Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope for a .243

Options
  • 04-06-2007 7:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭

Gentlemen

I am in the process of buying my first deer rifle. I have been shooting for years, mainly phesant/woodcock etc and bought my first rifle a few years ago.

I want to buy a decent .243 as a starting point and take it from there. I know I must get the rifle first and get the scope to suit but I am looking for some indications as to what I should be looking for. I have been advised the minimum price should be €600 or €300 depending on the sales man!!!!!
    I am looking for a dawn/dust scope so something that will gather a lot of light.

I know that range/price range is vast but some pointers would be appreciated....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

3/12x50.As recommended by Malcom Cooper/Accruacy International for that calibre.You have both short and long range varibles there.Now as the old adage is,spend the money on the scope and the change on the rifle.What brand of rifle are you going for??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

kerryman12 wrote:
    I am looking for a dawn/dust scope so something that will gather a lot of light.

Since you mentioned light gathering the brand I associate most with that is below, I just missed out on a good deal for a second hand one too :( (Have yet to advertise my Nightforce).

Schmidt & Bender 8 x 56 would be in that price range. There are German and Hungarian versions, either would do, the Hungarian is cheaper as it's assembled in Hungary but the parts come from Germany.

Swarovski (spelling), Kahles, Nightforce would also be top end scopes worth a look.

If you're not in a rush and take the time to look around you may get a good secondhand deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭kerryman12

I had more or less decided on a ruger M77 stainless barrel but after a closer look I am not so impressed on the build quality. At the moment the front runner is a Tikka. But cant decide on weather i want stainless or not. I have a leopold bore sighter, which is magnetic - brillent yoke. But stainless isnt magnetic so would have to start from scratch on that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

Whats your budget CZ make a very good rifle at a reasonable price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

kerryman12 wrote:
    I have a leopold bore sighter, which is magnetic - brillent yoke. But stainless isnt magnetic so would have to start from scratch on that one.
    There's stainless and there's stainless.
    The sh1te used for the manufacture of milking machine tubes and the like usually isn't magnetic, but many 'good quality' stainless steels are magnetic.

I've just tried my own Leupold bore sighter on the two stainless barrels I've got (Remington and Smith & Wesson), and it sticks to them like a limpet.

More info here-
    http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae546.cfm

• Advertisement

the budget is about €1000 for the rifle, scope - mounts - bipod ontop of that.

Saw a lovely styer this morning €1050 second hand in stainless but in great nick. Also saw a lovely Tikka. Cant afford a new sako or styer. realistically it will be a remington 700 or a tikka.

I will check out again the story with the leopold. I reckon a stainless rifle would hold its value better for trading in later etc.

Anyone here of a ABS scope? saw it this morning, any opinions?

CZ are a very well made gun and will leave you money for a good scope which is more important thant the rifle in some cases. Def worth a look

Theres a steyr 6.5x55 in the buy and sell @850

i will check out the CZ next chance i get

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭sixpointfive

id be goin with the steyr, fantastic rifle, brilliant accuracy, safe bolt system and hair trigger as standard, have had several and wouldnt fault them

well to be honest I though that the styer was out of my price range. But yesterday I was quoted €1100 for a new rifle with blued barrel/syntecic stock or €1450 for the same rifle with mounts and A10 moderator. This has me really interested.

On saturday I was quoted €1090 for a second hand styer - but in very good nick. The guy advise even as a second hand it was a better option than the Tikka new!!!

This says a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

have you checked out the cz yet i saw someone advised you to?

i have the cz 527 .22 hornet i love it its a great rifle and comes with the hair trigger as standard aswell...........

in the same boat though looking for a decent scope was looking at a tasco 10-40x50 on the net if anyone knows what this is like can they get back to me i use it for hunting and target!

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hezz700

have you checked out the cz yet i saw someone advised you to?

i have the cz 527 .22 hornet i love it its a great rifle and comes with the hair trigger as standard aswell...........

in the same boat though looking for a decent scope was looking at a tasco 10-40x50 on the net if anyone knows what this is like can they get back to me i use it for hunting and target!

I had a 3-9x40 tasco scope a couple of years back and i hated it with a passion, the thing would literally stop giving a view at the first sight of dusk. they're might be better models about now but i don't know. spend as much as you possibly can to get the best you can afford.

Hezz

Good tascos are rare and hard to find theres so many copies around the place that id stay well clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Good tascos are rare and hard to find theres so many copies around the place that id stay well clear.

seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Go for a kahles they are unreal exceptionaly crisp and clear and gives you 100% performance right up to dark i have a helia 3x10x50 model on my tikka .223 and am very glad i got it.I use it for foxing but it would make a superb stalking scope.I got mine in lakelands shooting grounds.

tikkamark wrote:
    Go for a kahles they are unreal exceptionaly crisp and clear and gives you 100% performance right up to dark i have a helia 3x10x50 model on my tikka .223 and am very glad i got it.I use it for foxing but it would make a superb stalking scope.I got mine in lakelands shooting grounds.

cheers for that il look them up. were is lakelands shooting grounds?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

cheers for that il look them up. were is lakelands shooting grounds?
    They are in mullingar i think they are one of only two or three shops in the country selling them.Belive me they are one of the best scope manufactures in the world they are also the longest established company making them.also go to there homepage there is a true story about one of there scopes that a hunter lost on a mountain it really says alot about them.I looked through the entire zeiss range and two smidth bender scopes and the kahles was far better:cool:

i found them on an ameriacn site and unfortunately they are out of my budget pity cause iv found a few good things said about them

Advertisement