Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My latest experince with the Irish broadband market

Options
  • 04-06-2007 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Wasn't going to bother with this but after reading John White of PA consulting i tought what the hell, also i din't want to sound like a ranting lunatic. Went yet again to http://www.broadband.gov.ie/ and checked to see had anything changed and noticed http://www.fastnetbroadband.com, gave them a call and was given the number for http://www.zonebroadband.com,

gave them a call and asked could i avail of there services and was told that i couldn't, fair enough i tought, wasn't like i was expecting to hear anything other than yet another NO, about a week later i took the back way home (i live 2mls from the local exchange somewhat in the sticks and of course on a split line) anyway i noticed 2 houses about five mins away from me with panel boxes mounted on say 3meter poles and tought that can only mean one thing so i backed up droped in and asked if they were what i tought they were and was told yes which put rather a big smile on my face,

but that smile soon turned to confusion when i was told the the signal was from zonebroadband? asked the lady for the number and low and behold it was the same number that i had used. Next morning i gave zone a ring and the same lady that i had spoken to the week before answered the phone. I explained to her my story and she said she would post out the info needed and to post them back and i signal test would be arranged.

About 2 weeks later i got a call and was told the lads would be in my area the next day and to make sure that i had the cash for the instalation and to be in all day as she couldn't give me an excat time but that it would be in the PM:confused: Next day came and all i can say is i was worst than a little kid at christmass.

Morning and afternnon came and went and it was about 4:30PM when i called the office to ask if the "lads" were in fact in my area and was told they were but then 6 o'clock came and it was clear that if the were in my area the"lads" had no way of contacting me to say they wouldn'd be around today and that we were sorry but we would be with you first thing in the morning.

Called the office again at 11:30AM next morning and was told the "lads" were in my area and that i would be hearing from them today. Some time latter that day i got a call from the "lads" and was asked for directions which i gave as i had many times before to broadband providers. About an hr latter i get another call to say that we haven't a ****ing clue where we are and that i must have given the wrong direstions? asked where they were and found they were about 15mls in the wrong direction, told them to stay where they were and that i would drive out to meet them and they could follow me back.

Got out to where they were drove back to my house and was greeted by two very very hungover "lads" and lets just say things really started to go down hill from there:rolleyes: and to make a long long story somewhat short;) I was told that i couldn't get a signal for fastnet and there was noting i could do. "Lads" packed up and left and i rang the office to say there was no signal but that if they were upgrading anypart of the network to please keep my details on record and give me a call if things changed. Now i know that wireless can be somewhat fickel and tought thoese other two houses are in a far far worst position than me and yet they have a signal so i got out my tools and already had a couple DIY omni and directional antennas.

Now take my word for it when i say that these are very low tech devices, im talking pringles and an old mmds aeriel soldered to a very old 11b wifi card via 20meters of rg58 cable. carried out my own signal test a what do you know, i get a 5 bar signal from fastnet with noting more than xp pro software and a really bad diy setup, pluged all hardware out and went up on the roof again with a $20 wifi finder and what do you know i get a 5 bar reading.

With this very non scientific data i call the nice lady and explain what had happend to which she said "I shouldn't really say this but we have had more than a few complaints about our contractors.

She then gave me the number of the chief engineer who was in fact in my area and was told to tell him what i had told her which i did and asked if i could just get another signal test done but not by the two that had been out to me to which he said yes of course and as he was in the area he would be out himself in an hr or so and that he was very sorry for what had gone on at my house, That was a month ago....and not a word since..

I've tried to keep this two hr ordeal as short as i could but when i say "what had gone on at my house" i'm talking aggressive behavior, rudeness damage to the lead work on the roof and slight damage to tv 3 aerial

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

To make matters worse, zone / fastnet use satellite backhaul as well .

lucky escape there. is premier bb not in your area or have you sent a pM to bigpaddy2004 who may know more about wireless in Laois .

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Sponge Bob wrote:
    To make matters worse, zone / fastnet use satellite backhaul as well .

lucky escape there. is premier bb not in yoru area or have you sent a pM to bigpaddy2004 who may know more about wireless in Laois .

I've called premier twice a year for the last 3yrs and been told the same thing even though there site askes are you in the Ballyfin/Mountrath area and cann't get broadband to which the answer is yes..but the real answer is NO but call us back latter in the year when were puting up a mast that will have a reach of 25mls?:rolleyes: i was told by what sounded like a 10yr old on the phone last friday and to call back yet again latter in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Yet another example of Irish customer service. It's like they're doing you a favor. How far are you from a 3G mast?

Yet another example of Irish customer service. It's like they're doing you a favor. How far are you from a 3G mast?

Not sure where the 3G mast is, i think it may very well be in Portlaois as any time im over there my K800i picks up a 3G signal. From the maps i've seen where i live its yellow which is GSM as far as i know. i did however one day during the couple of weeks of very fine weather we had have a 3G icon on my phone which lasted a few hrs but noting since or before...

digiweb ???

they have 3.5ghz in Mountrath and have recently (May) been allowed to increase the service area under the revised 3.5Ghz scheme .

not as cheap as metro but bates sats any day .

