Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cable connectors

Options
  • 04-06-2007 7:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to get a new graphics card for my dell.
    I opened it up and noticed that I've no standard ide power connectors.
    Theres a power cable going down to the sata drives ,
    My question is ,can I split the sata power cable with a Y connection and then use an adapter to change it to an ide type connection.

I've read that I can't use the floppy drive power cable ,because it's too small.

Basically I need a sata power splitter and a sata-ide power converter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

This "ide " connection you are talking bout is called a molex connctor.

which card did u settle on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Hi ,I went for the asus 7900GS ,just to be safe.

But I don't know where I'm going to power it from. The only power connections I have are two sata's and a small floppy connection.

I don't suppose the card will work without power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

The card will work but not in 3D without problems occurring.

That is a tricky one indeed no molex connections only SATA and your certain there is no PCI-e power connector as that kind of PSU should have one if it's all SATA.

Can't say I've seen any SATA->molex or SATA->PCI-e adapters so you might need a new PSU if no-one knows of such a thing.

What make Dell is it ?

It's a dimension e520 ,the psu is a NH493

I was going to unscrew the psu and see if there is an aux or something.
    But I don't want to riddle the machine with static, unless I have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

dont open your psu. The capacitors can hold onto a dangerouse amoun of charge.

• Advertisement

I think I'll forget about it. There doesn't seem to be anything I can use to convert the sata power cable.

It's not like dell don't know what they're doing :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Okay here is the weird thing I looked up Dell's service manuals and they show the PSU comes with the standard molex power connectors.

The part number you gave I also looked up and found people selling the part on the net and a picture of it here shows it to has molex power connectors however another one actually from an E520 system shows the kind you have. Though in the bottom left hand corner it looks like that one has a white molex connector or at least looking at one from behind.

I managed to find a SATA->Molex power adapter going for only $9 bucks so you only need two but the site is in the US & I don't know if they ship outside it (though not a problem with a mail forwarder).

Other option is to scour eBay for such an item like the one above or replace the PSU.

Thanks 8T8 for the info ,I ended up cancelling the overclock order because of the molex problem.

I don't think it's worth my while ,exploiting the dell with any more cash. I'd probably best to wait a few months and buy a new machine with a good gfx card.
    The dell does what I bought it for ,which is mostly photography stuff with some music and video.
    I really wasn't expecting to be playing games at all ,but I can't get over how good the games are after getting in the last five years.
    The X1300 card struggles ,but it gives me an idea of what the games are like.

Again ,thanks for the help. It's not gone to waste ,I will definetly be taking advantage of the info you and the others have given me.
    Get myself a games only machine.

Cheers,
    Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

dont open your psu. The capacitors can hold onto a dangerouse amoun of charge.

Yea dont... One time I was going at mine and it blew about half a foot away from my head.

Not nice ringing noise I tell you

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

Advertisement