Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unexpected shutdown XP

• 04-06-2007 6:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Running a machine with the spec below. PC is shutting down and restarting intermittently. No now upgrades lately etc.Nothing in particular seems to cause the problem - i.e its not stopping repeatly at the same point in a game etc.
    Scans for spyware virus etc clean
    Been to the Microsoft website - usual ashtray on a Harley advice from there - any ideas on how to solve this one ?
    Ta

1.7 AMD athlon, 748m RAM ,Windows XP SP2, 256m GEFORCE 7600,Firefox browser. AVG7.5 ,Zonealarm,Adaware,Mailwasher

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭tak

What application are you running as it stops ?

Age of your working hard drive = ?

Any ideas from Event Viewer ?

Tak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Could be one of a number of causes the usual suspects being:
    1: overheating of either CPU or graphics card - accumulation of dust etc.. on heatsinks thus they need a good cleaning via a vacuum cleaner and airduster.
    2: the power supply may be giving trouble, it too might be overheating, I have had two go that way in recent years.
    3: apart from the usual spyware etc.. other problems on the old HD may be corupt files, so you could try to check the disk you can use "chkdsk/f" which will check the disc after a reboot or my personal one is to use the tools tab in the disc properties of the drive and select the two options after you have click the check now button. But note that this a long disc check and reboot, can be up to 45 minutes depending on the HD size, it goes through 5 stages rather than the 3 stages that chkdsk does normally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭playstation

My advice, run system restor (Start/help and support/Performance/system restore/run wizard) Hope this helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

h2s wrote:
    Could be one of a number of causes the usual suspects being:
    1: overheating of either CPU or graphics card - accumulation of dust etc.. on heatsinks thus they need a good cleaning via a vacuum cleaner and airduster

I would safely say its definitely heat releated like h2s said above but I would not recommend cleaning out dust on your HSF\GFX with a vacuum cleaner as that can cause static.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭h2s

Auvers wrote:
    I would safely say its definitely heat releated like h2s said above but I would not recommend cleaning out dust on your HSF\GFX with a vacuum cleaner as that can cause static.

Fair point about the Static. However I have found that by using an airduster and the vacuum, not letting the vacuum actually touching anything, but more for sucking away the dust blown out by the duster.

Perhaps a two person job at times.

• Advertisement
Advertisement