Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Love

• 04-06-2007 3:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭

Hey, to begin with background as I think its important you understand the mindset from where this this question comes, I'm a Catholic.

I took a theology course this last semester that went over what it means for Christians to believe in a Triune God. It stressed that it is not possible for a being to exist alone in itself and love.. so, if God is alone, then God is not in Himself alone a Loving God.

We went into different things, but the one question that I think can only be answered by a Muslim is if Allah is also a being that inherently Loves, if so how? if not, then what explanation does a Muslim have for love in the world? For if we are created by a being that doesn't love or have love.. then where does it come from?
    I've been wondering about this here and there since I asked a Muslim friend of mine this question, and he looked at me wondering and said, "God is love? I don't understand what you mean by this. "Unfortunately he is from Saudi Arabia and didn't have the English vocab to explain his thoughts on this topic.
    (I feel that I may have been a bit clumsy with my words, please let me know if I need to clarify any part of this further)

Thank you for your time,
    Salaam : ) ~Beth

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

I am not sure what your getting you asking exactly. I will try my best to answer in anyways.

God is the creator, we don't consider God the personification of love. I think thats what your getting at? Now God does love and is repeatedly referred to be merciful in the Koran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭40crush41

Thank you for attempting, you helped answer the basic questions I wasn't sure about.
    What I'm gettin at here is that both religions believe in a God that is omnipotent, one, and now you have agreed with me, that loves.. among other similarities that possibly exist.
    Since the Christian God is one in three persons, there is the ability for God to express love within Himself. God therefore does not need any other beings for love to exist. Its an inherent part of His existence.
    Allah is one being, am I wrong in my thinking that a being can not love alone? I suppose I could answer my question by saying that there is love of self, yet that is a selfish love if that is all that you have. I think my problem lies in the fact that there is some sort of dependence for God upon humanity for Him to be able to express love. My understanding of God is one where God can exist without anything else.. He is the Ultimate.

Is anyone following me? or did I even go anywhere... ah well, I'll try to continue reading..
    thanks for your time ~Beth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Salam Beth! You're very welcome here on the Islam forum. Hope you've read the forum charter.

What an incredibly interesting thread!!! I love it when philosophy meets religion. I'd love to read some books on Islamic philosophy.

Anyway, if I understand your question correctly, you're asking how can a God who exists as One love? Is that right?

Well, first thing I'd like to say is that, from an Islamic point of view, you can't think of God in the same terms as a human being and make comparisons in that way. As a Muslim, the only accurate descriptions I can say about God are the ones He Himself uses in the Quran. As Wes already pointed out, God refers to Himself as being Merciful in the Quran a number of times. Some examples:

Al-Fatiha:1 (the very first verse in the Quran... and repeated at the start of almost every chapter)
    "In the name of Allah, most Gracious, most Merciful"

Al-'Anam:12
    "Say: "Unto whom belongs all that is in the heavens and on earth?" Say: "Unto God, who has willed upon Himself the law of grace and mercy. He will assuredly gather you all together on the Day of Resurrection, [the coming of] which is beyond all doubt: yet those who have squandered their own selves-it is they who refuse to believe [in Him],"

Al-'Anam:54
    "And when those who believe in Our messages come unto thee, say: "Peace be upon you. Your Sustainer has willed upon Himself the law of grace and mercy - so that if any of you does a bad deed out of ignorance, and thereafter repents and lives righteously, He shall be [found] much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace."

Those last two verses are very significant in that they show how God has "willed upon Himself the law of grace and mercy". Al hamdlilAlah! (thank God!)

There's also a hadith (saying of the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him)) that says that the Mercy in the whole universe is split into 100 parts. 99 parts are with God and the final part was distributed amongst His creation (rough translation).

As for loving, God refers to himself as Al-Wadud (The Loving One). The Arabic word Wid where the noun Al-Wadud comes from is a special kind of love. Some examples from the Quran:

Hud:90
    " "But ask forgiveness of your Lord, and turn unto Him (in repentance): For my Lord is indeed full of mercy and loving-kindness." "

Al-Buruj:14
    "And He is the Oft-Forgiving, Full of loving-Kindness,"

They are examples where He refers to Himself as The Loving One. Some other examples where the word hub (the frequently used word for love in the Arabic language):

Al-Baqara:95
    "And spend [freely] in God's cause, and let not your own hands throw you into destruction; and persevere in doing good: behold, God loves the doers of good."

