Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Faking an extreme zoom

• 04-06-2007 8:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi Folks,
    I'm looking to do an extreme zoom on a subject starting from about 400m away and ending in an extreme close-up 1-2 seconds later. Note: my camera won't allow such a zoom. Anyone got any editing suggestions on how to achieve it and make it look realistic,
    cheers in advance,
    reece

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Set the camera up at the greatest distance, perform the maximum zoom, then move the camera forward in straight line the lenth of the zoom (should be on the lens, and redo the same over and over. I would imagine when you cut them together it'll look ok. I've never tried though. As it's so fast you won't notice the cuts (best to use 2 frame fades) Try it out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

cheers, will give it a go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Let me know how you get on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭edanto

the easiest way to do it is to get a really high res photo camera( or a hd cam )
    and take a much wider shot with more res then you can perform a digital zoom without loss of image quality.

You have to lock off your video cam with the shot before and after then take the photo cam and stick it in the plate of the tripod and take your photo fix, then mix and atch in post production.

it definitely works it just depends on how good your photo cam is.

hope that helps.

Advertisement