Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I was banned for being a woman!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

gandalf wrote:
    Guys can you give up all the crap. The OP had every right to query their banning as they did not receive a PM. At this stage I am assuming its for personal abuse unless the mod that banned her posts their reason here.

Something about seaking legal advice on boards about sueing boards, doesn't sit right with me. Nor does this "It's because I'm a woman" line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

I love how all the boards guys go on these mad brave sexist jokeathons and then leer and drool over anything that looks remotely female at a boards beer.

Way to keep up that macho internet image ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭David Michael

Where did the OP suggest taking legal action against boards? :confused:

All I can see is some people mentioning that if the OP did there would be issues. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

All I can see is some people mentioning that if the OP did there would be issues. :confused:
    She created the thread in Legal Discussion.
    Implied: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=53370134&postcount=7

But, seriously, people - I thought we agreed to wait until page 2 of these things before spamming & flaming?

Keep in mind orginally posted in the Legal Discussion forum
    It would definitely be a legal matter, I think. I'm going to test it out, anyway. All the way to the top, lads.

• Advertisement

Karoma wrote:

But, seriously, people - I thought we agreed to wait until page 2 of these things before spamming & flaming?

Judging by her post she asked for advise (none relating to legal action against boards) and mentioned if it was not the right board that the post be moved.

I fail to see the implied?

Karoma wrote:

In fairness, it looks to me like she thought the Legal Discussions forum was like boards.ie's court of arbitration and she meant take it to the top here (ie. the Admins). She specifically said that sueing boards wasn't what she intended.

When asked by Ibid if she was planning on taking boards.ie to court
    That won't be necessary

Jesus lads, if you're that desperate for drama, go read PI.

{EDIT} Karoma, will you change your name back to Amorak, I keep confusing you with Kaimera ;)

psi wrote:

When asked by Ibid if she was planning on taking boards.ie to court

That was after it was pointed out that the Corinthian didn't ban her

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Im with psi on this issue also. The OP's words in this thread were "All the way to the top, lads.". My reading of that was that she intended to pursue the matter as far as, she put it, management. She obviously meant the admins which is a far cry from threatening boards.ie with legal action. Ibid was too quick out of the blocks to accuse her of threatening legal action when in fact she didnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

At any rate now, it's moot (*If* it was a legal threat, it was withdrawn) - so, um, back the original matter at hand?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭SoBe

Karoma wrote:
    At any rate now, it's moot (*If* it was a legal threat, it was withdrawn) - so, um, back the original matter at hand?

good point.so why was she out of the kitchen? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

muffler wrote:
    Ibid was too quick out of the blocks to accuse her of threatening legal action when in fact she didnt.
    It would definitely be a legal matter, I think. I'm going to test it out, anyway. All the way to the top, lads.
    That's being too quick out of the blocks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Not in my book FWIW

And that's why we need catpics here, preferably those which depict fytin 4 justis and whatnot.

Ibid wrote:
    That's being too quick out of the blocks?

In the context of her first post being in the Legal forum...why would it not be a legal matter?

So yeah tbh.

you think she went there looking for advice on how to sue boards? Like "ohh I am banned best seek advice on how to sue!!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sylvesterallein

>If you dispense with the need for conscience, I think the term for you is psychopath, and we are then in a different area outside of rational discussion.>

This was the way I read it, addressed to nobody in particular, at the end of an argument Maireadmarie was trying to make to do with the difficulties of remaining a non-practising paedophile if it's something you spend a lotta time thinking about.

I don't know if anyone here has studied psychology, but psychopath doesn't have quite the meaning popularly attributed to it.

I think you need to go back and take a look, to be fair and impartial to that poster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

In the context of her first post being in the Legal forum...why would it not be a legal matter?

So yeah tbh.

you think she went there looking for advice on how to sue boards? Like "ohh I am banned best seek advice on how to sue!!"
    Sorry, but that post makes no sense to me.

So yeah tbh.

Well it wouldn't exactly be un heard of.

She specifically said she felt it was a legal matter that that she was going to test it out and take it all the way to the top. Taken at face value there is only one way to read that. However, factor in her apparently lack of understanding as to how boards works, it becomes more reasonable that she way have viewed the legal recourse forum as some form of feedback/appeals forum, and in doing so redefined what is considered a legal matter to merely an unfounded rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wow.