Al-Imran:31
    "Say [O Prophet]: "If you love God, follow me, [and] God will love you and forgive you your sins; for God is much-forgiving, a dispenser of grace." "

Al-Imran:134
    "who spend [in His way] in time of plenty and in time of hardship, and hold in check their anger, and pardon their fellow-men because God loves the doers of good;"

And there are other examples.

So, that way, we have established that as far as the Quran is concerned, God is loving and merciful.

If you don't mind me saying so and with all due respect, I don't think it's correct to say that God cannot love if He is One God. God is well capable of being able to love in His Unity.

And to draw an analogy (and of course God is beyond all example), would you say that if you were locked in a room alone, wouldn't you still be able to express love if you had another to love but the ability to love is still inside of you? Of course, that's not a perfect analogy but hopefully you know what I mean.
    40crush41 wrote:
    I think my problem lies in the fact that there is some sort of dependence for God upon humanity for Him to be able to express love.
    Probably the most interesting question of the thread. As a Muslim, I believe that God doesn't need humanity and He is fully Self-Sufficient. I don't think it's possible to answer the question completely unless you can have a one-on-one conversation with God. For me, it's enough to know that God is loving and I hope that He loves me... and you... and everyone here... everywhere :)

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

The_New_Mr,...your approach and explanation to this topic is excellent, indeed you have covered every angle on this one, well done..Jazak Allah Kil Khair (May Allah reward you with good deeds )

The new mr, thank you : ) You have done a spledid job helping me sort all of this out. What I was looking for was an understanding of how you understand your God -your relationship with Allah, and how a relationship of love works, and that is what you gave me.

I want to continue thinking about this solitary part, its all to interesting to let go. : )
    The solitary person in confinement is a rough analogy, I'm not criticising you, I realize that the full comprehension of God is beyond us. And honestly, I was imagining a like situation when I was asking the question.

So, yes, I would agree that I had the capacity to love. Its an innate characteristic of humanity. I say this with the backup that I'm created in the image of a God that shares love. Of course, without practice, and being alone, I would say I would express a self-centered sort of love.
    *thinks* You too are created in your creators image, or is there not such a close link made in Islam? And further, I believe it would be suffice to say as a perfect being, selfish-ness wouldn't occur, its an action that takes away from others, it doesn't give life. Thats not merciful. I can follow that.

Thanks for taking your time to reply to me, I can tell you put careful thought into this. If it means anything, I had a great grin on my face when I read your response and saw you understood my response and me understanding yours in return.

Salam&hub ~Beth : )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055095385 - We've discussed the oneness of Allah in this thread :)

Thanks Suff & Beth for your nice comments. I try :) For sure, any goodness in that post of mine is thanks to God and any error in it is mine and mine alone.

To continue the discussion...

First thing I wanted to mention is that, unlike Christianity and other religions, we don't believe that we were created in God's image. We believe that it is impossible to fully comprehend or understand Him, that He is unlike anything we know and that the best information we have about Him is that which He tells us of Himself. I know I repeated myself a wee bit there from the last post. Sorry about that :)

Anyway, here's a chapter from the Quran expressing this.

Al-Ihklas

"Say: He is Allah, the One!
    Allah, the eternally Besought of all!
    He begetteth not nor was begotten.
    And there is none comparable unto Him."

And another verse:

Ash-Shura:11

"(He is) the Creator of the heavens and the earth: He has made for you pairs from among yourselves, and pairs among cattle: by this means does He multiply you: there is nothing whatever like unto Him, and He is the One that hears and sees (all things)."

Going back to God and His love without creation. Well, as I said, we can't really know exactly how this goes without God telling us directly. I did manage to find a verse from the Quran that shows His self-sufficiency (there are many such verses).

Al-Hajj:64
    "Unto Him belongs all that is in the heavens and all that is on earth; and, verily, God - He alone - is self-sufficient, the One to whom all praise is due."

Think I've said all I can for now :) Once again, any error in this post is my own.

Thanks so much for taking the time you do to reply, I really appreciate it.

-and you taught me something new, Muslims are not created in the image of God. That sure is a difference in theology, and makes perfect sense then why you have stated you can't fully understand God.
    Not that Christians claim to either.. there are those mysteries.. but I think there is an element within Christianity that allows for reflection and a quest to become more "Christ-like".. so in that way, there is room to understand our creator.
    Ah, enlightenment : ) (I should let the Buddhists know that I just experienced some of that good stuff)

You're welcome :)

I think that when it comes to understanding the Creator, neither Christianity nor Islam (nor any other religion for that matter) can claim that fully understanding Him is possible. As long as we can't fully understand Him then the percentage of not understanding is unknown and hence the percentage of knowing Him is unknown... if ya catch my drift? Therefore, respectfully, I don't think you can say that it's possible to understand Him more in one religion than the other.

Obviously, in Christianity, there's the belief that God is human (or at least has a human form) so, from that perspective, a Christian feels they can understand God more since they can have a good insight to the human mind and emotions. Still, as I said, as long as there are mysteries then the unknown percentage itself is unknown.

As far as Islam is concerned anyway, you have the names of God and you have all His descriptions of Himself in the Quran. As if God is saying to us that that is all we need to know about Him (at least for now). The Quran is then about guiding us and helping us to know the truth of the life of this world and keeping on the right path.

As for the enlightenment thing, I once heard a quote in a film called Bullet Proof Monk (okay, it's not the best film around... but I enjoyed it. What can I say? I love Kung Fu movies :D) that said: "He who knows others is wise. He who knows himself is enlightened." (a quick google later reveals that it's by a guy called Lao Tzu).

And that's no small feat by any stretch of the imagination.

I guess if we could really understand the reality of the life of this world so that we know it like we know our names or better then everything would be easier and things wouldn't get us down so much. But I remind myself that even the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him) would feel sad sometimes and sometimes happy. These are human emotions after all. Maybe that's part of knowing yourself. An acceptance of your humanity. That was cool :) Nice train of thought there :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

40crush41 wrote:
    -and you taught me something new, Muslims are not created in the image of God.

I recently asked a young Muslim about this and he answered that he doesn’t really understand what ”created in the image of God” means (a very smart comment IMHO since Christian philosophers have discussed that expression for ages and don’t always agree on how to understand it), but that he indeed could find some likeness between verses from Genesis in the Bible and some verses in the Qur’an about the creation of humans and the relationship between God and human beings:

Genesis 28: God blessed them and said to them, "Be fruitful and increase in number; fill the earth and subdue it. Rule over the fish of the sea and the birds of the air and over every living creature that moves on the ground."

Qur’an 2:30
    And your Lord said to the Angels: "I am placing a successor on Earth." They said: "Would You place in it he who would corrupt in it, and spill blood, while we sing Your glory, and praise You?" He said: "I know what you do not know."

This verse also seems to indicate a close association/relationship between the Creator and the humans (and especially the Sufis will stress this):

Qur’an 32:9
    He shaped him and blew into him from His spirit. And He gave you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brains; rarely are you thankful.

Also the sacredness of life seems to be more or less the same in the two religions:

Qur’an: 17:33
    You shall not kill any person - for GOD has made life sacred - except in the course of justice.

40crush41 wrote:
    Ah, enlightenment : ) (I should let the Buddhists know that I just experienced some of that good stuff)

;) Had a satori?

• Advertisement

the_new_mr wrote:
    I think that when it comes to understanding the Creator, neither Christianity nor Islam (nor any other religion for that matter) can claim that fully understanding Him is possible. As long as we can't fully understand Him then the percentage of not understanding is unknown and hence the percentage of knowing Him is unknown... if ya catch my drift? Therefore, respectfully, I don't think you can say that it's possible to understand Him more in one religion than the other.
    I do agree in the first part -that we are not fully capable as humans to understand the mind of God. There are reasons for this.. our bodies limit us, we are selfish, among a nice list I'm sure of what inhibits us from knowing complete reality.
    However, I think I disagree on the second part. Even if you don't know how much you don't know, you can still know a given amount. I suppose the point might be that you don't know if what you know is correct?... and so, who is anyone to say that one religion has all the revelations right, and the other one missed it all? but I guess that’s what we call faith... faith that what we say we believe in is what is truth (or closest to truth as far as the human mind can comprehend).