Wireless
    Homewave Lite
    € 29.95
    Homewave
    1Mb
    €34.99
    Bizwave
    1Mb
    €47.19
    Bizwave Enhanced
    1Mb
    €84.69
    Bizwave Enterprise
    2Mb
    €157.29

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Not sure where 3G have there mast, i think they may very well have one in Portlaois as any time im over there my K800i picks up a 3G signal which is a little red combined 3G icon, from the maps i've seen where i live its yellow which is GSM as far as i know. i did however one day during the couple of weeks of very fine weather we had have a 3G icon on my phone which lasted a few hrs but noting since or before...
    Yellow on the map, wow with an external 3G antenna setup you might be in luck. I was about to do this and I was only in green part about 4 miles. But, I finally got DSL so I never set it up. You should look into it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

I've called premier twice a year for the last 3yrs and been told the same thing even though there site askes are you in the Ballyfin/Mountrath area and cann't get broadband to which the answer is yes..but the real answer is NO but call us back latter in the year when were puting up a mast that will have a reach of 25mls?:rolleyes: i was told by what sounded like a 10yr old on the phone last friday and to call back yet again latter in the year

I understand your situation but really I do not think there is any need for critisism like that. We keep telling our potential customers whom keep ringing to try again in a few months as we are constantly installing new access points.

Sponge Bob wrote:
    digiweb ???

they have 3.5ghz in Mountrath and have recently (May) been allowed to increase the service area under the revised 3.5Ghz scheme .

not as cheap as metro but bates sats any day .

Wireless
    Homewave Lite
    € 29.95
    Homewave
    1Mb
    €34.99
    Bizwave
    1Mb
    €47.19
    Bizwave Enhanced
    1Mb
    €84.69
    Bizwave Enterprise
    2Mb
    €157.29

Thanks for that bob. Saw in Mountrath about two weeks ago that Digiweb had changed the location of there basestation and gave them a call but was told that this was not the case and that they should know but i droped into the buisness and asked and they said yes that i was Digiwebs and that i had gone live. Called Digiweb again and asked for a site survey only to be told that as this would be my third survey i would have to pay whatever amount the charge is which i'd be happly to pay, serveral times over..

So i went to the site and went for the Bizwave Enhanced package and just waiting for the post office to open in the morning to send them back. Off the top of your head what would you say my chances are with the 3.5Ghz scheme? I'd say i live at the very very most 2 & half mls from the basestation and have a pretty good line of sight of the town .

Won't hold my breath cos Sorry and no are soul destorying after yrs and yrs and yrs but of all providers i would prefer Digiweb as any dealings i've had in the past were good...apart from the no and sorry

I understand your situation but really I do not think there is any need for critisism like that. We keep telling our potential customers whom keep ringing to try again in a few months as we are constantly installing new access points.

Paddy! really, you consider that critisism?
    With out geting of topic please tell me which part of the post do you think is unfair, untrue, or to critical? I was as honest with my response to the point of quoting almost word for word on my last conversation. You have been telling me to call back every couple months now for some years. Please...

It wont make any difference to digiweb at that range I would say...just an idea as the rules have changed .

I would advise anyone who had a marginal fail to ask for their results to be reviewed in case they would now pass but thats at 10km maybe.

oh and JPB, if you have neighbours with this same BB problem would you host one of Paddys many small APs if he asked nicely ??:D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,494 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

johnplayerblue, please add paragraphs to your posts in future as it makes it very hard for people to read otherwise.

I've added them to your post to make things easier for people,

Sponge Bob wrote:
    It wont make any difference to digiweb at that range I would say...just an idea as the rules have changed .

I would advise anyone who had a marginal fail to ask for their results to be reviewed in case they would now pass but thats at 10km maybe.

oh and JPB, if you have neighbours with this same BB problem would you host one of Paddys many small APs if he asked nicely ??:D

I've been somewhat critical of bigpaddy in the past(but not this time) so i somewhat doubt he would ask me. But if he did ask me nicley or other wise i would of course say yes if it was of any help to premier bb.
    That said, it would be a little akward if the service was less than advertised then paddy would sureley know what critisism really sounds like. Only one thing truley worst than having no broadband is paying for poor broadband.

Cabaal wrote:
    johnplayerblue, please add paragraphs to your posts in future as it makes it very hard for people to read otherwise.

I've added them to your post to make things easier for people,

I see what you mean. Sorry, will do so in the furture.

Sponge Bob wrote:

I was just thinking about the last time a Digiweb enigenier was out with me and what he said.
    He could pick up the access point but couldn't get a signal? The more i think of it the more hopefull i am this time round...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

Johnplayerblue, I am in this business because I was once in your boat, so I know exactly how you feel right now. This is why we never let people loose hope if we know we are going to service the area at sometime. I truly believe your comment of "someone who sounded like a 10yr old" was a deliberate bash at us. To be fair about it, we never did anything wrong on you, you are not even a customer of ours. I am leaving it at that.

Johnplayerblue, I am in this business because I was once in your boat, so I know exactly how you feel right now. This is why we never let people loose hope if we know we are going to service the area at sometime. I truly believe your comment of "someone who sounded like a 10yr old" was a deliberate bash at us. To be fair about it, we never did anything wrong on you, you are not even a customer of ours. I am leaving it at that.
    Paddy i'm sorry if you perceived it to be a dig at you or premier bb, it really wasn't intended that way but as i said i was as truthful as possable and the guy i spoke to did sound like a ten yr old, not sure if it was you but if it was then you do and i can't see how that would reflect upon your company as a service provider...it was a throw away remarke...

Advertisement