Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ridiculously short waiting lists

Options
  • 04-06-2007 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭

Seems I have the opposite problem to most people on the waiting list for a test.

So after hearing the world and his wife complaining about the length of waiting lists, I applied for my test after I'd been driving for about a month, which was just over a month ago, with everyone telling me that I'd have plenty of time to practice my three-point turns and road rage.

Just got a letter saying my test in is three weeks. Eep. There's no way I'm going to pass it unless some sort of divine intervention occurs. My driving is alright but I'm not even ready to drive on my own, let alone sit a test.. And it seems so ironic and unfortunate that so many perfectly capable drivers are on huge waiting lists, while muggins here has less than two months between the application and test dates.

Has anyone here passed their test after driving for three months? It just seems so unlikely.

Also if you want a quick turnaround on your application, apply to Skibbereen. Just watch out for me crashing into you while ineptly practising my reversing around corners outside Carbery Timber.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭embraer170

What test centre?

Take 2-3 lessons a week for the weeks leading up to the test and I'd say you have a fair chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Skibbereen. They must be outsourcing or something.

I've a lesson tomorrow (at 8am, I'll be lucky if I can even see the car) so I'll ask my instructor.. he's been very encouraging about my progress so far but I think he was counting on me having a good six months to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I did my first test within three months of getting my provisional. I didn't pass but I came close and it was worth the experience. I would definitely recommend it. I reapplied shortly afterwards and got the test on my second attempt, ten months after getting my provisional.

Do lots of lessons in the run up is my advice, it's well worth paying the money for a decent instructor and actually learning how to drive properly. Usually you will find that those who go around for years on provisionals are on them for a reason. If you want to do a test you should never be waiting for more than 3 to 4 weeks. Unless your a member of the PC brigade.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

ballooba wrote:
    If you want to do a test you should never be waiting for more than 3 to 4 weeks. Unless your a member of the PC brigade.

What do you mean by that?

feylya wrote:
    What do you mean by that?
    There are ways and there are means. Sometimes the loopholes in the system become so big, they become the system.

• Advertisement

As in sending in an employers' letter or do you have a better method?

feylya wrote:
    As in sending in an employers' letter or do you have a better method?
    That's the one. Has to be accompanied by regular phone calls asking for a cancellation.

Shame it's not an option for everyone wanting to do their test.

feylya wrote:
    Shame it's not an option for everyone wanting to do their test.
    I've never heard of anyone being pulled up for sending in a fictitious letter.

Also, I imagine given that there seems to be a lot of cancellations that a lot of the people bunging up the system are those who don't want to do their test and cancel when one comes up. I wonder how many cancellations are never re-assigned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

OP - you should get lessons and sit the test anyway.

My first test came up much earlier than I expected. I sat it and failed but it was a valuable experience. The second (successful) time I sat it was definitely less scary because I had done it before.

• Advertisement

I think you are more relaxed the second time definitely. When I went into the office the 2nd time I thought I had done well, but after all the horror stories you hear I never expected to pass. I definitely think you have valuable experience to gain from it. Give it your best shot but just re-apply if you don't get it. You will learn a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

In the worst scenario (i.e. you fail), you'll get pointers as to where you need improvement. Well worth sitting.

In the best, you pass. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

that's brilliant though, may be not for you, but for everyone else like myself who had to wait over a year for my test. maybe this outsourcing thing is actually going to work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

irishbird wrote:
    that's brilliant though, may be not for you, but for everyone else like myself who had to wait over a year for my test. maybe this outsourcing thing is actually going to work
    yeah in terms of the bigger picture I think it's great.

my instructor thinks if I practice like crazy I have a decent chance of passing. here's hoping...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Passed my test 3 weeks ago having only 7 lessons. First time I ever drove alone was on the day of test with the tester!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,991 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

alan4cult wrote:
    First time I ever drove alone was on the day of test with the tester!
    :confused: Was he/she there in spirit only? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

By alone I mean relying entirely on myself and with the formal approach of these testers you forget they are even in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

rain on wrote:

Has anyone here passed their test after driving for three months? It just seems so unlikely.

Piece of pi$$. Get as many miles in as you can and make sure you have a decent instructor.

I I applied for my provisional licence and as soon as I got it, never having driven I applied for the test. 10 week wait for the test (NI) and a pass first time.

It is possible. Just work hard at it, you will be able to do it.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Garth

alan4cult wrote:
    First time I ever drove alone was on the day of test with the tester!

That's actually the best way to do it (in fact should be the only way) because you've never been allowed to get lazy or learn bad habits. It's harder for idiots who "teach themselves" because they think they're deadly drivers because there's nobody there to tell them what they are doing wrong... same with people who say, "but I drive better when I'm by myself" ;)

PS: I had my provisional for 35 days when I passed my test at 17. Everything is possible.

Advertisement