About faith -I liked what my philosophy teacher said about it.. (along the lines) that we have fallen into the habit of thinking that faith is only this feeling that we can't prove since its never found in the form of concrete evidence, but really its a feeling that we have because of something that is in reality there -even if we can't see it we know that its real. And that indication of this thing beyond us should be taken seriously... for if we can work on understanding what is making us feel that certain way, we can eventually come to understand the reality behind that feeling.. In theology we called it the “religious sense” (this is a hard concept for me to put into words. Funny how some thoughts can do that to you!)

a fitting example of what I’m rambling about is Love : ) We know it exists.. but how, and why, and what makes us love? I would say it’s our inherent characteristics, created in the image of God...
    my understanding of "Image of God" btw is that we too share life as rational individuals persons, living in a universal community that is formed by the love that is shared throughout the group. It is love that is communicated so strongly throughout this group that we actually become One. (One universal church). Of course, we are not God ourselves, we are human and so we are not perfect. C.S Lewis said on this point is that its similar to the idea of a man who sculpts a statue of a man.. though it shares likeness in appearance, it is not a man. (Mere Christianity)
    Hopefully my understanding is somewhat on the right path, but if you're wondering how I’m thinking.. there you go : )

Now, I don't want you to get the impression that because you have told me that Islam doesn't see that God "creates humanity in His image" means I think that there is a lack of love, rationality, so on.
    You have told me that Allah expresses His love through mercy. If I am thinking correctly then, all that you have and know is given to you by Allah in His plan to help humanity live a good life. It is not a part of His spirit that He has shared with humanity, He is on a different plane that is incomprehensible for human minds –and so, whatever we do understand is because He has given us His words. If it is part of our characteristics to love and to be merciful, it is not because we share the spirit of this God, but because God has granted us the ability to love and to be merciful (among other things, but these seem relevant).
    I think my understanding of this is correct now
    Obviously, in Christianity, there's the belief that God is human (or at least has a human form) so, from that perspective, a Christian feels they can understand God more since they can have a good insight to the human mind and emotions.
    -Well, Jesus is fully human (not only a form), and fully God. Yes, it helps to talk to a God that became human and understood all the temptations of humanity. I think it’s more that we know Jesus understands how hard it is to be a human and can guide us through temptation. There is also talk about how it affects us in a Redemption aspect.. but that’s another topic and forum. : )
    Okay to the idea that we have insight to what it was like for Jesus to die as a human, all the suffering He faced for us, but what it was like to be fully God? to fully know everything..to know for how long He was destined to die a death on the cross? nah.. I can’t comprehend that.
    I guess if we could really understand the reality of the life of this world so that we know it like we know our names or better then everything would be easier and things wouldn't get us down so much. But I remind myself that even the Prophet Mohamed (peace be upon him) would feel sad sometimes and sometimes happy. These are human emotions after all. Maybe that's part of knowing yourself. An acceptance of your humanity. That was cool :) Nice train of thought there :)

Indeed that was nice, its hard to accept being a human and that mistakes do happen.
    Or even to understand the reality of the next world…
    But I won’t rush things, we will all be there soooooon enough.

I want to note that I hope this didn’t seem to be a comparison between the two religions. I hope no one sees this post looking for the better religion,
    What I think is important is that we understand the thoughts of each others religions.. in doing so, it decreases that fear of the unknown, helps builds tolerance, and even a greater appreciation for ones own beliefs : ) (I say this b/c I realize how much I wrote about Catholicism…)

Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my posts, I realize how much time it takes to do so on these matters... (at least, it takes me sometime to put my thoughts together... perhaps I'll become faster with practice :))
    Keep well, peace&love ~Beth

To maitri
    -There does seem to be a strong connection between the verses that you have selected to show.
    It speaks to the two faith's understanding of the revelation of the Word from God..
    The most interesting I think is the one concerning the breath of Allah's spirit into humanity, that quote helped me understand better the concept that everything of humanity is from Allah. I read it as the moment that Allah gave to humanity rationality and senses.

peace&love

Thanks Beth for those posts. I agree that writing and discussing in this way is a positive thing because it allows people a better understanding of the other.