When I first saw maireadmarie's post in Humanties, my thoughts were "Moral outrage tourist". As in, User A tours internet fora in search of things to get worked up about. User B says, "hey I know a great site where everyone's morally bankrupt". User A rushes off to check it out. User A posts that she's genuinely appalled, then runs off in self satisfaction to tell everyone, before people can shout "but Bonsai Kitten was just a hoax!".

User A: "Felt so good to be offended!".

In case you're wondering what the hell I'm talking about, check out this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055102398

I thought that was enough to make me hate her, but now I see this thread, and boy it's made my day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I was posting on a thread in Humanities, and the moderator, Corinthian, didn't like my comments, obviously, because he has banned me! I copied what he wrote, below. Is this a valid reason for being banned on Boards.ie?
    The thread is "Paedophiles are not Perverts".
    If I've posted this in the wrong place, could you send me to the proper one, please?
    I am particularly unhappy with the fact that Corinthian is prejudiced against women, and obviously against Muslims too! I am not, by the way, Muslim.
    Roffle. It's times like this that I'm reminded that the average on the IQ bell curve is only 100.

I am not a moderator of the board in question so I didn't and couldn't ban you. Incidentally, N8 PM'ed me asking if/why he'd been banned and I responded to him that it looked like it, I didn't know why, but he should take it to feedback. As for women and Muslims... the whooshing sound you can hear is the point I was making going over your head.

But, at least you gave me something to laugh at this evening ;)
    All advice appreciated.
    No. I won't :rolleyes:

I believe we have the new metrovelvet :)

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

You werent banned for being female. Thats dumb and you know it.

PM the mod of Humanities, they are listed bottom right of the threads listing page.

Anything further, PM me. Personally, I dont think you are going to like Boards.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Hey, looks like my positive vibe antennae are out of whack as this has gone pearshaped! :( Where's that cat with the hard hat and monkey wrench?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

psi wrote:
    I believe we have the new metrovelvet :)

Good. Maybe you can find someone else to obsess over. I will never love you psi.

Good. Maybe you can find someone else to obsess over. I will never love you psi.

Don't flatter yourself :)

Maybe you should embrace Jesus to find love for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭N8

Funny can't get into the thread "Paedophiles aren't perverts" thread myself.

If I have been banned it wasn't Corinthian and if I were it could only have been because I asked a poster was he a paedophile.

The posterin question has since answered he is a paedophile.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I was banned for being a woman! Reply to Thread

Good Lord, is that the best reason you could come up with for being banned?
    In the history of Boards, nobody has ever been banned for being a woman, however, they have been banned for being one of the following: an idiot, a muppet, a troll, a shill, a pimp, for personal abuse or for breaking the forum charter.
    Do the rest of Boards female population a favour and think next time before posting, it makes the rest of us look bad.
    If you are going to stick around this site, I suggest you take the time to see how this place works and read forum charters before posting. It will make your life a lot easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Beruthiel wrote:
    Do the rest of Boards female population a favour and think next time before posting, it makes the rest of us look bad.

Jeez, I think that's a fairly shocking statement. If you truly believe that its a shocking indictment of the male population of boards.

Neither gender has a monopoly on newbies or eejits or troublemakers (i'm not sure where the OP falls), and I think anyone who spends anytime on boards will realise that that is self-evident. I don't think one misguided/confused/trolling person in feedback should reflect badly on other users.

I find the perception that that would be the case indicates a sexism with the boards.ie system, and is far more worrying than the OPs case.

Do female users have a precarious relationship with male users regarding respect and the unwritten rules of behaviour?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭maireadmarie

And Good Morning to you too, Beruthiel. Well, I'm learning a lot on the boards, I am. And I'm taking it all on board, believe me.
    Don't worry too much about appearances, I mean it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I can confirm that you've both been banned from Humanities, but I can't confirm why.

As far as I can see, MiCr0 was keeping a good eye on that thread, so it's most likely that he was the one who banned you.

PM him and ask him nicely if he did it, and if so why.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I don't think one misguided/confused/trolling person in feedback should reflect badly on other users.

There's no tongue in cheek smiley.... :/
    marie wrote:
    Don't worry too much about appearances

I never have

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement