Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Camcorder to buy?

Options
  • 04-06-2007 5:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi Folks......
    Hope i'm in the right place for this issue so here goes....
    I am presently in the market for a Camcorder as I have a young family and would like to record their growing up so i can embarrass them at a later date.

I was hoping u guys could inform be about which in your opinion is the best value for money camcorder........Which is the best format,i.e Hard Drive, mini Dv or actual dvd r/rw.....what do i need to be looking out for......

As you can guess any input is appreciated as i know feck all bout this stuff.....

slan agus go raibh maith agat
    p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Well if it's a bargain you're after try here...Linky

Not into camcorders myself so can't really comment. Link was also posted on the bargains thread and no negative replies about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,085 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

This US site might give you some information on what to look for.

http://www.camcorderinfo.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

i have a JVC harddrive camcorder and i can't fault it to be honest. its got a 2MP lens and 20GB harddrive. got it from germany 1.5 years ago. its a MG60, i think! at the best quality, it holds 4.5 hours of footage.

i know that is a sony High definition hdd one out there now and jvc have also released a HD one as well. would cost around 1000 euro though but it would have lastability!

buy online; its cheaper! the one i bought cost 660 euro delivered whereas here it would have costed 1 grand +

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

If you think you might need to edit footage after taking it, then don't go for DVD-R models. These compress to MPEG2 directly onto disc meaning that if you want to edit you have to open/slide/dice and recompress to MPEG2 again.

I had a mini-dv camera and the quality was very good, the tapes are a pain though, 60 to 90 minutes on each one. Windows XP and Vista can directly import footage from a connected Mini-DV cam which is an advantage. No complaints about it really, needed to buy a cleaning tape also.

However I now own a Sony High Def, Hard Disc recorder. It's considerably heavier and larger than the palm size mini-dv cameras but the quality of the recordings is far superior to mini-dv. I bought it in January and it has a 30GB HD built in. There is a new model announced now that has a 60GB HD.

These tend to be much more expensive than mini-dv cameras but with HDMI link up to enabled equipment it really shines. The format is some new hybrid developed by Sony and Panasonic. I don't know much about it, but it comes with all the software you'll need. It also takes very good widescreen still pictures too.

It comes down to your budget really. We all want the best we can afford and you'll get what you pay for I suppose.

Cheerio
    Howard

Advertisement