

sec 3: hopefully museum/gallery visit/ design q
    Why do you think these will come up? I'm hoping that they will but I just wanted to know.

what about the sort of themes question e.g

1. a painting depicting a meal
    2. depicting sea
    3. portrait

doea anyone see any pattern in these ones, help im screwed for european section

well you can always fit soomthing into things like them.

Meal = last supper
    depicting sea- announciation(has a harbour in the backround)
    portrait - mona lisa.

Just be creative man.

• Advertisement

Patricide wrote:
    well you can always fit soomthing into things like them.

Meal = last supper
    depicting sea- announciation(has a harbour in the backround)
    portrait - mona lisa.

Just be creative man.

yeh, but i didnt do very many of those artists, all i have done are...

michealngelo
    bernini
    j.m.william.turner
    masacio
    de bondone

and i have about 6 hours left to know one of them really well

eoiner wrote:
    yeh, but i didnt do very many of those artists, all i have done are...

michealngelo
    bernini
    j.m.william.turner
    masacio
    de bondone

and i have about 6 hours left to know one of them really well

You can't 100% predict it... wouldn't be much of an exam otherwise.

yeh but can you slim down the chances with only a few hours left

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 SuZyQ!

I am soo freacked over the art I failed it in de mocks because I misread a question and did one question wrong :( I really wish newgrange woz cumin up but I no bronze age will prob cum up i am doing the exhibition question but then for european does any1 tink the quttrocento will cum up :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 28 debz929292

gallery question? what the hell is that? iv never seen the exam papers because they dont sell them in the shops.. and i dont remember it on the mocks? my teacher is a bit dosey:rolleyes: anyone care to explain?:confused:

debz929292 wrote:
    gallery question? what the hell is that? iv never seen the exam papers because they dont sell them in the shops.. and i dont remember it on the mocks? my teacher is a bit dosey:rolleyes: anyone care to explain?:confused:

Basically you just talk about a gallery visit. The type of lighting they used, how info was displayed, talk about a work you enjoyed etc.

You can get all the exam papers at http://www.examintations.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭kurisu

in the art history and apreciation can we draw a work where talking about? my teacher keeps suggesting that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Be@st

Bronze Age I'd put my money on, hope Baroque Art makes a big show on the paper, I know it inside out. Gallery Visit is very likely to come up, as last year a Gallery Leaflet question showed.
    I'm learning these off in this order...
    -> Bronze Age(throughly) + Crosses(briefly)
    -> Baroque Art(throughly) + Romanticism(throughly) + Renaissance(throughly)
    -> Gallery Visit(easy, general knowledge):D

Oh yeah, and yes, draw as much as you can to illustrate what you're talking about. A lot of the overall marks go for illustration, not many realise that though.

Be@st wrote:

Oh yeah, and yes, draw as much as you can to illustrate what you're talking about. A lot of the overall marks go for illustration, not many realise that though.

Errr...no they don't. For a 50 mark question an avergae of ten marks is allocated to illustrations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Be@st

Wouldn't you be annoyed if you were 10marks off getting an extra few points to get into college, I deem any amount of marks, be in 10 or otherwise, important.

Advertisement