And you're also right that it sometimes allows you understand your own faith more as you see differences and also similarities and see how the other faith looks at these similar points which gives you a new insight into your own faith.
    40crush41 wrote:
    However, I think I disagree on the second part. Even if you don't know how much you don't know, you can still know a given amount. I suppose the point might be that you don't know if what you know is correct?... and so, who is anyone to say that one religion has all the revelations right, and the other one missed it all? but I guess that’s what we call faith... faith that what we say we believe in is what is truth (or closest to truth as far as the human mind can comprehend).
    Yeah, but if you don't know how much you don't know then how can you know how much of the given amount you know, you know? (sorry, had to put that last "you know" in there :)).
    40crush41 wrote:
    About faith -I liked what my philosophy teacher said about it.. (along the lines) that we have fallen into the habit of thinking that faith is only this feeling that we can't prove since its never found in the form of concrete evidence, but really its a feeling that we have because of something that is in reality there -even if we can't see it we know that its real. And that indication of this thing beyond us should be taken seriously... for if we can work on understanding what is making us feel that certain way, we can eventually come to understand the reality behind that feeling.. In theology we called it the “religious sense” (this is a hard concept for me to put into words. Funny how some thoughts can do that to you!)
    Very nice idea. I like it.
    40crush41 wrote:
    You have told me that Allah expresses His love through mercy.
    And by describing Himself as the Loving One and expressing His love for people in the Quran.
    40crush41 wrote:
    You have told me that Allah expresses His love through mercy. If I am thinking correctly then, all that you have and know is given to you by Allah in His plan to help humanity live a good life. It is not a part of His spirit that He has shared with humanity, He is on a different plane that is incomprehensible for human minds –and so, whatever we do understand is because He has given us His words. If it is part of our characteristics to love and to be merciful, it is not because we share the spirit of this God, but because God has granted us the ability to love and to be merciful (among other things, but these seem relevant).
    Yeah, I think you have it there. The verse that maitri mentioned:
    maitri wrote:
    Qur’an 32:9
    He shaped him and blew into him from His spirit. And He gave you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brains; rarely are you thankful.
    has something in there of that process but it's not clear exactly what happened there. Some interpretations of spirit in that verse are the Angel Gabriel.

And indeed, rarely are we thankful :(
    40crush41 wrote:
    Yes, it helps to talk to a God that became human and understood all the temptations of humanity.
    Well, just to state, from an Islamic perspective, God doesn't need to become a human since He created us and is All-Knowing.
    40crush41 wrote:
    Indeed that was nice, its hard to accept being a human and that mistakes do happen.
    Or even to understand the reality of the next world…
    Yeah, it is hard but I guess have to strive strive strive. One of the best things that happened to me was when I realised that I can't be an angel. Okay, that might seem a bit obvious :) What I mean is that, while we should all try our best to be as good as possible, we have to also realise that we are not perfect and can't be and this acceptance helps to relax a wee bit.
    40crush41 wrote:
    Thank you for taking the time to read and reply to my posts
    And thank you for reading mine.
    40crush41 wrote:
    I realize how much time it takes to do so on these matters... (at least, it takes me sometime to put my thoughts together... perhaps I'll become faster with practice :))
    Actually, I'm the same :) I usually read the new posts in a thread, then click reply and read each post as I write my reply and finally, after posting, re-read my post and make any adjustments I think need to be made. This post took me 17 minutes so far. That's why I don't always reply when I read the posts by the way everybody. I often think to myself "That's gonna take some time... better wait till later" :)

It might be cool if everybody posted how long it took to write their post in each post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

If what you claim is true, that another is needed for there to be love then Allah cannot be omnipotent. Allah is one God, before creation he was alone so he couldn't love, therefore was he not limited in his powers? Any limitation in powers means he is not in fact omnipotent.

Anyway, applying human constructs and logical to omnipotent beings is usually futile.

(I skipped most of the thread)

Advertisement